Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2014, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Be sure to check the lengthy http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...elections.html and oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on threads, as many members have posted questions - and useful answers - there. See the wiki posts for informative summaries.

Also be aware - AA have reduced capacity and apparently chosen to make MileSAAver flights significantly less available during predicted periods of high demand and high demand flights, undoubtedly keeping seats available for those willing to pay higher fares and use the new tiered AAnytime awards.

Older posts as of 1 Jan 2015 and later may be found in thd archived thread ARCHIVE: MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction discussion post 2015 AAdvantage merger

Older posts may dating from Aug 2011 through the AAdvantage program merger January 2015 be found in the archived thread here.

Print Wikipost

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:18 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
My one free luggage in the USA and the availability of QF domestic awards is why I haven't given up totally on AA. When the historic miles are gone? Well I won't let them expire and we'll see what tomorrow brings/

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott, Delta, United, AA
I hadn't realized how horrible things have gotten. I have an elderly person I am trying to get a business/first class saver ticket for. super flexible on airports and dates.

I was looking for ANY date in later June, July, August or September from JFK, LGA ewr, bos, Btv, alb to ANY of the la airports. I can't find a single date, I know it's summer but doesn't that seem rediculous?? I understand that alot of dates they would want no savers but doesn't it seem crazy there are no dates from so many airports.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:02 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by DeweyCheathem
Ironically, since Alaska merged with Virgin, my market is suddenly at least as well served by Alaska metal as by American metal. My last 3 domestic flights were all on Alaska, with cash money, for less than AA would have charged me for the comparable flights, and I was glad to buy them, given the lack of AA saver award seats. So AA has actually made my personal decision to walk away from them as my preferred carrier as painless as possible. After I burn my last 45K of AAdvantage miles, I don't foresee using them much more, if at all. And also, it's not surprising that I will probably end up burning those AAdvantage miles as partner awards flying Alaska metal in any case.
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I would assume that someone booking longhaul J with cash every month might be willing to trade off access to AAnytime for cheap CX/JL F (MUCH cheaper than AA) and even access to EK F... but if they are primarily interested in things like OWE lounge access and booking AAnytime as an EXP/CK, sure.

Of course, if AAnytime is your jam, odd to post in the thread about no more SAAver...
Sorry if I wasn't clear - I have thought about crediting all of my AA and Delta flights to American as a NYC flier, predominately to get Alaska miles. However, as someone who has a lot of Alaska miles to begin with through credit cards, I have not been able to use those miles the way I want. In particular, I like to redeem miles for last minute domestic trip at the "anytime" level (whether its Delta, American, or whatever). Alaska doesn't have access to partner inventory in the "anytime" level, only at the saver level, so availability is limited for my purposes. So while it is easy to earn a lot of Alaska miles, for me, it is difficult to burn them. If Alaska had access to all award inventory on American, BA, whatever, it would be a no brainer to credit to them.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:41 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
I can find absolutely no availability in Bus/First Milesaver from DFW to PHL for any month that I look at on the calendar. Unless I want to take two hops in regional jets, one of which doesn't even have a premium cabin.

How can AA advertise non-existent products like "Bus/First Milesaver"? Is there anything we can do about it?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Adelphos
If Alaska had access to all award inventory on American, BA, whatever, it would be a no brainer to credit to them.
I imagine nobody would ever credit to AA if AS's program could do everything AA's program could do, but better. But that's fantasy (there is precisely no incentive for AA to allow for this); we might as well be musing on when free ponies are coming to AAdvantage.

If you are primarily interested in spending at AAnytime for domestic last minute flights out of an AA hub, obviously AA is the better program. But your situation might be different from the original poster I was responding to.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by stheller
I can find absolutely no availability in Bus/First Milesaver from DFW to PHL for any month that I look at on the calendar. Unless I want to take two hops in regional jets, one of which doesn't even have a premium cabin.

How can AA advertise non-existent products like "Bus/First Milesaver"? Is there anything we can do about it?
Keep in mind that you are attempting to find saaver award inventory between 2 major international hubs, so there is LOTS of competition.

