Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Covid-19 Update:
  • Sapphire+ status pax are temporarily allowed to use the Al Mourjan Business Lounge
  • Only tickets issued on QR 157 stock are eligible for the Extending Our Commitment (EOC) rebooking policy
link to QR Travel Alerts)

For further information on AA awards see:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion

and

AA oneworld and Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015 on)

N.B. Upgrades on QR book into fares not granted EQD/EQM by AA. If you're upgraded on QR, be prepared for pushback from some AA agents. You may have to submit a formal request with accompanying documentation reflecting you purchased an eligible fare class.

NOTE:AA has removed most EY and QR award access from aa.com due to a glitch booking these:

From One Mile at a Time (link)

Bottom Line

For the time being you’ll have to call American if you want to ticket AAdvantage awards on Etihad & Qatar that aren’t for travel to & from the US or Canada. It makes sense that American took these awards “offline,” and now it also makes sense why so many passengers have been having issues with checked bags on awards.
If you experience difficulties with the AA reservations system, you may be able to book by calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (South African agency Mindpearl) - as they can often see the inventory more reliably, and you can book.

NOTE: USA Canada travel on QR will earn EQ miles etc. in accordance with the fare class purchased.

Links:

Link to AA.com Qatar miles earning etc.

AA miles earning on QR changed 1 May 2016 (Link):

Minimum miles guarantee applies.

Checking QR award availability:

You can check QR availability on AA's site, BA's site, QF's site, www.awardnexus.com (which pulls from BA and/or QF), or the KVS tool. (A certain number of searches are free to FlyerTalk members at AwardNexus; click the "more signup options" link under the green Purchase button to sign up as a FlyerTalk member.)

When checking QR award availability, you have to check each segment individually. Both BA and QF can generate very misleading information if you try to check QR award availability all the way through [xxx-(DOH)-yyy] in one step. Be aware AA can only book 330 days out, even if you see availability farther out.

Awards on QR may not be visible to AA agents if a multi-segment itinerary is requested; broken into individual segments will generally reveal availability, however.

As well, AA Australia or New Zealand (actually MindPearl in Fiji) can often see and book AA awards on QR US-based ones might not be able to.

From danger: For AA awards, Economy is X, Business is U, First is Z. NOTE: Those with Z (First) awards may see "Z (Business Class)" shown on the QR website; this is a known glitch.

As well, QR sells intra gulf two class service as First and Economy, as AA does domestically. This can cause some issues with a Business flight including a Gulf "First" flight potentially incurring an F award redemption.

From hotelmotel: "Got my QR PNR from AA. Popped over to QR and selected seats." (AAdvantage award.)

Days of the week: To/from the USA, especially in business class, Qatar often only offers awards seats for Mon..Thu departures, not Fri..Sun departures. So makes sure you check different parts of the week, and not just always weekends (if you're not finding anything on weekends).

NOTE: At DOH / Hamad International Airport, lounges as follows:

Qatar Airways Al Safwa First Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying First Class on Qatar or oneworld airlines and QRPC Platniums flying in ticketed Business (not oneworld Emeralds flying other lower classes of service)

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Business Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying Business Class on Qatar or oneworld (not oneworld Sapphire flying lower classes of service)

Oryx Lounge: Third party lounge.

Qatar Airways HIA First Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First Class ticketed customers, Emerald members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Qatar Airways HIA Business Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First and Business Class ticketed customers, Emerald and Sapphire members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Arrivals Lounges (not oneworld lounges): only accessible to those arriving in First or Business Class on Qatar Airways (not oneworld Sapphire flying other oneworld airlines or other classes of service)

See FT: QR Lounges at HIA

Selecting Qatar Airways Seats
If you want to assign a seat after booking an award, you should first try the Qatar website or app. If you experience issues, please try a partner site like Royal Jordanian, Malaysia Airlines, or Sri-Lankan. You can also reach out to the QR Twitter team to fix your record in order to be able to select seats on their own site.
Print Wikipost

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2020, 7:47 am
pjs

I have a ATL-DOH-NBO J award x4 via AA booked for early January safari. We plan to go if the flights are good. Our return on TK J is still scheduled and good to go. ATL is not currently scheduled for relaunching QR flights yet. If the ATL-DOH flight is not going, are we likely to get AA to rebook ATL-PHL-DOH-NBO or via another QR operating gateway or will we be stuck with using AA/BA to get to NBO (which could scuttle the whole trip based on whatever quarantine requirements are in place in January? Thx
Old Sep 23, 2020, 8:26 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Quick question - we have an upcoming award trip from MLE that connects into CMB. Our original CMB-DOH flight at 8:20PM was canceled and we were auto rebooked onto a flight leaving at 2:40AM. This means our connection in CMB ballooned from just under 3 hours to 9 hours. The entire MLE-CMB-DOH-PHL itinerary is on the same ticket with the first flight being on Sri Lankan airlines and the rest on QR.

