Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Lifetime Status / Million Miler program - discussion, speculation (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2015, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Future of AA / US Lifetime Status / Million Miler program (consolidated)

Until the new (and current) Million Miler program was launched December 2011, any miles from all sources (all redeemable miles) counted as Million Miler miles. Lifetime status granted was the same as today: Gold at 1,000,000 miles ever earned, and Platinum at 2,000,000 lifetime miles ever earned; no lifetime top tier (EP / EXP) status was, or is, offered. Further million miles thresholds earn 4 SWUs.

The current Million Miler program "grandfathered" existing MM counts because until now there existed no way to differentiate miles for MM count. With the announcement of the new program, AA announced only Base / Elite-Qualifying Miles would count and be added to one's Million Mile counter.

AAdvantage® Million MilerSM program recognizes and rewards AAdvantage members when Million Miler thresholds are achieved. Base miles earned by flying on American Airlines, American Eagle® or any eligible AAdvantage program participating airline will count toward Million Miler status.

AAdvantage members will enjoy the following benefits when Million Miler status is reached:

At one million (1,000,000) Million Miler miles, AAdvantage members will receive lifetime AAdvantage Gold status and 35,000 AAdvantage bonus miles*

At two million (2,000,000) Million Miler miles, AAdvantage members will receive lifetime AAdvantage Platinum status and four one-way systemwide upgrades

At each additional Million Miler mark, AAdvantage members will receive four additional one-way systemwide upgrades

For all members, your beginning Million Miler balance will include every AAdvantage mile you ever earned in the program. This Program to Date balance is currently reflected in your AAdvantage account on aa.com. Million Miler activity will be displayed in your AAdvantage account on aa.com separately from award miles so progress toward reaching this special designation can be easily tracked.

It's a special honor to be recognized with Million Miler status - and it is our distinct pleasure to reward such loyalty.

US has had a lifetime status / million mile program, and it counts PQM.

The greatest likelihood is current million miler counts will be merged, and that there is no way to "beat the system" by trying to inflate Redeemable miles counts in AA or US accounts; they both differentiate the kinds of miles, and no indication the Million Miler program will include lifetime Redeemable miles counts when USDM accounts are brought over and merged into AAdvantage (nor has anyone who has already caused an account merger stated to the contrary).

In the second quarter of 2015, we’ll combine your million mile balances (if you have both a Dividend Miles and AAdvantage® account) or transfer your million mile balance to the AAdvantage program.

AAdvantage Million Miler program:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/millionMiler.jsp

Delta's comparable program (no lifetime top tier status):http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...er-status.html

United's comparable program (lifetime top tier status granted):
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont.../lifetime.aspx
Print Wikipost

AA Lifetime Status / Million Miler program - discussion, speculation (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2014, 12:13 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG,AA EXP, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Jacobin777
Many of us spend our own money to do mileage runs, choose AA to fly on (even if it means paying more, extra connections), etc.

I don't like promises and then have the other end of the promise taken away after I've fulfilled my obligations.

We've seen what has happened with UA after they've done exactly that.
I spend my own money too to do Mileage runs, and I too pay more and extra for things on AA. But the simple fact is that we all understand in the fine print that AAdantage can change at anytime based on what AA finds appropriate. Things come and go and CHOOSE to spend our money on this, this not a requirement. Dont get me wrong I would like to see these benefits continue for my entire lifetime. But I understand that they may not.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP,LFP~3 MM; MarriottRewards, LFP; Avis 1st; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Fanjet
And where is the million miler contract that both you and UA signed?
FWIIW, there is a legal doctrine called "inducement." What that means is that the inducements (as published) at the time of the person acting to their "detriment" (a legal term meaning taking an action based on the inducement) constitutes an offer. The execution of the detrimental behavior is "acceptance." Offer+Acceptance=Contract.

Outside of some very defined circumstances (such as Real Estate) you do NOT need a writing to create a contract.

I know there is always "subject to change without notice" squirrel words but a substantive change would be pretty solid legal grounds for suit.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 3:37 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG,AA EXP, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by tomhuber2003
FWIIW, there is a legal doctrine called "inducement." What that means is that the inducements (as published) at the time of the person acting to their "detriment" (a legal term meaning taking an action based on the inducement) constitutes an offer. The execution of the detrimental behavior is "acceptance." Offer+Acceptance=Contract.

Outside of some very defined circumstances (such as Real Estate) you do NOT need a writing to create a contract.

I know there is always "subject to change without notice" squirrel words but a substantive change would be pretty solid legal grounds for suit.

Why do people have to sue? eventually if enough people do then all these wonderful programs will go away! Cant people just accept that things are subject to change like the policy states and be happy when its good and suck it up when its bad???? Arent airlines exempt from most law suits anyways???

Life goes on and the miles are great, but man some people get out of hand with it and what they feel they should get in return.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by Jacobin777
Many of us spend our own money to do mileage runs, choose AA to fly on (even if it means paying more, extra connections), etc.

I don't like promises and then have the other end of the promise taken away after I've fulfilled my obligations.

