Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IADCAflyer
Speculation: New Routes, Hubs, Flights (2017 Onward)
Because there is community interest in having a purely speculative discussion about whether other airports will pop up to become focus cities or hubs, new routes, etc. the following new thread has been amalgamated on this topic.

Note:

Going: 9 A330-300, ER190, some older 757-200 and 8 767-300ER (leaving 17), MD-80

Coming: Remainder of 16 Boeing 26 787-8, 22 Boeing 787-9 (began later 2016). A320 family - 100 A321neo, and B737-800 (100 737-MAX8) aircraft.

See Cranky Flier article on 2016 fleet changes, AA-HP-US. Link.

Also see: HELP DESK: General questions about aircraft equipment, fleet, seats, IFE, etc.

Speculation fun time: Will xxx be the next AA focus city / hub? (consolidated)

Obsolete posts from 2015 on have been moved to ARCHIVE: Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - 2015 on

All posts prior to 2015 have been moved here: ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)
Print Wikipost

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2018, 4:58 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by dkc192
This is my understanding as well. That said, AA could work around this by scheduling a ~10-11pm departure bank to closer European destinations (LIS, MAD, etc.) and having the corresponding planes turn around for an afternoon departure from Europe and early evening arrival back into PHL, after the present 2-4pm rush.
delta does this at JFK
Old Jul 17, 2018, 6:36 am

Programs: AA EXP
This is my understanding as well. That said, AA could work around this by scheduling a ~10-11pm departure bank to closer European destinations (LIS, MAD, etc.) and having the corresponding planes turn around for an afternoon departure from Europe and early evening arrival back into PHL, after the present 2-4pm rush.
One thing with destinations like MAD is that all of AA's flights leave close to each other. PHL, CLT, JFK, ORD, DFW, MIA. They all depart within a relatively compact window, meaning AA operations at MAD can be concentrated in the morning. Not to say it's impossible, but there would be operational considerations on the Europe end, as well (staff, gates, etc.)
Old Jul 17, 2018, 7:51 am

Programs: AA EXP / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lowfareair
AA has 3 hardstand gates West of A that they can use (H1-H3) although it is not a fun option. What they really should do if they want to add more TATL from PHL is 1) Make the remaining Terminal A gates FIS-accessible for narrowbodies from the Caribbean, ...[snip].
I believe they have added/are in the process of making A9 FIS capable. I believe that only leaves A3 and A7 as domestic-only arrival gates, though I'm not positive about A6. (A1 is the Terminal F shuttle, A5 is technically only a stair-gate; and is home to the Jack Duggan Pub expansion). I remember hearing about the A-West expansion, but have had a hard time finding articles about it. I believe this was 2007 timeframe, around the time the pmUS route authority to China was awarded.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DMPHL
One thing with destinations like MAD is that all of AA's flights leave close to each other. PHL, CLT, JFK, ORD, DFW, MIA. They all depart within a relatively compact window, meaning AA operations at MAD can be concentrated in the morning. Not to say it's impossible, but there would be operational considerations on the Europe end, as well (staff, gates, etc.)
Good point. Well, we could consider some of the smaller western European stations that only have service to PHL, e.g. LIS, MUC, GLA. Throw in VCE because the only other AA service is to ORD, which currently departs 3 hours after the PHL service. PRG and BUD might also be candidates, but their longer block times mean that a later outbound departure might result in too late an inbound return to make domestic connections back in PHL. SNN is flown by a 757 and arrives precleared on the return, so for all intents and purposes it is a regular domestic flight.

Departures: MUC currently leaves at (an awful time of) 4:30pm, while VCE and GLA go in the 7pm bank, with LIS in the 9pm bank. Move all of these back to 9:30pm or 10pm. You'd still have plenty of time to turn these planes around, with the tightest turn being VCE most probably. If VCE were to depart at 10pm (3 hours later than current), it would arrive just after noon, leaving adequate time to turn it around for departure around 2:30pm, when the ORD flight departs.

Arrivals: as previously discussed, the main benefit of rescheduling some of these TATLs is avoiding gate congestion during the 12-4pm arrival bank. Having these four later flights (three widebodies and a 757) arrive back in PHL around 6-7pm would go quite a ways in helping do so, while preserving most domestic connections that go out in the 8-9pm bank.

