Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA FRA 2009 manifest - who's on board? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2009, 11:54 am

Programs: EXP 1MM
No thanks!

Not sure a MR is what I need right now - more likely I need a readjustment to US time and recovery from severe jet lag.

Program to Date Miles 1,165,869
YTD Elite Qualifying Points 27,042
YTD Elite Qualifying Miles 23,199
YTD Elite Qualifying Segments 9

And a LHR-RDU segment still to post.

J...
Old Jan 24, 2009, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kebosabi
Counting elite bonus miles, it comes down to 1.99 CPM. Now it's just the thought of what I'm supposed to do for the long 9 hour layover at DFW! I was thinking about renting a car and going over to the CR Smith Museum that I always wanted to go.
You could go to Grapevine Mills for some shopping or the Museum you mentioned ! Even the Galleria.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 12:17 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, SkyMiles
There was a question about airside connections between C (where AA operates) and D/E (in Terminal 2, where oneworld partners BA, Iberia, and LAN, among others, are located). I believe the inter-terminal automated rail thingie also operates airside--at least there are boarding areas set up for this and they keep track of which way they have the doors open, using the same track as landside trains. I have never taken the train airside, and it is probably not easy to find where to access the boarding area--the general traffic flow is set up to herd you towards baggage claim, and if you make it there, you have gone too far to stay airside.

Also, someone was worried about what to tell immigration regarding a 3-hour stay in Germany. Normally, German immigration officers don't ask any questions. They just look at your passport, enter the number into their computer to see if there are any warrants for your arrest, and if not, they stamp it and let you in.

Another thing to note is that the weekend of 21-22 Feb is carnival weekend in the Roman Catholic parts of Germany (along the Rhine and near Munich). If you decide to venture landside, there is a 30-minute commuter train connection to the city of Mainz, where there will be a lot of street partying and very busy bars, etc. On Monday the 23d, there is also a huge parade, and thousands of people will be pouring in from the surrounding area to take part in the festivities. The parade and partying in Cologne (just an hour by high-speed train from the airport) is even bigger and more gregarious.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, SPG Gold
BOS-ORD-FRA
2/14-2/16 (first international MR, so thought I would stay overnight)
2/21-2/22
3/21-3/22 (on hold)
Old Jan 24, 2009, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
Question Some questions too?

DFW-FRA 2/21 FRA-DFW 2/22

Same on hold for 2/28-3/01, though I might be able to bump up the "to" flights to 2/27 if I wanted to overnight there.

Some questions before doing that:

When you pass through immigration you are outside of security, right?

Can you get the boarding pass at 24 hours before the flight, and thus get inside security during the day you are hanging around?

Can you get to other OW lounges (especially BA Terraces Lounge), and will they let you in the calendar day before?

Thanks,

Steve
Old Jan 24, 2009, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
I would argue it is imperitive anyone going to FRA for a MR to drink one beer. So that when explaining the trip, you can say "I went to Germany to have a beer".
Old Jan 24, 2009, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Any suggestion on what to do for 1 day?

will do ORD-FRA 2/13 & returning Sunday the 15th. This will be a Valentines day surprise for my wife. Where to stay? and eat.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA EP; Bonvoy Platinum: Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by KD5MDK
I would argue it is imperitive anyone going to FRA for a MR to drink at least one beer. So that when explaining the trip, you can say "I went to Germany to have a beer".
Fixed that for ya....
Old Jan 24, 2009, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA, WN, SPG, UA
I'll be getting (at least) a beer in Germany starting next weekend. This should continue for a couple weekends in a row.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
Well, the symbolism is a little more fun if you drink just one.

But yeah, more than one beer is probably more economical and more fun. I suppose you could drink one each of a number of different beers to get both benefits.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 7:43 am

Programs: EXP AA 5.7MM, Diamond HHonors, a bit of Marriott, a bit of United, a bit of this and that
Maybe calculating the BPM (Beer Per Mile) quotient for a MR is really more important than CPM.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 7:57 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by steve32
DFW-FRA 2/21 FRA-DFW 2/22

Same on hold for 2/28-3/01, though I might be able to bump up the "to" flights to 2/27 if I wanted to overnight there.

Some questions before doing that:

When you pass through immigration you are outside of security, right?

Can you get the boarding pass at 24 hours before the flight, and thus get inside security during the day you are hanging around?

Can you get to other OW lounges (especially BA Terraces Lounge), and will they let you in the calendar day before?

Thanks,

Steve
Not sure what you are asking, but trying to answer you:

No, when you pass through immigration, you are inside security. Once you leave customs, then you are outside security
Why would you want to hang inside security for 24 hours? All the fun stuff is outside, including the AC

I don't think you would want to go the BA lounge in FRA

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ounge-fra.html

You will get into the lounge the day before if you ARRIVE that day.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
Originally Posted by Deltahater
Not sure what you are asking, but trying to answer you:

No, when you pass through immigration, you are inside security. Once you leave customs, then you are outside security
Why would you want to hang inside security for 24 hours? All the fun stuff is outside, including the AC

I don't think you would want to go the BA lounge in FRA

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ounge-fra.html

You will get into the lounge the day before if you ARRIVE that day.
Thanks for the info.

I did find similar comments about the BA lounge searching in the OW forum, but they were from 2005.

I did eventually find another site that has comments about airports, and that confirmed that the old news is still current.

I decided I did not want to hang around such an airport, so I am confirmed for 2/28-3/1 DFW-FRA-DFW (also).

Thanks again,

Steve
Old Jan 25, 2009, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Going DFW-FRA 2/20

& FRA-ORD on 4/5
Old Jan 25, 2009, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriot, SPG, Hertz 5 Star
Done, I'll be on the 2/21-2/22 DFW-FRA run. See you guys there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.