Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Lifetime Status / Million Miler program - discussion, speculation (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2015, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Future of AA / US Lifetime Status / Million Miler program (consolidated)

Until the new (and current) Million Miler program was launched December 2011, any miles from all sources (all redeemable miles) counted as Million Miler miles. Lifetime status granted was the same as today: Gold at 1,000,000 miles ever earned, and Platinum at 2,000,000 lifetime miles ever earned; no lifetime top tier (EP / EXP) status was, or is, offered. Further million miles thresholds earn 4 SWUs.

The current Million Miler program "grandfathered" existing MM counts because until now there existed no way to differentiate miles for MM count. With the announcement of the new program, AA announced only Base / Elite-Qualifying Miles would count and be added to one's Million Mile counter.

AAdvantage® Million MilerSM program recognizes and rewards AAdvantage members when Million Miler thresholds are achieved. Base miles earned by flying on American Airlines, American Eagle® or any eligible AAdvantage program participating airline will count toward Million Miler status.

AAdvantage members will enjoy the following benefits when Million Miler status is reached:

At one million (1,000,000) Million Miler miles, AAdvantage members will receive lifetime AAdvantage Gold status and 35,000 AAdvantage bonus miles*

At two million (2,000,000) Million Miler miles, AAdvantage members will receive lifetime AAdvantage Platinum status and four one-way systemwide upgrades

At each additional Million Miler mark, AAdvantage members will receive four additional one-way systemwide upgrades

For all members, your beginning Million Miler balance will include every AAdvantage mile you ever earned in the program. This Program to Date balance is currently reflected in your AAdvantage account on aa.com. Million Miler activity will be displayed in your AAdvantage account on aa.com separately from award miles so progress toward reaching this special designation can be easily tracked.

It's a special honor to be recognized with Million Miler status - and it is our distinct pleasure to reward such loyalty.

US has had a lifetime status / million mile program, and it counts PQM.

The greatest likelihood is current million miler counts will be merged, and that there is no way to "beat the system" by trying to inflate Redeemable miles counts in AA or US accounts; they both differentiate the kinds of miles, and no indication the Million Miler program will include lifetime Redeemable miles counts when USDM accounts are brought over and merged into AAdvantage (nor has anyone who has already caused an account merger stated to the contrary).

In the second quarter of 2015, we’ll combine your million mile balances (if you have both a Dividend Miles and AAdvantage® account) or transfer your million mile balance to the AAdvantage program.

AAdvantage Million Miler program:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/millionMiler.jsp

Delta's comparable program (no lifetime top tier status):http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...er-status.html

United's comparable program (lifetime top tier status granted):
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont.../lifetime.aspx
Print Wikipost

AA Lifetime Status / Million Miler program - discussion, speculation (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2013, 2:46 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
For the question upthread about long dormant accounts, I doubt any airline keeps information like miles flown forever so expecting miles that were in a FF account back in the 1990s to still be available is expecting too much. Chalk it up as the cost of letting FF accounts go dormant for a long time - all miles become unretriviable.
I believe dormant US accounts are deleted permanently after 36 months of inactivity.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 3:30 pm

Programs: None
I wouldn't be at all surprised. While airlines are required to keep all kinds of data for various periods of time, aircraft and employee records are about the only thing retained long-term (the life of the plane or career of the employee).

Jim
Old Dec 25, 2013, 6:57 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm personally hoping to get a boost from my US miles too. I'm at about 945,000 on AA lifetime and I'm not sure how many US miles I have but I would guess upwards of 30,000. Let's hope AA is generous!
Old Dec 27, 2013, 6:41 am

Programs: US CP
While several have mentioned being told that lifetime miles earned in now dormant US accounts are gone forever, I can now confirm the same for dormant AA accounts.

I called yesterday to discuss my AA account (not used for about 10 years) and was told that it was "archived" and that my lifetime balance would begin again at zero. I don't think I lost that much, maybe 50k, but still hurts a bit.

I will start rebuilding next month with some long flights on Qatar Airlines, crediting to this new AA account rather than US - where they would not contribute EQM. Hopefully the the two accounts will combine EQM later in the year.

Too bad that I guessed wrong about the merger and booked UA to Brazil in May. What will I do without *Gold perks?
Old Dec 27, 2013, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Million Miles status (with combined US/AA miles)

I am thankful that I paid tribute $ to US to resurrect miles when they expired last year. The lifetime balance was significantly larger than the RDM total, and that will help with the next MM threshold on AA.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by kgdg
Guys,
I have a quick question.
I am currently at 1,930,000 LT miles, so I have about 70000 miles to go to achieve LT PLT status on AA.
I am nothing on US, just have about 30k miles (most are BIS earned in 2010-2011).

