Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Covid-19 Update:
  • Sapphire+ status pax are temporarily allowed to use the Al Mourjan Business Lounge
  • Only tickets issued on QR 157 stock are eligible for the Extending Our Commitment (EOC) rebooking policy
link to QR Travel Alerts)

For further information on AA awards see:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion

and

AA oneworld and Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015 on)

N.B. Upgrades on QR book into fares not granted EQD/EQM by AA. If you're upgraded on QR, be prepared for pushback from some AA agents. You may have to submit a formal request with accompanying documentation reflecting you purchased an eligible fare class.

NOTE:AA has removed most EY and QR award access from aa.com due to a glitch booking these:

From One Mile at a Time (link)

Bottom Line

For the time being you’ll have to call American if you want to ticket AAdvantage awards on Etihad & Qatar that aren’t for travel to & from the US or Canada. It makes sense that American took these awards “offline,” and now it also makes sense why so many passengers have been having issues with checked bags on awards.
If you experience difficulties with the AA reservations system, you may be able to book by calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (South African agency Mindpearl) - as they can often see the inventory more reliably, and you can book.

NOTE: USA Canada travel on QR will earn EQ miles etc. in accordance with the fare class purchased.

Links:

Link to AA.com Qatar miles earning etc.

AA miles earning on QR changed 1 May 2016 (Link):

Minimum miles guarantee applies.

Checking QR award availability:

You can check QR availability on AA's site, BA's site, QF's site, www.awardnexus.com (which pulls from BA and/or QF), or the KVS tool. (A certain number of searches are free to FlyerTalk members at AwardNexus; click the "more signup options" link under the green Purchase button to sign up as a FlyerTalk member.)

When checking QR award availability, you have to check each segment individually. Both BA and QF can generate very misleading information if you try to check QR award availability all the way through [xxx-(DOH)-yyy] in one step. Be aware AA can only book 330 days out, even if you see availability farther out.

Awards on QR may not be visible to AA agents if a multi-segment itinerary is requested; broken into individual segments will generally reveal availability, however.

As well, AA Australia or New Zealand (actually MindPearl in Fiji) can often see and book AA awards on QR US-based ones might not be able to.

From danger: For AA awards, Economy is X, Business is U, First is Z. NOTE: Those with Z (First) awards may see "Z (Business Class)" shown on the QR website; this is a known glitch.

As well, QR sells intra gulf two class service as First and Economy, as AA does domestically. This can cause some issues with a Business flight including a Gulf "First" flight potentially incurring an F award redemption.

From hotelmotel: "Got my QR PNR from AA. Popped over to QR and selected seats." (AAdvantage award.)

Days of the week: To/from the USA, especially in business class, Qatar often only offers awards seats for Mon..Thu departures, not Fri..Sun departures. So makes sure you check different parts of the week, and not just always weekends (if you're not finding anything on weekends).

NOTE: At DOH / Hamad International Airport, lounges as follows:

Qatar Airways Al Safwa First Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying First Class on Qatar or oneworld airlines and QRPC Platniums flying in ticketed Business (not oneworld Emeralds flying other lower classes of service)

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Business Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying Business Class on Qatar or oneworld (not oneworld Sapphire flying lower classes of service)

Oryx Lounge: Third party lounge.

Qatar Airways HIA First Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First Class ticketed customers, Emerald members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Qatar Airways HIA Business Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First and Business Class ticketed customers, Emerald and Sapphire members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Arrivals Lounges (not oneworld lounges): only accessible to those arriving in First or Business Class on Qatar Airways (not oneworld Sapphire flying other oneworld airlines or other classes of service)

See FT: QR Lounges at HIA

Selecting Qatar Airways Seats
If you want to assign a seat after booking an award, you should first try the Qatar website or app. If you experience issues, please try a partner site like Royal Jordanian, Malaysia Airlines, or Sri-Lankan. You can also reach out to the QR Twitter team to fix your record in order to be able to select seats on their own site.
Print Wikipost

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2021, 3:09 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Chatted with AA, seemed to be a senior agent.

Said they ticket numbers apply to the whole itinerary and they won’t reissue or revalidate. I’m still worried….

Any advice?
Old Dec 18, 2021, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed

Said they ticket numbers apply to the whole itinerary and they won’t reissue or revalidate. I’m still worried….

Any advice?
that is BS, I’ve changed legs from itineraries booked in the past with miles towards QR with no problem.

call again and don’t let some lazy person try to skip from doing their job
KL808 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 7:10 pm

Question Qatar: 2 separate tickets, "connecting" flight -- check thru bags?

Hi friends. I know this has been asked previously but I can't find an answer, plus am unsure if old answers reflect what's happening today.

All of the below is for reward tickets booked on Qatar using AA miles.

* We are booked from the US ==> DOH on ticket #1.
* After an awful 12+ hr layover, we are booked DOH ==> MLE on ticket #2. (I'm obsessively watching award avail to shorten this layover.)

