Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA and US cross program and merged FFP upgrade questions (merged threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2015, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA and US cross program and merged FFP upgrade questions
Upgrade peculiarities and anomalies through 16 Oct / prior to CSS / PSS merger
Please contribute summary information and links to key posts here in this wikipost!

See Elite status benefits" on aa.com, in particular upgrade benefits on AA and US by status.

"Our combined loyalty program" on aa.com. In particular:

Upgrades

Now that we’ve combined loyalty programs, all complimentary upgrades on eligible flights will be auto-requested. However, elite upgrade policies will vary by airline until we combine reservation systems later in 2015 (17 October 2015).

Now that we’ve combined loyalty programs, all complimentary upgrades on eligible flights will be auto-requested. However, elite upgrade policies will vary by airline until we combine reservation systems later in 2015 (17 October 2015).

Learn more about elite upgrades

To make sure you’re eligible for elite upgrades, you should book flights that are marketed and operated by the same airline – either US Airways or American. If you’re booked on a codeshare flight, you’ll only be able to upgrade when you check in, and as always, upgrades are based on availability.

To summarize:
  • Purchase on AA.com or anywhere else + AA flight number + AA operated = OK
  • Purchase on AA.com or anywhere else + AA flight number + US operated = Upgrade/waitlist at OLCI
  • Purchase on AA.com or anywhere else + US flight number + US operated = OK
  • Purchase on US.com or anywhere else + US flight number + US operated = OK
  • Purchase on US.com or anywhere else + US flight number + AA operated = Upgrade/waitlist at OLCI
  • Purchase on US.com + AA flight number + AA operated = Impossible, no AA-marketed flights sold on US.com

How to book flights marketed and operated by the same airline

See the Major Merger Updated >13 March thread for upgrades updates: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...dates-etc.html (full cross-airline upgrade compatibility will occur "later this year" when the SHARES PSS has been merged into Sabre. [/hl]Until then AA and US recommend not booking each other's codeshares with intent to upgrade.[/hl]

This is the merged, master thread about securing upgrades in the "merged AA but still operating as separate airlines" when flying with mixed ticketing, the "other" airline than the one with the flyer's frequent flyer program or status, etc. As it is a merged thread, there may be some thread discontinuity; we apologise for any difficulties.

The information below reflects the wiki in AA / US Reciprocal Elite Benefits [Master Thread]

Thanks to FT member ashill for valuable contributions to this wiki.

Print Wikipost

AA and US cross program and merged FFP upgrade questions (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2014, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by martinpj
And how does one do that since my flight is in 10 hours?
At the airport.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 6:51 am

It has been hit or miss with me for months. A few times I have had upgrades clear automatically (no idea why). When I ask GAs, I have *mostly* been told that all upgrades (as US elite) must be paid. But a few have upgraded me manually for free. I've ended up with an upgrade either automatically or manually probably 33% of the time.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 11:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR Silver
Last month, as US GLD and PLT, I was 5 for 6 Y to F upgrades on my domestic legs in 2 class planes. Each required me to hit up an agent at some point - either when checking my bag, or with a gate agent on departure, or one of the desk agents in the Admiral's Clubs.

All upgrades had to be paid for either by CC or with E500s out of my AA account, but would have been complimentary had I been US CP at the time, I think.

I was 0 for 4 Y to C upgrades on long haul overseas segments. I had terrible priority as a US GLD/PLT, since AA.com wouldn't let me check in online, meaning I didn't get onto the U/G list until I made it to the airport, and US elites still rank(ed?) below AA elites on AA.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by Frindle
US CP can now be waitlisted, day of, but only US CP (Emerald).
Doesn't matter what status you are on US, but no elites including CP can be added to the airport list for an upgrade on an AA flight. There is a "back-end" way that agents can add CPs to the upgrade list but technically they aren't supposed to.

Its nice when it happens but by no means something that should be expected.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 3:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
This is one of the many interim (often unfair in impact) policies and rules cobbed together we'll all be forced to endure until full integration / consolidation occurs.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by milesandmoremiles
Doesn't matter what status you are on US, but no elites including CP can be added to the airport list for an upgrade on an AA flight. There is a "back-end" way that agents can add CPs to the upgrade list but technically they aren't supposed to.

Its nice when it happens but by no means something that should be expected.
Might wanna check again, this changed recently.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 4:24 pm

Might wanna check again, this changed recently.
It hasn't changed. Do you have an email, website, etc. that says otherwise?