Is this change significant enough to have the OneWorld liaison desk work with QR to see if they can put us on the evening direct MLE-DOH flight in the same cabin of service? Or should I try to contact QR directly since this change is on their part?
Old Sep 23, 2020, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Quick question - we have an upcoming award trip from MLE that connects into CMB. Our original CMB-DOH flight at 8:20PM was canceled and we were auto rebooked onto a flight leaving at 2:40AM. This means our connection in CMB ballooned from just under 3 hours to 9 hours. The entire MLE-CMB-DOH-PHL itinerary is on the same ticket with the first flight being on Sri Lankan airlines and the rest on QR.

Is this change significant enough to have the OneWorld liaison desk work with QR to see if they can put us on the evening direct MLE-DOH flight in the same cabin of service? Or should I try to contact QR directly since this change is on their part?
I would consider +6 hours to be a very significant change. Don't bother contacting QR directly if this is an AAdvantage award. The AAdvantage desk will be the one that has to go in and see what they can do.
golfingboy likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 2:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Since you are booked UL MLE-CMB and then QR onwards, I cannot see there being any chance that QR will open up availability for MLE-DOH based on a change of CMB-DOH

If you were booked on QR from MLE-DOH, then there would be a chance, but wouldn't expect it
Old Sep 23, 2020, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
I would consider +6 hours to be a very significant change. Don't bother contacting QR directly if this is an AAdvantage award. The AAdvantage desk will be the one that has to go in and see what they can do.
I've taken your new CMBDOH flight and the airport is dead at that hour. Therefore, your layover is now easily sufficient to enter Sri Lanka and go grab dinner or see some sights. It's not like Paris or Tokyo. Just grab a driver and head somewhere fun for sundowners. Ministry of Crab, perhaps?

Good luck, and enjoy the layover. We enjoyed Sri Lanka heaps more than the Maldives.

Jamie
Old Sep 23, 2020, 7:05 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by cmd320
My biggest challenge is as far as AA is concerned my trip start and end time did not change - rather instead of a long connection in DOH I now have a long connection in CMB.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Since you are booked UL MLE-CMB and then QR onwards, I cannot see there being any chance that QR will open up availability for MLE-DOH based on a change of CMB-DOH

If you were booked on QR from MLE-DOH, then there would be a chance, but wouldn't expect it
I guess my only hope is that UL cancels the MLE-CMB flight? They abruptly cancelled almost all of their October MLE flights save for a weekly Wednesday flight so wouldn't surprise me if the same happens in November. I have read of reports that AA will get the OneWorld liaison desk involved to fix this kind of issue.

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
I've taken your new CMBDOH flight and the airport is dead at that hour. Therefore, your layover is now easily sufficient to enter Sri Lanka and go grab dinner or see some sights. It's not like Paris or Tokyo. Just grab a driver and head somewhere fun for sundowners. Ministry of Crab, perhaps?

Good luck, and enjoy the layover. We enjoyed Sri Lanka heaps more than the Maldives.

Jamie
I spent a week in Sri Lanka two years ago and really enjoyed my time there. I agree with what you would do with a long CMB layover. However due to COVID-19 Sri Lanka is closed to most foreigners and we are required to remain in the sterile section of the airport. In other words, I'll have to burn 9 hours in that dump of an airport
Old Sep 23, 2020, 7:45 pm

Programs: -
Qatar cancelled my MLE-DOH and did not rebook me on the flight same day that left a few hours later.

I did not book this with AA but another partner, (asking here since this forum is more active). But let’s say AA is saying there’s no award availability for that day so nothing they can do.

