Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IADCAflyer
Speculation: New Routes, Hubs, Flights (2017 Onward)
Because there is community interest in having a purely speculative discussion about whether other airports will pop up to become focus cities or hubs, new routes, etc. the following new thread has been amalgamated on this topic.

Note:

Going: 9 A330-300, ER190, some older 757-200 and 8 767-300ER (leaving 17), MD-80

Coming: Remainder of 16 Boeing 26 787-8, 22 Boeing 787-9 (began later 2016). A320 family - 100 A321neo, and B737-800 (100 737-MAX8) aircraft.

See Cranky Flier article on 2016 fleet changes, AA-HP-US. Link.

Also see: HELP DESK: General questions about aircraft equipment, fleet, seats, IFE, etc.

Speculation fun time: Will xxx be the next AA focus city / hub? (consolidated)

Obsolete posts from 2015 on have been moved to ARCHIVE: Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - 2015 on

All posts prior to 2015 have been moved here: ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)
Print Wikipost

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:47 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by Cltfc
Now that AA has announced the new routes, it appears that all Transatlantic Service except for MXP and EDI fly non stop from PHL. What are the odds that these routes are moved or launch from PHL as well.
The problem with Milan is that travelers overwhelmingly prefer Linate, even when flying long-haul. MXP only supports year-round service to New York and Miami in the States (and Atlanta seasonally. That's it.), and both are massive local markets with strong premium demand due to the business connections Milan has with those cities. I don't see Philadelphia working.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:00 pm

Programs: AA: PPro, 4MM; HH: Lifetime Diamond; MAR Life Titanium Hertz: Prez Circle
Originally Posted by Fanjet
Then what's the point?

It seems that they are doing this for the O&D traffic instead of connecting traffic to Europe. So why not just fly into LGA instead (where you can have domestic connections there as well, like DCA and BOS)?
That of course assumes AA had the slots to go into LGA instead of JFK
Old Aug 22, 2017, 1:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by MAH4546
The problem with Milan is that travelers overwhelmingly prefer Linate, even when flying long-haul. MXP only supports year-round service to New York and Miami in the States (and Atlanta seasonally. That's it.), and both are massive local markets with strong premium demand due to the business connections Milan has with those cities. I don't see Philadelphia working.
Some here will also recall that US tried PHL-MXP for a bit and dropped it, presumably for these reasons. Most tourists to Italy want FCO or VCE.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by phlwookie
Some here will also recall that US tried PHL-MXP for a bit and dropped it, presumably for these reasons. Most tourists to Italy want FCO or VCE.
Yeah I guess you are right.
US Airways launched PHL-FCO in 1996, PHL-VCE in 2005 and PHL-MXP in 2006.
While they have been operating Rome & Venice since then (well nowadays as AA flights), the Milan route only lasted 3 years till S09.

Back to late October 2009 this was the reason cited by the carrier for the Milan suspension (along with other 4 "weak" destinations).

Originally Posted by US AIRWAYS
US Airways is making the following changes to facilitate the realignment strategy, which dictates matching the airline's schedule and operation to customer demand:

* Suspending five European destinations from US Airways' international gateway in Philadelphia, given the weakness in trans-Atlantic revenue: Birmingham, U.K. (BHX); London Gatwick, U.K. (LGW); Milan, Italy (MXP); Shannon, Ireland (SNN); and Stockholm, Sweden (ARN). Seasonal service to Brussels, Belgium (BRU) and Zurich, Switzerland (ZRH) will transition to year-round service in late 2010.
http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...n-Core-Network

A bit curious, 1 month later the PHL-MXP suspension announcement, US Airways announced CLT-FCO to begin in S10.

