Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

International (Panasonic satellite) WiFi: availability, experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2014, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
International satellite-based Wi-Fi is available on the Boeing 777-200ER, 777-300ER and 787 Dreamliners

International WiFi is Panasonic Ku band satellite based (and is blocked in Chinese air space). Note, the latest batch of 787-8s have Viasat high speed satellite wifi

Link to WiFi page on AA.com.

Originally Posted by arollins
From AA.com upper right corner there is a search box, enter WIFI, scroll through the info, and you get the following.

For international and select domestic flights, contact the service provider
Panasonic
Call 1-866-924-3715 (toll-free)
Email [email protected]

For Panasonic equipped aircraft:
The Wi-Fi access page will display service provided by Panasonic
Your credit card statement charges will appear as PAC WIFI
International Wi-Fi is currently only available for purchase once onboard the aircraft at the following prices:

. . . . . . . . 2 Hour Pass $12
. . . . . . .. .4 Hour Pass $17
. . . . . . . . Duration of Flight Pass $19

Which aircraft are equipped with international Panasonic WiFi?

Boeing 737 MAX 8 (all, "out of the box; 737-800s will be covered as they are retrofitted to 172 seat capacity)
Boeing 777-300ER (all, "out of the box")
Boeing 777-200ER (added during refurbishment, all flying have it)
Boeing 787-8 (first batch only)
Boeing 787-9 all, ("out of the box")

Adding
134 Airbus A320 family (319, -20 and -21) according to member tdedj1
Print Wikipost

International (Panasonic satellite) WiFi: availability, experiences

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2013, 11:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Not sure how the new international system works, but with the GoGo domestic wifi you just turn on your iPad (or other device) and go to your normal icon to locate a wifi signal. You click on the service and it takes you to a regular Safari window that fills with the home page. From there you can log in by paying with cc or an existing account. Very simple.
The international inflight works (basically) the same.
Old May 1, 2013, 11:16 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DillMan
The international inflight works (basically) the same.
In other words it based on time and not usage.
Old May 1, 2013, 2:36 pm

Thanks. Even I should be able to handle that! Looking forward to trying AAs new business class product.
Old May 1, 2013, 5:30 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, AA Plat/2MM, SPG Plat/LT Gold
On AA100 now, wifi is free. According to the folks in the JFK AC who are doing the 77w promotion, it will be free on the 77w for the rest of the month.

The 77w promo is a fully stocked walk up bar along with touch screen demos of the plane.
Old May 1, 2013, 8:27 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Merged with our existing discussion about AA's international wifi. /Moderator
Old May 2, 2013, 5:58 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Had it free on AA 50 on 4/28. Avg speed, but got the job done. This new aircraft and product are wondeful.
Old May 4, 2013, 12:52 pm

Programs: Qatar Platinum, Etihad Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Free for Business/First?

I was wondering if the fee will be applicable to all classes of just economy. It doesn't make sense to me to be demanding $19 from a First class passenger or Business.

I'm flying Business on AA50 on 10 May so I will see what happens.
Old May 4, 2013, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by chanp
Had it free on AA 50 on 4/28. Avg speed, but got the job done. This new aircraft and product are wondeful.
+1
Old May 6, 2013, 12:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, PriorityClub Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold fivestar
Originally Posted by mvoight
I hope nobody uses it for voice communications.
Streaming video is probably not a good idea due to the bandwidth.
My issues with voice isn't the bandwidth but having to put up with annoying conversations. A point of reference is how loudly a lot of people talk into their phones when airplane noise is not a factor.
When I used the service in March I was able to get a little over 2Mbps download with about a 1s ping. That speed was great for downloading movies from iTunes, for text based chatting and for email. I expect gaming, remote desktop or VNC based activities would be pretty poor.
Old May 9, 2013, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by miles4CDG
On AA100 now, wifi is free. According to the folks in the JFK AC who are doing the 77w promotion, it will be free on the 77w for the rest of the month.

The 77w promo is a fully stocked walk up bar along with touch screen demos of the plane.
AA.com confirms free until May 21

Last edited by tylerdurden4543; May 9, 2013 at 8:50 pm
Old May 10, 2013, 12:22 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum
On AA50 on Wednesday, the welcome screen showed the pricing structure, and after choosing one of the options it said the service was free.
Much faster than Gogo, and didn't drop at all through the flight. One thing I noticed, my miles for the flight posted when we were still flying over the Atlantic
Old Aug 12, 2013, 3:13 pm

I'm going to be flying an AA50 soon...

Is the $19 pricing for the entire flight limited to one device? Or is it more like Gogo where you can switch devices, and the service is tied to some sort of account you can log in to?
Old Aug 12, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Pedro M
On AA50 on Wednesday, the welcome screen showed the pricing structure, and after choosing one of the options it said the service was free.
Much faster than Gogo, and didn't drop at all through the flight. One thing I noticed, my miles for the flight posted when we were still flying over the Atlantic
I would rather wait until I got to London to use the Internet and just sleep, but that's me.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 12:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Anyone had decent function out of the 77W international WiFi?

On a flight now. It is dismal. I can post here and hit some other web sites but that is about it. I've tried tree different email servers and some messaging and nothing. Can't get a useful connection. I actually bought the thing to try to get some work done, especially catching up on email and some other things at work. I guess not.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Wirelessly posted (Apple iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B350 Safari/8536.25)

Yes, it worked for me (but I tried it only for AA.com since I'm too cheap to pay for it). It was slower than domestic Gogo but faster than 3G. YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.