If the trip is several months out, you can book the 2 stop, hope for a schedule change between booking and departure, then call and ask for the nonstop - have done it several times, always works. You can also set alerts for the desired flights on EF, change if they become available (often within a week or so of departure).
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:37 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott, Delta, United, AA
Originally Posted by diver858
Keep in mind that you are attempting to find saaver award inventory between 2 major international hubs, so there is LOTS of competition.

If the trip is several months out, you can book the 2 stop, hope for a schedule change between booking and departure, then call and ask for the nonstop - have done it several times, always works. You can also set alerts for the desired flights on EF, change if they become available (often within a week or so of departure).

yeah but there is also SO SO many connection potential that should exist between hubs. AA just isn't releasing any saver inventory. When there is nothing between DFW and PHL or the entire Northeast and so cal over months they are not releasing them. There are so many random cities between DFW and PHL you could connect thru. On UA i often see them offering EWR-MCI-DEN for example cause they actually have some saver seats. Random connection cities should show even if the non-stops are all in high demand. They are not releasing them except super close in.

Last edited by bdlman; Apr 21, 2017 at 11:45 am
Old Apr 21, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bdlman
yeah but there is also SO SO many connection potential that should exist between hubs. AA just isn't releasing any saver inventory. When there is nothing between DFW and PHL or the entire Northeast and so cal over months they are not releasing them. There are so many random cities between DFW and PHL you could connect thru. On UA i often see them offering EWR-MCI-DEN for example cause they actually have some saver seats. Random connection cities should show even if the non-stops are all in high demand. They are not releasing them except super close in.
There's a ton of savers available right now for thanksgiving week. Even non-stops for LAX-JFK.

I guess it just depends on what time frame you are looking for
Old Apr 21, 2017, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by diver858

It's actually 1-stop but it isn't even in "first class" the whole way, even regional jet "first class". See the image for an example, but every day is basically the same, i.e., no availability for even regional jet "first class".

I have written to AA about this and got an unresponsive "answer" about how I can't expect availability on every flight. I responded by saying, "Of course not, but there should be inventory available on SOME flights."
Attached Images  

Last edited by stheller; Apr 21, 2017 at 8:50 pm Reason: Missing word
Old Apr 21, 2017, 5:26 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AA EXP and former CK, DL Plat, UA Gold MM
AAdvantage miles redemption is ridiculous and has little value any longer. As a CK, I have experienced no greater saaver award inventory. AA has shot itself in the foot. Why bother earning miles that cannot be redeemed at any reasonable level with any reasonable effort?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by cyber1k
AAdvantage miles redemption is ridiculous and has little value any longer. As a CK, I have experienced no greater saaver award inventory. AA has shot itself in the foot. Why bother earning miles that cannot be redeemed at any reasonable level with any reasonable effort?
Agree 100% !
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA CK, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Platinum
Hotel Redemptions...

I'm right there with you. I've barely touched my miles in the last year, and with a new baby coming, I don't see any big trips for a while. It doesn't stop me from looking, though, and the lack of award space for advance travel is sickening. If and when we plan for a vacation, we'll either have to do it last-second... or I'll have to beg revenue management to open some seats... or perhaps AAdvantage miles are best spent redeeming for hotels now.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:08 pm

I did get another answer back from AA customer service, where the representative said that she shared my comments with Revenue Management. Maybe if enough people do that, they will listen.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
I think this is the point AA wants to make, they want you to pay if you want to fly, if you want an upgrade... show them the money. Since consumers now have little choices when they want to fly Airline loyalty is a thing of the past.

Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by stheller

In my experience, MileSaver availability decreased even further during last ca. 6 months. You are right that there is no availability for F/J for direct flights DFW-PHL during the summer. However, one-way fares are as low as $332 ai for one way.

What we can do about MileSaver availability? Personally, I have cancelled or stopped using AA credit cards and also start flying other airlines as fit my schedule. You can post on Facebook or Twitter but I don't think AA is listening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.