Any tips on what to do? Feel like Qatar should be able to fix this but having a hard time...
Old Sep 24, 2020, 7:25 am

[QUOTE}

I spent a week in Sri Lanka two years ago and really enjoyed my time there. I agree with what you would do with a long CMB layover. However due to COVID-19 Sri Lanka is closed to most foreigners and we are required to remain in the sterile section of the airport. In other words, I'll have to burn 9 hours in that dump of an airport [/QUOTE]

Oof, that is a blow. I'd probably lose my mind. Seriously, good luck with that. And I thought killing 8 hours as a teen in CLE was bad.

I hope it all works out. At least you'll get a good sleep CMBDOH (as did we), so you'll be nice and alert for the long-haul segment. As you may know, if you do take a hardstand at DOH, there will be a separate coach for J.

Best, Jamie
Old Sep 24, 2020, 7:33 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I was able to find ATL-DOH-MLE without the layover in Sri Lanka, a few weeks ago after not seeing any awards that did not have the Sri Lanka leg.
of course it means a very long layover in DOH (will be getting a room ath the airport hotel)
the other option I found was on BA. on the return... but that of course means major surcharges..
Old Sep 26, 2020, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by golfingboy

So I have a similar flight to this. MLE-CMB-DOH-EDI. QR has delayed the CMB-DOH flight by 6hrs so I misconnect and have to spend 16hrs in DOH. No awards availability is open around those dates. What are my options?
Old Sep 26, 2020, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by onlysuites
So I have a similar flight to this. MLE-CMB-DOH-EDI. QR has delayed the CMB-DOH flight by 6hrs so I misconnect and have to spend 16hrs in DOH. No awards availability is open around those dates. What are my options?
It sounds like QR , from what you are saying, has rebooked you onto a DOH-EDI flight departing 16 hours after arrival. If so, then unless you find award availability, your options are to take it or cancel - the airline has met its obligation

If it hasn't rebooked you, then get in contact since it has an obligation to rebook you - you may need to deal with AA to contact QR rather than deal directly with QR
Old Sep 27, 2020, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It sounds like QR , from what you are saying, has rebooked you onto a DOH-EDI flight departing 16 hours after arrival. If so, then unless you find award availability, your options are to take it or cancel - the airline has met its obligation

If it hasn't rebooked you, then get in contact since it has an obligation to rebook you - you may need to deal with AA to contact QR rather than deal directly with QR
They have rebooked me 16hrs later rom DOH and 8hrs later from CMB. There is no way I can stay for that long in airports with kids. So there is no other policy in place that can assist?
Old Sep 27, 2020, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by onlysuites
They have rebooked me 16hrs later rom DOH and 8hrs later from CMB. There is no way I can stay for that long in airports with kids. So there is no other policy in place that can assist?
The airline has met its obligations, so there is nothing more that you are entitled to. AA might allow you to cancel and reinstate miles without penalty and then you might be able to purchase a ticket on another airline

Otherwise , perhaps look for another routing/flights with avalability for the journey from MLE to EDI
onlysuites likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 6:37 am
pjs

Originally Posted by pjs
I have a ATL-DOH-NBO J award x4 via AA booked for early January safari. We plan to go if the flights are good. Our return on TK J is still scheduled and good to go. ATL is not currently scheduled for relaunching QR flights yet. If the ATL-DOH flight is not going, are we likely to get AA to rebook ATL-PHL-DOH-NBO or via another QR operating gateway or will we be stuck with using AA/BA to get to NBO (which could scuttle the whole trip based on whatever quarantine requirements are in place in January? Thx
Just heard from AA that the ATL-DOH flight on 1/4 has been cancelled. They first offered me a crappy BA itinerary but I saw that MIA flights on QR are resuming so I pushed back and they offered ATL-MIA-DOH-NBO. Anyone know if the MIA flights will be QSuites? Thanks.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 8:24 am

Just noticed that ORD-DOH is now on A350-1000 for the remainder of the year till at least March 2021 (which is how far ahead I looked). Pretty sure a month ago when I looked it wasn't. Given how fickle QR can be with last minute equipment changes, is it worth calling AA to switch my DFW-DOH to ORD-DOH which shaves off 4 hours in connection time? My flight is next March. Which route will be more likely to be on 351 then? I know it's all just speculation at this point, but thought it might make for some fun conversations...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.