Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

SAN / San Diego Int'l. Airport AirSpace Lounge / "Admirals Club" (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2015, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
San Diego Lindbergh Field International Airport (SAN) Aspire Lounge
Terminal 2 East, near Gate 33

Link to SAN AA airport information.

Link to SAN airport web site.

Terminal 2, immediately to the left, before Gate 23

INFORMATION:
This former Airspace Lounge is a contract lounge that accepts Admirals Club members as well as American Express Centurion and Platinum members and certain premium cabin passengers on British Airways, Japan Airlines, and Edelweiss. All staff are contracted employees, there are no longer AA staff (“AAngels”) at the front desk.

Irrespective of travel class or airline, the Aspire Lounge at San Diego Airport is open to all guests departing from terminal 2. Guests at this lounge can enjoy a range of facilities including: free WiFi, complimentary showers, dedicated business areas and facilities and an expansive food and beverage menu. Formerly the Airspace Lounge, this airport lounge allows guests to separate themselves from the busy airport concourse and work, play or simply relax.

HOURS:
The hours and additional information are posted here.

AMENITIES:
  • Additional $10 credit for premium menu items included with every entry (Not available for Admirals Club members. Credit available for AMEX Platinum and Centurion holders. Passengers who access via BA or JL are entitled to two premium items, regardless of price)
  • Unlimited, complimentary soft drinks and light snacks
  • Full bar
  • Unlimited complimentary espresso and cappucino
  • Unlimited complimentary Peet's Coffees & Teas
  • Complimentary WiFi
  • Power outlets at every seat
  • Semi-private conference room (Seats up to 6)
  • Complimentary printing
  • Complimentary scanning
  • Complimentary use of shower facility

Photographs
Credit: Swissport

Print Wikipost

SAN / San Diego Int'l. Airport AirSpace Lounge / "Admirals Club" (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by soopra
Is security friendly about letting people go into T2 even if your flight is leaving from T1?

I tried to do something similar at SFO last month and the security person had to check with their supervisor to see if it was ok...
You should be allowed through. You might get a friendly reminder that your airline flies out of another terminal, but that's about it.

I'm surprised to hear that you got some resistance at SFO. IIRC, a few years back the merchants at the airport banded together and petitioned the airport to allow all ticketed pax into all terminals so that their businesses could get more patrons. This was back in the days when LAA and LUS flew out of different terminals and the only available club was the LAA AC.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K
You'd need to have a LONG layover to make sense to travel across terminals for lounge access. It's a haul.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:09 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Thanks for the reminder, AAEmpireState. I forgot about the Platinum card benefit and used the Admiral's club membership instead. This was the latest time in the day I had been at this lounge and was surprised at the poor quality and variety of snacks given the BA flight. I wonder if this service feature is enhanced closer to the BA flights departure. While not as bad as PIT or BNA, I did find this lounge to be on the weaker side of ACs. Plus was the AC agent though, she was great.
If you enter with a BA boarding pass, you are given a little red stamp on your boarding pass. This allows you to order food off the special BA menu that they have at the bar and also "unlocks" the better drinks selection

I believe they have the same process when entering with a JAL boarding pass.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:53 pm

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
AA employees there are great. The facility is great. The soft product not so much. However, it's far better than the closet that used to be known as the Admiral's Club.

I find myself flying out of LAX far more than in the past - it is 45 minutes father from home but parking is cheaper, there are many non-stops and much better pricing. SAN has gotten relatively expensive - US used to have good fares if you would connect at PHX but no more.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 2:28 am

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by oysterhead43
You'd need to have a LONG layover to make sense to travel across terminals for lounge access. It's a haul.
It's a 5 minute walk... And the Bloody Mary's are quite tasty. Food is sad, but as mentioned a few times the staff are absolutely great. With pre-check security is rarely going to take more than 5 minutes (maybe a bit more for the WN gates, not sure how busy those get). But it also does get packed just prior to the BA and JL flights
Old Apr 12, 2017, 8:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Platinum
Agreed with those that have said the staff there are super-friendly and experienced. The large windows and view are nice. Plus, the bartenders are good have a few recipes for "specialty" drinks just using the rail liquor if you're thirsty.

