Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Upgrading AA Fare Code or Class of Service - Upfare / Upfaring (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 25, 2016, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Buying Higher Class of Service Than Ticketed
"Effective December 19, 2012, AA will waive the ticket change charge if customer purchases into a higher cabin (business or first), regardless of booking inventory, on the same routing/same day*. For example, no changes to origin/destination except the change to cabin/flight time is allowed with no ticket change charge. Customer would be responsible for paying the difference in fares. The non-refundable portion of the ticket remains non-refundable and would be handled internally by Refunds when necessary."

- AA Revenue Tickets, Ticket Change

Unlike an upgrade, earnings in EQM etc. should be for the new fare.
*This includes co-terminals as allowed in the detailed fare rules or elsewhere.

Originally Posted by JonNYC
There is no change fee (just the fare difference) to switch to a higher cabin (see below.) But it sounds like the OP might be combining/confusing a few different things.

\
Print Wikipost

Upgrading AA Fare Code or Class of Service - Upfare / Upfaring (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2016, 12:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
No. U were international. The up cabin/up fare to F is for "domestic" (and Canada. And Caribbean)
Rechecking, I believe this is in error-- I see no such restriction. And, since the reference file for same includes:

Applies to:

AA prime flights
AA* operated by any carrier
Any Joint Business Partner prime flight (AY, BA, IB, JL and/or QF)
I can't see how it would then be so restricted.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Called to up-fare an Economy ticket to First using our corporate discount, and reservations redirected me to meeting services to get it done as they don't have access to the discounts apparently. The meetings services agent was able to look up and price our negotiated rate in First, but charged a $50 "re-ticketing" fee because the original Economy ticket was booked through our corporate system.

I realize that this is not the change fee per se, but has anyone else had experience with this and is this fee correct? I thought up-faring to First charged only difference in fare, no fees.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 2:32 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, AA Plat Pro, DL Gold, UA*S, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by JohnDCA
Called to up-fare an Economy ticket to First using our corporate discount, and reservations redirected me to meeting services to get it done as they don't have access to the discounts apparently. The meetings services agent was able to look up and price our negotiated rate in First, but charged a $50 "re-ticketing" fee because the original Economy ticket was booked through our corporate system.

I realize that this is not the change fee per se, but has anyone else had experience with this and is this fee correct? I thought up-faring to First charged only difference in fare, no fees.
I've heard of this fee before. I think the idea is that they've already paid your travel agent a commission to service your ticket in their stead. Would your corporate TA not do the change for you?
Old Sep 12, 2016, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA CK EXP 3MM, National EE, Hertz Plat

I have Meeting Service tickets as well. I up fare a lot and have never been charged. Every so often they mention it and then something to the effect it's waived for you. Have been doing this as a PLT EXP and now EXP and CK. Never actually been charged.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Rus925
I've heard of this fee before. I think the idea is that they've already paid your travel agent a commission to service your ticket in their stead. Would your corporate TA not do the change for you?
That sounds right as it came up as "External Reservation Handling Service." Assumed it would also be waive as I'm up-faring to F on the same flights.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That sounds right as it came up as "External Reservation Handling Service." Assumed it would also be waive as I'm up-faring to F on the same flights.
I think AA also charges for agent-assisted seat assignment changes if the ticket was purchased through an external channel. Similar idea here I suppose. Wouldn't your alternative be to buy up to the published (publicly-available) first class fare? Would that end up costing you more or less than the $50 fee? I guess you can decide which is better for you.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
I think AA also charges for agent-assisted seat assignment changes if the ticket was purchased through an external channel. Similar idea here I suppose. Wouldn't your alternative be to buy up to the published (publicly-available) first class fare? Would that end up costing you more or less than the $50 fee? I guess you can decide which is better for you.
Yes, but it was still less doing it this way.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, but it was still less doing it this way.
OK, so you had your cake, but you just couldn't eat it too.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 7:01 am

Programs: AA EXP
I recently discovered a first class fare that was ~$100 less than the amount I paid for a coach fare. I called AA and asked to purchase the first fare. The phone agent (after realizing I didn't want to upgrade with miles) said "OK, I see why you're doing this. Let me process a voucher for the difference." After being on hold for a bit, he came back and said that since the fare was less in first, he had to charge the change fee even though I was changing cabins.

My question: has anyone heard of this before? Should I have HUCA-ed, or is this an actual rule? Too late for this trip in my case, but it would be good to know for the future.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 10:35 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by EDnearJQF
I recently discovered a first class fare that was ~$100 less than the amount I paid for a coach fare. I called AA and asked to purchase the first fare. The phone agent (after realizing I didn't want to upgrade with miles) said "OK, I see why you're doing this. Let me process a voucher for the difference." After being on hold for a bit, he came back and said that since the fare was less in first, he had to charge the change fee even though I was changing cabins.

My question: has anyone heard of this before? Should I have HUCA-ed, or is this an actual rule? Too late for this trip in my case, but it would be good to know for the future.
IIRC-If you carefully read the published fare rules for your coach ticket, you should find that the description of 'when we will charge a change fee' includes things like 'date' and 'flight' and 'routing'- but does not include 'cabin' nor 'class of service'. Since the rule doesn't explicitly say there will be a fee for changing cabin, this should not have been charged.

Oh, it isnt too late either- a ticketing charge error can be corrected after the flight is flown. Although given AA CS these days, it will be a slog.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 2:53 pm

I have done the upfare to First Class several times, and have always been awarded EQMs based on the new First Class fare code. Did so on a recent flight, was given EQMs for original coach fare, and several AAdvantage Customer Service reps have told me that you get EQMs based on the original fare.

I was under the impression that the ticket was reissued into a whole new First Class fare class and EQMs were awarded as such. Is that not the policy in everyone's experience?
Old Oct 25, 2016, 3:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you paid the fare difference to 1st class, then you should earn as per 1st class

Perhaps the way you described it to agents, made them think it was some form of upgrade other than fare difference
Old Oct 25, 2016, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG GLD, Starbucks (SBUX) Super Duper Executive Gold Global Priority Platinum Prestige
I have done the upfare to First Class several times, and have always been awarded EQMs based on the new First Class fare code. Did so on a recent flight, was given EQMs for original coach fare, and several AAdvantage Customer Service reps have told me that you get EQMs based on the original fare.

I was under the impression that the ticket was reissued into a whole new First Class fare class and EQMs were awarded as such. Is that not the policy in everyone's experience?
Could also be that the agent looked at the fare basis (maybe your ticket was Y-Up) and erroneously assumed booking code was Y instead of whichever business booking code you up-fared to. This happened to me, so the agent had to speak to her supervisor to get clarification. She later correctly credited me my business EQMs
Old Oct 25, 2016, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver

This is correct - you should earn as per the fare bucket you are ticketed in. If you paid to book into A class for example, then first earnings.

As indicated by Dave Noble, if things don't post correctly in such situations, when chasing up never use words/terms such as upfare, upgrade etc. and avoid reference to any changed booking. Simply state you booked in revenue First, have travelled and it has not credited correctly.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by serfty
This is correct - you should earn as per the fare bucket you are ticketed in. If you paid to book into A class for example, then first earnings.

As indicated by Dave Noble, if things don't post correctly in such situations, when chasing up never use words/terms such as upfare, upgrade etc. and avoid reference to any changed booking. Simply state you booked in revenue First, have travelled and it has not credited correctly.
Thank you very much for the insight. Called five more times and finally got an agent who understood the situation!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.