Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Lifetime Status / Million Miler program - discussion, speculation (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2015, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Future of AA / US Lifetime Status / Million Miler program (consolidated)

Until the new (and current) Million Miler program was launched December 2011, any miles from all sources (all redeemable miles) counted as Million Miler miles. Lifetime status granted was the same as today: Gold at 1,000,000 miles ever earned, and Platinum at 2,000,000 lifetime miles ever earned; no lifetime top tier (EP / EXP) status was, or is, offered. Further million miles thresholds earn 4 SWUs.

The current Million Miler program "grandfathered" existing MM counts because until now there existed no way to differentiate miles for MM count. With the announcement of the new program, AA announced only Base / Elite-Qualifying Miles would count and be added to one's Million Mile counter.

AAdvantage® Million MilerSM program recognizes and rewards AAdvantage members when Million Miler thresholds are achieved. Base miles earned by flying on American Airlines, American Eagle® or any eligible AAdvantage program participating airline will count toward Million Miler status.

AAdvantage members will enjoy the following benefits when Million Miler status is reached:

At one million (1,000,000) Million Miler miles, AAdvantage members will receive lifetime AAdvantage Gold status and 35,000 AAdvantage bonus miles*

At two million (2,000,000) Million Miler miles, AAdvantage members will receive lifetime AAdvantage Platinum status and four one-way systemwide upgrades

At each additional Million Miler mark, AAdvantage members will receive four additional one-way systemwide upgrades

For all members, your beginning Million Miler balance will include every AAdvantage mile you ever earned in the program. This Program to Date balance is currently reflected in your AAdvantage account on aa.com. Million Miler activity will be displayed in your AAdvantage account on aa.com separately from award miles so progress toward reaching this special designation can be easily tracked.

It's a special honor to be recognized with Million Miler status - and it is our distinct pleasure to reward such loyalty.

US has had a lifetime status / million mile program, and it counts PQM.

The greatest likelihood is current million miler counts will be merged, and that there is no way to "beat the system" by trying to inflate Redeemable miles counts in AA or US accounts; they both differentiate the kinds of miles, and no indication the Million Miler program will include lifetime Redeemable miles counts when USDM accounts are brought over and merged into AAdvantage (nor has anyone who has already caused an account merger stated to the contrary).

In the second quarter of 2015, we’ll combine your million mile balances (if you have both a Dividend Miles and AAdvantage® account) or transfer your million mile balance to the AAdvantage program.

AAdvantage Million Miler program:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/millionMiler.jsp

Delta's comparable program (no lifetime top tier status):http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...er-status.html

United's comparable program (lifetime top tier status granted):
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont.../lifetime.aspx
Print Wikipost

AA Lifetime Status / Million Miler program - discussion, speculation (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2014, 12:10 am

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
I think more the point of the wording here is the life time of the program..not YOUR lifetime. Airlines have already gotten sued on this difference. Lifetime will continue, what remains to be seen is what level you're grand fathered in under the revamped program.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 12:25 am

Programs: None
Better put than I did. Thanks.

Jim
Old Jan 4, 2014, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by grahampros
I think more the point of the wording here is the life time of the program..not YOUR lifetime. Airlines have already gotten sued on this difference. Lifetime will continue, what remains to be seen is what level you're grand fathered in under the revamped program.
If the elite levels change their names, they will most likely state something along the lines of... the AAdvantage Gold level will now be called AAdvantage Silver, and so forth. So every lifetime AAdvantage Gold will become a lifetime AAdvantage Silver, for example.

Last edited by Fanjet; Jan 4, 2014 at 12:39 am
Old Jan 4, 2014, 12:34 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Fanjet
Since AA and US each have a million miler program, and more importantly, so do DL and UA, why do people think that it will go away with this merger?
It's at risk because UA changed the terms of its million miler program after the merger, and those terms were not good for those of us that held 1MM status already. Over there lifetime Premier Executive, which had 100% bonus miles and 2 regional upgrades each year, plus an initial 3 systemwides on qualifying, became UA Gold and the 100% bonus miles became 50% bonus miles. The regional upgrades were eliminated. The lifetime status was no longer as valuable as it was before. None of the promised benefits there exist anymore.

From my letter from UA on reaching 1MM (actual BIS miles there) in 2010:

With your new Million Mile status comes some well-earned perks. You'll be receiving with our compliments:
Three (3) systemwide upgrades immediately
Two (2) confirmed regional upgrades at the end of every year
Lifetime Premier Executive® status in our Mileage Plus program
I don't have any of these benefits now. The changes at UA were the sole reason I stopped flying them 28 months ago now.

