Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Lounge Access Based on Class of Service (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Lounge Access for oneworld First or Business Class Passengers

NOTE: This thread has received little use since the establishment of the thread HELP DESK: Will I Have Lounge Access? Access, Rules (2017). Please use that thread to inquire about Lounge access. A few more recent posts have been moved to that thread.

Relax in more premium lounges around the world

If your oneworld® frequent flyer tier status is Emerald or Sapphire, or you are traveling in a First or Business Class cabin on a oneworld member airline, you can access more than 600 airport lounges throughout the world.

This means you can relax or catch up with work in comfort and style before departure, regardless of which oneworld member airline you choose to fly with.

To be eligible, you must be departing on a flight that is both marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline.
  • Some lounges may get busy at peak times, and access to them may be restricted as a result.

• Lounges operated by third parties are identified in the lounge finder tool (above). Access to these lounges is restricted to eligible customers when travelling on specific oneworld airlines as shown in the lounge finder tool.

• Arrivals lounges are excluded.

• Spa and Pre-Flight Dining facilities are excluded.

• British Airways Concorde lounges are excluded.

• Other exceptions may apply (see below).

oneworld lounge access for First Class or Business Class customers (link)

Indulge yourself before departure in a wider range of airport lounges when you fly First Class or Business Class with any oneworld member airline.
  • Customers flying First or Business Class have access to the equivalent class of lounge regardless of their frequent flyer status. First Class passengers may use a Business Class or frequent flyer lounge if a First Class lounge is not available.

• First Class passengers may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld airline.

• Connecting between oneworld marketed and operated flights:

• First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa).

• Lounge access will be determined on the international long haul ticketed flight (either First of Business Class) regardless of the ticketed class of travel on the international short haul or domestic flight.

• You must be prepared to show your boarding pass or itinerary showing travel in First or Business class on the international long haul flight, in order to access the lounge before your international short haul or domestic flight.
The following exceptions apply:
  1. First and Business Class customers who do not hold Emerald or Sapphire tier status are not eligible to access American Airlines lounges when travelling on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean; customers travelling in First or Business class on U.S. transcontinental flights between JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO and MIA-LAX (and vice-versa) are eligible for lounge access.

2. Guests are not permitted at Qatar Airways Al Safwa and Al Mourjan lounges at Hamad International Airport in Doha or Qatar Airways Premium Lounge at London Heathrow Terminal 4.

Please see the following resources for further details on Class of Service Based Lounge Access Rules:

. . . oneworld Lounge Access Wizard , created by FlyerTalk member imagineertobe

. . . ● AA.com: AA Lounge Access Rules

. . . ● oneworld.com: Lounge Access Rules and Search Tool

. . . ● FlyerGuide Wiki: Lounges

. . . ● FT thread: AAdvantage status-based access to AA & oneworld lounges (consolidated)

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Lounge Access Based on Class of Service (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2016, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by arlflyer
As an arriving intl F pax you would be allowed FL access per the rules.

What I can't personally speak to is the physical location of the FL in LAX and whether that presents any access issues, since I never fly through LAX.

I would tell you that I'm looking forward to "8 bottles of Salon in JL F" but in my experience they only load 2 per flight. After that they drop you down to the swill, aka Dom.
Thanks for the clarification.

BTW, the FL is in terminal 4, and there is an airside tunnel walkway that connects 4-5-6. So, access shouldn't be an issue.

Also, JL is now pouring Bollinger La Grande Annee as the secondary F Champagne – for when the Salon runs out.

Cheers,
M
Old Jan 28, 2016, 10:51 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
The FL is the same location as the AC. The AC is in the AA terminal, where AA flights depart, but not where JL flights arrive, so there is a bit of a trek, either way you'll need to do that trek.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 10:58 am

Thanks for the info re: the backup champagne, did not know they had switched since I last flew them.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by hiima
The FL is the same location as the AC. The AC is in the AA terminal, where AA flights depart, but not where JL flights arrive, so there is a bit of a trek, either way you'll need to do that trek.
Depending on when OP's trip is, there may be a landside connection for TBIT->T4, so at least OP won't have to leave the terminal and walk outside.

(There will be a TSA rescreening, though, but it will happen inside.)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ly-2016-a.html

I also think OP would be entitled to the OW F lounge in TBIT as well by rule, right? On a 7 hour layover I'd probably pick that IF OP can get in (they might exclude from access if they are busy).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html
Old Jan 28, 2016, 12:29 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Merged with existing thread for discussion of Class of Service-based lounge access. Thanks. /Moderator
Old Jan 28, 2016, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Depending on when OP's trip is, there may be a landside connection for TBIT->T4, so at least OP won't have to leave the terminal and walk outside.

