Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Covid-19 Update:
  • Sapphire+ status pax are temporarily allowed to use the Al Mourjan Business Lounge
  • Only tickets issued on QR 157 stock are eligible for the Extending Our Commitment (EOC) rebooking policy
link to QR Travel Alerts)

For further information on AA awards see:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion

and

AA oneworld and Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015 on)

N.B. Upgrades on QR book into fares not granted EQD/EQM by AA. If you're upgraded on QR, be prepared for pushback from some AA agents. You may have to submit a formal request with accompanying documentation reflecting you purchased an eligible fare class.

NOTE:AA has removed most EY and QR award access from aa.com due to a glitch booking these:

From One Mile at a Time (link)

Bottom Line

For the time being you’ll have to call American if you want to ticket AAdvantage awards on Etihad & Qatar that aren’t for travel to & from the US or Canada. It makes sense that American took these awards “offline,” and now it also makes sense why so many passengers have been having issues with checked bags on awards.
If you experience difficulties with the AA reservations system, you may be able to book by calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (South African agency Mindpearl) - as they can often see the inventory more reliably, and you can book.

NOTE: USA Canada travel on QR will earn EQ miles etc. in accordance with the fare class purchased.

Links:

Link to AA.com Qatar miles earning etc.

AA miles earning on QR changed 1 May 2016 (Link):

Minimum miles guarantee applies.

Checking QR award availability:

You can check QR availability on AA's site, BA's site, QF's site, www.awardnexus.com (which pulls from BA and/or QF), or the KVS tool. (A certain number of searches are free to FlyerTalk members at AwardNexus; click the "more signup options" link under the green Purchase button to sign up as a FlyerTalk member.)

When checking QR award availability, you have to check each segment individually. Both BA and QF can generate very misleading information if you try to check QR award availability all the way through [xxx-(DOH)-yyy] in one step. Be aware AA can only book 330 days out, even if you see availability farther out.

Awards on QR may not be visible to AA agents if a multi-segment itinerary is requested; broken into individual segments will generally reveal availability, however.

As well, AA Australia or New Zealand (actually MindPearl in Fiji) can often see and book AA awards on QR US-based ones might not be able to.

From danger: For AA awards, Economy is X, Business is U, First is Z. NOTE: Those with Z (First) awards may see "Z (Business Class)" shown on the QR website; this is a known glitch.

As well, QR sells intra gulf two class service as First and Economy, as AA does domestically. This can cause some issues with a Business flight including a Gulf "First" flight potentially incurring an F award redemption.

From hotelmotel: "Got my QR PNR from AA. Popped over to QR and selected seats." (AAdvantage award.)

Days of the week: To/from the USA, especially in business class, Qatar often only offers awards seats for Mon..Thu departures, not Fri..Sun departures. So makes sure you check different parts of the week, and not just always weekends (if you're not finding anything on weekends).

NOTE: At DOH / Hamad International Airport, lounges as follows:

Qatar Airways Al Safwa First Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying First Class on Qatar or oneworld airlines and QRPC Platniums flying in ticketed Business (not oneworld Emeralds flying other lower classes of service)

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Business Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying Business Class on Qatar or oneworld (not oneworld Sapphire flying lower classes of service)

Oryx Lounge: Third party lounge.

Qatar Airways HIA First Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First Class ticketed customers, Emerald members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Qatar Airways HIA Business Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First and Business Class ticketed customers, Emerald and Sapphire members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Arrivals Lounges (not oneworld lounges): only accessible to those arriving in First or Business Class on Qatar Airways (not oneworld Sapphire flying other oneworld airlines or other classes of service)

See FT: QR Lounges at HIA

Selecting Qatar Airways Seats
If you want to assign a seat after booking an award, you should first try the Qatar website or app. If you experience issues, please try a partner site like Royal Jordanian, Malaysia Airlines, or Sri-Lankan. You can also reach out to the QR Twitter team to fix your record in order to be able to select seats on their own site.
Print Wikipost

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2020, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
I used *at*QRSupport
Old Aug 21, 2020, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by cheltzel
I used *at*QRSupport
Thanks! Is that what's referred to as the "zen desk"?
Old Aug 21, 2020, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by ft4lyf
Ah. That is indeed a long time.

Fortunately, you have a long time left for your trip.
Unfortunately, looks like you have to resend the message on twitter.
I have 300 days so there indeed is no hurry. I deleted my messages and was going to wait a week and see. I was also thinking about calling the QR local reservation number. It appears that the US reservation center is at/around ORD. Otherwise I'll Skype the Doha call center.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by JohnAx
Thanks! Is that what's referred to as the "zen desk"?
I have no idea. It is what I found searching FT.

