Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Upgrading AA Fare Code or Class of Service - Upfare / Upfaring (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 25, 2016, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Buying Higher Class of Service Than Ticketed
"Effective December 19, 2012, AA will waive the ticket change charge if customer purchases into a higher cabin (business or first), regardless of booking inventory, on the same routing/same day*. For example, no changes to origin/destination except the change to cabin/flight time is allowed with no ticket change charge. Customer would be responsible for paying the difference in fares. The non-refundable portion of the ticket remains non-refundable and would be handled internally by Refunds when necessary."

- AA Revenue Tickets, Ticket Change

Unlike an upgrade, earnings in EQM etc. should be for the new fare.
*This includes co-terminals as allowed in the detailed fare rules or elsewhere.

Originally Posted by JonNYC
There is no change fee (just the fare difference) to switch to a higher cabin (see below.) But it sounds like the OP might be combining/confusing a few different things.

\
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2016, 2:09 pm
Suspended

definitely agree with the majority here:

upcabin1 by JonNYCme, on Flickr
Old Nov 30, 2016, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Do you have the corresponding star file (N*) so we can direct agents to this information?

Originally Posted by JonNYC
definitely agree with the majority here:

upcabin1 by JonNYCme, on Flickr
Old Dec 1, 2016, 1:17 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
I second the recommendations to get a refund of the change fee ASAP while the record is still active and travel hasn't yet commenced.

Originally Posted by Herb687
Do you have the corresponding star file (N*) so we can direct agents to this information?
It should be in reference file TICKET CHANGE (or something to that effect), however I don't believe that information for reservations agents is technically stored in Sabre stars anymore since AA as a whole has been transitioning to a web-based system.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 8:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
...It should be in reference file TICKET CHANGE (or something to that effect), however I don't believe that information for reservations agents is technically stored in Sabre stars anymore since AA as a whole has been transitioning to a web-based system.
Ahhh, that explains it, thanks! ^
Old Jan 13, 2017, 5:28 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA 1K, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat
No Elite Mileage Bonus for upfare?

I fly for work and my company will only book economy. I will usually pay the difference to "upfare" to First. This is a fully paid upgrade not using stickers. I'm EP, but with my upgrade rate on the longer leg approaching zero as of the end of last year I have decided to just pay for it.

My itinerary is LAS - DFW- MFE round trip. In economy this would get 3110 elite miles. In First it would be 6220.

On my last trip I was initially booked in L class. I paid to upfare to "A" in First, and A class is listed on my receipt.

After completing the trip I was only granted 3110 elite miles. Upon writing to AA, they state that "elite miles are awarded only on basis of ORIGINAL cabin booked, and not on the upgraded fare".

Is this correct? If I've paid to get booked into "A" fare class, why can't I get 2.0 elite miles per mile flown as per the current chart?
Old Jan 13, 2017, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by GeneralVeers
I fly for work and my company will only book economy. I will usually pay the difference to "upfare" to First. This is a fully paid upgrade not using stickers. I'm EP, but with my upgrade rate on the longer leg approaching zero as of the end of last year I have decided to just pay for it.

My itinerary is LAS - DFW- MFE round trip. In economy this would get 3110 elite miles. In First it would be 6220.

On my last trip I was initially booked in L class. I paid to upfare to "A" in First, and A class is listed on my receipt.

After completing the trip I was only granted 3110 elite miles. Upon writing to AA, they state that "elite miles are awarded only on basis of ORIGINAL cabin booked, and not on the upgraded fare".

Is this correct? If I've paid to get booked into "A" fare class, why can't I get 2.0 elite miles per mile flown as per the current chart?
Yes that is correct. You only get awarded miles based on your original fare booked which in your case is Economy class. The miles+copay only lets you enjoy the comforts of First without the receiving the miles benefit of First.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
Yes that is correct. You only get awarded miles based on your original fare booked which in your case is Economy class. The miles+copay only lets you enjoy the comforts of First without the receiving the miles benefit of First.
No, it's not. He's referring to un upfare, not an upgrade. Paying the fare difference and changing the ticket to an A fare should net you the "A" class mileage.

The AAgent is wrong (unless they changed this very recently.)
Old Jan 13, 2017, 6:15 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by ericdabbs
The OP upfared. That is different than miles + $. Based upon this master thread

miles are typically awarded for the class of service. The OP should contact CS for the additional miles. This will probably get merged by the mods.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 6:48 am

Programs: AA EXP
I agree that you should have received the double miles. I'm assuming this miscalculation is less likely to happen now that "A" is not being used for discount paid F as well as upgrades.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 7:14 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
With 26 letters of the English alphabet (and 24 in the Greek alphabet) airlines, AA included, should not have to use same letter code for two different purposes.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 7:35 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by nrr
With 26 letters of the English alphabet (and 24 in the Greek alphabet) airlines, AA included, should not have to use same letter code for two different purposes.
In general they seem to be able to handle the difference between fare and class without issue. They didn't manage it here.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 8:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG GLD, Starbucks (SBUX) Super Duper Executive Gold Global Priority Platinum Prestige
Originally Posted by Djokison
No, it's not. He's referring to un upfare, not an upgrade. Paying the fare difference and changing the ticket to an A fare should net you the "A" class mileage.

The AAgent is wrong (unless they changed this very recently.)
For all the times I've upfared, AA has credited me economy miles when booked into 'A' but first class miles when booked into 'I'. Does anyone know why this might be the case?
Old Jan 13, 2017, 8:33 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
The same thing happened to me last year. When I wrote in using the CR website, I made it very clear that it was not an upgrade, but an upfare. They rectified the problem about a week after I sent in the notice without any further contact.

I would try again and make it clear that it was upfare and not upgrade.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 8:46 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by nrr
You might think that but see http://www.cwsi.net/aa.htm
Old Feb 1, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by EDnearJQF
I recently discovered a first class fare that was ~$100 less than the amount I paid for a coach fare. I called AA and asked to purchase the first fare. The phone agent (after realizing I didn't want to upgrade with miles) said "OK, I see why you're doing this. Let me process a voucher for the difference." After being on hold for a bit, he came back and said that since the fare was less in first, he had to charge the change fee even though I was changing cabins.

My question: has anyone heard of this before? Should I have HUCA-ed, or is this an actual rule? Too late for this trip in my case, but it would be good to know for the future.
Had same experience. Fare in First less than what I paid for Coach. Same routing, but slightly later flight. I was told that it was because I was not upfaring on exact same flights, but thought if route/date was the same this change was allowed without a change fee.

Has anyone else had experience with this? Are you no longer allowed to change flight times when upfaring, or is it because the fare was less than what I paid for Coach?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.