Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Complimentary drink & snack in economy for EXP & CK (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 6, 2014, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Complimentary Drink and Snack in AA Main Cabin for Executive Platinum, oneworld Emerald and Concierge Key

from post #357 by flight62, 4 Oct 2015:

Beginning October 17 (2015), Executive Platinum and Concierge Key customers (EP/KEY) traveling in the Main Cabin on former LUS metal may select any complimentary food item from the MarketPlace menu, including snack boxes and fresh food offerings on applicable flights.

The recognition benefit will then be fully aligned on both carriers to include: À la carte snacks, snack boxes, fresh meals, beer, spirits and non-premium wine.

Enhancements will be introduced to the MyFlight application on your tablet in early November which will allow you to identify customer frequent flier status. Until then, reference final paperwork per current procedures. It is important that you continue to use the “EP/KEY” complimentary reason code to record these transactions. This step ensures we provision adequate inventory to support the program.

Thank you for recognizing our most valued customers for their loyalty to American through this expanded benefit.
AAdvantage Executive Platinum and ConciergeKey® members can enjoy a complimentary* beverage and one snack flying in Main Cabin (or MCE) on American Airlines or American Eagle. Undocumented, but in the Flight Attendant manual, it seems to include all oneworld Emerald members; see below.

Internal AA documentation specifies (shown in reverse status order):

Complimentary Items

Executive Platinum or Concierge Key:
  • One comp drink
  • One comp food-for-sale item
AAirpass:
  • 2 comp drinks, which may be served to the cardholder and/or companion
  • 1 comp pair of earbuds, or 2 pairs if traveling with a companion
  • 1 comp food-for-sale item, 2 items if traveling with a companion
Language (Dec 2014) from the AA website:

Originally Posted by American Airlines

HAVE A SNACK AND DRINK ON US

Refresh and Relax

AAdvantage® Executive Platinum and ConciergeKeySM members can enjoy a complimentary* beverage from our standard alcoholic selections as well as one of our snacks, where available, when flying in the Main Cabin on board American Airlines, American Eagle®, US Airways, and US Airways Express. The snack on American includes any food item on our menu. The snack on US Airways includes any item from our à la carte menu.

Here's What You Do

At the time of your order, just present your AAdvantage Executive Platinum member card or boarding pass, or your ConciergeKey membership card. It's that simple!

What's on the Menu

We continue to revitalize our menu items to deliver an array of fresh and convenient sweet and savory snacks and meals on board our flights. This includes items* such as a chicken Caesar salad or one of our premium sandwiches – both served with chips. You can also treat yourself with hand crafted cookies, a fruit and cheese plate, or a gourmet blend of spiced nuts – which can be perfectly paired with a domestic or imported ice cold beer, a red or white wine from select California and international wineries, or an alcoholic beverage of your choice.

*Eligible customers may select any snack available on board any flight where food is available and one liquor miniature, beer or 187ml bottle of wine on a complimentary basis. Items may vary.

Post editor's emphases.

*Standard alcoholic beverage is one liquor miniature, beer or 187ml bottle of wine. Items may vary.

NOTE: an AA FA (see Post 249) says:

Originally Posted by GalleyWench
Actually OWE is listed in our policies to receive a comp ala carte snack and beverage as well as CP, ExPLT and Concierge Key. They are all listed on our manifest as OWE

To view the archived thread/discussion, please see here: ARCHIVE: Free Wine drink and/or minor snack for EXP in Mainline Y

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

Complimentary drink & snack in economy for EXP & CK (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: AA CK, SPG Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by aztimm
Are you supposed to show your boarding pass? I had never heard of that before.
In practice, you shouldn’t need to, but it has been written that way in American Way and on menu cards since the benefit was introduced, presumably now as a friendly backup in case the FA doesn’t check the handheld or something.

I said, "it should be free, check your handheld." ... Finally I convinced her to check her handheld...
If your quoted exchange is the way it happened—which I would assume it to be, since you’re quoting yourself—to me, that’s the wrong way to go about it. A simple, “I’m Executive Platinum,” or “I’m Emerald,” etc is all that is needed for them. Saying “it should be free, check your handheld” and that you finally “convinced her to check her handheld” seems like you’re not just trying to get the snack, but also trying to passive-aggressively point out that she’s made a mistake by requesting payment, and you want her to know it. (And to me, justifies her eyeroll when walking away). That’s just not necessary (and I say this as someone who has to keep myself in check in my day to day life, because it comes naturally to want someone to know they’ve made a mistake, haha). Even if that’s not how you intended it, that’s the way it comes across in the way you’ve retold it.
Old May 17, 2018, 11:56 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by thecurtisw

In practice, you shouldn’t need to, but it has been written that way in American Way and on menu cards since the benefit was introduced, presumably now as a friendly backup in case the FA doesn’t check the handheld or something.

