Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

International (Panasonic satellite) WiFi: availability, experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2014, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
International satellite-based Wi-Fi is available on the Boeing 777-200ER, 777-300ER and 787 Dreamliners

International WiFi is Panasonic Ku band satellite based (and is blocked in Chinese air space). Note, the latest batch of 787-8s have Viasat high speed satellite wifi

Link to WiFi page on AA.com.

Originally Posted by arollins
From AA.com upper right corner there is a search box, enter WIFI, scroll through the info, and you get the following.

For international and select domestic flights, contact the service provider
Panasonic
Call 1-866-924-3715 (toll-free)
Email [email protected]

For Panasonic equipped aircraft:
The Wi-Fi access page will display “service provided by Panasonic”
Your credit card statement charges will appear as ”PAC WIFI”
International Wi-Fi is currently only available for purchase once onboard the aircraft at the following prices:

. . . . . . . . 2 Hour Pass – $12
. . . . . . .. .4 Hour Pass – $17
. . . . . . . . Duration of Flight Pass – $19

Which aircraft are equipped with international Panasonic WiFi?

Boeing 737 MAX 8 (all, "out of the box”; 737-800s will be covered as they are retrofitted to 172 seat capacity)
Boeing 777-300ER (all, "out of the box")
Boeing 777-200ER (added during refurbishment, all flying have it)
Boeing 787-8 (first batch only)
Boeing 787-9 all, ("out of the box")

Adding
134 Airbus A320 family (319, -20 and -21) according to member tdedj1
Print Wikipost

International (Panasonic satellite) WiFi: availability, experiences

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2013, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
you guys are whining about the downloading of tv shows, I have a bigger beef with the ability to skype
video skype?
Old Apr 1, 2013, 2:18 pm

Programs: FT
nice but if people complain about kids in J, i wonder what they will do about loud talkers on skype in J?? or for that matter in any class.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by bmchris
I hope that was in the forward ones. Much more spacious compared to the rear cabin ones. They almost seem like an afterthought in comparison. I can't even recall if the rear ones had the nifty sensor faucet controls.
I was in 6J, fortunately a very short walk/run to the handicapped lav, which is quite large and well appointed.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
you guys are whining about the downloading of tv shows, I have a bigger beef with the ability to skype
I did run up Skype, but only to send/receive a few IMs, not to talk. I too wouldn't like it if lots of fellow pax were chatting away loudly on Skype.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by carlosdca
No wonder!!!!
Perhaps 2, 4, 10 other pax (or perhaps the whole plane) decided to DOWNLOAD a TV show and congest the bandwidth...therefore...it went down...

And then when they install filters, blockers, etc to avoid people doing this...which would probably affect functionality of certain sites....then we will complain again.

I'm an IT engineer, so I'm rather interested in technical details like connection speed and latency, and I thought FTers might also be interested. Frankly, your suggestion that passengers using up the available bandwidth would bring down the connection is foolish. What is the bandwidth for??
It's not an easy feat to maintain a high bandwidth satellite connection from a fast moving aircraft, regardless of the data traffic. So I'm not surprised that Panasonic is having a few glitches.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by billgrates3
So I'm not surprised that Panasonic is having a few glitches.
They should have gone with FIOS.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 11:40 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold

I'm an IT engineer, so I'm rather interested in technical details like connection speed and latency, and I thought FTers might also be interested. Frankly, your suggestion that passengers using up the available bandwidth would bring down the connection is foolish. What is the bandwidth for??
It's not an easy feat to maintain a high bandwidth satellite connection from a fast moving aircraft, regardless of the data traffic. So I'm not surprised that Panasonic is having a few glitches.
Since you are an IT engineer, illustrate me.

Passengers using up the bandwith does not bring down the connection. Ok.

But then what is the effect of multiple passengers, maybe even a good 50 or 60 passengers, using the WIFI to download video, stream Video or any other activity that requires a lot of data transfer? Would it impact the speed of the connection to the point of making it almost useless for anybody?

