Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Change FFN / frequent flyer number on AA booking? (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 5, 2017, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Changing a Frequent Flyer Number on AA Bookings
You may find the Frequent Flyer Number area grayed out, or be unable to change FFN online via aa.com. Alternatives:

Call AA reservations at 800-433-7300.

Tweet @AmericanAir and ask the Twitter team to do it - though the best way is to have them follow you first and then send them a DM to keep your information private.

Request the FFN change at the check-in counter or, if you arrive before they get very busy, the gate.

Using the Finnair or Royal Jordanian website to change your FFN seems to no longer work. (AA use Sabre, several other one world airlines use Amadeus.)

NOTE: If switching from AAdvantage to another scheme's FFN, please be aware: Benefitting from a privilege granted for your AAdvantage status and changing your FFN to earn on another airline is generally prohibited by AAdvantage Terms and Conditions. Doing so might risk that benefit (e.g. upgrade).

From the AAdvantage Terms and Conditions (link)

Earning AAdvantage Miles

"You cannot accrue partner airline miles with your partner frequent flyer number if you have already used your AAdvantage number to obtain AAdvantage program benefits such as First or Business Class upgrades, baggage fee waivers or complimentary access to Preferred/Main Cabin Extra seats. Additionally, you cannot redeem partner airline miles with your partner frequent flyer number and obtain AAdvantage program benefits such as priority boarding and access to preferred seats."

Older and obsolete posts have been moved to ARCHIVE: Changing FFN / Frequent Flyer Number on AA Bookings

Updated 5 Jul 2017 by JDiver
Print Wikipost

Change FFN / frequent flyer number on AA booking? (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2019, 5:10 pm

Finnair site, or call AA.

Just remember you need BA flights for status. 2 for Bronze, or 4 for Silver and higher. These can be BA metal with BA flight numbers, BA metal with a OneWorld code share flight number, or OneWorld metal with a BA codeshare.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 5:42 pm

Programs: United 1MM 1K, KLM/AF Plat, BA Gold, Marriott Plat
Wow. I can call up a AA reservation on the Finnair website and modify the FF number? Would the AA PNR be the same for Finnair? Normally fly Star so One World is quite new to me.

Thanks thunderlounge since I live in Europe doing 4 BA segments shouldn't be an issue. On my AA ticket two of the segments are by BA on the return to Europe.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 5:59 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Just call AA. There is no way to do it on AA’s website, but it is a piece of cake to do it over the phone. I have done the same thing dozens of times.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I run into this when I book AA domestic award tickets and want to switch to my BA# for lounge access as a Silver. I usually just do it when I get to the airport at the ticket counter.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA-EP, A3*G, UA*S
Can also be done very quickly over Messenger or a DM on Twitter.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 2:01 am

Programs: United 1MM 1K, KLM/AF Plat, BA Gold, Marriott Plat
Thank you all. Very helpful.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by mgm
Currently, you can change your FF# via the JAL website Manage Booking page. I did this recently to change my AA# to my QF#.
For any AA flight? Or just AA flights booked via JAL?
Old Apr 15, 2019, 7:04 pm
mgm

That was quite a while ago for a JL flight. Not sure it is possible to do it now.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:55 am

So the Finnair option to update my BA # to AA # still works. And it worked immediately. Upon changing, I logged into my AA account and saw all my Avios award reservations showing up with my AA # listed (no mention of BA anywhere).
Old May 11, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: BA Silver
I am left slightly incredulous by the conversation's i've just had with the Twitter team this morning. I requested to change the FQTV number on my wife's MilesAAver redemption in Y (on AA metal) to her BA account where she has Ruby status (primarily to get access to better seats). I was informed that they were unable to remove her AA FQTV number as it needed to remain on the record. I was sent the T&Cs but nowhere did I see this requirement mentioned. I recall making such switches in exactly the same situation many times in the past, is that some sort of new rule or is it a case of needing to call in?
Old May 11, 2019, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mzb00
I am left slightly incredulous by the conversation's i've just had with the Twitter team this morning. I requested to change the FQTV number on my wife's MilesAAver redemption in Y (on AA metal) to her BA account where she has Ruby status (primarily to get access to better seats). I was informed that they were unable to remove her AA FQTV number as it needed to remain on the record. I was sent the T&Cs but nowhere did I see this requirement mentioned. I recall making such switches in exactly the same situation many times in the past, is that some sort of new rule or is it a case of needing to call in?
Been dicussed before. Airlines are taking an increasingly dim view of frequent flyers changing ffn's to cherry pick benefits

From the wiki
<snip>
NOTE: If switching from AAdvantage to another scheme's FFN, please be aware: Benefitting from a privilege granted for your AAdvantage status and changing your FFN to earn on another airline is generally prohibited by AAdvantage Terms and Conditions. Doing so might risk that benefit (e.g. upgrade).

From the AAdvantage Terms and Conditions (link)

Earning AAdvantage Miles
"You cannot accrue partner airline miles with your partner frequent flyer number if you have already used your AAdvantage number to obtain AAdvantage program benefits such as First or Business Class upgrades, baggage fee waivers or complimentary access to Preferred/Main Cabin Extra seats. Additionally, you cannot redeem partner airline miles with your partner frequent flyer number and obtain AAdvantage program benefits such as priority boarding and access to preferred seats."
Old May 12, 2019, 4:12 am

Thanks for the answer, I read through some of the thread and most of it was focused on redemptions on AA metal using other frequent flyer programme currencies, and looking to add an AA elite FQTV number. My situation is slightly different, and I can't really see much in the T&Cs you quoted that directly addresses it.
I'll try to call AA later today to see if I get a different answer.

Last edited by mzb00; May 13, 2019 at 5:55 am
Old May 13, 2019, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by mzb00
Thanks for the answer, I read through some of the thread and most of it was focused on redemptions on AA metal using other frequent flyer programme currencies, and looking to add an AA elite FQTV number. My situation is slightly different, and I can't really see much in the T&Cs you quoted that directly addresses it.
I'll try to call AA later today to see if I get a difference answer.
Called AA on their UK AAdvantage line and the agent changed my wife's number to her BA number without any question. Maybe the Twitter team got confused?
Old May 22, 2019, 12:41 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WOH - Globalist, HHonors - Gold, Marriott - Gold
A datapoint - asked the Twitter team to change the FFN on an Avios (BA) booked flight, received the following in response: "When using awards from another airline, you're unable to use your AAdvantage number in the reservation."
Old Nov 25, 2019, 2:04 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Bumping an old thread. My request to add my AA number to a BA Avios booking was refused today. Via Twitter DM.

Looks like they're finally enforcing policy.

Last edited by TravelerMSY; Nov 25, 2019 at 2:31 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.