Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Covid-19 Update:
  • Sapphire+ status pax are temporarily allowed to use the Al Mourjan Business Lounge
  • Only tickets issued on QR 157 stock are eligible for the Extending Our Commitment (EOC) rebooking policy
link to QR Travel Alerts)

For further information on AA awards see:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion

and

AA oneworld and Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015 on)

N.B. Upgrades on QR book into fares not granted EQD/EQM by AA. If you're upgraded on QR, be prepared for pushback from some AA agents. You may have to submit a formal request with accompanying documentation reflecting you purchased an eligible fare class.

NOTE:AA has removed most EY and QR award access from aa.com due to a glitch booking these:

From One Mile at a Time (link)

Bottom Line

For the time being you’ll have to call American if you want to ticket AAdvantage awards on Etihad & Qatar that aren’t for travel to & from the US or Canada. It makes sense that American took these awards “offline,” and now it also makes sense why so many passengers have been having issues with checked bags on awards.
If you experience difficulties with the AA reservations system, you may be able to book by calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (South African agency Mindpearl) - as they can often see the inventory more reliably, and you can book.

NOTE: USA Canada travel on QR will earn EQ miles etc. in accordance with the fare class purchased.

Links:

Link to AA.com Qatar miles earning etc.

AA miles earning on QR changed 1 May 2016 (Link):

Minimum miles guarantee applies.

Checking QR award availability:

You can check QR availability on AA's site, BA's site, QF's site, www.awardnexus.com (which pulls from BA and/or QF), or the KVS tool. (A certain number of searches are free to FlyerTalk members at AwardNexus; click the "more signup options" link under the green Purchase button to sign up as a FlyerTalk member.)

When checking QR award availability, you have to check each segment individually. Both BA and QF can generate very misleading information if you try to check QR award availability all the way through [xxx-(DOH)-yyy] in one step. Be aware AA can only book 330 days out, even if you see availability farther out.

Awards on QR may not be visible to AA agents if a multi-segment itinerary is requested; broken into individual segments will generally reveal availability, however.

As well, AA Australia or New Zealand (actually MindPearl in Fiji) can often see and book AA awards on QR US-based ones might not be able to.

From danger: For AA awards, Economy is X, Business is U, First is Z. NOTE: Those with Z (First) awards may see "Z (Business Class)" shown on the QR website; this is a known glitch.

As well, QR sells intra gulf two class service as First and Economy, as AA does domestically. This can cause some issues with a Business flight including a Gulf "First" flight potentially incurring an F award redemption.

From hotelmotel: "Got my QR PNR from AA. Popped over to QR and selected seats." (AAdvantage award.)

Days of the week: To/from the USA, especially in business class, Qatar often only offers awards seats for Mon..Thu departures, not Fri..Sun departures. So makes sure you check different parts of the week, and not just always weekends (if you're not finding anything on weekends).

NOTE: At DOH / Hamad International Airport, lounges as follows:

Qatar Airways Al Safwa First Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying First Class on Qatar or oneworld airlines and QRPC Platniums flying in ticketed Business (not oneworld Emeralds flying other lower classes of service)

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Business Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying Business Class on Qatar or oneworld (not oneworld Sapphire flying lower classes of service)

Oryx Lounge: Third party lounge.

Qatar Airways HIA First Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First Class ticketed customers, Emerald members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Qatar Airways HIA Business Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First and Business Class ticketed customers, Emerald and Sapphire members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Arrivals Lounges (not oneworld lounges): only accessible to those arriving in First or Business Class on Qatar Airways (not oneworld Sapphire flying other oneworld airlines or other classes of service)

See FT: QR Lounges at HIA

Selecting Qatar Airways Seats
If you want to assign a seat after booking an award, you should first try the Qatar website or app. If you experience issues, please try a partner site like Royal Jordanian, Malaysia Airlines, or Sri-Lankan. You can also reach out to the QR Twitter team to fix your record in order to be able to select seats on their own site.
Print Wikipost

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2020, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Kleinnaf
will AA be able to book it as a mixed cabin and only charge 70k?