But I would be remiss if I didn't mention that the wi-fi speed there suuuuucks. They even have a disclaimer when you sign in that they throttle it, which I can't fathom in 2017. Ah well.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Plus was the AC agent though, she was great.
SAN has some of the best AAngels in the system!

Originally Posted by IggySD
With pre-check security is rarely going to take more than 5 minutes
I've given up entering T2 on the AA/BA/JL side, since every time I've done so, Pre-Check has been closed (they still have a Pre-Check lane, but all it got me was Pre-Check Lite). I just get dropped off at the UA side now, since Pre-Check always seems to be open there.

Originally Posted by NM_UA
But I would be remiss if I didn't mention that the wi-fi speed there suuuuucks. They even have a disclaimer when you sign in that they throttle it, which I can't fathom in 2017. Ah well.
It is pathetic.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP
AirSpace Lounge - San Diego

Popped into the AirSpace Lounge in San Diego today and was not impressed. They offer access to AC members - or you can just pay $25 to enter. It was: crowded, dirty, bathroom not even close to being clean, a big long line at the bar. DIdn't spend enough time in there to try any food and drinks. All in all I was more comfortable just waiting at the gate. Fwiw, not sure whether they're all like this or whether this place was just having a bad day.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 7:36 pm

Had a great experience there on an early SAN-ORD flight - arrived around 7AM and it was pretty quiet. Haven't been during peak times, but I would assume it gets crazy at around 10AM due to the JAL flight...
Old Feb 15, 2018, 8:49 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by danbrew
Popped into the AirSpace Lounge in San Diego today and was not impressed. They offer access to AC members - or you can just pay $25 to enter. It was: crowded, dirty, bathroom not even close to being clean, a big long line at the bar. DIdn't spend enough time in there to try any food and drinks. All in all I was more comfortable just waiting at the gate. Fwiw, not sure whether they're all like this or whether this place was just having a bad day.
What time were you there? It's the lounge used for JL and BA flights as well, so if you time it right you can get passengers from those flights, AMEX, AC, and airspace all competing for space.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 5:47 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by danbrew
Originally Posted by Gino Troian
Had a great experience there on an early SAN-ORD flight - arrived around 7AM and it was pretty quiet. Haven't been during peak times, but I would assume it gets crazy at around 10AM due to the JAL flight...
Originally Posted by skunker
What time were you there? It's the lounge used for JL and BA flights as well, so if you time it right you can get passengers from those flights, AMEX, AC, and airspace all competing for space.
YMMV

Was there last Memorial Day when DFW had weather and we were eventually CXL AAngels got us, and others out early the next day. They were champions.

Was there last week AM. No better, no worse than any other AC.

I don't go to the lounges for the food (Exceptions: FL JFK, ORD, MIA, CX HKG, CX CDG for the noodles, NRT Sakura,) or the drinks. But will ALWAYS go to be with the great washed masses, rather with the great unwashed masses milling around the terminal.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
YMMV

Was there last Memorial Day when DFW had weather and we were eventually CXL AAngels got us, and others out early the next day. They were champions.

Was there last week AM. No better, no worse than any other AC.

I don't go to the lounges for the food (Exceptions: FL JFK, ORD, MIA, CX HKG, CX CDG for the noodles, NRT Sakura,) or the drinks. But will ALWAYS go to be with the great washed masses, rather with the great unwashed masses milling around the terminal.
Yeah, the AAngels at SAN are great, especially Marc.

The last time I stopped in was in November. The lounge was full with BA passengers with only a couple empty seats available, but after the boarding call I was the only one there. One of the bartenders brought me another drink to apologize for the craziness.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Was probably 10:00a-10:30a.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 3:18 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Question for accessing this lounge with status. If I am entering as a non-AA emerald, do I get the $10 food/drink voucher or no? I would think it works like drink chits at most ACs.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I love this lounge, I was flying to SAN a lot to visit the parental units and on my last day, would spend time with friends in Point Loma, I would get to the airport about 1.5 hours before flight time, and take a shower. Is it as fancy as LH's FCT, no or a flagship lounge, no but when it comes to a domestic type of lounge it ranks pretty high up there...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.