Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IADCAflyer
Speculation: New Routes, Hubs, Flights (2017 Onward)
Because there is community interest in having a purely speculative discussion about whether other airports will pop up to become focus cities or hubs, new routes, etc. the following new thread has been amalgamated on this topic.

Note:

Going: 9 A330-300, ER190, some older 757-200 and 8 767-300ER (leaving 17), MD-80

Coming: Remainder of 16 Boeing 26 787-8, 22 Boeing 787-9 (began later 2016). A320 family - 100 A321neo, and B737-800 (100 737-MAX8) aircraft.

See Cranky Flier article on 2016 fleet changes, AA-HP-US. Link.

Also see: HELP DESK: General questions about aircraft equipment, fleet, seats, IFE, etc.

Speculation fun time: Will xxx be the next AA focus city / hub? (consolidated)

Obsolete posts from 2015 on have been moved to ARCHIVE: Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - 2015 on

All posts prior to 2015 have been moved here: ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)
Print Wikipost

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2019, 2:37 pm

PHL-Malaga, Nice plus Budapest to A330.
DFW-BCN
DFW-VCE
ORD-PRG
3rd CLT-LHR

These are some of what I have heard, no reliable sources of course but gossip none the less.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Piedmont767
PHL-Malaga, Nice plus Budapest to A330.
DFW-BCN
DFW-VCE
ORD-PRG
3rd CLT-LHR

These are some of what I have heard, no reliable sources of course but gossip none the less.
DFW-BCN makes perfect sense. I wonder if any chance they'd look at DFW-ATH? Isn't ORD-ATH doing much better than expected? Thought I read that somewhere.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by no1cub17
DFW-BCN makes perfect sense. I wonder if any chance they'd look at DFW-ATH? Isn't ORD-ATH doing much better than expected? Thought I read that somewhere.
As this is a pure speculation thread, I would think that possible additional flights would be destined to where AA Cruises have a start and/or end destination that are also popular for stays beyond the cruise (before or after) so BCN and ATH would make sense. Keep it in the family (from an AA perspective) is probably the most profitable option for them. Cruising is a very fast growing travel category..
Old Jul 13, 2019, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA: PPro, 4MM; HH: Lifetime Diamond; MAR Life Titanium Hertz: Prez Circle
Adding to the speculation nature, anyone have any thoughts why AA doesn't serve any of the Nordic capitals on its own metal? Many of the speculated destinations in Europe seem to be tourist destinations, but you would think CPH, ARN, HEL, and OSL would have more business traffic and the potential for higher revenues than other destinations.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 10:10 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by stewlevine
Adding to the speculation nature, anyone have any thoughts why AA doesn't serve any of the Nordic capitals on its own metal? Many of the speculated destinations in Europe seem to be tourist destinations, but you would think CPH, ARN, HEL, and OSL would have more business traffic and the potential for higher revenues than other destinations.
Because the yield is garbage and the traffic is Scandinavian-centric and will be more loyal to SAS/Norwegian. The market is also very concentrated on Miami and New York (SAS flies to all three capitals from MIA/EWR and Norwegian flies all three from FLL/JFK), even more so than other markets.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 2:29 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MAH4546

Because the yield is garbage and the traffic is Scandinavian-centric and will be more loyal to SAS/Norwegian. The market is also very concentrated on Miami and New York (SAS flies to all three capitals from MIA/EWR and Norwegian flies all three from FLL/JFK), even more so than other markets.
AA did fly to HEL on it's own metal for a couple of years, but ever since the signing of the JV between AA, BA, IB and AY, they are leaving the US-HEL traffic in the hands on AY.
SK likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
AA did fly to HEL on it's own metal for a couple of years, but ever since the signing of the JV between AA, BA, IB and AY, they are leaving the US-HEL traffic in the hands on AY.
...and ARN before that.
JohnDCA and teemuflyer like this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 1:05 pm

On the leisure side, I've seen surprisingly low fares to CPH/ARN/OSL for the past couple of years out of both PHL and NYC (I assume Norwegian has something to do with that). Also, US did serve ARN and OSL from PHL in the 2000s, I think with 757s.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 8:38 pm

