FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   FJ / Fiji Airways (ex-Air Pacific) and AA, miles, awards, etc. (consolidated) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1436326-fj-fiji-airways-ex-air-pacific-aa-miles-awards-etc-consolidated.html)

JDiver Aug 10, 2017 9:14 am

Originally Posted by rowsign (Post 28670632)
Thank you both very much. Re: "e-ticket receipt" - it was an UR rewards ticket without much info to be clear. I fly internationally in J or F 5-10 times a year; however, not usually on AA and never on Fiji. It was my lack of status, lack of CC luggage waiver, basically lack of anything that had me confused. As usual, I will just pack up my stuff and if I have to fork over some $'s, so be it:-)

American (The "first marketing carrier") seems a bit stingy on the luggage in highest class offered. I rarely carry more than a carry-on unless I have a kite/surf adventure planned, but if I wasn't going to Fiji I would avoid these guys.

Edit: I reviewed their baggage policy and it looks like trans-pacific is two #70 bags in business or first? I really do appreciate your patience on this and hopefully someone else can read this and avoid the drama:-)!

Yes, on one PNR you have two 70 lb / 32 kg checked bags on this trip, as set by AA (more weight, one less bag than if you flew by FJ Rules). Be aware it wouldn't be unusual to have to argue for 2 x 32 kg at NAN - it has happened to me, as I've traveled a number of times to dive in Fiji and take my own dive gear.

You'll have Lounge access in the lounge FJ uses in LAX, and the Tabua lounge at NAN.

BTW, on the return I usually check in early, taxi to "Chef's the Restaurant" restaurant in Nadi town and treat myself to a very nice meal (and service) before taxiing back - and go to sleep on the airplane. Chef's has excellent food, Air Fiji not so much. Take ear plugs - FJ staff don't walk through the cabin to see if you're buckled in if there's a touch of turbulence, they announce over the P.A. :mad:

And if you're wanting to shop for a souvenir, try Jack's in Nadi town (Chef's and The Edge / Café another but lesser restaurant, both owned by Jack's, are around the corner). The Corner at Jack's mall is definitely okay for breakfast or lunch, but unless it has changed drastically Chef's is surprisingly top notch. The last couple of times 4 or 6 have dined prior to flying, they've sung "Issa Lei" (Fijian farewell song) to us and lined up at the door with chocolates to say farewell.

Nadi Bay Resort Hotel's Restaurant Antoinette's gets good ratings, between Nadi Town and Port Denarau. And given half the population is Indo-Fijian, there's good Indian food to be had.

Fiji tourism website has some information, but retrieving that information can be frustrating. Link.

Key words for Fiji:

Bula! (m-BOO-lah): Hello, health. General greeting, toast, sneee, etc.

Vinaka (vee-KNOCK-ah): thank you

rowsign Aug 12, 2017 4:31 pm

JDiver:

Very helpful, Thanks for the info!

RS

Head Dec 5, 2017 6:34 pm

AA award - Best route to NAN

The CFO and I have a 15 year anniversary coming up next year. She has expressed interest in visiting Fiji. This is significant because she is usually happy with Hilton Head or taking the RV to Myrtle Beach. I want to act on it.

While I travel quite a bit.... I have only redeemed airline miles 3 times. Once when I used expiring UA miles to take her to Hawaii sitting up front, once when I used some DL miles to take her to Costa Rica up front, and once to fly a friend and I to an event. She has only flown on two trips. All up front. I'd like to continue the trend and get her to NAN up front using AA miles.

I search on AA and it comes up empty. I see Fiji Airways as a partner on the AA site, but nothing comes up.

I'd appreciate any help on routings to NAN from CLT, GSO, RDU airports using miles and hopefully flying up front. If I am searching for a Unicorn, then please let me know and I will continue working on her for Phu Quoc.

Looking for August or October of 2018.

JDiver Dec 5, 2017 6:49 pm

Bula! (The usual Fijian greeting, meaning “health!” and also used when someone sneezes.)

FJ flies to Nadi from SFO and LAX, so there’s where you want to go to catch the nonstop A330-200 or -300.

You must call AA, because .com won’t show or book FJ for you.