Originally Posted by US AIRWAYS
US Airways to Offer New Nonstop Flight to Rome from Charlotte Hub

New Daily Service to the Italian Capital from the Airline’s Largest Hub Begins in May 2010

CHARLOTTE, N.C.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Dec. 4, 2009
Old Aug 22, 2017, 9:26 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by phlwookie
I think something shifted about six years ago with a lot of traffic moving from MXP to FCO. For example, Alitalia used to fly BOS-MXP and although it was always pretty full it shifted to FCO a handful of years ago. Did FCO get more capacity or something?
Old Aug 22, 2017, 9:54 am

I didn't see this posted here, but it looks like PHL-AMS is upgraded to a 767 as well next summer. I think this will leave GLA and SNN as the only 2 TATL cities with 757 service from PHL in S18, everything else is in a widebody.

It also surprised me how much JFK TATL service is on 757s (DUB, EDI) and 767s (CDG, MAD) next summer. MAD especially, being a OW hub with a JV partner, only has 1 flight/day.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by stc
I think something shifted about six years ago with a lot of traffic moving from MXP to FCO. For example, Alitalia used to fly BOS-MXP and although it was always pretty full it shifted to FCO a handful of years ago. Did FCO get more capacity or something?
The Shift occurred in 2009 when Alitalia closed its MXP Hub and and restarted FCO as a hub. I remember reading at the time that US lost about 40 passengers on average that connected at MXP, the hub shift and soaring fuel costs in 08-09 led to the closure of the MXP route from PHL.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MAH4546
I don't understand the statement (bolded) - Linate is not allowed by law to have non EU flights - so there are NO longhaul flights from Lin.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Hollinger Clarke
I don't understand the statement (bolded) - Linate is not allowed by law to have non EU flights - so there are NO longhaul flights from Lin.
You are correct there are no long haul flights outside of the EU but lots of business travelers prefer Linate even though they are connecting in Fra, MUC, CDG, LHR etc. This is because it is very close to the city center versus MXP that is about 40 minutes north of the city. Milan is very under served because LIN takes traffic that would otherwise flow into MXP. There have been proposals to close LIN and force all traffic to MXP but that will never happen. So until this problem is solved MXP will be under served internationally- especially on the North Atlantic.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 1:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
You are correct there are no long haul flights outside of the EU but lots of business travelers prefer Linate even though they are connecting in Fra, MUC, CDG, LHR etc. This is because it is very close to the city center versus MXP that is about 40 minutes north of the city. Milan is very under served because LIN takes traffic that would otherwise flow into MXP. There have been proposals to close LIN and force all traffic to MXP but that will never happen. So until this problem is solved MXP will be under served internationally- especially on the North Atlantic.
MXP is great if you're going straight to Lake Como via car hire though! Skip Milan and just spend your time in the lake region ^

Last edited by AANYC1981; Aug 22, 2017 at 2:25 pm
Old Aug 22, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lowfareair
MAD especially, being a OW hub with a JV partner, only has 1 flight/day.
Yes, but also don't forget IB, which has two daily A346s serving the route (at least in the summer; not sure if they draw it down to one daily or downgauge one of the frequencies). Not sure if JFK-MAD needs more OW capacity than that.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
MXP is great if you're going straight to Lake Como via car hire though!
Or, Lake Garda to stay at Villa Feltrinelli!
JonNYC and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Stumblefoot
Or, Lake Garda to stay at Villa Feltrinelli!
Vce is the airport to use if going to lake Garda. Only 40 minutes from the airport at tessera, Mxp is over 2 hours
Old Aug 22, 2017, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
MXP is great if you're going straight to Lake Como via car hire though! Skip Milan and just spend your time in the lake region ^
Absolutely! Nonstop in EK F from JFK is one of my favorite ways to get away to the Italian Lakes for a long weekend when I need reality to disappear briefly. MXP fills that role perfectly fine, in fact, great since one can board directly from the EK lounge on the return flight!
Old Aug 23, 2017, 3:09 am

The Shift occurred in 2009 when Alitalia closed its MXP Hub and and restarted FCO as a hub. I remember reading at the time that US lost about 40 passengers on average that connected at MXP, the hub shift and soaring fuel costs in 08-09 led to the closure of the MXP route from PHL.
It occurred at the end of W07/08 (Mar08), the last season at MXP as Alitalia's hub.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.