I travel on AA flights every week and always have to ask for the backend way to get on the upgrade list if the established LFBU process doesn't work. Some agents will do it but some won't. Those that say no I don't fault because its not technically something they should be doing.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by milesandmoremiles
It hasn't changed.
Ok, keep thinking that, it doesn't make a difference to me.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I was flying AA CLT-DFW after Thanksgiving, and at the gate was chatting with a very frustrated US CP heading to DFW and then connecting internationally, who had been unable to upgrade any of his legs. I'd cleared as an AA GLD at the 24 hour mark. He'd been unable to get upgraded in advance, and unable to get on the list. I mentioned to him that a couple of hours before the flight, the seat map was still showing a few open F seats. He went to talk to the GA, who told him he could upgrade but he'd have to buy 2 stickers, even as CP.

The flight went out with open F seats and him in the back.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 5:28 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Circuits
Last month, as US GLD and PLT, I was 5 for 6 Y to F upgrades on my domestic legs in 2 class planes. Each required me to hit up an agent at some point - either when checking my bag, or with a gate agent on departure, or one of the desk agents in the Admiral's Clubs.

All upgrades had to be paid for either by CC or with E500s out of my AA account, but would have been complimentary had I been US CP at the time, I think.

I was 0 for 4 Y to C upgrades on long haul overseas segments. I had terrible priority as a US GLD/PLT, since AA.com wouldn't let me check in online, meaning I didn't get onto the U/G list until I made it to the airport, and US elites still rank(ed?) below AA elites on AA.
I would like to know specifically the process of how you can pay for upgrades with credits from an AAdvantage account when you're using an US number. I have 4 left and it's a struggle to use them because the Platinum desk told me there is no way to get this done and I have to use the AAdvantage number, get the credits deducted from that account and then add the US FF# for miles credit. If there's another way to get this to work without having to switch FF numbers, I'd like to know about it.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 8:55 pm

Ok, keep thinking that, it doesn't make a difference to me.
Do you have evidence to back this up other than anecdotal evidence? Email stating this "new" policy, website showing this policy, etc. The policy is what it is and like I said there is a work-around but its technically not something that should be done.

I've been on 10 AA flights in the last 3 weeks and the only time I got on the upgrade list when not upgraded during OLCI was the back-end function because the normal way of adding somebody to the upgrade list doesn't work for a US Chairmans. The system bounces it back as an invalid aadvantage number.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
And with AA's removal of X space from EF, no alerts, so this entire upgrade policy is VERY customer unfriendly and shows how cheap Dougie is willing to go, even though it pisses off his best customers.

I'm very, very glad to be both CP and EXP, makes my life much easier being able to pick either carrier. But I feel for CPs that need to fly AA. At least US-operated flights have a much easier/better upgrade policy for AA elites.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 2:55 pm

Programs: US Chair | SPG Life/Plat | Nat'l Exec Elite
Frindle is right. Policy on this changed mid-day on Tues the 9th (or at least I was told). I'm CP and had two segments on Tuesday... on my first flight, AA agent at the counter said she couldn't add me to the upgrade list. I tried again at the counter for my connecting flight and AA agent said "we literally just got a note on this, the computer should now let me do it." She pulled up the new memo, followed the steps and voila, I jumped to the top of the upgrade list... a few minutes later I was sitting up front enjoying a lay-flat. It's a Band-Aid... but it'll do until we get into the sweeps.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 3:45 pm

I am CP and flew on AA Friday the 12th, and they were unable to add me to the upgrade list in either DEN or DFW. I was rebooked today on AA because my US flight was delayed. When on the phone with US I asked about upgrades and they told me that I was eligible to be added to the AA upgrade list and to ask at the gate. The gate agent told me it wasn't possible and even turned computer screen around to show me that it produced an error when he tried. He was very apologetic but there are at least 7 empty seats in F on this flight and I am stuck in the back when I should get the free upgrade.

I wish they just told us it wasn't possible, that's easier to swallow then getting your hopes up when looking at an empty F on EF and still not clearing.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 3:52 pm
Suspended

Post I got your "evidence" right heeeere (please say with Sopranos inflection)

It is indeed the case. The change was made Dec. 8th in a Star that begins:
CHAIRMAN'S PREFERRED ON PALL LIST

In an effort to provide a more balanced opportunity for lus chairman’s preferred customers to receive complimentary upgrades on aa flights, we are allowing them to be placed on the standby list for processing at the gate.
rest of detail here:

http://www.travelingbetter.com/showt...2943#post42943

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.