We've seen what has happened with UA after they've done exactly that.
When you do mileage runs, are you doing them for the current benefits you will receive by doing them (ie attaining EXP status vs PLT status)? Or are you doing them specifically to build up you MM balance? And if it's the latter, what guarantees do you have that AA will exist 10 or 20 years from now?
Old Jan 5, 2014, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP,LFP~3 MM; MarriottRewards, LFP; Avis 1st; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by travelRN777
Why do people have to sue? eventually if enough people do then all these wonderful programs will go away! Cant people just accept that things are subject to change like the policy states and be happy when its good and suck it up when its bad????
Invest 10+ years of your life and mileage the equivalent to 5 round trips to the moon, eschewing faster and more direct routes and then ask that question.
[/quote]

Arent airlines exempt from most law suits anyways???
In the USA not since 1978 or so.

Life goes on and the miles are great, but man some people get out of hand with it and what they feel they should get in return.
I should get what I contracted for.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Invest 10+ years of your life and mileage the equivalent to 5 round trips to the moon, eschewing faster and more direct routes and then ask that question....

I should get what I contracted for.
How long has that "contract" stated that American reserves the right to change the AAdvantage program at any time? Has it been more than ten years? If they want to, they can close anyone's account and confiscate their miles. That is within the terms of the agreement of being an AAdvantage member. I love how nobody whines when a FF program makes a change that benifits them. But when it benefits the airline, well, that's entirely different. Maybe we should go back to the AAdvantage program before any changes were made to it. When there wasn't a million miler program. When there wasn't an EXP level. Or even a PLT one. When there weren't SWUs. In fact, when you wanted to sit in first, you had to use miles to do so.

The only contract that exists is the "contract of carriage". Whcih means that when you buy an airline ticket, the airline is obligated to fly you to your destination. And if they can't, they must find an alternative, or refund you your money. Are they not doing that? Anything else that the airline provides with that ticket purchase is a perk.

Last edited by Fanjet; Jan 5, 2014 at 4:55 pm
Old Jan 5, 2014, 5:10 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
And if it's the latter, what guarantees do you have that AA will exist 10 or 20 years from now?
None of the U.S. carriers as we know them may exist in 20 years. The law could change to allow them to be taken over by foreign carriers, or they may continue merging. Might even see another bankruptcy down the line that has pieces of some airlines being sold off. Could also see some new entrants.

As long as any of the existing U.S. carriers are flying, though, they should honor the promises made to those who attained lifetime status. UA offered a very specific package of benefits and they were publicized on their website and via e-mail. AA, on the other hand, only recently added material to their website on the million miler program, and that coincided with press releases announcing the current program counting only BIS miles (which is how UA's program always worked). Unless you saw the occasional discussion of the AA MM program on FT, you might not have known it even existed and that credit card spend, among other methods, could be used to get there. You would not have found material about it on the AA website until they made the public announcement and changed the qualification rules. It was kept pretty quiet compared to the UA program. I found out about AA's million miler program here on FT when I made the jump to AA as my primary carrier in 2002, just before the UA bankruptcy.

The viability of either UA or AA did not really factor into my decision to reach million miler status. They just happened to be the carriers I flew and I was aware of those programs. On UA it took me 18 years (did take a break in there when they went bankrupt), and on AA I had 1MM at 3 years, 2MM at 6 years, and 3MM at 9 years.

UA's decision to eliminate 1MM benefits caused me to stop flying with them entirely. I'm still burning UA miles (will be on Lufthansa later this month). Bring back my MM benefits and I'd buy tickets with them today. My original plan was to fly 100K on AA and 50K on UA each year. Now it all goes to AA. Makes no sense to fly the 50K on UA and get 50% bonus miles when I can get 100% at AA.

Do you have million miler status with AA or UA? In my reading of the UA thread the last two years, it seems that the point of view differs depending on whether one is a pre-merger million miler or not. Do you have million miler status with AA or UA? Anything at risk if the million miler program changes?
Old Jan 5, 2014, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tom911
Do you have million miler status with AA or UA? In my reading of the UA thread the last two years, it seems that the point of view differs depending on whether one is a pre-merger million miler or not. Do you have million miler status with AA or UA? Anything at risk if the million miler program changes?
I am just over 800K with UA. I was going to focus most of my flying this past year with them to cross that threashold sooner than expected. But their product has become so miserable that I put that on hold. However, being given the same benefits as a flier who flies 50K miles each year to achieve the same status is fine by me. As for AA, I'm just under the 1MM mark. But my current flying puts me at a higher status level than just by having that accolade alone. However, once the US totals are brought in, I will just be under the 2MM mark. (Even if they just count the US-only BIS miles.) And also, I am about 2/3 the way to MM status with DL. However, "complimentary annual silver elite status" is not something I'm striving for in the short-term.