-Do you all think I should aggresively obtain the remaining 70k miles on AA to lock in the LT PLT status (assuming/hoping they at least retain LT statuses post merger of FF accounts)?
-What is the general consensus on US miles balance being added into AA miles balance? I assume all miles earned prior to 2014 will just be credited as miles (not count toward EQM for 2014)?

Thanks
KG

With the above in mind:
1)What is the gut feel/strong opinion of FT'ers on whether the MM program with the LT status benefits will survive?
2)If not, when do you all think they will do away with this benefit?

I am just hoping that AA at least gives me until 2/28/15 to earn my LT PLT status, of course assuming LT PLT and MM program stays..
Old Dec 31, 2013, 1:25 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
My account just rolled over to 1,002,362 program miles, oh how I wish they never changed things

At least I'm only 50,000 or so new miles from 1MM.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:43 pm

Programs: Marriott, Southwest, American, Delta, Amtrak,Multiple others
Piedmont Miles for US

I finally learned how many lifetime miles I have on US and it is obvious that it doesn't include at least 70k miles I had flown on Piedmont. I can't recall what happened to my Piedmont account after the acquisition, but am curious whether any other FT'ers know whether their lifetime Piedmont miles transferred to US.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 7:22 pm

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by ty97
It is a bit more complicated than that. There is currently parity in the AA and US systems for counting MM. Both use BIS miles only.

You are absolutely correct though that for years AA's MM counter included elite bonus miles, credit card miles, promotion bonus miles, AAdvantage shopping miles, etc, etc, everything. That changed in summer 2011 when AA moved to the BIS miles only.

So at this point, we have 2.5 years of 'BIS only' parity (and by the time merging occurs perhaps 3.5 years of parity). It could get quite complicated indeed to calculate an uplift amount only for US miles prior to summer 2011 while not uplifting US miles earned summer 2011 and later.

(If all US miles are uplifted, than AA miles from summer 2011 onward would have to uplifted as well to maintain parity)
Merging these two programs will be interesting compared to the United/Continental transaction. While I dont keep records allowing a detailed check, it looked like when the uplift on the United miles was performed (bonus miles, class, etc) to attain parity with the Continental handouts, the calculation was reasonably done (about 400K BIS became about 720KBIS). This one seems more convoluted with the BIS conversion and the extremely generous AA MM policy.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
One thing for sure, the New AA won't be following AC's example. When it introduced its MillionMiler/Lifetime status it only included BIS miles flown on AC metal. And this only from 1989, omitting the first 4-1/2 years of the program on the grounds that it didn't have elite tiers until that year. Not only that, but AC merged with CP in 2000, but refused to consider a single mile flown on that carrier in its MM program! So not only did I not get credit for 250K+ of BIS AC miles flown before 1989, I also received nothing for the 750K+ BIS CP miles flown up until the merger.

So consider yourselves lucky to have had such reasonable and generous MM outcomes from previous mergers and what's likely from this one.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 10:40 pm

Programs: The usual for over 7 Million paid miles flown to date... My first paid flight was on a DC3.
Future of AA / US Lifetime Status / Million Miler program (consolidated)

As an AA multi-Million Miler member for a number of years, I've had AAdvantage permanent Platinum membership as a well-deserved benefit from years of AIS travel on AA as well as Reno Air, TWA and AA Codeshares, in addition to many miles on other non-affiliated airlines.

With the AA turmoil of the past couple years and the US merger, I've been eager to see what my 2014 Platinum card would look like and how AA would word their annual loyalty statement accompanying my new card.

I received my 2014 card in today's mail and was pleased to read... "As a multi-Million Miler member, you'll enjoy AAdvantage Platinum membership for the lifetime of the AAdvantage Platinum program." I get the vibe that the program looks good to continue in the future. The card is attractive, with new AA logo and my "5 Million Miles" indicated thereon. Also, this is the first year I can remember when I received the card in the first week of the new year. Hell, last year I think it arrived at the end of February!

Old Jan 3, 2014, 11:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by prspad
for the lifetime of the AAdvantage Platinum program.
That's the important part of the quote.

If that fills you with confidence, you're not reading it right
Old Jan 3, 2014, 11:23 pm

The only gotcha is the "for the lifetime of the AAdvantage Platinum program." Hopefully it won't be a factor but a simple change in the names of the tiers could make a big difference.

Jim
Old Jan 3, 2014, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Since AA and US each have a million miler program, and more importantly, so do DL and UA, why do people think that it will go away with this merger?
Old Jan 3, 2014, 11:57 pm

Personally I don't, but there's no denying the possibility no matter how small. Doesn't the US program only give lifetime Silver? If so, what's to prevent Parker from making that change? Doesn't UA have a 2 or 4 million mile lifetime status? Where is US equivalent? In other words, just because the competition offers some lifetime benefit doesn't mean the Parker will offer the same.

Jim

Last edited by BoeingBoy; Jan 4, 2014 at 12:04 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.