If your quoted exchange is the way it happened—which I would assume it to be, since you’re quoting yourself—to me, that’s the wrong way to go about it. A simple, “I’m Executive Platinum,” or “I’m Emerald,” etc is all that is needed for them. Saying “it should be free, check your handheld” and that you finally “convinced her to check her handheld” seems like you’re not just trying to get the snack, but also trying to passive-aggressively point out that she’s made a mistake by requesting payment, and you want her to know it. (And to me, justifies her eyeroll when walking away). That’s just not necessary (and I say this as someone who has to keep myself in check in my day to day life, because it comes naturally to want someone to know they’ve made a mistake, haha). Even if that’s not how you intended it, that’s the way it comes across in the way you’ve retold it.
It sounds like you didn't read my post. I've only been EXP since December, and this was only the 2nd time that I wasn't upgraded. The first was a completely different experience, with the FA going up to F and bringing the snack basket back for me without me saying a word.

In this case, I was in the window seat and it seemed like the FA had trouble hearing me, I didn't want to yell out, "Executive Platinum," for all around me to hear.
If it happens again, I'll either show my boarding pass (if handy) or the AA card, or simply forgo the can of Pringles, which definitely wasn't worth the aggravation.

Perhaps an employee rolling their eyes at a customer is acceptable where you work but it definitely is not at my company, for any reason. Most employees would be disciplined for something like that. Employees regularly hear the same questions over and over, and are taught to respond courteously and with a smile.
Old May 17, 2018, 12:43 pm

Usually the FA's are very aware of the EXP/CK's on the flight when it comes to the snack. The very few times the FA has said 'here you are, that'll be $7', I simply say 'oh let me grab my boarding pass'... once they take a look, they usually smile and say 'great, we're all set'. Everyone is happy and they move on.
Old May 17, 2018, 6:45 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
Improved service to EXP's in coach lately?

Unfortunately, I fly a route that uses 319 a lot and rarely get upgraded. However, the last few flights, the FA's have been ultra attentive; addressing me by name, thanking me for being a loyal customer and asking (in a soft voice) if I would like a food choice and complementary drink. They even have been offering a second and sometimes third drink( it's a 4+ hour flight) without asking for a credit card. Also, Mrs. Remedy is offered the same when we are traveling together. Nice.
apeortdz and AANYC1981 like this.
Old May 17, 2018, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by dave_261
Usually the FA's are very aware of the EXP/CK's on the flight when it comes to the snack. The very few times the FA has said 'here you are, that'll be $7', I simply say 'oh let me grab my boarding pass'... once they take a look, they usually smile and say 'great, we're all set'. Everyone is happy and they move on.
My biggest problem is that some BPs do not designate EXP status. Sometimes I'll get a, "I need your bank card, not your boarding pass." However, I've never had a single issue once I explain I'm EXP. Usually a simple friendly reminder is sufficient.
Old May 17, 2018, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by brewdog11
My biggest problem is that some BPs do not designate EXP status. Sometimes I'll get a, "I need your bank card, not your boarding pass." However, I've never had a single issue once I explain I'm EXP. Usually a simple friendly reminder is sufficient.
same here. On the occasions that I am prompted, I simply say I am EXP and it ends there.

but it's a small sample size. I'm somehow one of those lucky EXPs who misses an UG like 3 times a year. Somehow. With not absurd EQD too.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
+1 is a jl owe, im wondering if there are anything different on jfksfo that she would take later?
in the past she gets a roll without paying- i wonder if thats the default free snack or prem tcon always get that as a standard servicw?!
Old Aug 25, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: AA PLT, United Silver
EXP basic economy free snack

As a exp if i buy a basic economy ticket will I still get a free snack + drink or is that only when i buy regular economy and don't get upgraded?
Old Aug 25, 2018, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The snack and drink are a stated benefit. There is no reference to required fare class.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...s-benefits.jsp
Old Aug 25, 2018, 6:11 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Merged with existing thread on EXP/CK snack and drink benefits. /Moderator
Old Sep 27, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL / Bonvoy Titanium Elite
I received confirmation today from AA customer service that this benefit does not extend to non-AA OWE members.
i would post the conversation here but I can't post pictures
Old Sep 27, 2018, 7:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by pma.tang
I received confirmation today from AA customer service that this benefit does not extend to non-AA OWE members.
i would post the conversation here but I can't post pictures
I don't think it was ever intended for non-AA OWEs but non-AA OWEs have historically shown (and maybe still?) the same way as EXPs on the handheld devices.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
This time I will be traveling in Y with a companion using on an award ticket booked with same record locator.
I have requested upgrades but I think our chances are rather low. Would free drink/food EXP benefit extend to my companion?
Any experience?
Old Nov 18, 2018, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Alex_I
This time I will be traveling in Y with a companion using on an award ticket booked with same record locator.
I have requested upgrades but I think our chances are rather low. Would free drink/food EXP benefit extend to my companion?
Any experience?
Generally not. But one time they did offer to give something to my wife but she declined. I wouldn't count on it but it is possible.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 8:41 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Originally Posted by Alex_I
Any experience?
YMMV..back when I was EXP, Wife and I got complimentary drinks a couple of times, and one time the very generous FA extended snacks to my daughter too. Of course I had my EXP and CC card on hand to pay, FA just waived cost.. At the end I rewarded the FA with an AAplause Certificate.
apeortdz likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.