For me having MM status is a nice fallback option. Not a retirement plan. In fact, since FF miles constantly get devaluated, it is a terrible retirement plan.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 5:35 pm

The only contract that exists is the "contract of carriage". Whcih means that when you buy an airline ticket, the airline is obligated to fly you to your destination. And if they can't, they must find an alternative, or refund you your money. Are they not doing that? Anything else that the airline provides with that ticket purchase is a perk.
If you registered for an AA promo today, such as a DEQM promo, which would of course not be mentioned in the conditions of carriage, and AA did not provide you the benefits, would that be OK? How about a "challenge" that provided an accelerated route to EXP? Won't see that in the conditions of carriage, either. Would AA hear from you if they didn't give you the status? Would you expect the promised benefits? You won't even see elite status mentioned in the conditions of carriage.

If AA markets the promotion, posts it on its website, sometimes provides a link to register, and sends it out in e-mail advertising, does that make them exempt from providing the promised benefits at some future date? I don't see million miler status any differently. It's a marketing program with specific benefits and it takes years, and for some over a decade, to reach the goal post. If those benefits are not delivered, why should we just walk away and say "Oh, well, lost that one"?
Old Jan 5, 2014, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you registered for an AA promo today, such as a DEQM promo, which would of course not be mentioned in the conditions of carriage, and AA did not provide you the benefits, would that be OK? How about a "challenge" that provided an accelerated route to EXP? Won't see that in the conditions of carriage, either. Would AA hear from you if they didn't give you the status? Would you expect the promised benefits? You won't even see elite status mentioned in the conditions of carriage.

If AA markets the promotion, posts it on its website, sometimes provides a link to register, and sends it out in e-mail advertising, does that make them exempt from providing the promised benefits at some future date? I don't see million miler status any differently. It's a marketing program with specific benefits and it takes years, and for some over a decade, to reach the goal post. If those benefits are not delivered, why should we just walk away and say "Oh, well, lost that one"?
You're comparing apples and oranges. If AA ran a DEQM promo but did not deliver on the promise, that is not the same thing as changing a FF program (which they've published many times that they can do). A better analogy would be if AA ran a DEQM promo, but then later changed the benefits of the elite levels. Then someone claims that they flew those flights, and eraned those DEQMs to get that elite status, and therefore those status benefits should not change for that elite level.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 5:47 pm

For me having MM status is a nice fallback option. Not a retirement plan. In fact, since FF miles constantly get devaluated, it is a terrible retirement plan.
I'm not giving up my EXP status anytime soon, so falling back on PLAT lifetime status is probably years out (and I stopped stacking serious miles the day UA went into bankruptcy and I had over 700K with them). I'm happy that AA has the 100% bonus miles in play when that point comes, and clearly disappointed that UA will only recognize my years of travel with 50%. Pretty clear where future travel will be in years to come. If AA were to get rid of the 100% bonus, though, not sure what I would do there as there wouldn't be anywhere to get the 100% bonus miles from at midtier, factoring in lifetime or not.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 5:54 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Myron Wolens et al. would disagree.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not giving up my EXP status anytime soon, so falling back on PLAT lifetime status is probably years out (and I stopped stacking serious miles the day UA went into bankruptcy and I had over 700K with them). I'm happy that AA has the 100% bonus miles in play when that point comes, and clearly disappointed that UA will only recognize my years of travel with 50%. Pretty clear where future travel will be in years to come. If AA were to get rid of the 100% bonus, though, not sure what I would do there as there wouldn't be anywhere to get the 100% bonus miles from at midtier, factoring in lifetime or not.
You perfectly summed up how uncertain FF programs are. We don't know what the award levels will be in 5-10 years. Or what the elite level benefits will be like. Or if the airline will even exist. Which is why I focus on the here and now. I would love to fly UA more right now. It would actually be more convenient for me. But as I said, their current product is miserable on so many levels. And if they can't turn things around, it's not gaoing to be an airline that I want to use in the longterm, no matter what MM status I have with them, or the benefits they are affording to them.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 10:41 pm

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Originally Posted by travelRN777
I spend my own money too to do Mileage runs, and I too pay more and extra for things on AA. But the simple fact is that we all understand in the fine print that AAdantage can change at anytime based on what AA finds appropriate.
Again, what I'm saying is UA hasn't done a good job with its changes to its FF program thus why we read many people who have either left UA or are very dissatisfied with UA.

I was actually keeping my miles for quite some time (>1 million), now I spend them freely on my family.

For me really, its about exit row seating, international lounge access on other OneWorld carriers (I have my own AC membership), priority boarding, multiple luggage. Don't get me wrong, I love the 100% bonus but I doubt I would switch carriers if AA went down to 50% bonus for PLT flyers.

When you do mileage runs, are you doing them for the current benefits you will receive by doing them (ie attaining EXP status vs PLT status)? Or are you doing them specifically to build up you MM balance? And if it's the latter, what guarantees do you have that AA will exist 10 or 20 years from now?
Really its for both. My goal is to get LT PLT and of course there is no guarantee of the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Right now I don't have too much of a problem achieving PLT/EXP on a yearly basis and as I mentioned above, getting the 100% bonus is great.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 6:20 am

Programs: AA EXP
As the choice for retirement is to either have MM lifetime status or not have it, what do you suggest a retirement plan should look like?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.