Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA and US cross program and merged FFP upgrade questions (merged threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2015, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA and US cross program and merged FFP upgrade questions
Upgrade peculiarities and anomalies through 16 Oct / prior to CSS / PSS merger
Please contribute summary information and links to key posts here in this wikipost!

See Elite status benefits" on aa.com, in particular upgrade benefits on AA and US by status.

"Our combined loyalty program" on aa.com. In particular:

Upgrades

Now that we’ve combined loyalty programs, all complimentary upgrades on eligible flights will be auto-requested. However, elite upgrade policies will vary by airline until we combine reservation systems later in 2015 (17 October 2015).

Now that we’ve combined loyalty programs, all complimentary upgrades on eligible flights will be auto-requested. However, elite upgrade policies will vary by airline until we combine reservation systems later in 2015 (17 October 2015).

Learn more about elite upgrades

To make sure you’re eligible for elite upgrades, you should book flights that are marketed and operated by the same airline – either US Airways or American. If you’re booked on a codeshare flight, you’ll only be able to upgrade when you check in, and as always, upgrades are based on availability.

To summarize:
  • Purchase on AA.com or anywhere else + AA flight number + AA operated = OK
  • Purchase on AA.com or anywhere else + AA flight number + US operated = Upgrade/waitlist at OLCI
  • Purchase on AA.com or anywhere else + US flight number + US operated = OK
  • Purchase on US.com or anywhere else + US flight number + US operated = OK
  • Purchase on US.com or anywhere else + US flight number + AA operated = Upgrade/waitlist at OLCI
  • Purchase on US.com + AA flight number + AA operated = Impossible, no AA-marketed flights sold on US.com

How to book flights marketed and operated by the same airline

See the Major Merger Updated >13 March thread for upgrades updates: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...dates-etc.html (full cross-airline upgrade compatibility will occur "later this year" when the SHARES PSS has been merged into Sabre. [/hl]Until then AA and US recommend not booking each other's codeshares with intent to upgrade.[/hl]

This is the merged, master thread about securing upgrades in the "merged AA but still operating as separate airlines" when flying with mixed ticketing, the "other" airline than the one with the flyer's frequent flyer program or status, etc. As it is a merged thread, there may be some thread discontinuity; we apologise for any difficulties.

The information below reflects the wiki in AA / US Reciprocal Elite Benefits [Master Thread]

Thanks to FT member ashill for valuable contributions to this wiki.

Print Wikipost

AA and US cross program and merged FFP upgrade questions (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2014, 5:57 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
You are confused.

If you are flying US Airways, it doesn't matter what the upgrade scheme is on AA, because the programs are not merged. It is whatever US Airways' upgrade policy is (I do not know what it is).

On AA, you can get up to 15 systemwide upgrade. They can be used on any or all fares on American Airlines flights only (never on US Airways flights).

In 2013, you could get 1 at 75,000 miles, an additional 8 at 100,000 miles, two more at 125,000 miles, and four more at 150,000 miles.

Only the 100,000 miles award is automatic. The rest you can choose as an option among elite awards, which admittedly change every year.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA, A3, TK, Marriott, IHG, Hertz
Originally Posted by MAH4546
You are confused.

If you are flying US Airways, it doesn't matter what the upgrade scheme is on AA, because the programs are not merged. It is whatever US Airways' upgrade policy is (I do not know what it is).

On AA, you can get up to 15 systemwide upgrade. They can be used on any or all fares on American Airlines flights only (never on US Airways flights).

In 2013, you could get 1 at 75,000 miles, an additional 8 at 100,000 miles, two more at 125,000 miles, and four more at 150,000 miles.

Only the 100,000 miles award is automatic. The rest you can choose as an option among elite awards, which admittedly change every year.
Oh wow 15!? amazing all for international flights anywhere AA fly?
Oh Please correct me if I'm wrong I understood that by the end of March US airways is going to be a part of AA? or have I misunderstood and they just switch from star alliance to one world?
Old Mar 4, 2014, 6:15 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
US switches from *A to oneworld 31 March 2014. Other pieces of the merger (FFP) will take a while - perhaps 2015? And full fleet and personnel integration, maybe 2016? This is an incremental thing with its size and complexity.