(There will be a TSA rescreening, though, but it will happen inside.)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ly-2016-a.html

I also think OP would be entitled to the OW F lounge in TBIT as well by rule, right? On a 7 hour layover I'd probably pick that IF OP can get in (they might exclude from access if they are busy).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html
That's a great idea to use the OW F lounge at TBIT – thanks!

My trip is this weekend, so no airside connector...
Old Feb 2, 2016, 9:51 am

I depart DCA at 8pm and arrive in ORD at 9pm. The next morning at 11am I am flying JAL ORD-NRT in F.

Reading the policy, I do have access in ORD (FL and AC) the next morning which is the day of the TPAC F flight. I would not have access in DCA the night before.

Am I correct? Is the policy strictly enforced?
Old Feb 2, 2016, 10:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You are correct.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 3:15 pm

One more:

JL F NRT-ORD connecting to UA domestic. During my 6hr layover, I still should be able to access the FL due to the JL F flight, right? It doesn't matter that my next flight is not a one world flight, does it?
Old Feb 3, 2016, 6:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mileshound
One more:

JL F NRT-ORD connecting to UA domestic. During my 6hr layover, I still should be able to access the FL due to the JL F flight, right? It doesn't matter that my next flight is not a one world flight, does it?
It does matter-- has to be.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 12:07 pm

Hello,

I just needed a confirmation.

I have NRT-JFK-YUL (ticketed by JL) with NRT-JFK in JL J. I am assuming that AC lounge access at JFK is denied based on JFK-YUL (on AA) being one class Y and this:

"First and Business Class customers who do not hold Emerald or Sapphire tier status are not eligible to access American Airlines lounges when travelling on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean;"
Old Feb 16, 2016, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by illico
Hello,

I just needed a confirmation.

I have NRT-JFK-YUL (ticketed by JL) with NRT-JFK in JL J. I am assuming that AC lounge access at JFK is denied based on JFK-YUL (on AA) being one class Y and this:

"First and Business Class customers who do not hold Emerald or Sapphire tier status are not eligible to access American Airlines lounges when travelling on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean;"
You'll have access if the JFK-YUL is the same day due to Int'l connection from NRT.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 9:23 am

What lounge can I use?

I am still confused after reading these lounge rules. Maybe someone can help me.

I am flying an award F AA ticket SJC-DFW-iCN. In order to catch the morning flight to ICN, I need to overnight in Dallas. My questions are:

1. Is my luggage check all the way to ICN or I need to re-check it at DFW?
2. Is there a lounge I can use in both SJC and DFW? And are there lounges to choose from or basically 1 lounge?

On my return, I am flying an award (AA) ticket, Cathay pacific business and AA first HKG-LAX-SJC, 4hours+ layover in LAX, do I have any access to the lounge? Cathay's lounge or AA lounge.?

Please advise, thanks.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 10:01 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by lililolo
I am still confused after reading these lounge rules. Maybe someone can help me.

I am flying an award F AA ticket SJC-DFW-iCN. In order to catch the morning flight to ICN, I need to overnight in Dallas. My questions are:

1. Is my luggage check all the way to ICN or I need to re-check it at DFW?
2. Is there a lounge I can use in both SJC and DFW? And are there lounges to choose from or basically 1 lounge?

On my return, I am flying an award (AA) ticket, Cathay pacific business and AA first HKG-LAX-SJC, 4hours+ layover in LAX, do I have any access to the lounge? Cathay's lounge or AA lounge.?

Please advise, thanks.
Outbound if your overnight is 11 hours or longer you're most likely going to have your baggage checked to DFW.

There is no lounge at SJC; the Admirals Club was closed some time ago. If it were open, you'd not have access.

There are four Admirals Clubs at DFW you could use. ("A" has the best showers and a small workout room.) As you'll be departing to Incheon from terminal D, you'll probably want to use the D Club prior to departure.

Return, you'll have several lounges available at HKG. I suggest you go to the "GUIDE" sticky and use the Lounge Dashboard post to access the threads on different lounges you'll have access to.

As you are arriving LAX in oneworld Business and departing the same day on a oneworld flight, you will have access to the LAX Admirals Club.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 2:32 pm

FL Lounge Access Denied in JFK

I booked my family on a round trip FC award ticket with a leg operated by AY which only offers 2 class aircraft from JFK.

They were denied access to FL due to the service on the aircraft even though the ticket is A in all other segments including inbound to JFK from CLT.

This is BS...I argued with the AC manager for 15 and she basically told me to deal with it. I am traveling on a different ticket as an EXP on business...so angry. Are they following the rules to the T? Anyone I should bring this up to?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.