Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: LUS 757-200 / B75E ETOPS "East" (transat) [NONE LEFT Dec 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 30, 2015, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Legacy US Airways "East" "Transatlantic" ETOPS version of Boeing 757-200 (B75E)

Up front: This aircraft had three rows of 2 x 2 "Envoy" class 60" pitch, 19.5" wide angled flat seats in 2 x 2 configuration (12 seats).

Originally Posted by arc727
4 Dec 2017 So, interestingly enough, there are no more 757s flying around in the "East" configuration. The last one, N941UW, was retired just a few days ago. Meanwhile, N939UW and N206UW were converted to the "Hawaii" configuration with domestic First seats.
Link to SeatGuru seating chart.

Seat 1-C from aztimm
  • Seat 3A is said to have impaired recline

• 3D will usually be blocked for the PNF (Pilot Not Flying) on transatlantic flights.

• The forward cabin has one lav forward and port (left).

In Economy: Mostly 32" pitch, 17" width seats in 3 x 3 configuration (170 seats).

The good:
  • The greatest seat pitch is in 7A, B, C and F, with no seats close in front of these because of the exit row. 6C and D are in midst of the exit row.

• Row 24 are exit row seats with great seat pitch.

• All these are narrower, with immovable arm rests holding the folded tray tabe. Exit row seats can be colder. Under seat bags may be restricted in the seats in front of you.
The bad:
  • Row 23 is against the aft bulkhead in this cabin section, against the lavs; they do not recline.

• Row 32 is the last row and close to the galley and it's attendant noise.
Beginning in April 2018, the B75Es will be put on mainland - Hawaii runs where 757-200s are used; the existing B75H will be returned to their lessor. (Thanks to TWA884 - see here.)

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: LUS 757-200 / B75E ETOPS "East" (transat) [NONE LEFT Dec 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2013, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
In other words, the US 762's fill a niche that can't be directly filled by the merged fleet. If some of the current US TATL flights won't support significantly bigger planes profitably, those routes either get dropped or some 762's stay around. It's a lot easier to say "Just use a newer, bigger plane" than it is to make it all profitable.

Jim
But that is assuming that right now, the 762 is right-sized for the routes it flies. I think it is more of a "US has no other option because of the distance of the flights and the lack of surplus aircraft".

The 762-specific flights seem to be PHL-ZRH/MXP/ATH. AA serves ZRH and MXP from JFK. So the PHL flights might just be dropped in favor of keeping the JFK routes. Even ATH might get shifted up there. AA's 763s only have about 25 seats more than the US 762s. That's because of the 30 J seats and the Y+ seating now installed in them. Then there's the GIG and GRU routes out of CLT. I do not see those hanging around in the new airline. I believe the seasonal CLT-MAD and FCO flights get them. With US entering OW, the MAD flight can make use of an upgauge. While FCO might lose out because there is a JFK-FCO flight, and 3 daily flights to FCO might be too much. And the remaing 762s seem to get randomly shifted around. Sometimes they'll fly to AMS, BRU, and BCN. So the 762 will become less of a "void-filler" as the two airlines get closer to merger completion.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
I think another question would be "can a different, larger, aircraft fly these routes with lower costs and/or generate more cargo revenue than the 762, thereby offsetting the risk of not filling more seats?". Given, the age of the 762 versus newer A332s or even some of the 763s in the AA fleet, US might be able to leverage a somewhat larger aircraft without a hit on margin.

That of course doesn't mean the same aircraft couldn't be used even more profitably in a different way, but consider that a one for one replacement isn't necessarily in order.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 2:54 pm

Programs: None
There are two "merger completions" - the corporate merger which will almost certainly happen immediately upon the POR being approved, and the completion of merging all aspects of the two operations which could take a couple of years.

Certainly, assuming a merger happens, the combined fleet allows all kinds of things that aren't available to a stand-alone US. It's also anyone's guess what the choices will be. Certainly one option is to get rid of the 762's, but that's only one of many fleet choices that will have to be made. The west 757's used for Hawaii are also pretty old so maybe they'll transfer some 762's to some of those routes.