AA Executive Platinums do not get 15 SWUs, we get EIGHT per year we qualify / re-qualify; they are usable the status year (1 Mar - 28 Feb) we earn them in and the following one - SWUs I earned last year are usable through 28 Feb 2015. They are usable with available seat inventory on up to three segments (could be PHX-DFW-LHR, could be LHR-JFK--LAX-NRT) in one general direction. Non EP elites earn 4 500 mile "stickers" per 10,000 miles flown, and they can be used on a one per 500 miles basis for Norrth, Central, near South Americas and Caribbean basis. Other upgrades are available on a miles plus copay basis, always depending on inventory availability, and basically if requested based on status and then time of request.

BUT do see later posts for explanations how this year one could earn up to a total of 17 SWUs acheiving milestones and earning Concierge Key.
There are a lot more answers in each airline's "Pre-Merger" Forum; AA has a FAQ and Wiki, a few Help Desk threads, and US has some tools and helpful members.

Originally Posted by cacohenassaf
Oh wow 15!? amazing all for international flights anywhere AA fly?
Oh Please correct me if I'm wrong I understood that by the end of March US airways is going to be a part of AA? or have I misunderstood and they just switch from star alliance to one world?

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 5, 2014 at 8:12 am Reason: add quote block
Old Mar 4, 2014, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
US switches from *A to oneworld 31 March 2014. Other pieces of the merger (FFP) will take a while - perhaps 2015? And full fleet and personnel integration, maybe 2016? This is an incremental thing with its size and complexity.

AA Executive Platinums do not get 15 SWUs, we get EIGHT per year we qualify / re-qualify; they are usable the status year (1 Mar - 28 Feb) we earn them in and the following one - SWUs I earned last year are usable through 28 Feb 2015. They are usable with available seat inventory on up to three segments (could be PHX-DFW-LHR, could be LHR-JFK--LAX-NRT) in one general direction. Non EP elites earn 4 500 mile "stickers" per 10,000 miles flown, and they can be used on a one per 500 miles basis for Norrth, Central, near South Americas and Caribbean basis. Other upgrades are available on a miles plus copay basis, always depending on inventory availability, and basically if requested based on status and then time of request.

There are a lot more answers in each airline's "Pre-Merger" Forum; AA has a FAQ and Wiki, a few Help Desk threads, and US has some tools and helpful members.
Gotcha, we are looking into a very long process. I thought that by 4/1 US airways are AA. the upgrades on AA are better than UA. Are they valid for all fares?
unfortunately AA doesn't fly directly from my home airport so I will not be able to fully use the upgrades. the 500 miles for south america is a great deal too.

Knowing AA has a better awards redemption then other airliners it does sound like a good deal. bummer :/
Old Mar 4, 2014, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by cacohenassaf
Gotcha, we are looking into a very long process. I thought that by 4/1 US airways are AA. the upgrades on AA are better than UA. Are they valid for all fares?
unfortunately AA doesn't fly directly from my home airport so I will not be able to fully use the upgrades. the 500 miles for south america is a great deal too.

Knowing AA has a better awards redemption then other airliners it does sound like a good deal. bummer :/
Indeed, upgrades are currently available for all published fares, though as I recall some government and military fares may be exempt. The 500 mile upgrades are good for near South America - not Argentina, Brasil or Chile, but good for Ecuador or Venezuela iirc, for example.

The full scoop on AA upgrades: The Who, What, When, And How Of Upgrading.