Thank you,
Old Apr 2, 2013, 8:42 am

But then what is the effect of multiple passengers, maybe even a good 50 or 60 passengers, using the WIFI to download video, stream Video or any other activity that requires a lot of data transfer? Would it impact the speed of the connection to the point of making it almost useless for anybody?
Not if they accounted for that usage. Which they would likely do in designing the system.

Do you not use your home connection in case it makes the entire network slower? No. You count on the provider to have factored that in, and make upgrades to the network bandwidth as required.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 9:28 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Not if they accounted for that usage. Which they would likely do in designing the system.

Do you not use your home connection in case it makes the entire network slower? No. You count on the provider to have factored that in, and make upgrades to the network bandwidth as required.
But is the the system on the 77Ws designed to allow pax to stream or download videos?

I know that on domestic flights on aa, GOGO does not allow downloads or streaming of any kind; netflix, hulu, etc are blocked, for example.

I would think that, if anything, on international routes the service would be even more restricted.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 9:48 am

I would think that, if anything, on international routes the service would be even more restricted.
That's certainly logical. I don't know. But as you mentioned, there are likely and potentially restrictions in place to block or manage individual bandwidth.

The individual should only need be concerned with their own bandwidth accessibility, rather than that of the entire plane or network. That should be built into the system by the provider. And they have likely in place a way to ensure that no single pax takes up the entire plane's bandwidth.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Worse, after the meal I came down with severe food poisoning and spent probably half of the remaining 5 hours in the lav. On landing I had to be helped off the plane by wheelchair, airport staff called 911 and the local ambulance took me to the nearby Baylor Medical Center. They treated me very nicely there, and an IV drip + anti-biotics eventually did the trick. I stayed overnight nearby, and AA put me on the 11:30am flight home to SFO in F.... feeling much better today.
Very sorry to hear that! Glad you are feeling much better now.

What had you eaten before the flight?

I think many of us are interested in these details.

The idea that bandwidth hogs can bring down a connection is not as foolish as one might think. For one thing, I've encountered way more badly broken implementations of what should be fairly easy services. I can't count how many public APs crash if too many people associate, or after they've run for a while. It'd be easy for me to imagine an implementation on an airplane that crashed when pushed. For another, congestion collapse of a link with a bandwidth or latency difference, due to large buffers that defeat TCP windows, a phenomenon called "Buffer Bloat," is pretty common. Increased use of UDP-based protocols that do not have congestion control is also a factor in congestion collapse.

They should have gone with FIOS.
That would be a long cable! (Although thinking about FiOS installation on a 787 brings to mind '70s tales of a DC-10 stuffed with Ford Pintos crashing into Three Mile island. For those who don't get the references, FiOS installations had an unfortunate series of accidentally setting the residence on fire, while 787s have suffered two battery-related fires; in the '70s there were a series of disasters around the same time involving Ford Pintos whose badly-designed gas tank burst into flames in an accident, a DC-10 whose engines came off in flights, and a melt-down at the Three Mile Island nuclear generator.)
Old May 1, 2013, 8:58 am

wifi pricing on AA international flights

anyone know the plans for this? Just rode Finn Air (one world). 30mb for 40 usd. plus excess per kb. costs finally at 50usd for very skinny use for email.
Helsinki-JFK. seems a total rip. wondering if AA going this route. thanks
Old May 1, 2013, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
A search on 'international, wifi' restricted to titles yields this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

The top entry lists pricing effective thru May 1.
Old May 1, 2013, 10:01 am

I'm booked to fly one of the 700-300ERs later this month JFK/LHR/JFK and note they do have the Wi-Fi. I've never used this on a plane before. Will be travelling with my IPad. Is it similar to a hotel Wi-Fi where you'll get a page and then enter your info - and onboard - credit card info? Am technically challenged and just wondering what to expect. Would appreciate some guidance from those of you much more in the know than me.
Thanks in advance!
Old May 1, 2013, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Not sure how the new international system works, but with the GoGo domestic wifi you just turn on your iPad (or other device) and go to your normal icon to locate a wifi signal. You click on the service and it takes you to a regular Safari window that fills with the home page. From there you can log in by paying with cc or an existing account. Very simple.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.