Jim
Old Mar 24, 2013, 3:26 pm

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
There are two "merger completions" - the corporate merger which will almost certainly happen immediately upon the POR being approved, and the completion of merging all aspects of the two operations which could take a couple of years.

Certainly, assuming a merger happens, the combined fleet allows all kinds of things that aren't available to a stand-alone US. It's also anyone's guess what the choices will be. Certainly one option is to get rid of the 762's, but that's only one of many fleet choices that will have to be made. The west 757's used for Hawaii are also pretty old so maybe they'll transfer some 762's to some of those routes.

Jim
The West 752's are in pretty bad shape but are the 762's much newer? At least they have angled seats in Envoy...
Old Mar 24, 2013, 6:30 pm

Programs: None
The ex-AWA 757's were procured used or delivered to AWA in the late 80's, so they're basically as old as the oldest 767's. The 767 had Envoy upgraded to the flat on a slant seats after the US/AWA merger and of course have always had premium seating up front since they were intended for TATL business class service as opposed to the West 757's which were domestic oriented.

Jim
Old Mar 24, 2013, 8:23 pm

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred
Originally Posted by finster869
I know seat 3D doesn't show up on the seat map and is reserved crew rest on a 757, but for Caribbean runs, is that seat ultimately assigned to someone? I am flying SXM-PHL and it is showing F0 at T-15. I am wondering if there is a chance that 3D was held back and ultimately gets released at the gate if it isn't being used. Or, do they just sell it and not assign the seat until you get to the airport?
3D was used by the pilot on my flight. Fortunately, I was upgraded to 1A at the gate, even though it was showing F0 all week.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:42 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by finster869
3D was used by the pilot on my flight. Fortunately, I was upgraded to 1A at the gate, even though it was showing F0 all week.
Congrats!!! ^

Was wondering what happened
Old Apr 27, 2013, 7:57 am

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
Apple Magsafe adaptor on US 757 and smoke

Yesterday, I was on a 757-200 going from SJU in F, and noticed what appeared to be an Empower port on the right hand side of the seat. Having just bought an Apple Magsafe Empower adaptor, I thought "great" and plugged it in, then attached to the MacBook.

"Puff" -- smoke.

And again.

I quickly yanked it out, smelled the adaptor, and yup, not seeing things, smoke.

My Macbook power is now fried, and I'm on the last hour of battery before getting a new one, but I then also noticed (oops) a normal power jack on the left hand side of the seat. I leafed through a US brochure in the seat back pocket about the Envoy seat and it described what I thought was the Empower port (and shaped 100% identically) as something to power the video systems that would be handed out.

So -- does anyone know: is there actually different current coming through these outlets from Empower? Or could it be the adaptor?

I'm posting this here vs travel technology as it is specific to a US 757.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 9:30 am
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Originally Posted by Simon
Yesterday, I was on a 757-200 going from SJU in F, and noticed what appeared to be an Empower port on the right hand side of the seat. Having just bought an Apple Magsafe Empower adaptor, I thought "great" and plugged it in, then attached to the MacBook.

"Puff" -- smoke.

And again.

I quickly yanked it out, smelled the adaptor, and yup, not seeing things, smoke.

My Macbook power is now fried, and I'm on the last hour of battery before getting a new one, but I then also noticed (oops) a normal power jack on the left hand side of the seat. I leafed through a US brochure in the seat back pocket about the Envoy seat and it described what I thought was the Empower port (and shaped 100% identically) as something to power the video systems that would be handed out.

So -- does anyone know: is there actually different current coming through these outlets from Empower? Or could it be the adaptor?

I'm posting this here vs travel technology as it is specific to a US 757.
Flown between PHL and SJU on 752 quite a few times.

The power outlets are REGULAR ones and accept regular US plugs even though they may at first glance look like needing an adapter.

