Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IADCAflyer
Speculation: New Routes, Hubs, Flights (2017 Onward)
Because there is community interest in having a purely speculative discussion about whether other airports will pop up to become focus cities or hubs, new routes, etc. the following new thread has been amalgamated on this topic.

Note:

Going: 9 A330-300, ER190, some older 757-200 and 8 767-300ER (leaving 17), MD-80

Coming: Remainder of 16 Boeing 26 787-8, 22 Boeing 787-9 (began later 2016). A320 family - 100 A321neo, and B737-800 (100 737-MAX8) aircraft.

See Cranky Flier article on 2016 fleet changes, AA-HP-US. Link.

Also see: HELP DESK: General questions about aircraft equipment, fleet, seats, IFE, etc.

Speculation fun time: Will xxx be the next AA focus city / hub? (consolidated)

Obsolete posts from 2015 on have been moved to ARCHIVE: Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - 2015 on

All posts prior to 2015 have been moved here: ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)
Print Wikipost

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Originally Posted by ashill

I would certainly assume this would be replacing a BA flight, not a new flight. Either for matching capacity/product more precisely to the market or for WAS AA loyalists who (for whatever reason: frequent flyer program, product, and misunderstanding of the Fly America Act being three obvious ones on this particular route) prefer an AA plane enough that replacing a BA flight with an AA one would make them less likely to fly UA or another competitor.
Well SWUs are cheaper than AUPs.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
While AA doesn't have much of a presence at IAD it certainly does at DCA. I'm assuming AA is losing their share of European flights as who would want to deal with the often Washington to PHL/JFK nightmare or backtrack through ORD.
I’m in this category- I used to fly iad-lhr-European destination on BA very regularly when they were flying the 380 in/out of iAD, but I can’t stand the old 747s they run now. My employer makes me take coach, and the legroom in Y on those planes is awful. So I suck it up and fly through PHL or JFK when the timings are feasible so I can get MCE. Each time I do that, I wonder if I should switch to UA since I’d be able to fly direct to Europe and would get the economy plus seats. If AA started their own metal to LHR, there would be one less reason to abandon AA.
Personnaly, I’d love to see a day flight to LHR. Not so great for connections, but a much more enjoyable trip for me than the overnights.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
According to the UA forum, the ABE-EWR bus drops passengers off landside in both directions even though it picks passengers up airside at EWR.
When I took the ABE-EWR bus (back on CO), it picked up curbside at ABE. We checked in at the counter, they gave a boarding pass for the bus (and it said bus on it), along with other boarding passes. There weren't assigned seats. We were dropped off curbside at EWR, then still had to check any bags (I think they were already tagged), then clear security.

I was in college at the time, not far from ABE. It was nice to leave my car at a friend's parents' house, they drove us to ABE, and picked us up there after also.

I've wondered why US, now AA, didn't just run shuttles between ABE and PHL.

That said, I still think that IAD-LHR would be an odd routing. Other than hubs and RDU-LHR, AA doesn't really have any TA flights. The only flights AA has to IAD are from hubs, most of which already have flights to LHR (well PHX will be starting).
Didn't DL used to have (maybe still does) PIT-CDG?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by aztimm
That said, I still think that IAD-LHR would be an odd routing. Other than hubs and RDU-LHR, AA doesn't really have any TA flights. The only flights AA has to IAD are from hubs, most of which already have flights to LHR (well PHX will be starting).
DL operates a number of CDG and AMS flights from US cities that aren't DL hubs as part of their AF/KLM joint venture and has since the Northwest days, including BOS and SEA (both long predating either of them being DL hubs), IND, RDU, PDX, MCO, and TPA. I think with AF/KL/DL, it's largely about which airline has the right plane, particularly that DL has smaller TATL-configured planes than either AF or KL so makes sense as the operator of thinner routes. Looks like the PIT one is no more, though. For whatever reason, AA/BA have always had AA operate only the LHR flights from AA's hubs with the exception of the RDU flight, which predates the joint venture. IAD-LHR would obviously change that at least a bit.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
DL operates a number of CDG and AMS flights from US cities that aren't DL hubs as part of their AF/KLM joint venture and has since the Northwest days, including BOS and SEA (both long predating either of them being DL hubs), IND, RDU, PDX, MCO, and TPA. I think with AF/KL/DL, it's largely about which airline has the right plane, particularly that DL has smaller TATL-configured planes than either AF or KL so makes sense as the operator of thinner routes. Looks like the PIT one is no more, though. For whatever reason, AA/BA have always had AA operate only the LHR flights from AA's hubs with the exception of the RDU flight, which predates the joint venture. IAD-LHR would obviously change that at least a bit.
Speaking of equipment, what would AA run on this route? LHR sees 788s, A333s, 772s and 773s. No 757s and no 767s. Given the speculative nature of IAD, I am guessing a 788.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Speaking of equipment, what would AA run on this route? LHR sees 788s, A333s, 772s and 773s. No 757s and no 767s. Given the speculative nature of IAD, I am guessing a 788.
I think a 788 is a safe bet.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:06 pm

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by aztimm
DL ended their seasonal PIT-CDG because BA is starting year-round (4x, weekly) PIT-LHR in April. It's already bookable as an AA codeshare.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 4:16 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by perseus11
IF AA starts IAD-LHR, watch UA retaliate and (re)start PHL-LHR.
On an amusing note, in 2016 DL started RDU-EWR. United decided to retaliate and start RDU-LGA, an incredibly rare point to point route for them. It lasted about 9 months while Delta is still flying RDU-EWR today.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Surprised this thread has been dormant so long. Thought I'd revive it given jonnyc's recent tweets about additional secondary Europe (especially Italy). Anyone have a guess? I'll start with PHL-NAP.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
WAW or, at lesser priority, KRK, are likely seriously options.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by no1cub17
Surprised this thread has been dormant so long. Thought I'd revive it given jonnyc's recent tweets about additional secondary Europe (especially Italy). Anyone have a guess? I'll start with PHL-NAP.
I'm going for PHL-PMO since UA already flies to NAP and no one has attempted US-Sicily since IG changed their business model.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dls25
I'm going for PHL-PMO since UA already flies to NAP and no one has attempted US-Sicily since IG changed their business model.
Technically Sicily is not Italy and of the rumors are more Italy flights, then PMO would be out. I would love to see PHL-NAP.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Technically Sicily is not Italy
Huh?
JonNYC, SJOGuy, bse118 and 6 others like this.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Technically Sicily is not Italy and of the rumors are more Italy flights, then PMO would be out. I would love to see PHL-NAP.
Sicily seceded? Do tell!
Old Jul 13, 2019, 2:21 pm
Suspended

Technically Sicily is not Italy and of the rumors are more Italy flights, then PMO would be out.
Even if that little pedantic excursion there was true (and it isn't, to be clear,) there is no way "new service to Italy" would exclude Sicily on that basis, it's pure silliness to suggest that.
JJeffrey and IndyHoosier like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.