Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2013, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Glossary:

500 mile upgrades: earned by Gold and Platinum Elites, can be used to upgrade segments in 500 mile increments of North and Central America, Caribbean flights from Economy to the next class of service.. Read below.

e500: Occasional nickname used for 500 mile upgrades.

Electronic or 500 mile upgrades: non-expiring electronic instruments used for near Americas and Caribbean elite upgrades; please read below.

MTEU: Miles Toward Electronic Upgrades. The MTEU earning year zeroes February 28.

Stickers: Holdover name from when 500 mile upgrades were actual stickers applied to tickets when upgraded.

UDU: Unlimited Domestic Upgrades granted EXP and PRO members in lieu of earning or using 500 mile upgrades. (Consequently, they do not earn “stickers”.)

Related thread: End of Feb insufficient miles for 4 500 mile upgrade stickers (2017). (Requesting "stickers" for incremental MTEU threshold accomplishment.)

NOTE: CHANGES in effect as of 1 January 2017:

Upgrade priority:
  • Elite tier
  • Systemwide and Mileage award upgrades
  • Business Extra and certain Agency upgrade certificates
  • 500-mile / courtesy DODU / UDU upgrades on purchased tickets
  • 500-mile upgrades on PRO, EXP award tickets
  • Last 12 month rolling EAD spend
  • Fare code
  • Date if purchase

Platinum Pro status holders join Executive Platinum members with complimentary "Unlimited Domestic Upgrades / UDU.
  • Usable to upgrade from Economy to next class of service (Not Business to First)
  • Flights 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades*
  • Flights over 500 miles: Complimentary "domestic" (North & Central America, Caribbean) upgrades
  • Upgrade one companion traveling with you on the same flight with 500-mile upgrades*

Companions:
ONE passenger traveling with you can “borrow” your status for upgrade purposes. They do not have to be on the same PNR. When this is done, you’ll not be upgraded unless sufficient upgrade seats become available to upgrade two (or more) people. This link often is broken when the flight control goes to the airport, and it can be reestablished there (e.g. at the gate). A good clue that the link has broken is if you’re #1 or 2 and your companion is significantly below that on the upgrade list, such as #11. Finally, because of IT flaws, the 500 mile upgrades for your traveling companion will by necessity come from your account, even if your companion has their own “stickers”. This has not been true for some time, if your companion has status, the system will try to pull the stickers from the companion's account. If there are not enough stickers, you will have to check-in at the airport to have stickers pulled from your account

For questions about whether to split or consolidate PNRs for itineraries involving multiple parties, please see this thread:
Companion upgrade issues including "link" / split PNR for status etc. (master thread)

Link to aa.com 500 mile upgrades (AKA "stickers") page.

Link to aa.com to "Upgrade your experience".

Print Wikipost

AA "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2022, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Giovanniwants
I got 20 500 mile upgrade coupons from AA a year ago. They just randomly gave them to me because a booking agent changed my flight from a connection to a nonstop and changed my fare class to full fare F (it was an award ticket). AA's system must have thought I purchased a full fare F class ticket from LAX to JFK.

Do I need to gain elite status before I can use these? Also, what now that AA doesn't use the Upgrade Certificates anymore? Thanks.
Yes, you need to be elite in order to use the 500-mi upgrade stickers. Once AA does away with these stickers later this year they are converting them to Loyalty Points at the rate of 250 LP per sticker.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Giovanniwants
I got 20 500 mile upgrade coupons from AA a year ago. They just randomly gave them to me because a booking agent changed my flight from a connection to a nonstop and changed my fare class to full fare F (it was an award ticket). AA's system must have thought I purchased a full fare F class ticket from LAX to JFK.

Do I need to gain elite status before I can use these? Also, what now that AA doesn't use the Upgrade Certificates anymore? Thanks.
They will be converted to 5K Loyalty Points.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yes, you need to be elite in order to use the 500-mi upgrade stickers. Once AA does away with these stickers later this year they are converting them to Loyalty Points at the rate of 250 LP per sticker.
But, they are no longer being used for elite upgrades
If you look at current bookings or future bookings, you will see the upgrades are now auto requested and there is no info on any certificates being needed.

Last edited by mvoight; Mar 11, 2022 at 10:39 pm
Old Mar 31, 2022, 3:19 pm

I booked an Alaska flight and it was canceled today. They put me on an AA flight tomorrow morning and I was told that since it was ticketed through partner then I am not eligible for 500 mile upgrade. Is that true? Once I populated my AAdvantage number onto the new record, it connected to my account on app and it shows the upgrade is requested. Anyone have experience?

Last edited by jamabam; Mar 31, 2022 at 3:20 pm Reason: clarity
Old Mar 31, 2022, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamabam
I booked an Alaska flight and it was canceled today. They put me on an AA flight tomorrow morning and I was told that since it was ticketed through partner then I am not eligible for 500 mile upgrade. Is that true? Once I populated my AAdvantage number onto the new record, it connected to my account on app and it shows the upgrade is requested. Anyone have experience?
No, whoever you talked to had no clue, you should have no problem getting on the upgrade list assuming your AA# is in the new reservation. Done similar things many times when getting rebooked. What you're seeing in the app is accurate.
chrisny2 and jamabam like this.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
No, whoever you talked to had no clue, you should have no problem getting on the upgrade list assuming your AA# is in the new reservation. Done similar things many times when getting rebooked. What you're seeing in the app is accurate.
Awesome thanks.I'm wondering if the rep misunderstood and thought I was asking whether my upgrade on the Alaska flight carries through. Which is a shame that it doesn't, because it was a nice surprise to have gotten that AS upgrade in the first place!
Old Mar 31, 2022, 3:44 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by jamabam
I thought they did away with 500 mile upgrades. Now all elites are eligible for all upgrades?
Old Mar 31, 2022, 10:02 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by RedElmo
I thought they did away with 500 mile upgrades. Now all elites are eligible for all upgrades?
500 mile upgrades still sort of exist for companions. But yes, for all intents and purposes, for the member, length of flight no longer matters.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA - Silver, Hertz-5 star
OK, so I booked a Main Cabin fare today for SFO-DFW-SBN on 09/14/22. I have 6 (500 mile awards in my wallet). Non Elite status so those will not be applies to my trip?

thanks,

Paul
Old Apr 6, 2022, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by Paul510
OK, so I booked a Main Cabin fare today for SFO-DFW-SBN on 09/14/22. I have 6 (500 mile awards in my wallet). Non Elite status so those will not be applies to my trip?

thanks,

Paul
No. If you gain elite status before 9/14 you will be eligible for complimentary upgrades, and if you do not, you’ll need to count on the chance of a paid upgrade being offered.
Paul510 likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
Anyone know when AA will convert the 500 mile upgrades to loyalty points?
Old Apr 6, 2022, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by CLTRob
Anyone know when AA will convert the 500 mile upgrades to loyalty points?
"Later in 2022" is the language used on the AA website. I don't believe we have any more clarity beyond that.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 5:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by njvandy
"Later in 2022" is the language used on the AA website. I don't believe we have any more clarity beyond that.
Will they convert as well for people who currently don't have status?
Old Apr 7, 2022, 10:48 am

what's the fare class that needs to be available for complimentary upgrades? R? can you search it on EF?
Old Apr 7, 2022, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yerffej201
what's the fare class that needs to be available for complimentary upgrades? R? can you search it on EF?
Yes, domestic comp upgrades clear into R. But you cannot search this at EF. EF will show R fares but these are the revenue fare buckets and not valid for upgrades.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.