Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Anytime / AAnytime award / awards [master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 23, 2015, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AAnytime Awards (restricted to AA marketed and operated flights)

NOTE: There will likely be further changes. See Dynamic Award Pricing to be Expanded - AA announces 30 May 2019 link

Link to American Airlines award chart

Link to one world and other airline partner award chart

Link to HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance, discussion thread.

AAnytime awards

With no blackout dates, you can use AAnytime awards for any seat on an American Airlines or American Eagle® flight for as low as 20,000 miles each way, plus any applicable taxes and carrier-imposed fees.

AAnytime award levels vary by date (including time of day) and region. There are select dates that require a higher number of miles (in addition to Level 1 and 2 awards, there is a hidden level 3 based on aspirational value and premium product and even some hidden level 4 award space released on Flagship transcontinental flights). When you search for awards while booking, you’ll see the applicable available award level.
See this post (post #122) for more on the Level 3 increases introduced August 2016.

Link to The Points Guy article on the hidden Level 3.

If a seat is available for sale on an American Airlines marketed and operated flight, you can acquire it as an AAnytime award seat. AAnytime awards require more miles than the restricted MileSAver awards (for AA and required for partners); there are three tiers for the miles required for AAnytime awards seats; it can "cost" even more miles during high demand periods or on certain aspirational flights.

What you need to know
  • AAnytime awards are only offered on AA marketed and operated flights
    • Miles shown are for one-way travel
      • Book a one-way trip or combine awards for round-trip or multi-city travel
        • AAnytime awards mean as long as there is a seat available for sale, an AAnytime award can take it (but miles cost can be very high)
          • Each award is subject to taxes and carrier-imposed fees starting from $5.60 per person, per award. These taxes and fees vary by itinerary and are based on trip origin and destination. The exact amount of taxes and carrier-imposed fees that will apply will appear when searching for a particular itinerary.
            • For flights offering only two classes of service, the Economy and Business / First Class awards apply. For flights offering three classes of service Economy, Business / First and First Class awards apply.
              • NOTE: AAnytime miles "cost" can vary in accord with flight demand, even on the same day

Awards cost $150 to redeposit ($25 for multiple / other travelers' awards taken from the same account); the fee is waived for awards taken from and returned to the account of an Executive Platinum member, when one wishes to pay more miles for a higher class of service or when significant flight or schedule disruption occurs).

Fees for redepositing a MileSAAver award are generally waived if they are "upgraded" to an AAnytime award. “Downgrading” from AAnytime to !ileSAAver requires redeposited and a new award ticket issue.

AAnytime awards do not earn miles, but are more flexible than MileSAAver awards, allowing easier changes and more perquisites (baggage, Same Day Flight Change, Main Cabin Extra and premium seat selection, two courtesy bags to 23 kg / 50 lbs, etc.)

Print Wikipost

AA Anytime / AAnytime award / awards [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2017, 9:44 am

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
Codeshare Awards for BA Flights

The search terms I used did not turn anything on this question. When I last flew TATL - been a while - when searching for award flights on the AA site it would show AA and BA flights that could be secured using AA miles. Usually all of the flights were BA. Now all the flights are AA. Nothing on BA shows. Am I not searching for award flights correctly or has AA moved away from offering BA flights?
Old Jun 2, 2017, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Paint Horse
The search terms I used did not turn anything on this question. When I last flew TATL - been a while - when searching for award flights on the AA site it would show AA and BA flights that could be secured using AA miles. Usually all of the flights were BA. Now all the flights are AA. Nothing on BA shows. Am I not searching for award flights correctly or has AA moved away from offering BA flights?
You now need to use the advanced search engine -- not the one on the aa.com homepage -- in order to include partner carriers on an award search.

Be aware that very high cash surcharges will be assessed when redeeming AA miles for TATL travel on BA.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 11:34 am

Thanks for the update. Where do I find this search engine? All of the ones I see branch off the home page one way or the other.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
I just logged in and started a dummy booking. It appears that the setting is defaulted to search "all airlines" (look in lower right hand area under the "options" heading).
Old Jun 2, 2017, 11:43 am

Maybe I am already using the right one with the correct boxes checked. My question arose as no matter what city combination I use the only awards I see are for AA flights. When I last did this sort of search months back, the only TATL flights offered where BA. Now I do not see any BA flights, just AA in all cases.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 11:44 am

Hi,
I have a related question. I put a TATL BA flight on hold earlier (AAdvantage Business MileSAAver). The final leg of my trip home through AA did not have a MileSAAver, so I was advised to hold an AAnytime Award.

I will do the 5 day hold and see if any SAAvers open up, but am ok with the AAnytime if need be.

I tried to book them all as a multi-part journey to have 1 record locator, but the system would not allow me to do it (I tried 3 times to no avail. I was actually on the line with an AA agent at the time I was booking online and she said just to do the two and get it merged later).

If I do not find any MileSAAvers, am I correct that I can just call in and have the agents merge the 2 record locators (I know that is oversimplifying). There is a 6 hour gap between landing into the US and my next departure from JFK back home (so the agent said I shouldn't have any problems with the system cancelling out one or the other even though they're on the same day). I just wanted to double-check that info!

Thanks!
Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Thanks for the update. Where do I find this search engine? All of the ones I see branch off the home page one way or the other.
Click on the AAdvantage tab, and go from there.

One way to see if you are searching for partner flights is to search for a route like LHR-MAN, and see if the search engine is returning any BA flights.

Another thing to keep in mind is that BA had had very serious IT problems over the past week that caused numerous flight cancellations. Not sure if that also affected the ability to search for BA award flights.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Maybe I am already using the right one with the correct boxes checked. My question arose as no matter what city combination I use the only awards I see are for AA flights. When I last did this sort of search months back, the only TATL flights offered where BA. Now I do not see any BA flights, just AA in all cases.
I don't have any difficulty in finding BA-operated award inventory being offered by AA.com's advanced search page.

If you want help you're going to need to be specific on origin and destination airports, dates of travel, and class of service.

Old Jun 2, 2017, 1:27 pm

Should AAnytime flights only return AA flights and no codeshare flights?
Old Jun 2, 2017, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Should AAnytime flights only return AA flights and no codeshare flights?
AAnytime flights are only offered on AA metal. That's been the situation for a long, long time.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 2:12 pm

That maybe the main source of my confusion. I have never looked at these due to the number of miles required. But that does make sense.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 6:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
AAnytime awards are only offered for American Airlines marketed and operated flights.

AAdvantage awards are not offered on any codeshare flights, e.g. AA marketed and operated by BA, or vice versa, etc.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 11:05 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Alerts for tiered coach aanytime (domestic) awards

In addition to the effective elimination of saaver awards, I have noticed a tiered structure to aanytime awards, ranging from 20k to 50k miles. In some cases, I would be willing to pay 20k for the aanytime award. I checked today with EF, was told that since they are all in the Y fare bucket, it is not possible to set alerts to differentiate between the redemption values.

Are there any other options?
Old Jun 14, 2017, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by diver858
Star Alliance.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by diver858
In addition to the effective elimination of saaver awards, I have noticed a tiered structure to aanytime awards, ranging from 20k to 50k miles. In some cases, I would be willing to pay 20k for the aanytime award. I checked today with EF, was told that since they are all in the Y fare bucket, it is not possible to set alerts to differentiate between the redemption values.

There never will be an alert, because an aanytime has a fixed price by date. You won't see it change from 50k to 20k on a single date. Aanytime is either available or the flight is full.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.