Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA FRA 2009 manifest - who's on board? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2009, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by denCSA
Going DFW-FRA 2/20

& FRA-ORD on 4/5

Clearly not a MR, but going ORD-FRA-ORD 3/27 and 4/7
Old Jan 25, 2009, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
I updated the list. It seems like we have a lot more weekday flyers compared to last year. Anyway, go see who you're flying with. 2009 Manifest
Old Jan 26, 2009, 12:34 am

Programs: AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by arollins
will do ORD-FRA 2/13 & returning Sunday the 15th. This will be a Valentines day surprise for my wife. Where to stay? and eat.
I would recommend not going the 15 km east from FRA airport to downtown Frankfurt, but instead taking the commuter train (S-Bahn) (which stops two escalator rides directly below the arrivals area) 25 km west to the city of Mainz. The S8 line (not the S9 line, the other line stopping in the station) will take you to either Mainz Hbf (the main train station in Mainz) or Mainz-Römisches Theater, which is closer to the Hyatt. The Hyatt is just two blocks east of the Römisches Theater train station (just under half an hour trip from the airport, trains run every half-hour), on the banks of the Rhine--you can get a room with a Rhine view for 160 EUR. The hotel restaurant is one of the better restaurants in Mainz, too. At the Römisches Theater train station, you can see the ruins of a Roman theater (how the station got its name), and on one of the two blocks between the station and the hotel there is a museum displaying the remains of Roman ships and other memorabilia concerning boat travel in Roman times (free admission, closed Mondays). Mainz also has a 1000-year-old cathedral, the Gutenberg museum, and lots of wine bars (center of German wine producing area).

Another option to stay in Mainz is the Hilton on the banks of the Rhine--right now their main lobby is being renovated; the entrance is on the back side of the annex building across the street, but there is a pedestrian walkway connecting the two buildings. This is somewhat cheaper than the Hyatt (older building, that's why the lobby is being renovated) (non-refundable special rate right now of 87.50 EUR). To reach the hotel, you can either take the S8 to Mainz Hbf, or the S9, which stops just across the river from Mainz at the "Mainz-Kastel" train station. From either train station, you can take Bus 54, 55, 56, or 57 to the stop "Brückenplatz" which is right at the hotel. If you don't have much luggage, you can also just walk across the bridge from Mainz-Kastel--the Hilton is at the base of the bridge on your left as you cross the river, but the bridge is probably a ten-minute walk or so. The hotel restaurant here is also ok.

Or you could stay at the airport Sheraton and just make a day/evening expedition to Mainz. Other places to eat might include http://www.ambassenheimerhof.de/ (just off of Schillerplatz square, not far from St. Stephan's church with the Chagall stained glass windows, this is where Laura Bush ate when her husband and the German chancellor had a summit meeting in Mainz), or, for a great view across the Rhine towards Mainz, there is http://www.bastion-von-schoenborn.de/ -- this is located adjacent to the Mainz-Kastel train station.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 6:35 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I'm on board for LGA/ORD/FRA the weekend of March 7.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 6:55 am

Programs: EXP AA 5.7MM, Diamond HHonors, a bit of Marriott, a bit of United, a bit of this and that
Originally Posted by ConradMZ
Another option to stay in Mainz is the Hilton on the banks of the Rhine--right now their main lobby is being renovated; the entrance is on the back side of the annex building across the street, but there is a pedestrian walkway connecting the two buildings. This is somewhat cheaper than the Hyatt (older building, that's why the lobby is being renovated) (non-refundable special rate right now of 87.50 EUR).
The Hilton Mainz City (which by some accounts is a somewhat better place to stay than the Hilton in the above quote, especially with the renovation going on) has a 59.50 euro rate for stays through Jan 31--right at $80. I'll be staying there this Saturday night. Neither hotel has an Executive Level from what I have read. Apparently the Mainz City is only 500 m from the main train station and more in the heart of things. I didn't check into their rates after Jan. 31. Thanks to ConradMZ for all the other info.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 8:08 am