Now what will happen when the merger is fully implemented - that's guesswork.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 7:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
I think JDiver pointed out something that not a lot of people will understand come 3/31, or rather will have issues with for one of many reasons. While US and AA will both be in OW, they will not be the same airline, miles won't be combined, upgrades won't be combined, airlines won't be combined, etc.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 1:05 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
AA Executive Platinums do not get 15 SWUs, we get EIGHT per year we qualify / re-qualify
Just wanted to point out that MAH4546's point was that one can earn up to 15 per year based on last year's elite rewards programme (emphasis added by me):

Originally Posted by MAH4546

Old Mar 5, 2014, 1:50 am

Thanks! I do hope they continue ELTA- type rewards, but that's an AA program originally and I would not bet US keeping it intact as the airlines merge and integrate. Last year, one could earn up to 15 SWUs; sorry I didn't get that right.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 2:05 am

Thanks! I do hope they continue ELTA- type rewards, but that's an AA program originally and I would not bet US keeping it intact as the airlines merge and integrate. Last year, one could earn up to 15 SWUs; sorry I didn't get that right.
I understood that on each milestone you could have chosen something including SWU, as I mentioned that this is the main thing I'm interested in it's most likely what I would have chosen.
Most of my flights are NYC TLV. DL and UA have direct flights and US has via Philadelphia. AA don't offer any flight to TLV meaning I would need to fly with BA or Iberia. stop overs at London and Spain sounds nice but when you fly every other week it's not convenient. I'm sure if my route would change AA would be my choice.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 7:22 am
wjj

Programs: Former long time AA EXP and CK - 4 MM; Now LTPL; Hilton Diamond; UA Platinum
If one is CK, you get another 2 SWUs automatically, so a CK could get up to 17 if they earned enough miles, points, or segments and chose SWUs as the reward at each reward level. I use mine solely for international travel upgrading business to first and in my opinion, it is hands down the best perk of the Advantage program. And what keeps me at AA despite being ORD based and with UA trying to poach me.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: None
Since you mentioned US, I'll fill that in.

US Business class has a very good hard product on the A330 - state of the art full lie-flat pod-type seats, AVOD, etc. Probably on a par with any of the domestic carriers. The 767 is a step down - lie-flat on a slant seats. Otherwise about on a par with most domestic carriers. The 757 is the worst - the old Business seats from the A330's (70 degree or so recline but not lie-flat), AVOD using portable units. Of course, the 757 is a narrow-body so not as much of a spacious feel.

Only top-tier elites (Chairman's) get any free upgrades - 2 per year for elite and companion). Otherwise you either upgrade with miles/dollars or dollars with what is called GoEnvoy if any seats are available at checkin.

Jim
Old Mar 5, 2014, 12:41 pm

US Status Upgrades on AA Codeshare Flights?

I'm a US Air Platinum member, looking at a US Air flight "operated by American." Will I get upgraded? Thanks!!
Old Mar 5, 2014, 12:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
No.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html
Old Mar 5, 2014, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
Since you mentioned US, I'll fill that in.

US Business class has a very good hard product on the A330 - state of the art full lie-flat pod-type seats, AVOD, etc. Probably on a par with any of the domestic carriers. The 767 is a step down - lie-flat on a slant seats. Otherwise about on a par with most domestic carriers. The 757 is the worst - the old Business seats from the A330's (70 degree or so recline but not lie-flat), AVOD using portable units. Of course, the 757 is a narrow-body so not as much of a spacious feel.

Only top-tier elites (Chairman's) get any free upgrades - 2 per year for elite and companion). Otherwise you either upgrade with miles/dollars or dollars with what is called GoEnvoy if any seats are available at checkin.

Jim
While the 757 old Envoy is a tired product for sure, it can be very welcome on a transcon (or even a short hop) nonetheless - especially after a long day or 2 of mileage running.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by wjj
If one is CK, you get another 2 SWUs automatically, so a CK could get up to 17 if they earned enough miles, points, or segments and chose SWUs as the reward at each reward level. I use mine solely for international travel upgrading business to first and in my opinion, it is hands down the best perk of the Advantage program. And what keeps me at AA despite being ORD based and with UA trying to poach me.
how big of a difference is it from business to first? DL and UA only offers businessfirst which i think they are more like a real good business.
I only travel internationally from work and it's about 60% so I don't spend the rest 40% traveling...

I really hope that when AA will take over US they will change the flight from philly TLV to NYC TLV or just add that lag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.