Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2013, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Glossary:

500 mile upgrades: earned by Gold and Platinum Elites, can be used to upgrade segments in 500 mile increments of North and Central America, Caribbean flights from Economy to the next class of service.. Read below.

e500: Occasional nickname used for 500 mile upgrades.

Electronic or 500 mile upgrades: non-expiring electronic instruments used for near Americas and Caribbean elite upgrades; please read below.

MTEU: Miles Toward Electronic Upgrades. The MTEU earning year zeroes February 28.

Stickers: Holdover name from when 500 mile upgrades were actual stickers applied to tickets when upgraded.

UDU: Unlimited Domestic Upgrades granted EXP and PRO members in lieu of earning or using 500 mile upgrades. (Consequently, they do not earn “stickers”.)

Related thread: End of Feb insufficient miles for 4 500 mile upgrade stickers (2017). (Requesting "stickers" for incremental MTEU threshold accomplishment.)

NOTE: CHANGES in effect as of 1 January 2017:

Upgrade priority:
  • Elite tier
  • Systemwide and Mileage award upgrades
  • Business Extra and certain Agency upgrade certificates
  • 500-mile / courtesy DODU / UDU upgrades on purchased tickets
  • 500-mile upgrades on PRO, EXP award tickets
  • Last 12 month rolling EAD spend
  • Fare code
  • Date if purchase

Platinum Pro status holders join Executive Platinum members with complimentary "Unlimited Domestic Upgrades / UDU.
  • Usable to upgrade from Economy to next class of service (Not Business to First)
  • Flights 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades*
  • Flights over 500 miles: Complimentary "domestic" (North & Central America, Caribbean) upgrades
  • Upgrade one companion traveling with you on the same flight with 500-mile upgrades*

Companions:
ONE passenger traveling with you can “borrow” your status for upgrade purposes. They do not have to be on the same PNR. When this is done, you’ll not be upgraded unless sufficient upgrade seats become available to upgrade two (or more) people. This link often is broken when the flight control goes to the airport, and it can be reestablished there (e.g. at the gate). A good clue that the link has broken is if you’re #1 or 2 and your companion is significantly below that on the upgrade list, such as #11. Finally, because of IT flaws, the 500 mile upgrades for your traveling companion will by necessity come from your account, even if your companion has their own “stickers”. This has not been true for some time, if your companion has status, the system will try to pull the stickers from the companion's account. If there are not enough stickers, you will have to check-in at the airport to have stickers pulled from your account

For questions about whether to split or consolidate PNRs for itineraries involving multiple parties, please see this thread:
Companion upgrade issues including "link" / split PNR for status etc. (master thread)

Link to aa.com 500 mile upgrades (AKA "stickers") page.

Link to aa.com to "Upgrade your experience".

Print Wikipost

AA "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2019, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by plbonilla
On the three class transcon (specifically LAX->JFK), if I received the complimentary upgrade to business (as a PlatPro), is it possible to upgrade from there to first using miles and cash? My thinking is no, but it seems like a special situation where a domestic is three classes.
Nope, double upgrades have never been possible on any AA 3-class flights (of course not including the very rare instances of oversold cabin rolls or other irrops, etc.).
Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | Hyatt Globalist | HH Diamond | SPG Gold
Is it possible to upgrade a companion on a separate PNR using 500 mile upgrades ?
They are also booked in a different cabin then I am.

Currently booked in First class but my companion is booked on a separate PNR in Main Cabin.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 12:58 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by Shadowfactor
Is it possible to upgrade a companion on a separate PNR using 500 mile upgrades ?

Currently booked in First class but my companion is booked on a separate PNR in Main Cabin.
Yes, my buddy does it for colleagues often and they are always separate PNR’s. I believe you have to ask at the airport, but not 100% sure on that.
Shadowfactor likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's definitely possible to upgrade a companion on a separate PNR, done it oodles of times over the years. You just have to call AA to set it up.

However, I doubt it will be possible in advance in this case as you typically need to be booked in the same cabin to extend upgrade and seating benefits to a companion. However, if the phone agents say no, but you happen to stumble on the rare flight where there are open seats in F at the gate and no one else on the upgrade list, I would certainly ask again at the gate.
Shadowfactor likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | Hyatt Globalist | HH Diamond | SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
It's definitely possible to upgrade a companion on a separate PNR, done it oodles of times over the years. You just have to call AA to set it up.

