Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Covid-19 Update:
  • Sapphire+ status pax are temporarily allowed to use the Al Mourjan Business Lounge
  • Only tickets issued on QR 157 stock are eligible for the Extending Our Commitment (EOC) rebooking policy
link to QR Travel Alerts)

For further information on AA awards see:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion

and

AA oneworld and Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015 on)

N.B. Upgrades on QR book into fares not granted EQD/EQM by AA. If you're upgraded on QR, be prepared for pushback from some AA agents. You may have to submit a formal request with accompanying documentation reflecting you purchased an eligible fare class.

NOTE:AA has removed most EY and QR award access from aa.com due to a glitch booking these:

From One Mile at a Time (link)

Bottom Line

For the time being you’ll have to call American if you want to ticket AAdvantage awards on Etihad & Qatar that aren’t for travel to & from the US or Canada. It makes sense that American took these awards “offline,” and now it also makes sense why so many passengers have been having issues with checked bags on awards.
If you experience difficulties with the AA reservations system, you may be able to book by calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (South African agency Mindpearl) - as they can often see the inventory more reliably, and you can book.

NOTE: USA Canada travel on QR will earn EQ miles etc. in accordance with the fare class purchased.

Links:

Link to AA.com Qatar miles earning etc.

AA miles earning on QR changed 1 May 2016 (Link):

Minimum miles guarantee applies.

Checking QR award availability:

You can check QR availability on AA's site, BA's site, QF's site, www.awardnexus.com (which pulls from BA and/or QF), or the KVS tool. (A certain number of searches are free to FlyerTalk members at AwardNexus; click the "more signup options" link under the green Purchase button to sign up as a FlyerTalk member.)

When checking QR award availability, you have to check each segment individually. Both BA and QF can generate very misleading information if you try to check QR award availability all the way through [xxx-(DOH)-yyy] in one step. Be aware AA can only book 330 days out, even if you see availability farther out.

Awards on QR may not be visible to AA agents if a multi-segment itinerary is requested; broken into individual segments will generally reveal availability, however.

As well, AA Australia or New Zealand (actually MindPearl in Fiji) can often see and book AA awards on QR US-based ones might not be able to.

From danger: For AA awards, Economy is X, Business is U, First is Z. NOTE: Those with Z (First) awards may see "Z (Business Class)" shown on the QR website; this is a known glitch.

As well, QR sells intra gulf two class service as First and Economy, as AA does domestically. This can cause some issues with a Business flight including a Gulf "First" flight potentially incurring an F award redemption.

From hotelmotel: "Got my QR PNR from AA. Popped over to QR and selected seats." (AAdvantage award.)

Days of the week: To/from the USA, especially in business class, Qatar often only offers awards seats for Mon..Thu departures, not Fri..Sun departures. So makes sure you check different parts of the week, and not just always weekends (if you're not finding anything on weekends).

NOTE: At DOH / Hamad International Airport, lounges as follows:

Qatar Airways Al Safwa First Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying First Class on Qatar or oneworld airlines and QRPC Platniums flying in ticketed Business (not oneworld Emeralds flying other lower classes of service)

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Business Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying Business Class on Qatar or oneworld (not oneworld Sapphire flying lower classes of service)

Oryx Lounge: Third party lounge.

Qatar Airways HIA First Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First Class ticketed customers, Emerald members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Qatar Airways HIA Business Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First and Business Class ticketed customers, Emerald and Sapphire members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Arrivals Lounges (not oneworld lounges): only accessible to those arriving in First or Business Class on Qatar Airways (not oneworld Sapphire flying other oneworld airlines or other classes of service)

See FT: QR Lounges at HIA

Selecting Qatar Airways Seats
If you want to assign a seat after booking an award, you should first try the Qatar website or app. If you experience issues, please try a partner site like Royal Jordanian, Malaysia Airlines, or Sri-Lankan. You can also reach out to the QR Twitter team to fix your record in order to be able to select seats on their own site.
Print Wikipost

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2022, 1:25 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by anabolism
Not to hijack your question, but just commenting that, having flown QR F multiple times, I prefer Qsuite. It's more private. Though there are advantages to F, specifically the larger seat and the enormous lavatories.
The bathrooms really are huge!
The flights are pretty short, relatively speaking, that I don't think you get time to enjoy the F experience. I had a morning DOH-LHR and while the onboard pancakes and champagne were good it didn't really feel much different than being back a couple rows.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 7:13 am

Qatar available through AA again beginning 12/23/22 (post World Cup).

