Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Questions on BankDirect, now Bask Bank (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2021, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: funnyfarm299
Miles usually post on Bask website on the second business day of the month, to AA a day or 2 later.

Check the "Rewards" section of your Bask dashboard or the Recent Activity section of your AA account.

Current earn rate as of June 2023: 2.5 miles/dollar/year, awarded monthly (no LP's).
Print Wikipost

Questions on BankDirect, now Bask Bank (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2011, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by josephstern
I have a lot of miles also, but to me, and I think to most, $0.007 is a screaming deal for AA miles. That's $945 for Cathay RT to Hong Kong in first class. I'd take that any day (and have!).
Funny thing is, we actually were from Hong Kong... One trip every 2 years to see families and friends is just about right, CX F not withstanding. The city is just getting unbelievably crowded by the day. And the weather... Only the few months from Nov to Feb are tolerable.

OT:

Last Saturday I casually looked up June F availability when BA site was semi-functioning. There were plenty available esp the afternoon flight from YVR. But we could not bring ourselves to go in June, or Jul or Aug - too hot and too much rain. Sept is Typhoon season. Oct is good if you dont mind the skyrocket hotel rates due to the Chinese Trade Fair for the whole month (April and October each year)... So really Nov to Feb are the few months we normally would consider a trip. Sorry about being so picky but we were completely rained out last time we went in June. We did not even go to Kowloon during the week we were there. The only consolation was the terrific Chinese gourmet foods we had through out the week. FYI, Ren HK has a superb Chinese restaurant that even frequented by the local super riches. There are a couple other restaurants specialized in very very good but very very pricy seafoods in the same vicinity as well.

I would take a long cruise any day (and have, 16 to 18 days Transatlantic every year for the past 5 years, sometimes twice a year! and here and there 7 to 10 days Carribeans in the Fall or Holidays) than taking 1 trip to HKG every year, even flying in CX F.

Last edited by Happy; Jun 6, 2011 at 9:52 pm
Old Jun 6, 2011, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ps9a
+1... at $.007/mile AAnytime awards become palatable.
No AAnytime award on Partners. Must be Saaver award.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 10:24 pm

Did I really read a post a few pages back that suggested contacting the FDIC because Bank Direct miles had not posted to an AAdvantage account by the 4th or 5th of the following month?

An early candidate for post of year.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 10:35 pm

Changing info. in my frequent flyer account

I want to preface this by saying it may not be in the correct forum, but if so just please let me know.
I'm curious to know the logistics in moving people's seat assignments with myseatfinder and any other sites that may do this. By just having my frequent flyer number, such as what myseatfinder.com ( as well as others), can they reallymove/modify anything such as my seat assignment?

If so, how does this actually work... a programmed bot to go in and do this or what?

Thanks for any info., I appreciate it,

-Mike
Old Jun 7, 2011, 4:19 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jss
Originally Posted by seawolf
That really sucks. It probably mean the bonus won't show up until August.
Assuming you used in 4/5/6 then you can call in July and they should credit right away--sometime early July.
I hope so.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 4:22 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
Did I really read a post a few pages back that suggested contacting the FDIC because Bank Direct miles had not posted to an AAdvantage account by the 4th or 5th of the following month?

An early candidate for post of year.
For those overly concerned with miles not posting "on time".....relax. It just showed up this morning.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 11:02 am

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
For those overly concerned with miles not posting "on time".....relax. It just showed up this morning.
Well, they didn't actually post "on time." There was apparently a technical glitch on BD's side which caused them to post two days after they were supposed to post. Not a big deal since we know the explanation, but not "on time" nonetheless.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What if I was just "concerned" but not "overly concerned"?
Old Jun 7, 2011, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Happy
No AAnytime award on Partners. Must be Saaver award.
Wasn't referring to partners, and an AAnytime award on American is not my preferred redemption method. Was just pointing out that if you live in a city from which you might consider flying AA, it isn't hard to find $.005-.007 value from your miles using an AAnytime award.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 2:01 pm

Programs: Charter Member Delta Diamond Medallion, Lifetime AA Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hilton & Marriott Gold
I had the same problem at BankDirect

Originally Posted by Happy
I just started BD in late May for an account we initially opened in late March. They returned our check and the application because there was a place we should initial it (the account type chosen) but it wasn't highlighted on their signature card form sent to me. We went on a 6 weeks trip and I was wondering WHY the check written to BD was never cashed every time I checked our FIDO account...

Anyway, 3 weeks after we returned the properly finished paperwork, our account was finally opened, and the online access information finally arrived. I saw the 1K new account and 1K referral bonus showed up in my AA account yesterday, dd 5/31.

Reading the recent pages, I got a sense that every now and then BD has some glitch flaring up and everyone got a bit excited... And the handling of DD bonus seems BD has gone out of bound on the Privacy Law front. They should set a minimum amount that is deemed reasonable instead of having an arbitrary amount based on your "reported income" on the application. They are not lending people money for goodness sake! It is the first time I have seen Income info is required when opening a checking account, let alone it is being used to decide if you have made payroll DD correctly based on BD's interpretation.