Update:

Qatar responded on twitter 8+ days after initial request. Everything take care of. There is a fair amount of chatter on the QR forum about a temporary overload in their customer support area. maybe this has something to do with the delay.
JohnAx likes this.

Last edited by cheltzel; Aug 22, 2020 at 10:23 am
Old Aug 27, 2020, 2:23 pm

I'm looking to book J for 2 peoeple from JFK-DOH-MLE in oct 2020. I can find award availability on JFK-DOH, but nothing for DOH-MLE, not even in economy. weirdly, there is economy available everyday in september, and a few days available last week of october, but not for the rest of october. Does anyone know why? Is it due to them not loading the october 2020 schedule yet or something?

Also likelihood that it opens up in J?

Thanks!
Old Sep 3, 2020, 8:32 am

Programs: AA, QR, SQ, BA, Marriott, IHG, Hilton
Looking to book a PHL - DOH - SIN to fly in the next couple of months but similar to miss_travel, can only find award space on the return leg: SIN - DOH (40K) and DOH - PHL (70K). When I called, agent mentioned it's because I'm forcing over Atlantic which is a longer distance (vs. Pacific). Any way around this to book as 1 segment or do I have no choice and need to book 2 segments?

Alternatively, I was thinking of book the PHL - DOH - PHL with miles and just buy Y ticket for DOH - SIN - DOH but considering they would be separate tickets, would I be allowed to fly? Would I need to re-check bags in DOH when I land or could QR forward them on, even though on separate bookings?

Sorry for the multiple questions, first time doing a partner airline mileage redemption and appreciate all the help!
Old Sep 3, 2020, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by cheltzel
I have 300 days so there indeed is no hurry. I deleted my messages and was going to wait a week and see. I was also thinking about calling the QR local reservation number. It appears that the US reservation center is at/around ORD. Otherwise I'll Skype the Doha call center.
I had the exact problem you had...when I booked a QR award issued by AA this past weekend. It took QR support three days to respond to a Twitter DM. But, they did assign the seats as I wanted.
However, it looks like the "change seats" option does not show anymore on the QR "Manage my booking" page. Perhaps they dont want award tix to be able to change seats?
No idea.
Anyways, seats assigned. Able to view special meal requests, mobility requests, etc.....
Old Sep 3, 2020, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by trixter
Looking to book a PHL - DOH - SIN to fly in the next couple of months but similar to miss_travel, can only find award space on the return leg: SIN - DOH (40K) and DOH - PHL (70K). When I called, agent mentioned it's because I'm forcing over Atlantic which is a longer distance (vs. Pacific). Any way around this to book as 1 segment or do I have no choice and need to book 2 segments?

Alternatively, I was thinking of book the PHL - DOH - PHL with miles and just buy Y ticket for DOH - SIN - DOH but considering they would be separate tickets, would I be allowed to fly? Would I need to re-check bags in DOH when I land or could QR forward them on, even though on separate bookings?

Sorry for the multiple questions, first time doing a partner airline mileage redemption and appreciate all the help!
With AA awards, if you fly PHL-DOH-SIN (or SIN-DOH-PHL) - it will price as two separate awards (PHL-DOH plus DOH-SIN). So, you will pay more miles in that case.

If you fly through Japan / HongKong for example, then this can be priced as one award for a cheaper total price.

In these COVID times, separate tickets are generally not recommended and more so if you plan to check luggage.

Qatar airways is very good about checking luggage through if you have two separate Qatar airways tickets, for example. However, for PHL-DOH, they may consider you as a passenger going to DOHA (and not SIN). That may / may not cause problems at check-in in these times.

You are probably aware of this - Singapore is still quite restricted with respect to who can enter the country at this moment. Hopefully you have entry rights, etc.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 10:48 am

With AA awards, if you fly PHL-DOH-SIN (or SIN-DOH-PHL) - it will price as two separate awards (PHL-DOH plus DOH-SIN). So, you will pay more miles in that case.

If you fly through Japan / HongKong for example, then this can be priced as one award for a cheaper total price.

In these COVID times, separate tickets are generally not recommended and more so if you plan to check luggage.

Qatar airways is very good about checking luggage through if you have two separate Qatar airways tickets, for example. However, for PHL-DOH, they may consider you as a passenger going to DOHA (and not SIN). That may / may not cause problems at check-in in these times.

You are probably aware of this - Singapore is still quite restricted with respect to who can enter the country at this moment. Hopefully you have entry rights, etc.
Thank you so much for sharing your insights and advice!