Restricted availability is 11/15-12/22
renila, noeatbutgo, dfw88 and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 4:10 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
I have a biz class ticket mle-doh-lax where the mle-doh leg is in coach at the moment. I have seen what should be biz award space open up for mle-doh but on the AA it a Z fare. This wouldn’t intragulf first so any idea why it is showing up as Z?
Old Jan 27, 2022, 6:03 pm

Programs: MAR Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by exmike
I have a biz class ticket mle-doh-lax where the mle-doh leg is in coach at the moment. I have seen what should be biz award space open up for mle-doh but on the AA it a Z fare. This wouldn’t intragulf first so any idea why it is showing up as Z?
It seems there has been a metal change so I can see F seats in my seat selection screen.
exmike likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
What dates for MLE-DOH?
Old Jan 27, 2022, 6:11 pm

QR First Class Booked DOH-MLE on CX Leased Aircraft
It's real first class on CX plane.
exmike and noeatbutgo like this.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 7:01 pm

Programs: MAR Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by skunker
Wondering if QR has renovated seats and interior or we should experience CX's greenish seats.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 8:26 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Originally Posted by skunker
oooh may be worth doing then... since CX may never come back
Anyone know if its a wet lease?
Old Jan 27, 2022, 8:37 pm

When it was first announced that QR was leasing CX planes, I read that it was a dry lease. Normal QR crew and service, just on CX planes.
noeatbutgo and DiamondMile like this.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 9:18 pm

QR leasing 4 class CX 77Ws
Old Feb 2, 2022, 1:03 pm
formerly willbbiddy

Originally Posted by dwhelan5

Is this just via you searching the award calendar? I'm going to the world cup and REALLY want to fly Qatar in and out of the country for the arrivals/immigration on the way in and the lounge on the way out. Any chance we see availability?
Old Feb 2, 2022, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by dwhelan5

How are you seeing this availability? I'm searching days right after Christmas and I'm not seeing anything that doesn't involve the AA flight from JFK to DOH until the 28th or 29th. What am I missing?
Old Feb 2, 2022, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by BirdLawyer
I'm going to the world cup and REALLY want to fly Qatar in and out of the country for the arrivals/immigration on the way in and the lounge on the way out. Any chance we see availability?
Since the World Cup is a fairly major event that's expected to generate higher than usual demand, it would be reasonable for QR to only release award space during World Cup dates a few days in advance. This might be a case where it might make sense to purchase a ticket on QR, or find any available award space on another airline (especially since, if QR does open up space at the last minute, you could switch without AA charging a fee).
Old Feb 3, 2022, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by dfw88
How are you seeing this availability? I'm searching days right after Christmas and I'm not seeing anything that doesn't involve the AA flight from JFK to DOH until the 28th or 29th. What am I missing?
Same here. Also still not seeing any DOH-USA at all through the rest of January.

Edit: Actually, Y is available starting on 22nd, just not J.

Last edited by flayum; Feb 3, 2022 at 10:49 am
Old Feb 3, 2022, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by anabolism
It would be reasonable for QR to only release award space during World Cup dates a few days in advance. This might be a case where it might make sense to purchase a ticket on QR, or find any available
What is the likelihood of this? I'm deciding to either: (1) reschedule my trip until January when QR reopens space or (2) keep things in place, book AA Biz (yuck) to DOH, and then pray QR opens up something last minute.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.