If AA were to come along and retitle AA Platinum to AA Plutonium, they could do exactly what UA did. Will they? The jury is out.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tom911
It's at risk because UA changed the terms of its million miler program after the merger, and those terms were not good for those of us that held 1MM status already.
Of course the Million Miler program is subject to alterations. Just as the elite levels and benefits are. But I seriously doubt that it is subject to be terminated.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 12:47 am

Of course the Million Miler program is subject to alterations. Just as the elite levels and benefits are.
Not everyone on the UA forum holds that point of view. One argument there has been that the million miler program is distinctly different from the Mileage Plus program and is not subject to alterations or to the rules of the Mileage Plus program, so they have to abide by the marketing material sent out over the years and the benefits offered there. There is litigation ongoing over promised lifetime benefits so it's not over yet. I did not agree to let them take my promised benefits away.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tom911
Not everyone on the UA forum holds that point of view. One argument there has been that the million miler program is distinctly different from the Mileage Plus program and is not subject to alterations or to the rules of the Mileage Plus program, so they have to abide by the marketing material sent out over the years and the benefits offered there. There is litigation ongoing over promised lifetime benefits so it's not over yet. I did not agree to let them take my promised benefits away.
And where is the million miler contract that both you and UA signed?

Yes. I'm aware of their claims. But that is total BS. Where do you think UA was tracking the information on how much people flew to qualify for million miler status? What program do the regional upgrades come from? What program do elite bonuses come from? What program did the Premier Executive program come from? There was nothing offered in the million miler program that wasn't being offered to fliers in the Mileage Plus program. The million miler program is very much connected to the Mileage Plus program. Which the airline has the right to change with very minimal notice.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 1:33 am

The million miler program is very much connected to the Mileage Plus program. Which the airline has the right to change with very minimal notice.
We'll see. The litigation is still active and was not dismissed by the first judge it went past. All the other issues you raised are best discussed on the UA forum thread.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 2:44 am

Programs: AA EXP
Of course the Million Miler program is subject to alterations. Just as the elite levels and benefits are. But I seriously doubt that it is subject to be terminated.
You're playing with semantics. It's not hard to imagine "alterations" being put through that make the program considerably worse than it is now...possibly to a level where they may as well have terminated it.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 5:51 am

Programs: US CP and 1MM; HILTON DIAMOND; MARRIOTT PLAT
For someone who just made the US 1MM mark, I am very curious to see how the merger plays out in this regard. US only counts BIS on US metal towards the 1MM, while AA until fairly recently has counted all miles earned in the AAdvantage.

So after the merger, I wonder if they will be going back and counting miles on an equal footing for both airlines? If that were to be the case, I probably would have 3MM if you count the 100% CP mileage bonus, credit card spend, and my approx. 0.5 MM on AA from the past... maybe just wishful thinking on my part?
Old Jan 4, 2014, 6:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
The point here is that no matter which school of thought you are coming from, it appears that the MM program can be changed with relative ease
Old Jan 4, 2014, 8:03 am
Original Member

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
We have to remember that AA did give all miles but you really need 2MM to get 100% bonus and club access on international flight (Platinum). To me those are the nicest features.

With UA you need 1MM BIS miles for club access on international flights. When UA and CO merged many UA members were given some pretty good bumps in lifetime miles.

I was EXP in their first year 1998 (points only back then) and left for NW in 2002 after a big issue with AA that made me think my future with them. I was EXP from 1998 to Feb 2003. I do have 3MM miles with them and would be pretty confident that I have well over 1MM BIS miles.

DL has worst program. There you need 1MM BIS miles for just silver. You don't even get there extra legroom seats until 24 hours with silver. You can be platinum with Starwood and get almost same benefits or their Amex card. I have 950K BIS miles there and gave up, after their meger everyday it seemed they were changing something for the worst, their awards are so ridiculous that I left them.

Last edited by thepla; Jan 4, 2014 at 8:24 am
Old Jan 4, 2014, 8:54 am

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Not necessarily and that is why the UA litigation is still active. If a company makes certain representations about its product or services, it can be sued if it fails to deliver. Of course, corporate lawyers will put in disclaimers saying that we can change anything, at anytime for any reason, but they doesn't inoculate them from liability. My company warns us all the time about making certain representations or agreements even verbal agreements. If you don't follow-through on it, you can get sued. The UA case has legs and I think United is likely to settle or lose. However, the plaintiffs lawyers need to get paid and they will take half or more of whatever gets doled out. United is stupid for not settling out of court or just throwing Premier Executives a couple mostly worthless RPUs.

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
The point here is that no matter which school of thought you are coming from, it appears that the MM program can be changed with relative ease
Old Jan 4, 2014, 9:46 am

Programs: AS 100K
And where is the million miler contract that both you and UA signed?

Yes. I'm aware of their claims. But that is total BS. Where do you think UA was tracking the information on how much people flew to qualify for million miler status? What program do the regional upgrades come from? What program do elite bonuses come from? What program did the Premier Executive program come from? There was nothing offered in the million miler program that wasn't being offered to fliers in the Mileage Plus program. The million miler program is very much connected to the Mileage Plus program. Which the airline has the right to change with very minimal notice.
Hahaha! You're funny. The judge would have struck down the claim that the MM and MP program are separate if that claim had no merit (or, as you put it, "is total BS"). He didn't and the case is well underway. As for the rest of what you're going on about, that is UA-specific and should be discussed in the UA forum.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 11:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I don't think this has been brought up, but before moving to DFW I was CP for many years, but obviously switched over to AA.

What will they do with pax that have significant lifetime miles on US and AA? Already 2MM on AA so that's not the issue unless they start tweaking the total miles required.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.