Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Upgrading AA Fare Code or Class of Service - Upfare / Upfaring (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 25, 2016, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Buying Higher Class of Service Than Ticketed
"Effective December 19, 2012, AA will waive the ticket change charge if customer purchases into a higher cabin (business or first), regardless of booking inventory, on the same routing/same day*. For example, no changes to origin/destination except the change to cabin/flight time is allowed with no ticket change charge. Customer would be responsible for paying the difference in fares. The non-refundable portion of the ticket remains non-refundable and would be handled internally by Refunds when necessary."

- AA Revenue Tickets, Ticket Change

Unlike an upgrade, earnings in EQM etc. should be for the new fare.
*This includes co-terminals as allowed in the detailed fare rules or elsewhere.

Originally Posted by JonNYC
There is no change fee (just the fare difference) to switch to a higher cabin (see below.) But it sounds like the OP might be combining/confusing a few different things.

\
Print Wikipost

Upgrading AA Fare Code or Class of Service - Upfare / Upfaring (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2013, 11:16 am

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
Originally Posted by Upgraded!
This was my experience as well, albeit for domestic tickets (I know the OP said it's an int'l itin). Sometimes the agents are unaware of this but this is now the rule. I believe it changed when change fees went away for all domestic F tickets.

I remember my GF needing to change a coach ticket which cost something like $450 and my figuring out that it was actually cheaper to upfare to F, which was about $565, then change for free, rather than pay another $150 only to stay in coach. Perhaps the best deal I've ever located .
Isn't the date change precluded by these terms? If so up faring then waiting a day to change travel dates seems like a big loophole.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by fanger
Isn't the date change precluded by these terms? If so up faring then waiting a day to change travel dates seems like a big loophole.
No need to wait a day. It was all done on the same phone call.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 8:17 am
KPT

Programs: JAL Sapphire
Originally Posted by Xero
Unfortunately, no, you have to pay the change fee.

Will your company allow you to add choice essential for $34 each way? It removes all change fees and you can use the entire credit (including the $34) towards a new ticket.
Do purchases for MCE also count towards the new ticket, or are those purely non-refundable? (Alternatively, could I upfare into a higher economy tier and keep the MCE seats?)
Old Jun 16, 2013, 9:22 am

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by KPT
Do purchases for MCE also count towards the new ticket, or are those purely non-refundable? (Alternatively, could I upfare into a higher economy tier and keep the MCE seats?)
I doubt that the MCE purchase would count, unless you'd initially obtained MCE by purchasing a "choice" fare which included it (not sure whether any do or not). I don't, however, see any reason why your MCE seat wouldn't hold if you upfared into a higher economy inventory, particularly if you did it over the phone and explained the situation.

However your profile says you are PLT, can I assume you're asking this as a hypothetical, since you should get MCE for no additional cost?
Old Jun 16, 2013, 9:27 am
KPT

Programs: JAL Sapphire
I'm an Admirer, not yet Plat
I'm thinking of doing the challenge rather soon, so I'd like to do so at as small a cost as possible, and if that involves upfaring fares that my employer pays for, I'm down for that
Old Jun 17, 2013, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by KPT
MCE is fully refundable if you do not use it. For example, if you UG to Business or First you can file for a refund on the amount you paid for the MCE seat. Just file for a refund on AA's refunds site with your ticket number.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 1:46 pm

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
I'm considering purchasing a fare with the outbound in J and inbound in Y with a waitlisted SWU (the reason for the J purchase outbound is to upgrade to F). If about 2 weeks prior to travel it's not looking good on the return, I'll ask for an upfare to J. Would this qualify for a fee waiver under the above rule?

Another related question: if in the above itinerary, I use a heavily discounted I-fare for the outbound portion in J which has expired by the time I need to do the upfare for the return segment (which will be after the outbound is flown), will AA use the expired discounted I-fare as the fare basis for the upfare, or will it be repriced at current prices? Usually when changing the return segment after flying the outbound, the historical fare is used, even when expiring - just want to know if the same rule applies for upfaring.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 8:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA, AA, Hyatt, Marriott
how can I buy V class on AA.com?

I am on a challenge and I need fly V or above to meet EQP requirement. But on AA.com I can't find V class ticket. How should I do?
Old Aug 26, 2013, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Find the flight you want and put it hold, then call AA and ask the agent to upfare it to "V"
Old Aug 26, 2013, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Correct. I do this all the time. CS is always available to do this. One caution: be sure to put it on hold rather than ticketing; did this in error once and had to pay a change fee + the upfare cost.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:32 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Merged with our existing thread re: upfaring. /Moderator
Old Aug 27, 2013, 1:08 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by Hyperacusis
I'm considering purchasing a fare with the outbound in J and inbound in Y with a waitlisted SWU (the reason for the J purchase outbound is to upgrade to F). If about 2 weeks prior to travel it's not looking good on the return, I'll ask for an upfare to J. Would this qualify for a fee waiver under the above rule?

Another related question: if in the above itinerary, I use a heavily discounted I-fare for the outbound portion in J which has expired by the time I need to do the upfare for the return segment (which will be after the outbound is flown), will AA use the expired discounted I-fare as the fare basis for the upfare, or will it be repriced at current prices? Usually when changing the return segment after flying the outbound, the historical fare is used, even when expiring - just want to know if the same rule applies for upfaring.
Interesting question... most AA agents are clueless as well. I've see two rules- one where you get slammed if you change it prior to departure and you need to reprice ALL segments....of course there is no I for the outbound, and maybe only D for all of it, and that LAX-LHR-LAX goes from $3600 to $6800.

But looking at a sample I4NAJB, even if you change before flying the first segment, you will pay a change fee associated with the return leg and then only the new fare for that leg..the first segment is priced using historical fares.

Dont be surprised to spend an hour telling the agent she needs to ask the rate people again...and you really need to have copies of the rules for the fares. IMO

GL

A.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, SPG GLD
How to avoid G, Q, N, O, S on AA.com

Does anyone know how to avoid the dreaded deep discount booking codes in coach on AA.com? Even all those "Choice Plus" and "Choice Essential" options still appear to book in the same booking code as "Choice"

In other words, is there any other way to book a coach fare without the deep discount code?
Old Sep 2, 2013, 6:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Put the fare on hold and call AA.com to upfare. You'll still be able to purchase the ticket online.

But if you want to find the lowest fare yourself, another option is to use the ITA matrix to search out itineraries:
http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

Let's say you are looking for SFO-JFK and back and want to avoid G, Q, N, O, S. Here is what you enter:

SFO :: aa+ /f bc=Y|bc=B|bc=H|bc=K|bc=M|bc=L|bc=W|bc=V|bc=F|bc=A| bc=P|bc=J|bc=D|bc=I
JFK :: aa+ /f bc=Y|bc=B|bc=H|bc=K|bc=M|bc=L|bc=W|bc=V|bc=F|bc=A| bc=P|bc=J|bc=D|bc=I

Go to AA.com and match the flight times. After you put the itinerary old hold call AA up to upfare.

Clunky? Yes, but it gets the job done.

Last edited by Xero; Sep 2, 2013 at 6:50 pm
Old Sep 2, 2013, 6:44 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
Originally Posted by crAAzy
Does anyone know how to avoid the dreaded deep discount booking codes in coach on AA.com? Even all those "Choice Plus" and "Choice Essential" options still appear to book in the same booking code as "Choice"

In other words, is there any other way to book a coach fare without the deep discount code?
why do you want the higher fare? 1 eqp/ base mi perhaps?

as mentioned above, put it on hold &call to up fare.

i've only done it when family was doing a challenge....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.