Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Upgrading AA Fare Code or Class of Service - Upfare / Upfaring (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 25, 2016, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Buying Higher Class of Service Than Ticketed
"Effective December 19, 2012, AA will waive the ticket change charge if customer purchases into a higher cabin (business or first), regardless of booking inventory, on the same routing/same day*. For example, no changes to origin/destination except the change to cabin/flight time is allowed with no ticket change charge. Customer would be responsible for paying the difference in fares. The non-refundable portion of the ticket remains non-refundable and would be handled internally by Refunds when necessary."

- AA Revenue Tickets, Ticket Change

Unlike an upgrade, earnings in EQM etc. should be for the new fare.
*This includes co-terminals as allowed in the detailed fare rules or elsewhere.

Originally Posted by JonNYC
There is no change fee (just the fare difference) to switch to a higher cabin (see below.) But it sounds like the OP might be combining/confusing a few different things.

\
Print Wikipost

Upgrading AA Fare Code or Class of Service - Upfare / Upfaring (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2010, 7:38 pm

How to force higher fare class?

I am helping a friend try to complete a platinum challenge (NYC-GIG roundtrip). We are having no problem getting a fare class that earns 1 point/mile on the way down but on the way back we haven't been able to find a relatively cheap one without terrible layovers (the convenient flights are all cheap and with lower fare classes).

Is there any way to force AA.com to give a higher fare class? Or perhaps a way to use a creative routing to generate a higher fare class?
Old Jan 6, 2010, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by bquinif
I am helping a friend try to complete a platinum challenge (NYC-GIG roundtrip). We are having no problem getting a fare class that earns 1 point/mile on the way down but on the way back we haven't been able to find a relatively cheap one without terrible layovers (the convenient flights are all cheap and with lower fare classes).

Is there any way to force AA.com to give a higher fare class? Or perhaps a way to use a creative routing to generate a higher fare class?
If you use Search by Price and Schedule, you should get a selection (albeit incomplete) of fare classes.

You can always book an undesirable routing online, put it on hold and then call to change it to the appropriate fare class and routing.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 8:04 pm

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
Have you tried putting the itinerary on hold, and then calling AA to have them "upfare" it to a level that will give the 1.5 EQP? I am pretty sure I saw someone reference a thread that details that procedure (not that it should be tough to do), but I can not come across it. I seem to be search challenged.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by genotonda
Have you tried putting the itinerary on hold, and then calling AA to have them "upfare" it to a level that will give the 1.5 EQP?
Call the number on the back of your AAdvantage card.

'Hi. I have a reservation on hold. It's locator ABC123. I'd like to upfare that to a class that earns 1.5eqm/mile round-trip. How much? Yes, that's good. Thank you. No, don't ticket it. I will do that online.'
Old Jan 6, 2010, 8:53 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Some also put the fare on 24 hour hold and then call Web Services, get the ticket upfared, then purchase on aa.com.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA Gold
definitely worth putting the itinerary on hold and calling up AA. i have tried a few times to upfare from S on an EZE-JFK leg purchased a couple weeks ago so that I complete a platinum challenge. while each agent I've spoken to on the phone has been happy to find the next highest fare, each has refused drop the $200 change fee associated with upping the booking code...
Old Jan 7, 2010, 5:01 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by sweeper25
definitely worth putting the itinerary on hold and calling up AA. i have tried a few times to upfare from S on an EZE-JFK leg purchased a couple weeks ago so that I complete a platinum challenge. while each agent I've spoken to on the phone has been happy to find the next highest fare, each has refused drop the $200 change fee associated with upping the booking code...
This is one of the more stupid rules, but it does seem pretty consistently enforced. "Hi, I want to give you more money." 'OK, in order for you to have the right to give us more money, you have to give us some additional money up front." 'What choo talkin' bout, Willis?"

Cheers.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 6:48 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage; Carlson Goldpoints.
Calling for upfare vs. checking on the net...

Hi.

I understand that AA.com will ticket at the lowest possible price.

And, I understand why someone may choose to pay a higher fare (to earn more EQPs.)

What I'm not sure of: so many people suggest booking a cheapie fare, putting it on "hold", and *calling* AA to find the lowest price that would produce more points.

Can't you do that already by just running the itineray twice on AA.com, once specifying restricted coach, and the next restricted business class? Or, does calling tend to get a lower "upgrade" fare?
Old Jan 7, 2010, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by negs
Hi.

And, I understand why someone may choose to pay a higher fare (to earn more EQPs.)

What I'm not sure of: so many people suggest booking a cheapie fare, putting it on "hold", and *calling* AA to find the lowest price that would produce more points.

Can't you do that already by just running the itineray twice on AA.com, once specifying restricted coach, and the next restricted business class? Or, does calling tend to get a lower "upgrade" fare?
There may be (and usually is) a range of fares between restricted coach and restricted business. There is no way to display them all on aa.com.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 7:23 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by negs
Hi.

There are multiple fares within each category, not all of which are available on AA.com for any given itinerary:

http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...ility_%28AA%29
Old Jan 7, 2010, 7:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sweeper25
The change fee is $250.00 not $200.00

mike
Old Jan 7, 2010, 11:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by JDiver
Some also put the fare on 24 hour hold and then call Web Services, get the ticket upfared, then purchase on aa.com.
Don't forget that you cannot put an itinerary on hold that includes any segments with a different airline's flight number. (for example, AA codeshare flight#s operated by BA are ok to hold, but an itin with the same flight under a BA # cannot be put on hold)
Old Apr 26, 2010, 5:15 pm

How to Change Booking Class

Is there a way to change AA booking class other than calling?
Old Apr 26, 2010, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OW Emerald
Originally Posted by douwd20
Is there a way to change AA booking class other than calling?
Other than canceling your online reservation, taking the cancellation fee hit and starting again, not that I'm aware. The AAgents are very nice, tell them what fare class you want to upgrade to (I presume it is an upgrade to get better mileage/points earning), and you pay the difference. I've never been charged a booking fee doing this either.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Wow, four years, first post!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.