Miles aside, the outfit is not gaining much of my confidence.
My application was also returned because I didn't initial one section on their signature card. Unfortunately BankDirect didn't mail my application back to my mailing address. BD used my street address required due to the US Patriot act. Fortunately a jogger found my application blowing down the street as my street mail box where BankDirect sent my application to is not secure like my post office box. The jogger thought my application was important as it had my social security number, name, address, signature and and amount of initial deposit. BD said sorry they did not follow instructions and did not mail it to my mailing address. BankDirect also said the delay was due to the Memorial day holiday. I reminded them that the last day of the month, May 31st was not a banking holiday and the customer service rep then said she didn't know why our mileage posting was delayed for May accrual. The mileage for May posted yesterday. Did anyone find out why there was a BankDirect delay in posting our American Airlines miles for May.

Bank Direct also didn't award my promised miles from my direct deposit until I faxed them a copy of my direct deposit pay stub. It was an additional hassel to get my miles especially after BankDirect just reduced our American Airlies mileage accruals by 75% for balances over $200,000. BankDirect thought I didn't direct deposit the entire amount based on income until I provided a copy of my pay stub.

With the new award schedule starting April 1, 2011 from BankDirect, it seems that BD prefers customers with balances under $200,000 as they reduce mileage award benefits by 75% for balances over $200,000 and limit the number of accounts per household.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 2:12 pm

ceieoc, I hope things go better. It sounds like they aren't highlighting everything that needs to be signed/initialed. I'm writing to them about this because I've heard it come up before. I don't understand the pay stub issue, and that seems new.

Regarding the posting this month, miles usually post on a Tue for me, sometimes Wed. The fact that they came on the 7th this time is no real surprise since it's still the first Tue.

Last edited by rrgg; Jun 8, 2011 at 2:20 pm
Old Jun 8, 2011, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It does sound like it's getting harder and harder to qualify for the various bonuses with BankDirect. Back when I got my (smaller) DD bonus, I only had to do one DD, and it was tiny. I inquired, got my miles, and moved on. That must have been under the reign of Henry.

Now, with BankDirect asking for paystubs and such, it seems like it's a bit of a different ballgame. I'm currently working on qualifying for my debit card and bill payment bonuses, and something tells me that they'll be giving me a bit of a hard time when it comes down to getting my miles. I admit that some of my debit card charges are to the same vendor repetitively, but as far as I can tell, they get a per transaction fee each time, so maybe they won't care.

My real question is, why do they even offer these bonuses?

When I'm not working towards a bonus, I'm a stable customer with a large balance.

When I am working towards a bonus, I have lots of transactions in and out, but no more money involved, overall.

What value do they even get out of direct deposit transfers? And how can it possibly be worth whatever they pay for 10,000 miles?

If I make 36 bill payments over 12 months, that's worth 5000 miles to them? Shouldn't it cost them money? Is it that they think I'd otherwise use checks, which cost them more? In fact, I'd otherwise use bill pay at my regular bank, which costs them nothing.

I guess, in many ways, this is just the problem with trying to reward specific behavior: you can't really target the actions you want.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat Hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by josephstern
It does sound like it's getting harder and harder to qualify for the various bonuses with BankDirect. Back when I got my (smaller) DD bonus, I only had to do one DD, and it was tiny. I inquired, got my miles, and moved on. That must have been under the reign of Henry.

Now, with BankDirect asking for paystubs and such, it seems like it's a bit of a different ballgame. I'm currently working on qualifying for my debit card and bill payment bonuses, and something tells me that they'll be giving me a bit of a hard time when it comes down to getting my miles. I admit that some of my debit card charges are to the same vendor repetitively, but as far as I can tell, they get a per transaction fee each time, so maybe they won't care.

My real question is, why do they even offer these bonuses?

When I'm not working towards a bonus, I'm a stable customer with a large balance.

When I am working towards a bonus, I have lots of transactions in and out, but no more money involved, overall.

What value do they even get out of direct deposit transfers? And how can it possibly be worth whatever they pay for 10,000 miles?

If I make 36 bill payments over 12 months, that's worth 5000 miles to them? Shouldn't it cost them money? Is it that they think I'd otherwise use checks, which cost them more? In fact, I'd otherwise use bill pay at my regular bank, which costs them nothing.

I guess, in many ways, this is just the problem with trying to reward specific behavior: you can't really target the actions you want.
They aren't trying to target certain behaviors, just trying to make you feel like you invested more time in the bank so you aren't as willing to switch to another bank where you will have to learn a new system. This is probably especially true with bill pay since you spend time setting it up and then it is fairly easy to pay going forward. Most people probably won't want to change banks and have to do the bill pay set-up again unless they have a big problem at Bankdirect or a strong financial reason from some other institution.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miahf
They aren't trying to target certain behaviors, just trying to make you feel like you invested more time in the bank so you aren't as willing to switch to another bank where you will have to learn a new system. This is probably especially true with bill pay since you spend time setting it up and then it is fairly easy to pay going forward. Most people probably won't want to change banks and have to do the bill pay set-up again unless they have a big problem at Bankdirect or a strong financial reason from some other institution.
Huh - OK - that's a good perspective, and a new one to me.

I've got to say, though, if they really want my business beyond the chunk of miles-earning cash, they should redo their site. It doesn't compare with my other banks' but I don't mind since I don't interact with it much.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
How long does it take to get the bonus miles for direct deposit? I'd like to cancel as soon as possible since I'm not thrilled with the services provided, but I want to be sure and get my bonus miles first.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.