Any ideas on:

* will Qatar check our bags through, if we show them both tickets at checkin in the US?
* will we able to transit via DOH w/ out having to 'enter' Qatar -- immigration, passport control, etc. ?

Thanks in advance for your wisdom!
Old Dec 20, 2021, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by m0hamed

Any advice?
Just explain that QR doesn't see the ticket numbers, so the itinerary is at risk of being cancelled. Revalidating is useless since nothing changed and revalidating doesn't resend the old ticket number nor send a new ticket number to Amadeus. Suggest the agent have the tickets reissued or use whatever QIK command causes a Sabre SSR message to be sent to QR to update the ticket numbers (in native Sabre I think it's "TKNM"). Mention to the agent that they can call QR to verify the problem if they don't believe you.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by sanjeev.banerji
Hi friends. I know this has been asked previously but I can't find an answer, plus am unsure if old answers reflect what's happening today.

* After an awful 12+ hr layover, we are booked DOH ==> MLE on ticket #2. (I'm obsessively watching award avail to shorten this layover.)

Any ideas on:

* will Qatar check our bags through, if we show them both tickets at checkin in the US?
* will we able to transit via DOH w/ out having to 'enter' Qatar -- immigration, passport control, etc. ?

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

The fact that AA has issued the tickets really has nothing to do with either of your questions. QR gets to decide whether it will through-check bags on separate tickets. Someone on this forum might know the answer to your transit question, but most likely people on the FT QR forum can answer both. I'll alert a moderator and suggest that this thread be moved there.

By the way, did you attempt to book both segments as a single award with your AAdvantage miles?
Old Dec 20, 2021, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

sanjeev.banerji Welcome to FT

Any ideas on:

Dedicated thread in QR forum--->QR Interlining (Baggage) [This thread likely to get merged into that]
From the wiki link in that thread--->https://www.qatarairways.com/en/abou.../oneworld.html
Through check-in
Qatar Airways is pleased to offer passengers the courtesy of through check-in of themselves and their bags to their final destination when travelling on multi-sector journeys involving connections onto other oneworld member airlines, even when the trip is booked using separate tickets.

However, customers should note that through check-in may not be possible on their return journey if their trip starts with another airline that does not provide the same level of service.
You need to check the Qatar requirements for transferring (people) on separate tickets in DOH. All in 1 ticket would be better, but awards make that harder

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Dec 20, 2021 at 8:06 pm
Old Dec 20, 2021, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
sanjeev.banerji Welcome to FT

Dedicated thread in QR forum--->QR Interlining (Baggage)
This thread likely to get merged into that
Except that the OP is asking about a QR=>QR situation.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

The fact that AA has issued the tickets really has nothing to do with either of your questions. QR gets to decide whether it will through-check bags on separate tickets. Someone on this forum might know the answer to your transit question, but most likely people on the FT QR forum can answer both. I'll alert a moderator and suggest that this thread be moved there.

By the way, did you attempt to book both segments as a single award with your AAdvantage miles?
I did and when I was unable after looking repeatedly, I opted to book them separately, so that I could at a minimum have biz class for the US ==> DOH leg. The second leg is in coach.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976
Except that the OP is asking about a QR=>QR situation.
If QR interline QR--->other OW airlines would expect them to interline QR--->QR. A lot of posts in the linked thread as reference.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 9:38 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
I agree with the others. Had this happen a couple years back and it took the QR gate agent at MIA 30 minutes on the phone to get it resolved, which delayed departure. Get it fixed now.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
I never check bags, so I can't say if QR will through-check your bags across separate records, but considering that it's all QR flights, I'd be hopeful that they would. Assuming they do, then yes, you can transit in DOH without clearing anything other than transit security. If they don't, then you will be forced to enter Qatar in order to access groundside. Entering Qatar has a number of requirements and steps due to COVID.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 5:45 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by skunker
I agree with the others. Had this happen a couple years back and it took the QR gate agent at MIA 30 minutes on the phone to get it resolved, which delayed departure. Get it fixed now.
Called back again. Agent escalated and came back after 26 minutes and said “the reason QR may not see the ticket number or because we didn’t give them control, but that’s now been fixed.”

I have no idea what that means, but I’ll call QR tomorrow to confirm. The only time I’ve ever heard of control is when tickets become under airport control prior to departure but this is vastly different.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 5:56 am

It looks like Qatar airways routing through Doha isn’t being listed after 11/14/22. AA’s flights from JFK to Doha start 11/15/22, and that’s the inly
available option. Is this the end?
Old Dec 22, 2021, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by dwhelan5
It looks like Qatar airways routing through Doha isn’t being listed after 11/14/22. AA’s flights from JFK to Doha start 11/15/22, and that’s the inly
available option. Is this the end?
The end of what? I see both QR and AA flights JFK-DOH loaded through the end of the schedule.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
The end of what? I see both QR and AA flights JFK-DOH loaded through the end of the schedule.
When booking with Miles on AA, the flights to/from Doha from the US stop on 11/14. After 11/14 only AA metal flights are available to book with miles. The schedule goes through the 18th.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.