Not AA specifically, but I'll throw out that BA takes over all of the PHL-LHR flying. They will already have the majority this winter with 12x vs. AA's 7x. Seems like at the moment BA has a wider range of options in their fleet across the 788, 789, 772, 744 that can meet the seasonal demand changes. AA is stuck with the 332/333 and not sure they'll have enough 787 in the immediate future to also handle PHL-LHR after all of the 763 route replacements.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by nova08
Not AA specifically, but I'll throw out that BA takes over all of the PHL-LHR flying. They will already have the majority this winter with 12x vs. AA's 7x. Seems like at the moment BA has a wider range of options in their fleet across the 788, 789, 772, 744 that can meet the seasonal demand changes. AA is stuck with the 332/333 and not sure they'll have enough 787 in the immediate future to also handle PHL-LHR after all of the 763 route replacements.
Doubtful. Next Year's OW schedule still shows:
2 x Daily AA 333
2 x Daily BA (777 / 789)
Although with their JV, the revenue is shared, I really can't see AA dropping LHR from a key international Hub portfolio. Also, I'd be surprised if the existing AA commercial contracts for the route would accept a foreign carrier (BA) as a total replacement.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 8:26 am

This is purely speculation, but I would bet that some subset of these four markets make an appearance when the 321XLRs start arriving. AA is surely worried about having too much plane in those markets, which could be solved by their new long-range narrow-body. If I had to guess, HEL will be first, given the potential synergies involved. I could see HEL starting before the 321XLR, actually, since AA seems to be in Europe dartboard mode and they at least have a partner there.

Also, I cannot imagine a universe where AA completely removes their own metal from PHL-LHR.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I would think that AA would have to be studying WAW. I recognize that WAW is a Star Hub, but the Chicago area has a HUGE Polish population - the claim is that more Poles live in the Chicago area than most cities in Poland.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 12:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
I would think that AA would have to be studying WAW. I recognize that WAW is a Star Hub, but the Chicago area has a HUGE Polish population - the claim is that more Poles live in the Chicago area than most cities in Poland.
If we're talking about Poland, why not have a seasonal PHL-KRK, once the new long-range A321's are flying?

True, there are a huge number of Polish Americans. However, I don't know many who actually have kept in touch with others in Poland (some of my great grandparents came from Poland; since I've done some family history/ancestry research I do know where, but have not found any confirmed living relatives in Poland. The area they came from is much closer to Berlin than Warsaw, and thousands of others also came to the US from that area).

I could see some value in KRK since it makes an excellent tourist destination. Since this is the speculation thread, why not have something really wild out there. According to their website, there are no flights from North America to KRK, so AA would have an advantage there.
As we've seen elsewhere, the AA leadership doesn't like competition, so this would be a route without any.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 5:31 pm

It has been reported that Southwest is ending LGA-MKE next year in April, which was an inherited route from AirTran. I believe AirTran and later Southwest had a downward pressure for fares for this market pair, and likely unattractive for AA as it is not that large, but without Southwest, it leaves Delta alone on MKE-LGA. Does it become viable for AA? Since LGA is slot controlled, AA would have to fund it from frequency decreases or route elimination of other underperforming LGA routes if they exist. Likelihood or not that AA adds it?
Old Nov 2, 2019, 7:23 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by beyondhere
It has been reported that Southwest is ending LGA-MKE next year in April, which was an inherited route from AirTran. I believe AirTran and later Southwest had a downward pressure for fares for this market pair, and likely unattractive for AA as it is not that large, but without Southwest, it leaves Delta alone on MKE-LGA. Does it become viable for AA? Since LGA is slot controlled, AA would have to fund it from frequency decreases or route elimination of other underperforming LGA routes if they exist. Likelihood or not that AA adds it?
AA is in full retreat mode in New York. I can't imagine why they'd want to compete with DL on a route that likely doesn't have that much in the way of traffic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.