So, do not use any adapters - just plug in like you normally would.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 3:00 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
The EmPower adaptors also should work just fine if someone chooses to use their airplane power adaptor - MacBook or otherwise. They were installed in those seats when they were originally delivered/installed into the A330 fleet. The standard AC power outlets were later added when they moved those seats to the 757 Envoy cabins.

The smoke issue is probably something I would have advised the crew of....
Old Apr 27, 2013, 7:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
IIRC, there are no EmPower plugs in 752 Envoy.

There are regular multisystem AC plugs, which look like they need an adapter, but they really don't, and, then, as OP writes, plugs for the antiquated IFE - these plugs are NOT EmPower plugs and are NOT designed as AC power plugs, and so one SHOULN'T use them as such.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by burlax
IIRC, there are no EmPower plugs in 752 Envoy.

There are regular multisystem AC plugs, which look like they need an adapter, but they really don't, and, then, as OP writes, plugs for the antiquated IFE - these plugs are NOT EmPower plugs and are NOT designed as AC power plugs, and so one SHOULN'T use them as such.
That matches my recollection as well. I've never actually looked at the 757/767 plugs for the portable entertainment units when flying those aircraft across the Atlantic, and I admit I'm surprised that an Empower plug would fit into it and not actually be an Empower outlet, but given the OP's unfortunate experience, it looks like it was possible and it put out an unacceptable power level. Frying the adapter with smoke probably shouldn't have happened - you'd think that something would've tripped - but whether that should have happened on the airplane or power brick side, I don't know. I've certainly fried some cell phone adapters abroad over the years, forgetting to check voltage and frequencies.

I believe the last Empower outlets on US were in old A330-300 Envoy before they were upgraded to the current Envoy suites. That type and the narrowbody Airbuses had been delivered with Empower but it was disabled/removed at the same time as the IFE was.

The current power outlets on the Transatlantic 757, 767 and A330-200/300 may look unusual, but that is because they can take North American two or three prong plugs, the rounded pin plugs used in continental Europe and much of the rest of the world, and I think they can take the three-prong UK plugs as well. The A330s can also provide USB power through a second standard USB outlet in each suite.

Fortunately, most carriers have moved to standard plugs in at least the premium cabins internationally. I don't even have an Empower adapter for my current laptop and haven't for several years now - one less thing to carry in my bag.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 9:19 am

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
Yup, I definitely saw the standard AC power adaptors... but this was after my experience with the nasty video plug.

Went into the Apple store yesterday and they validated that the Magsafe port on my MacBook Pro is indeed now fried and needs replacing.

It's just bizarre to me that they would have ever installed something that looks like and is the exact size of a "standard" EmPower jack, but emit something completely different.

Only reason for buying these MagSafe Empower adapters is I have been on a few AA flights lately which do still have EmPower only...

And a stunning number on various domestic airlines that have no power whatsoever. One place where AC spoils us...
Old May 6, 2013, 10:29 pm
BL*

Programs: Marriott Gold
PHL-SJU flight 1071 in F - question on configuration

Hi, I tried doing a search and couldn’t find an answer. I haven’t flown US in several years due to company preferred was UA. I’m using miles (first class) for a big anniversary trip with hubby to San Juan next week. We’re flying redeye from the west coast to PHL on an A320 so I can see that configuration in first. We change in PHL to flight 1071. I’m trying to find out the configuration of that plane and there are 4 different 757-200s on Seatguru. Does anyone have any experience on this flight? Anything we should be looking forward to with US first class? Is it an improvement over UA first?
Old May 6, 2013, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond
You'll be on an East 757. That's the fourth version on seat guru. (http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/US_..._757-200_D.php)

You'll have the first gen Envoy seats which offer 165ish degrees of recline. Personally, I really like this seat for day flights, as they are great for lounging and relaxing (not the best for sleeping). http://www.airliners.net/photo/US-Ai...b09e31d2e7aace

You'll get a nice meal and a good seat, but that's about it. No IFE on that old bird, but they do have power outlets inbetween the seats.

This thread is specifically for the East 757, which might have some helpful info. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...er-thread.html

Hope this helps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.