Bummer that AA will price it as 2 separate awards but I guess that's just how it is. Good to hear that QR is good on checking it through but I too have similar concerns if the separate ticket would hold as well, due to no visitors in DOH right now. Will look at going through Japan or Hong Kong in that case and do it as a single ticket/award.

Yup, aware of SIN restrictions but I'm cleared so just a matter of finding the appropriate flights.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 10:56 am

On a separate but related note, do you know one could book QR flights with miles and then call the call center to change destination based on the travel guarantee? Or is the guarantee only for full revenue ticket?
Old Sep 3, 2020, 4:11 pm

On a separate but related note, do you know one could book QR flights with miles and then call the call center to change destination based on the travel guarantee? Or is the guarantee only for full revenue ticket?
I think you are asking about Qatar's "Book with Confidence" Policy.

I am not sure if that will work if your ticket was issued with AA miles.

You can ask the question in this master thread:
Covid-19: Book with Confidence QR Policy
Old Sep 3, 2020, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
I think you are asking about Qatar's "Book with Confidence" Policy.

I am not sure if that will work if your ticket was issued with AA miles.

You can ask the question in this master thread:
Covid-19: Book with Confidence QR Policy
Early on, they said it only applies to tickets booked with QR miles. From reading the QR board, however, it sounds like different agents have very different interpretations of the rules (though rarely in the direction of more flexibility).
Old Sep 3, 2020, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
First, a minor clarification on wording, which I only mention because using the wrong term can confuse agents and others: "segment" refers to flights (PHL-DOH-SIN is two segments). To your main question, AA has fairly restrictive rules on how award itineraries can be routed. Going from the U.S. to Asia is not permitted to transit in the Middle East. You can book on Cathay Pacific or Japan Airlines and pay one award; routing via DOH will require two awards. Regardless, the availability of award space is independent of pricing as one vs two awards. If you're willing to pay for two awards, then search segment by segment for award space.

If you want to do this, you can call AA and have an agent book all flights in the same record, with PHL-DOH as an award, then DOH-SIN-DOH as a paid ticket, and then DOH-PHL as an award. There will be seperate tickets issued for the award and paid flights, but out of the same record, which means you can through-check your bags, and in the event of flight delays or cancellations or disruptions, agents will see your complete itinerary and can rebook you accordingly. It also can make it easier to pass through DOH.

To my understanding, the QR Book with Confidence policy only applies to tickets issued by QR. If you book QR flights with AA, then any changes will be up to AA to make. For making voluntary changes on an award itinerary, the QR and AA policies are effectively the same: there will be no change fee, but you need original booking inventory on the new flights. For that reason, you're better off booking what you want from the start, as the cost in AA miles will be the same and you'll need award inventory anyway.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Thank you so much for sharing your insights and advice!

Bummer that AA will price it as 2 separate awards but I guess that's just how it is. Good to hear that QR is good on checking it through but I too have similar concerns if the separate ticket would hold as well, due to no visitors in DOH right now. Will look at going through Japan or Hong Kong in that case and do it as a single ticket/award.

Yup, aware of SIN restrictions but I'm cleared so just a matter of finding the appropriate flights.

AFAIK very few airlines allow US-ASIA on one award, exception being when booking on the same airline as miles are from. This has to to with with the world being separated into Zones. Zone 1 - the Americas, Zone 2 - Europe/Africa/ME, Zone 3 - Asia/Australia/ Ocenaic. You usually can only travel as a through fare direct from Zone to Zone. If you transit the Zone inbetween (Zone 2 in your case) you usually always must book a broken fare. The ME airlines are the main exceptions. However that means booking with them, which you cant do for OAL mile award.

As far as baggage and BPs, QR will check you in across tickets. They will treat you as if your destination on 2nd ticket was your destination on the 1st. (Thus they'll treat you as connecting at DOH, not arriving)
If you have a flight on AA as your first flight (ie domestic flight to PHL), AA only checks when on one ticket or on separate only when there's a request due to medical issue. (Meaning involving right under ACA to require a policy accommodation)
Old Sep 4, 2020, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Just to clarify, it is no problem to book PHL-DOH-SIN as one ticket using AA miles however it will price as 2​​​​​​ awards.

You have to use multi city to book it, but once booked it will all be the same PNR/ticket, so no issues with checking bags through or anything like that.

Essentially PHL-DOH-SIN will cost 70k+40k as mentioned above, vs. just 70k all the way to SIN if you go via the Pacific on a single award.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.