Also a little off topic: flight is in about 2 weeks
Can I still place a 5 day hold?
If not are there still any waivers for free award redeposit?
If AA can book it as mixed cabin, it will be at the through business class award level.

I believe the five-day hold for awards applies for any travel more than five days out, but I'm not certain. I think the current COVID-19 change fee waiver applies to award reinstatement fees, but I'm not certain.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism
If AA can book it as mixed cabin, it will be at the through business class award level.

I believe the five-day hold for awards applies for any travel more than five days out, but I'm not certain. I think the current COVID-19 change fee waiver applies to award reinstatement fees, but I'm not certain.
Thank thank you I was hoping this would be the case.
After a bit more research it seems a 5-day hold can only be placed 14 days out and in regards to the reinstatement that changed July 1st and now can only be cancelled 60 days out
I'm not 100% sure.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 5:41 pm

Thank thank you I was hoping this would be the case.
After a bit more research it seems a 5-day hold can only be placed 14 days out and in regards to the reinstatement that changed July 1st and now can only be cancelled 60 days out
I'm not 100% sure.
Thanks for following up.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA
Does anyone have recommendations on how to book DFW > DOH > KUL roundtrip using AA miles in the Q Suite for this coming mid December thru early Jan (honeymoon planning has been a nightmare with COVID)? Have had no luck with AA, or BA finding availability. Half the time both of their websites are not working.

Any advice or recent success would be so greatly appreciated
Old Jul 27, 2020, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by amg5t
Does anyone have recommendations on how to book DFW > DOH > KUL roundtrip using AA miles in the Q Suite for this coming mid December thru early Jan (honeymoon planning has been a nightmare with COVID)? Have had no luck with AA, or BA finding availability. Half the time both of their websites are not working.

How are you searching? You can't book DFW-DOH-KUL as a single award so if you're searching DFW-KUL at aa.com you will never see QR results.

You can book this though, you just have to search using multi city for DFW-DOH + DOH-KUL, and keep in mind it will cost 2 awards. In business 70k DFW-DOH + 40k DOH-KUL, 110k total (same price as an F award via TYO or HKG).

Also what specific dates do you need? In mid December I see lots of days with 2 business available on say DFW-IAH/MIA/LAX-DOH. Didn't see much for DOH-KUL besides connections in CMB.

If you can depart in early Januaray then things were much more open.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 8:23 am

If your primary goal is to enjoy a long Qsuite flight, keep in mind that QR is notorious for switching equipment around. It would be a shame to spend extra miles for award flights and not get Qsuites. If your goal is to go to Kuala Lumpur from Dallas, try looking for CX and JL space, as that will be 70k miles per person each way (US48 to Asia2). If you route on QR (or EY), it will be two awards: 70k per person each way (US48 to Middle East) plus 40k per person each way (Middle East to Asia2), and you might not get Qsuite after all. If you really want Qsuites, maybe go somewhere in Africa, which is permitted to route via the Middle East (or Europe), and is 75k per person each way.

Although, to be frank, I'm skeptical about travel in the December-January time frame, especially from the U.S. I'd suggest at least considering a delayed honeymoon trip, maybe next summer or later.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 8:58 am

i have a aa miles business booking soon ,i will be transiting through DOH which lounge will i be able to use ?
i have no status and i am reading conflicting information ?
Old Jul 27, 2020, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by poppyz
i have a aa miles business booking soon ,i will be transiting through DOH which lounge will i be able to use ?
i have no status and i am reading conflicting information ?
If you are flying in QR J, you will have access to the Al Mourjan Business Lounge if it is open. This is nicer than the "Business Class Lounge," which is for those with Oneworld Sapphire status or flying in J on any OneWorld airline flight.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 11:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
If you are flying in QR J, you will have access to the Al Mourjan Business Lounge if it is open. This is nicer than the "Business Class Lounge," which is for those with Oneworld Sapphire status or flying in J on any OneWorld airline flight.
Actually, at least temporarily (due to Covid-19), it appears that you don't need to be flying QR J specifically, in order to have access to Al Mourjan but rather can access via any Oneworld Business class or via status (if in economy).

