Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Upgrading AA Fare Code or Class of Service - Upfare / Upfaring (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 25, 2016, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Buying Higher Class of Service Than Ticketed
"Effective December 19, 2012, AA will waive the ticket change charge if customer purchases into a higher cabin (business or first), regardless of booking inventory, on the same routing/same day*. For example, no changes to origin/destination except the change to cabin/flight time is allowed with no ticket change charge. Customer would be responsible for paying the difference in fares. The non-refundable portion of the ticket remains non-refundable and would be handled internally by Refunds when necessary."

- AA Revenue Tickets, Ticket Change

Unlike an upgrade, earnings in EQM etc. should be for the new fare.
*This includes co-terminals as allowed in the detailed fare rules or elsewhere.

Originally Posted by JonNYC
There is no change fee (just the fare difference) to switch to a higher cabin (see below.) But it sounds like the OP might be combining/confusing a few different things.

\
Print Wikipost

Upgrading AA Fare Code or Class of Service - Upfare / Upfaring (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2013, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xero
SFO :: aa+ /f bc=Y|bc=B|bc=H|bc=K|bc=L|bc=W|bc=V|bc=F|bc=A|bc=P| bc=J|bc=D|bc=I
JFK :: aa+ /f bc=Y|bc=B|bc=H|bc=K|bc=L|bc=W|bc=V|bc=F|bc=A|bc=P| bc=J|bc=D|bc=I
Outstanding tip!

However, you forgot "M" (domestically it fits between "K" and "L"), and, on long-hauls, "R" (fits between "J" and "D").

See https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...s/american.jsp
Old Sep 2, 2013, 6:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Originally Posted by hillrider
You forgot "M" (domestically it fits between "K" and "L"), and, on long-hauls, "R" (fits between "J" and "D").

See https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...s/american.jsp
Oops, fixed!

Thanks!
Old Sep 2, 2013, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by clacko
why do you want the higher fare?
Required for certain upgrades, such as Biz Extraa.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by diver858
Required for certain upgrades, such as Biz Extraa.
I've booked a number of these. I second just putting an itin on hold and calling AA to upfare.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by Xero
Put the fare on hold and call AA.com to upfare. You'll still be able to purchase the ticket online.

But if you want to find the lowest fare yourself, another option is to use the ITA matrix to search out itineraries:
http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

Let's say you are looking for SFO-JFK and back and want to avoid G, Q, N, O, S. Here is what you enter:

SFO :: aa+ /f bc=Y|bc=B|bc=H|bc=K|bc=M|bc=L|bc=W|bc=V|bc=F|bc=A| bc=P|bc=J|bc=D|bc=I
JFK :: aa+ /f bc=Y|bc=B|bc=H|bc=K|bc=M|bc=L|bc=W|bc=V|bc=F|bc=A| bc=P|bc=J|bc=D|bc=I

Go to AA.com and match the flight times. After you put the itinerary old hold call AA up to upfare.

Clunky? Yes, but it gets the job done.
Yes, but it's not really necessary to search all of those fares. AA.com will show you the lowest coach, business, and first fares available. If OP is seeing deep discounted coach offered, all higher coach fares will also be available. So OP really only has to search for the minimum fare required for whatever he or she wants to do.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
Yes, but it's not really necessary to search all of those fares. AA.com will show you the lowest coach, business, and first fares available. If OP is seeing deep discounted coach offered, all higher coach fares will also be available. So OP really only has to search for the minimum fare required for whatever he or she wants to do.
I presume that the OP might also want to know how much such an upfare might cost. And it's faster to do so on the web, especially if he/she has multiple destinations in mind.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by hillrider
I presume that the OP might also want to know how much such an upfare might cost. And it's faster to do so on the web, especially if he/she has multiple destinations in mind.
Yes, but I mean of the fares that earn 1.0 EQP for example, V class is the lowest. If that's good enough, there's no need to search for ALL of AA's fares above that.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 12:23 am