However, I doubt it will be possible in advance in this case as you typically need to be booked in the same cabin to extend upgrade and seating benefits to a companion. However, if the phone agents say no, but you happen to stumble on the rare flight where there are open seats in F at the gate and no one else on the upgrade list, I would certainly ask again at the gate.
Now that I’m starting to think about it and the route I don’t think they will end up getting upgraded. It’s not a super popular route but I’m sure it’s busy enough as it’s to LAX.

any way to get them MCE/preferred seating if I’m in a different cabin ?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now that I’m starting to think about it and the route I don’t think they will end up getting upgraded. It’s not a super popular route but I’m sure it’s busy enough as it’s to LAX.

any way to get them MCE/preferred seating if I’m in a different cabin ?
No, no way to extend your preferred seating benefits when you're in a different cabin.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Any thoughts why Republic holds back on Elite upgrades until gate departure?

I should have cleared Sunday for a 2 day platinum upgrade for flight 4390 DCA-RDU on a E175 flight.

All 12 seats were open up until departure time.

The American check in agent said it this were the case on a mainline flight, it would have cleared Sunday.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:03 am

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
Originally Posted by chix
Any thoughts why Republic holds back on Elite upgrades until gate departure?
Republic has nothing to do with it. American controls the reservation system and upgrade process.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by GregL
Republic has nothing to do with it. American controls the reservation system and upgrade process.
... and will point their fingers at anyone else they can to avoid having to dig in to solve an issue. Welcome to CSR 2019 (and many years earlier)
Old Mar 14, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
What can be done with 25 or so 500mi upgrade certs in my account. No status anymore and don't plan on getting it either.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carsnoceans
What can be done with 25 or so 500mi upgrade certs in my account. No status anymore and don't plan on getting it either.
Nothing. They never expire, so if you were to gain status again you can use them.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by GregL
Indeed. I fly DCA-SDF & SDF-CLT-DCA on Mondays. Systematically, the first two segments (operated by PSA) clear at T-28 hours (and often the front cabin is entirely empty on each segment until that happens).

But CLT-DCA, operated by Republic, consistently clears at ~T-103 hours even when that upgrade gives me one of the last three or four seats available in the cabin.

It doesn't "make sense" to me that AA would give me the advance upgrade on the theoretically much-harder-to-clear CLT-DCA (and indeed there are often 15-20 or more on the upgrade list at the gate and 0-2 clear). Nor does it "make sense" that AA would withhold it at the 100-hour window on DCA-SDF or SDF-CLT.

But no one said it's supposed to make sense to us!
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:58 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Ok hoping someone can help with my situation. New to AA as I'm currently on a platinum pro gifted challenge.
So next week I'm flying IAH-DFW-AMA with a no status companion on same reservation. I'm pretty sure my upgrades are complimentary since its under 500 miles each segment, but how does it work for my companion? Do I need to buy 500 mile certs? And if so, do I need to buy 2 since its 2 segments? Do we even need the certs for her to get potentially upgraded? Do I need certs to get upgraded?

Any help is appreciated!
Old Mar 21, 2019, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by S.R
Ok hoping someone can help with my situation. New to AA as I'm currently on a platinum pro gifted challenge.
So next week I'm flying IAH-DFW-AMA with a no status companion on same reservation. I'm pretty sure my upgrades are complimentary since its under 500 miles each segment, but how does it work for my companion? Do I need to buy 500 mile certs? And if so, do I need to buy 2 since its 2 segments? Do we even need the certs for her to get potentially upgraded? Do I need certs to get upgraded?

Any help is appreciated!
Yes you'll need 2 certs (1 for companion for each segment) if the upgrades clear, but you can wait until they clear to buy them, at least up until you go to the airport. If you haven't cleared by the time you go to the airport, then you should buy one upgrade (no need to buy two upfront, in case you don't clear IAH-DFW) and carry over to the airport waitlist.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 8:54 am
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Yes you'll need 2 certs (1 for companion for each segment) if the upgrades clear, but you can wait until they clear to buy them, at least up until you go to the airport. If you haven't cleared by the time you go to the airport, then you should buy one upgrade (no need to buy two upfront, in case you don't clear IAH-DFW) and carry over to the airport waitlist.
Thanks! What happens if she does clear the upgrade before we get to the airport, but my account doesn't have any 500 certificates? Would she just get downgraded again? Because these are such short flights (about an hour each) not really sure its worth $40 per segment. And if we uncheck the request upgrade thing on the reservation where it says (1 passenger 500 mile cert for each segment) will that cause me to not get upgraded as well?
And if we both get upgraded but there are no certs in my account will we both be downgraded?

Also, does AA split up reservations if the upgrades don't clear prior to check in? UA does this, so not sure about AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.