Now, this is a very crude operational analysis, obviously leaving out several factors--what if VCE doesn't have the gate space to handle two AA flights at once? What are other turn schedules in PHL like? But hopefully it illustrates that in a vacuum, such a rescheduling can be pulled off!
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by Flyer78
I believe they have added/are in the process of making A9 FIS capable. I believe that only leaves A3 and A7 as domestic-only arrival gates, though I'm not positive about A6. (A1 is the Terminal F shuttle, A5 is technically only a stair-gate; and is home to the Jack Duggan Pub expansion).
A6 is FIS-equipped, FI usually uses the gate. A5 no longer exists, stair-only or otherwise. Even if A3/7/9 are the only ones left, making them FIS-capable should free up some gates, especially for A320-family Caribbean arrivals and any 752 int'l flights, plus once the 321neo/LR start doing TATL flights (that is honestly only a matter of time at this point), it will provide additional gates for them.

I remember hearing about the A-West expansion, but have had a hard time finding articles about it. I believe this was 2007 timeframe, around the time the pmUS route authority to China was awarded.
I don't recall that, but it would make sense as US was doing a lot of TATL flying from PHL at that point - maybe even more than what is there now. With the new land acquisitions West of the airport, I could see moving the easternmost stretch of Cargo City and/or International Plaza to expand the international terminal, although I'm not sure how enthused AA would be about doing something on a not-shoestring budget (I honestly think they would prefer to save money by building a large people mover gate on the first floor of A-West for gates H1-H3 rather than expand the terminal).
Old Jul 19, 2018, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist

Here's some intel from some internal communications channel via JonNYC that more Eastern European destinations are under consideration. Assuming that these flights would go out of PHL, one must wonder how they're going to squeeze in any more widebodies in the afternoons and evenings (Eastern Europe is out of 757 range, unless their definition of Eastern Europe includes Scandinavia--and even so, it'd be quite the stretch westbound).
Old Jul 19, 2018, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
WAW or KRK, please!!!

The problem with Croatia is its geopgraphy. I think Split is a somewhat "safer" bet because it is more centrally located than Zagreb or Dubrovnik. Or perhaps take a gamble on RIX. Maybe try and bring Air Baltic into a code-share agreement. In fact, I don't think they even belong to a global alliance.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
And having lived in NAP for two years, oneWorld wasn’t practical. There was a poorly timed flight to BCN and three a day with BA to LGW, which would then require a bus transfer to LHR. Aside from AZ, LH had the most traffic with three a day to MUC and one to FRA. The first MUC flight was well timed for Atlantic connections.
LH is extremely big in Italy and very popular with premium passengers. It is the 5th largest airline in Italy behind 3 LCCs and Alitalia.

https://twitter.com/xJonNYC/status/1020092905451589635

https://twitter.com/xJonNYC/status/1020097075017641985

Here's some intel from some internal communications channel via JonNYC that more Eastern European destinations are under consideration. Assuming that these flights would go out of PHL, one must wonder how they're going to squeeze in any more widebodies in the afternoons and evenings (Eastern Europe is out of 757 range, unless their definition of Eastern Europe includes Scandinavia--and even so, it'd be quite the stretch westbound).
I wonder if OTP is a top contender. AC Rouge has seasonal flights to both YYZ and YUL. ZAG or DBV (like JonNYC mentioned) are both solid candidates.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Malaga, Spain is another interesting choice... Is AA taking route planning lessons from Thomas Cook or Condor?
Old Aug 14, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lowfareair
A6 is FIS-equipped, FI usually uses the gate. A5 no longer exists, stair-only or otherwise. Even if A3/7/9 are the only ones left, making them FIS-capable should free up some gates, especially for A320-family Caribbean arrivals and any 752 int'l flights, plus once the 321neo/LR start doing TATL flights (that is honestly only a matter of time at this point), it will provide additional gates for them.

Bumping this to mention it appears A7 AND A9 at PHL are (or soon will be) FIS capable gates, leaving only A3...
Old Aug 14, 2018, 5:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Malaga, Spain is another interesting choice... Is AA taking route planning lessons from Thomas Cook or Condor?
Malaga is a wonderful city too!
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:48 pm

Speaking of route speculation, is anyone else "mad" at JonNYC for making his Twitter feed private, or whatever the correct terminology is? I've never had a Twitter account, and don't really want one, but I'm highly considering it just so I can read his latest news, the only thing I ever checked on there anyway.
JonNYC, dciolli and PHX_Flyer like this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by dfw88
Speaking of route speculation, is anyone else "mad" at JonNYC for making his Twitter feed private, or whatever the correct terminology is? I've never had a Twitter account, and don't really want one, but I'm highly considering it just so I can read his latest news, the only thing I ever checked on there anyway.
I noticed that as well. Not surprising.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Lucky I followed him before he made his account private.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 6:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dfw88
Originally Posted by Longboater
Lucky I followed him before he made his account private.
People more than welcome to follow still

Although I'll only have it "protected" for about another 2 weeks (3 weeks absolute tops) for those who don't wanna.

(and, apropos that it came up in this thread )
wrp96 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.