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Yes, but I mean of the fares that earn 1.0 EQP for example, V class is the lowest. If that's good enough, there's no need to search for ALL of AA's fares above that.
Right. I always reserve online with whatever economy fare aa.com gives me, then I call to upfare to V to get full mileage credit. I've done this a number of times and the telephone agent is readily agreeable (some sound like they expect what I going to say as soon as I mention "upfare").
Old Sep 3, 2013, 1:13 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by crAAzy
Does anyone know how to avoid the dreaded deep discount booking codes in coach on AA.com? Even all those "Choice Plus" and "Choice Essential" options still appear to book in the same booking code as "Choice"

In other words, is there any other way to book a coach fare without the deep discount code?
As this question relates directly to upfaring, it has been merged along with all of its responses into the consolidated thread on the subject.

~Moderator
Old Sep 3, 2013, 8:50 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
Right, but maybe the OP wants the lowest possible fare and has some level of flexibility. Also, I've noticed instances when upfaring when the lowest 1.0 EQM fare was at a different time of the day. In addition, I've noticed that V is not always the cheapest of the 1.0 earning fares. It's like how you occasionally see Q fares cheaper than O fares.

This is to help ensure that the OP gets the lowest 1.0 earning fare possible.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, SPG GLD
Thanks for the responses and assistance. I tried searching but was not aware of the term "upfaring"

For those who were curious as to why I inquired ... I still have several tickets to buy this year and I'm tying to figure out the best way to cross over 100,000 Q points again since I'm just returning from an AOWE4.

Specifically one ticket MKE-MIA the weekend of Sept 27th the "Choice" fares are running $500-$600 per ticket while the first class fares are running $1300-$1400 RT. Normally choice fares run $300-$600 RT with first class fares running $600-$800 for this route.

Unfortunately it seems AA is resigned completely eliminate the 757s from ORD and thus a plethora of 738s on this route with 150 seats in total and only 16 F seats - at least until they start adding widebodies back for the Winter. I can't bring myself to pay $1400 per F seat to MIA in October (maybe around the holidays, but not in Oct.) so if I'm going to be paying $500-$600 per ticket I don't want to be getting 0.5 Q points when I could have paid a bit more for a full 1.0 Q point.

I probably would have not had a problem getting to EXP without a mileage run or doing this extra work investigating the rest of my tickets if I had realized the new AA.com seems to default to those fare codes no matter the price earlier. The price of falling off the FT Wagon for a while ... LOL.

Thanks again!
Old Sep 4, 2013, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1M, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz President Circle
I just got off the phone with a really awesome platinum line person (wonder if it was an EXP pickup), who basically explained if you keep the exact same flight details, you can ask the agent to upgrade your fare class "i.e. upfaring". By using, EF you can figure out the cost difference before you even execute it.

E.g. I had a flight from CMI-ORD-EWR (and back) where the fare class was G/G/G/G, and to up it to G/P/P/G (ORD-EWR is a CR7) the cost went from $420 to $1220. No change fee (even though the G fare is pretty restrictive pair).

The agent stated the key thing that needs to be said is that you don't want to change your flight details just need to upgrade the fare class and if you know the classes tell them.

+-ADT
Old Sep 16, 2013, 12:44 am

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
For domestic routes, I'm finding "V" fares (or anything earning 1.0 Q miles) are typically twice as much as, say, "O" fares ( or anything earning 0.5 Q miles). Is this typical?
Old Sep 16, 2013, 12:50 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
All AA marketed flights earn 1 elite qualifying mile per mile flown (plus elite minimums if applicable). So V and O are identical in that respect. If you're needing points, that's a different matter. I'm not accustomed to V being double O though; having examples would be most useful.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 1:06 am

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Microwave
All AA marketed flights earn 1 elite qualifying mile per mile flown (plus elite minimums if applicable). So V and O are identical in that respect. If you're needing points, that's a different matter. I'm not accustomed to V being double O though; having examples would be most useful.
An example (at time of typing): LAX-BOS r/t 10/16-10/23.
Lowest fare at aa.com is an O one at $338.
Using ITA Matrix, the lowest 1.0 EQP fare is a V one at $854.

That's pretty tough.

Last edited by Oakshadow; Sep 16, 2013 at 1:12 am Reason: EQM-EQP

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.