Programs: AA EXPLT
Are all of you folks upgrading on this MR? I have never traveled for the sole purpose of racking up miles and would consider doing so, but only if I upgraded. I have been on the DFW-FRA flight several times, and there is no way I would sit in coach for 10 hours if it could be at all avoided. Also, why has FRA become such a hot destination for this activity?
Old Jan 26, 2009, 8:17 am

Programs: EXP AA 5.7MM, Diamond HHonors, a bit of Marriott, a bit of United, a bit of this and that
Originally Posted by akersnl
why has FRA become such a hot destination for this activity?
Cheap fares! For those who upgrade (not me this time ) no luxury tax like ex-LHR.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 9:20 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ConradMZ
I would recommend not going the 15 km east from FRA airport to downtown Frankfurt, but instead taking the commuter train (S-Bahn) (which stops two escalator rides directly below the arrivals area) 25 km west to the city of Mainz.
We're stying in Frankfurt for a couple of days (already have the hotel booked, although I think it can be canceled) 2/28-3/2. We were looking for a side trip for the full day there and it sounds like Mainz may be just what we're seeking. Thanks for the suggestion!

Edit: Just checked, and it was a special, "non-cancellable" rate..so day trip it would be

Cheers.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 10:32 am

Are all of you folks upgrading on this MR?
I think those of us with eVIPs that are set to expire at the end of Feb will be burning them on these MR's.

I have been on the DFW-FRA flight several times, and there is no way I would sit in coach for 10 hours if it could be at all avoided.
C'mon, its not that bad. In 2007, I did PHX-FRA-PHX MR's for eight consecutive weekends, all in Y. This year, however, I am burning eVIPs. If you were plat or above, you would have access to the AC's showers. Having the ability to shower makes flying in Y a touch better.

Also, why has FRA become such a hot destination for this activity?
As was mentioned, the low price is the main reason. However, FRA is a great turnaround location. The lines are way shorter than in LHR, and it seems like there's less walking involved.

Also the aircraft you come in on is the aircraft you leave on, so there is no chance of missing your flight if you arrive in FRA an hour later than scheduled.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 12:28 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Are all of you folks upgrading on this MR? I have never traveled for the sole purpose of racking up miles and would consider doing so, but only if I upgraded. I have been on the DFW-FRA flight several times, and there is no way I would sit in coach for 10 hours if it could be at all avoided. Also, why has FRA become such a hot destination for this activity?
Plus it gives you a chance/excuse to do some duty-free shopping!
Old Jan 26, 2009, 2:26 pm

Can anyone who's been to FRA recently comment on whether or not AA has expanded the AC there? Last I was there, there was a curtain hanging over the doorway to the left of the reception desk(as you walk in).

I remember someone commenting that it was going to be furnished and used as part of the AC.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA 2MM,Marriott, Hilton
I will be arriving at FRA 2-20 and leaving 2-23. Looking at doing day trips to Mainz and Heidelburg
Old Jan 27, 2009, 9:48 am

Programs: AA EXP (2.4 MM)
Going SNA-DFW-FRA AA 70 on 2/28 and FRA-DFW-SNA AA 71 on 3/1 for $507AI. Purchased last night. When I called to get the EVIP's applied, the return cleared , but the outbound waitlisted.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 10:28 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, SPG Gold
Went ahead and ticketed ORD-FRA on 3/21, FRA-ORD on 3/22 yesterday.

Talk about addicting....
Old Jan 27, 2009, 10:43 am

Programs: 2MM, EXP
And I'll be doing ORD-FRA-ORD on 2/7 - 2/8.

FWIW -- I've been to the BA and Cathay Lounges in the other FRA terminal. The Cathay Lounge has two showers, better than the Admiral's Club showers but not much. Also has a few computers and is relatively spacious and quiet in the AM. BA is pathetic and depressing (in the basement, dingy carpet and furniture, nothing to eat), especially compared to the Lufthansa club upstairs which I could only glimpse into as we walked by.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.