Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Lifetime Status / Million Miler program - discussion, speculation (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2015, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Future of AA / US Lifetime Status / Million Miler program (consolidated)

Until the new (and current) Million Miler program was launched December 2011, any miles from all sources (all redeemable miles) counted as Million Miler miles. Lifetime status granted was the same as today: Gold at 1,000,000 miles ever earned, and Platinum at 2,000,000 lifetime miles ever earned; no lifetime top tier (EP / EXP) status was, or is, offered. Further million miles thresholds earn 4 SWUs.

The current Million Miler program "grandfathered" existing MM counts because until now there existed no way to differentiate miles for MM count. With the announcement of the new program, AA announced only Base / Elite-Qualifying Miles would count and be added to one's Million Mile counter.

AAdvantage® Million MilerSM program recognizes and rewards AAdvantage members when Million Miler thresholds are achieved. Base miles earned by flying on American Airlines, American Eagle® or any eligible AAdvantage program participating airline will count toward Million Miler status.

AAdvantage members will enjoy the following benefits when Million Miler status is reached:

At one million (1,000,000) Million Miler miles, AAdvantage members will receive lifetime AAdvantage Gold status and 35,000 AAdvantage bonus miles*

At two million (2,000,000) Million Miler miles, AAdvantage members will receive lifetime AAdvantage Platinum status and four one-way systemwide upgrades

At each additional Million Miler mark, AAdvantage members will receive four additional one-way systemwide upgrades

For all members, your beginning Million Miler balance will include every AAdvantage mile you ever earned in the program. This Program to Date balance is currently reflected in your AAdvantage account on aa.com. Million Miler activity will be displayed in your AAdvantage account on aa.com separately from award miles so progress toward reaching this special designation can be easily tracked.

It's a special honor to be recognized with Million Miler status - and it is our distinct pleasure to reward such loyalty.

US has had a lifetime status / million mile program, and it counts PQM.

The greatest likelihood is current million miler counts will be merged, and that there is no way to "beat the system" by trying to inflate Redeemable miles counts in AA or US accounts; they both differentiate the kinds of miles, and no indication the Million Miler program will include lifetime Redeemable miles counts when USDM accounts are brought over and merged into AAdvantage (nor has anyone who has already caused an account merger stated to the contrary).

In the second quarter of 2015, we’ll combine your million mile balances (if you have both a Dividend Miles and AAdvantage® account) or transfer your million mile balance to the AAdvantage program.

AAdvantage Million Miler program:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/millionMiler.jsp

Delta's comparable program (no lifetime top tier status):http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...er-status.html

United's comparable program (lifetime top tier status granted):
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont.../lifetime.aspx
Print Wikipost

AA Lifetime Status / Million Miler program - discussion, speculation (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2013, 12:28 am

What Is The Best Way To Find Your US Lifetime Miles?

Many years ago I think I contacted US about lifetime miles. The reply may be on a hard drive in a computer in my storage unit.

Is it best to call or e-mail to obtain this info?
Old Dec 15, 2013, 1:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, X Elite+
@Rebob - I have the same issue, going all the way back. My lifetime and current mileage keep growing while i'm about 15k behind on Million Miler miles. My guess is that those who have passed the 1MM and 2MM mark don't always look at that notifier.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by mmaster737
Here's the information US provided in response to my "lifetime" miles inquiry:

US Airways lifetime flight miles are accumulated from the start date of your Dividend Miles account as long as your account remains active. Only credited flight miles on US Airways owned and operated flights (this includes previous flight miles on PSA, Piedmont, and America West) count toward Million Miler status. Bonus miles, preferred mileage bonus, class of service bonus miles and flights on partner airlines do not count.
Here's the email I received:

Dear fly747first,

We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced.

Currently, you are not able to view your lifetime miles online in your account profile. Your current lifetime miles total is ---,---.

US Airways lifetime flight miles are accumulated from the start date of your Dividend Miles account as long as your account remains active. Only credited flight miles on US Airways owned and operated flights (this includes previous flight miles on PSA, Piedmont, and America West) count toward Million Miler status. Bonus miles, preferred mileage bonus, class of service bonus miles and flights on partner airlines do not count.

Simply keep your Dividend Miles membership active by earning or redeeming miles with US Airways or our partners within a consecutive 3-year period.

Thank you for being a member of our Dividend Miles program. We look forward to assisting you with any future needs.

Sincerely,

US Airways Dividend Miles
Old Dec 15, 2013, 9:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by lhl12
I included the EXP and CK bonuses for this purpose. If you exclude the bonuses then it's probably closer to 2.25mm.
That pretty much illustrates the problem for AA's MM program. Here's someone with 5MM in his account that would have been less than half as much under the new rules. As a AA loyalist who expects to qualify for EXP each year for the foreseeable future, the current MM program is not terribly useful to me because it will take so long to earn lifetime Plat, the first level I'd really value in retirement. If they added EXP at 3MM or 4MM, I don't think I could ever get there myself, but there'd still be lots of lifetime EXPs, based on the old earning structure, competing for my current benefits.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA LT GLD 1MM
Originally Posted by NiceLanding
That pretty much illustrates the problem for AA's MM program. Here's someone with 5MM in his account that would have been less than half as much under the new rules. As a AA loyalist who expects to qualify for EXP each year for the foreseeable future, the current MM program is not terribly useful to me because it will take so long to earn lifetime Plat, the first level I'd really value in retirement. If they added EXP at 3MM or 4MM, I don't think I could ever get there myself, but there'd still be lots of lifetime EXPs, based on the old earning structure, competing for my current benefits.
I never understood the competition worry with lifetime benefits (especially with gold/plat - as exp will never happen). What difference does it make if there are a million lifetime golds out there. If they are flying and using their benefits, they would probably have qualified for gold anyway (it's not THAT hard), and if they're not flying or flying very infrequently then what does it matter.