Source: https://loyaltylobby.com/2020/04/17/...lounge-closed/

Regards
Old Jul 27, 2020, 12:11 pm

very helpful, thank you
Old Jul 27, 2020, 12:20 pm

If your primary goal is to enjoy a long Qsuite flight, keep in mind that QR is notorious for switching equipment around. It would be a shame to spend extra miles for award flights and not get Qsuites. If your goal is to go to Kuala Lumpur from Dallas, try looking for CX and JL space, as that will be 70k miles per person each way (US48 to Asia2). If you route on QR (or EY), it will be two awards: 70k per person each way (US48 to Middle East) plus 40k per person each way (Middle East to Asia2), and you might not get Qsuite after all. If you really want Qsuites, maybe go somewhere in Africa, which is permitted to route via the Middle East (or Europe), and is 75k per person each way.

Although, to be frank, I'm skeptical about travel in the December-January time frame, especially from the U.S. I'd suggest at least considering a delayed honeymoon trip, maybe next summer or later.
Great input, thank you
Old Jul 29, 2020, 2:54 am

Trying to piece together an award
MLE-DOH-JFK

MLE-DOH shows up in economy and DOH-JFK in J when searching multi city
17.5k + 70k

when searching separately MLE-DOH doesn't show up at all.
However if searching One way it's shows up all the way through only in Eco (40k)

will AA be able to book it as a mixed cabin and only charge 70k?

Also a little off topic: flight is in about 2 weeks
Can I still place a 5 day hold?
If not are there still any waivers for free award redeposit?
so far 3 agents say I can't book mixed cabin
Only option is to book coach all the way through.

Flight no longer shows up as a multi city.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 10:57 am

Trying to piece together USA-DOH-MLE arrival date 3/28/2021 (departure probably 3/26/2021). Preferably Qsuites. 3 pax. Willing to travel to reposition from Washington DC area.

Can find USA-DOH (70k) and DOH-CMB-MLE (17.5k) separately via multi-city. No availability one way USA-DOH-MLE. Called AA and they didn't see availability either.

I am new to award booking. Is it a bad deal to have to pay 87.5k for the multi-city booking, esp. with DOH-CMB-MLE on Y, even though I can get the exact date/time I want? How likely will seats open up so that I can book a one way USA-DOH-MLE J for 3 people on the date I want?

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited by miss_travel; Jul 30, 2020 at 11:05 am
Old Jul 30, 2020, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by miss_travel
Trying to piece together USA-DOH-MLE arrival date 3/28/2021 (departure probably 3/26/2021). Preferably Qsuites. 3 pax. Willing to travel to reposition from Washington DC area.

Can find USA-DOH (70k) and DOH-CMB-MLE (17.5k) separately via multi-city. No availability one way USA-DOH-MLE. Called AA and they didn't see availability either.

I am new to award booking. Is it a bad deal to have to pay 87.5k for the multi-city booking, esp. with DOH-CMB-MLE on Y, even though I can get the exact date/time I want? How likely will seats open up so that I can book a one way USA-DOH-MLE J for 3 people on the date I want?

Many thanks in advance.
Just my opinion, but I'd snag the 3 seats in J to DOH and deal with the DOH-MLE separately later. It's sort of a bummer about the extra 17.5k miles, but if that's the case, I might even just pay for an economy ticket to get the non-stop DOH-MLE. Have you signed up with AwardNexus? You can join since you are on Flyertalk, and you can set up an automatic search to alert you if/when 3 seats become available DOH-MLE.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 2:05 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz

Is QR even flying DOH-KUL in December or January? I'm looking on Google Flights, and the prices are unusually high. The DFW-DOH leg is on QR, but the DOH-KUL leg is on MH, on every date that I tried.

Generally (before Coronavirus), QR had some very attractive business class prices for DFW/IAH (and possibly others in the USA) to KUL and PEN. $2500 to $3000 was usually the range, sometimes even less, especially for PEN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.