But... AA often can’t see award seats on FJ! What to do? Call AA Australia or New Zealand, which are actually operated by Mindpearl in Suva, Fiji. They seem to use Amadeus and can find and book FJ award seats for you.

See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...solidated.html

See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ssistance.html, particularly the Wikipost at the top of the page, for important information on Booking AA MileSAAver awards as well.

There’s lots to do and see in Fiji, and if you’re a diver there’s splendid diving (including what is possibly the world’s best liveaboard dive boat, NAI’A.

Head Dec 5, 2017 9:04 pm

Thanks JDiver. I normally do the search, but was pretty quick with the trigger when she expressed interest and didn't do it this time. You have given me some good reading!

Head Dec 7, 2017 6:06 am

After a couple of painful hours of searching last night, I've decided that I am going to work with one of the award booking services mentioned on the FT Travel Tools forum.

Revoke my FT'er card - I give up! I can't imagine what a non frequent flyer who has accumulated some miles goes through to redeem them!

millionmiler Dec 7, 2017 8:07 am

Originally Posted by Head (Post 29145046)
After a couple of painful hours of searching last night, I've decided that I am going to work with one of the award booking services mentioned on the FT Travel Tools forum.

Revoke my FT'er card - I give up! I can't imagine what a non frequent flyer who has accumulated some miles goes through to redeem them!

All I can say about that is that the situation used to be different. Now AA miles are hard enough to use on many popular options that they verge on useless. Its a good business (in the short run) if you can get people to pay for something and then not have to deliver.

The perceived value is much greater than the actual value. There was a time when it was reversed.

JDiver Dec 7, 2017 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Head (Post 29145046)

Revoke my FT'er card - I give up! I can't imagine what a non frequent flyer

who has accumulated some miles goes through to redeem them!

It’s tricky, Awards are scarcer, and it requires persistence. And calling AA, as long as you can’t bookyour Trip on the Internet, is Free. So try that first, but as I recommended call AA “Australia” or “New Zealand” (Mindpearl in Suva).

Oz +02-9101-1948, Kiwi +09-308-4014 (24 hour’s daily)

More FT time will definitely help. E.g. I’ve secured many award flights for ourselves and for others (okay with AA as long as the Travel is a gift with no strings attached, basically) including two Business seats to and from Australia, Asia to the U.K. and return, Europe to the USA, South America, etc. Even in recent times.

Head Dec 8, 2017 7:55 am

To close the case....

I got out easy afterall. She decided she wants to go to OGG. I booked in J/F and was surprised to see the 772 on the DFW/OGG leg.

Have been to HNL before but not OGG. So a little different and it appears we will have good seats.

DVDBob Dec 14, 2017 12:55 pm

For a future reference point, I had no problems seeing FJ Award availability on the Qantas website. Was able to book a SAAver award via phone with no issues.

mvoight Dec 14, 2017 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by DVDBob (Post 29174290)
For a future reference point, I had no problems seeing FJ Award availability on the Qantas website. Was able to book a SAAver award via phone with no issues.

Did you book through AA in the US?
There are no "SAAVER" awards for this, as there is no choice of using more miles to actually get seating, like "AANYTIME"

mvoight Dec 14, 2017 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Head (Post 29149478)
To close the case....

I got out easy afterall. She decided she wants to go to OGG. I booked in J/F and was surprised to see the 772 on the DFW/OGG leg.

Have been to HNL before but not OGG. So a little different and it appears we will have good seats.

Congrats :)

DVDBob Dec 14, 2017 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight (Post 29174396)
Did you book through AA in the US?
There are no "SAAVER" awards for this, as there is no choice of using more miles to actually get seating, like "AANYTIME"

I searched for a "Classic Award" on the Qantas website and found a couple options on FJ. I then called the US AA number. The agent had no trouble finding the FJ route in his system. I wouldn't say there was a ton of availability, but at least 3-4 days out of every week. Fortunately, I was able to be flexible and took a flight that's a couple days after what I was originally planning.

Kathy Owens Dec 14, 2017 1:35 pm

I work for an airlines

I work in the awards dept. When I need help with routings
I use www.oneworld.com its very helpful

PHL Dec 14, 2017 4:16 pm

I did some Qantas reward searches months out in the future and found numerous LAX/SFO - NAN options on the days they operate the flight. Good info because that's on my bucket list.