Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Bombardier CRJ900 / CR9 seat, carry on, etc. information & discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bombardier CRJ900 / CR9 seat, carry on, etc. information & discussion

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2020, 7:44 am

Programs: AA-EXP
8A, 8D, and 8F have extreme legroom due to being just behind F but no physical bulkhead. 8C has no seat in front, which means no storage also.
Someone else can compare 9-11 to non-MCE seats, but they dont look like they have very much extra space.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Uzzar
8A, 8D, and 8F have extreme legroom due to being just behind F but no physical bulkhead. 8C has no seat in front, which means no storage also.
Someone else can compare 9-11 to non-MCE seats, but they dont look like they have very much extra space.
Adding further information, F is a 1-2 configuration, so 8C is only partially protected by 4A. F and Y cabins are separated by a curtain. Unless one prefers window seats, 8D is the best Y seat on the plane, which is why it’s almost always, IME, not available. I’ve never sat anywhere behind row 8, but from what I’ve seen, I would agree with Uzzar’s comment.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 6:20 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
First AA flight in a while.

I will be doing my first AA in a while Tuesday. I am a gold medallion with Delta but have been considering exploring AA. My outbound has two stops CLT and DFW on my way to Sioux Falls, SD. (work) Inbound just a single stop at DFW.

All of my flights are on CR9’s. I can read all day long about these aircraft but what are some of your experiences? Of course due to late booking the CLT to DFW I’m stuck in the middle seat.

what are some tips for traveling with AA/ thanks
Old Feb 16, 2020, 6:43 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by KevTN
I will be doing my first AA in a while Tuesday. I am a gold medallion with Delta but have been considering exploring AA. My outbound has two stops CLT and DFW on my way to Sioux Falls, SD. (work) Inbound just a single stop at DFW.

All of my flights are on CR9’s. I can read all day long about these aircraft but what are some of your experiences? Of course due to late booking the CLT to DFW I’m stuck in the middle seat.

No CR9s have middle seats And you say all your flights are on CR9s.
KevTN likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Yea, CLT-DFW definitely won't be on a CR9.
lds89 and KevTN like this.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by KevTN
Keep your expectations as low as they will go and they you should only be mildly disappointed.
KevTN likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 8:41 am

Programs: AAdvantage
CLT to DFW will more than likely be on an LUS A321, which means steaming IFE, high-speed WiFi, but NO power outlets.

I doubt AA’s CR9s are much different than Delta’s, although that flight will be operated by Mesa, which can be hit or miss in terms of aircraft and service.
KevTN likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 1:39 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
No CR9s have middle seats And you say all your flights are on CR9s.
Sorry you are correct. it is a Airbus A321. The other four segments are the CR9 (CHA-CLT) (CLT-DFW)(DFW-FSD)(FSD-DFW)(DFW-CHA)
Auto Asign 12B 4A 9C 8D

I apologize. Thanks

Last edited by KevTN; Feb 16, 2020 at 1:48 pm
Old Mar 1, 2020, 10:58 pm

I fly PHX-LGB quite a bit with AA (operated by American Eagle). They use the CR9s, and I've been trying to find a rollerboard that I can bring onboard. Anyone have any suggestions? I read an article that said the Travelpro Maxlite 5 21" would fit. I know that some rollerboards are allowed because I see other passengers bring them. Thanks.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 7:40 am

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mizzou65201
As is increasingly common, the SeatGuru maps appear to be out of date for this type.

I have an upcoming trip on several PSA CR9 a/c and the seat maps show:
Rows 1-4: F
Rows 8-11: MCE
Rows 12-14: Standard Y
Rows 15-16: MCE/Exit
Rows 17-23: Standard Y

None of the three SeatGuru versions match that layout.

Looks like Row 8 is the best option, but if there is anyone who knows of missing/misaligned windows in any of the MCE rows, I'd love to hear it.
Originally Posted by HGH
I have the exact same question. AA says that 8-11 are MCE, but how much space does that really get you?
Anyone found the answer to this? The number of seats and configuration (except for seats 9-11 being MCE) match Seatguru's CRJ900 Layout 1 exactly, so it would seem either 9-11 aren't actually extra room MCE's or perhaps they reduced the space in the standard seats?
Old Jul 30, 2020, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA, B6, DL, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by JRRinNC
Anyone found the answer to this? The number of seats and configuration (except for seats 9-11 being MCE) match Seatguru's CRJ900 Layout 1 exactly, so it would seem either 9-11 aren't actually extra room MCE's or perhaps they reduced the space in the standard seats?
I don’t recall there being extra space in 9-11. Row 8 has excellent leg room, with 8C being virtually unlimited. Downside to this seat is that incoming passengers have to jag left around you as the aisle shifts. You will be bumped during boarding. Also, no under seat storage in front of you as there is no seat. Exit rows 15 and 16 also a good option. Best option if traveling alone are the single first class “A” seats. Some of my favorite in the short haul fleet. If only the overheads would hold a standard rollaboard.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 6:49 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Boarded a CRJ900 flight this am with a relatively small rollaboard bag. The FA asked me to valet tag it, which I did. As I boarded, I explained it would have fit in the overhead, and the FA explained it was not a size issue, but an FAA regulation about weight and balance, and no rollaboards are allowed inside a CRJ900.

Is this accurate, or do we have an over-reaching FA who’s full of poppycock? I didn’t see anything on AA or FT to suggest this was valid.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 9:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA, B6, DL, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by joeyE
Boarded a CRJ900 flight this am with a relatively small rollaboard bag. The FA asked me to valet tag it, which I did. As I boarded, I explained it would have fit in the overhead, and the FA explained it was not a size issue, but an FAA regulation about weight and balance, and no rollaboards are allowed inside a CRJ900.

Is this accurate, or do we have an over-reaching FA who’s full of poppycock? I didn’t see anything on AA or FT to suggest this was valid.
Some GA's/FA's are more aggressive about this than others. I have a small Travelpro that I've never been asked to valet tag. Similar to attached photo. Bought it especially for the CRJ's and E140's. Problem is it's really only sufficient for a one day trip.

Last edited by TBRIC; Oct 20, 2020 at 9:34 am
Old Oct 21, 2020, 7:42 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA Executive Platinum, National Executive Elite, Avis First
PSA's policy is to not allow any roll a board bags or bags with wheels on board. It's frustrating because it doesn't apply to the other regional carriers, but per FAA regulations they are required to enforce their policies.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by adambrock
PSA's policy is to not allow any roll a board bags or bags with wheels on board. It's frustrating because it doesn't apply to the other regional carriers, but per FAA regulations they are required to enforce their policies.
Why would this only apply to PSA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.