I personally think allowing CC spend/ eshopping to count for MM benefits was a great idea on AA's part. First, they earn a good chunk of cash if someone racks up a million miles from CC spend, and they can devalue the miles at any time.

Next, brand loyalty. These MMers are going to choose AA/OW when they fly. So AA's basically getting $10k or $20k (gold/plat) AND a loyal customer for life who will choose AA over competitors even if they are priced a bit higher. All for waiving baggage charges and a very very unlikely (paid) upgrade here or there.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 4:14 pm

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
Originally Posted by AZbba
I never understood the competition worry with lifetime benefits (especially with gold/plat - as exp will never happen). .
UA offers lifetime 1K and Global Services level. Why do you think that EXP won't happen?
Old Dec 15, 2013, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA: EXP/5.2mm
Originally Posted by NiceLanding
As much as it pains me to admit it, I have to agree. AA doesn't want deadwood like me devaluing EXP status for those folks who are paying a lot to requalify every year.

Having said that, it does seem to me that even with an inflated balance like mine, the incremental benefit of each million miles over two was ungenerous. I rolled the odometer three times - at 3 million, 4 million and 5 million -- and each time all I got was four SWU's. Nice, to be sure, but not quite what I thought each incremental 1 million miles ought to be worth. Lifetime EXP at 3 million might be asking too much, but shouldn't five million miles - all earned by following the rules, with a LOT of revenue to AA -- be worth something more than just PLT for life plus some SWU's?
Old Dec 15, 2013, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
If AA isn't offering lifetime Emerald by the time I get to 5MM, then I'm going to switch to BAEC in order to start working toward LTG ^
Old Dec 16, 2013, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by lhl12
As much as it pains me to admit it, I have to agree. AA doesn't want deadwood like me devaluing EXP status for those folks who are paying a lot to requalify every year.

Having said that, it does seem to me that even with an inflated balance like mine, the incremental benefit of each million miles over two was ungenerous. I rolled the odometer three times - at 3 million, 4 million and 5 million -- and each time all I got was four SWU's. Nice, to be sure, but not quite what I thought each incremental 1 million miles ought to be worth. Lifetime EXP at 3 million might be asking too much, but shouldn't five million miles - all earned by following the rules, with a LOT of revenue to AA -- be worth something more than just PLT for life plus some SWU's?
If there's a 75k level as speculated, I wouldn't be surprised if that became attainable with lifetime miles.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 1:58 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by nall
If there's a 75k level as speculated, I wouldn't be surprised if that became attainable with lifetime miles.
Unless they change the milage requirements or how the miles are counted I suspect this MM level wouldn't be much use - assuming it would be at 3MM then you'd need 30 years at EXP to hit a LT status that probably wouldn't be that much better than what you get after 20yrs....where's the incentive?
Old Dec 18, 2013, 12:48 pm

Guys,
I have a quick question.
I am currently at 1,930,000 LT miles, so I have about 70000 miles to go to achieve LT PLT status on AA.
I am nothing on US, just have about 30k miles (most are BIS earned in 2010-2011).

-Do you all think I should aggresively obtain the remaining 70k miles on AA to lock in the LT PLT status (assuming/hoping they at least retain LT statuses post merger of FF accounts)?
-What is the general consensus on US miles balance being added into AA miles balance? I assume all miles earned prior to 2014 will just be credited as miles (not count toward EQM for 2014)?

Thanks
KG
Old Dec 18, 2013, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Originally Posted by kgdg
Guys,
I have a quick question.
I am currently at 1,930,000 LT miles, so I have about 70000 miles to go to achieve LT PLT status on AA.
I am nothing on US, just have about 30k miles (most are BIS earned in 2010-2011).

-Do you all think I should aggresively obtain the remaining 70k miles on AA to lock in the LT PLT status (assuming/hoping they at least retain LT statuses post merger of FF accounts)?
-What is the general consensus on US miles balance being added into AA miles balance? I assume all miles earned prior to 2014 will just be credited as miles (not count toward EQM for 2014)?

Thanks
KG
That's a lot of miles to rack up in the next 3 months, but if you're planning to fly anywhere near that much, I'd personally lock it in to be safe. I don't think there's any consensus, let alone indication, of what will happen with combined lifetime status miles.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
I'm hoping against hope that my US miles count towards LT status. I've not flown US for one single mile, but I have over 200k miles from purchases or bonus offers. I'd love it if those got me closer to AA LT status, but I'm figuring the odds of that are slim and none and slim just left the building. But, until the new US/AA announces the plans, I'm keeping a slight bit of hope!
Old Dec 19, 2013, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by ps9a
That's a lot of miles to rack up in the next 3 months, but if you're planning to fly anywhere near that much, I'd personally lock it in to be safe. I don't think there's any consensus, let alone indication, of what will happen with combined lifetime status miles.
Thanks for the reply.
I was under the impression that both the FF programs were going to operate independently until the end of '14, so I assumed that meant, i had until the end of 2014 to fly the 70k and achieve my LT PLT status.

If that date is March '14, then I am screwed I guess. I can only hope that they don't do away with the LT PLT milestone or change the requirements drastically.

KG
Old Dec 19, 2013, 1:35 pm

Programs: None
For the question upthread about long dormant accounts, I doubt any airline keeps information like miles flown forever so expecting miles that were in a FF account back in the 1990s to still be available is expecting too much. Chalk it up as the cost of letting FF accounts go dormant for a long time - all miles become unretriviable.

Jim

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.