Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Chances of upgrade clearing / upgrade availability - 2012 and prior)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Chances of upgrade clearing / upgrade availability - 2012 and prior)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2010, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by alien
No...back peddling...I'm suggesting in these circumstances a follow-up/re request phone call on Monday is prudent. Although, I'd like to hear that someone had actually received a response come Monday without it.
Um, see my post immediately above yours.
Originally Posted by vasantn
In most cases, by calling back on Monday. Other times, by a conscientious agent calling me back with the update.
But don't expect it to happen unless the agent knows you really well, as it is definitely an "above and beyond" thing.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 6:55 pm

Yeah, I completely missed that.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 7:08 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
What are my chances for upgrade, today @ 11:20am central time. flight 2421 dfw-lax. I am EXP for upgrade purposes.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by envgeo
What are my chances for upgrade, today @ 11:20am central time. flight 2421 dfw-lax. I am EXP for upgrade purposes.
At F2 A2, probably 50/50. I'd ask for row 17 as a back up.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 7:46 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
thanks. When I get there, I might try another flight since my timing is flexible.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by envgeo
thanks. When I get there, I might try another flight since my timing is flexible.
You might try a CFC to 2445 @2:20P. Currently F6 A4 Y7.
If you want a few extra miles, like the MD-80s and don't mind a connection, 2040/521 thru STL at 1:45P is showing X3 and X4.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 9:30 am

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Crossing my fingers for tomorrow's 309 LGA-ORD, but EF still indicates X at zero. AA seatmap shows 7 empties in F, Y fullish but far from oversold. I did OLCI/airport list at T-23.75, but on a very cheap fare who knows.

The whole routine and mindset ("will I get it? I should be the one to get it!") are fascinating to someone who rarely flies domestic. I'd certainly rather be in F but for a short flight the exit row is fine. The stakes are much lower than in mid- to long-haul!
Old Aug 23, 2010, 9:39 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Just a reminder that upgrade order (both on the pre-airport waitlist and the airport waitlist) are determined by status and time of upgrade request. (Your early check-in time will help you if you wanted to go standby on another flight - but will not affect your order on the upgrade list.)

I know there were low mileage run fares on Tuesday LGA-ORD flights through all of August, so you may have some additional competition for upgrades compared to "normal." It all depends on how long ago you put in your upgrade request... Good luck!
Old Aug 23, 2010, 9:55 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by Fornebufox
Crossing my fingers for tomorrow's 309 LGA-ORD, but EF still indicates X at zero. AA seatmap shows 7 empties in F, Y fullish but far from oversold. I did OLCI/airport list at T-23.75, but on a very cheap fare who knows.

The whole routine and mindset ("will I get it? I should be the one to get it!") are fascinating to someone who rarely flies domestic. I'd certainly rather be in F but for a short flight the exit row is fine. The stakes are much lower than in mid- to long-haul!
I don't know what the heck is going on with my ORD-LGA either. We have F7 for AA366, and still not cleared. I have a long post (well, rant) about this on the "Did AA processing take the weekend off?" thread...but this is getting ridiculous now on the part of revenue management

I wonder if its worth a call to EXP desk and ask to appeal to RM about it
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:11 am

Programs: AA lifetime GOLD, but still an AA Baby compare to people here. CX nobody. BR Silver.
what is the chance for ORD-SFO recently?
I have upcoming flight 8/29 ORD-SFO and 9/2 red eye for SFO-ORD.
It looks to me they are both very full.
8/29 ORD-SFO AA1613, 1 seat open in Y, 5 in F in the seatmap.
F5 A1 P3 Y7 B7 H7 K2 M0 L0 V0 W0 G0 S0 N0 Q0 O0

9/2 SFO-ORD AA1522, 0 seat open in Y, 11 in F in the seatmap.
F7 A4 P7 Y3 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 W0 G0 S0 N0 Q0 O0

Is ORD-SFO always full?
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:16 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by yuchung5
what is the chance for ORD-SFO recently?
I have upcoming flight 8/29 ORD-SFO and 9/2 red eye for SFO-ORD.
It looks to me they are both very full.
8/29 ORD-SFO AA1613, 1 seat open in Y, 5 in F in the seatmap.
F5 A1 P3 Y7 B7 H7 K2 M0 L0 V0 W0 G0 S0 N0 Q0 O0

9/2 SFO-ORD AA1522, 0 seat open in Y, 11 in F in the seatmap.
F7 A4 P7 Y3 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 W0 G0 S0 N0 Q0 O0

Is ORD-SFO always full?
I have AA1827 8/26 and still have not cleared. F6. It does look pretty full in Y and I wasn't even able to get an exit row booking a month in advance! Luckily I'm a connecting passenger but we'll see.

I also have AA1613 on 9/7, after Labor Day weekend, and we're F5. That one looks pretty full in Y also.

The only noticeable change for ORD-SFO is a capacity cut. As of tomorrow, Flight 1561 goes from a 763 to 738. Could just be now a lot of elite passengers or semi-frequent passengers who chose the wide body aircraft for comfort purposes are now choosing flights based on their most convenient time, since they are all 738s. Good luck--we're also biting our nails on our upcoming flights.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:20 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by yuchung5

Is ORD-SFO always full?
Originally Posted by demkr
Good luck--we're also biting our nails on our upcoming flights.
I've found SFO-ORD (and ORD-SFO) to be tough, in general. I've seen more than a few cases where high F availability disappears overnight and few, or no, upgrades happen. In these cases we've bought months in advance and requested early, so it's likely we're at the top of the list, so the disappearing seats likely were not sticker upgrades.

With capacity cuts, it won't get better.

Cheers.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by ALadyNCal
I did try searching....this huge thread! Sorry for a newbie Q -- I've never upgraded.

I have an award ticket SNA-DFW-LHR. Paid extra miles to upgrade to business for DFW-LHR. Two seats. SNA-DFW was still coach. Yesterday, ONE seat opened up and I called and got it.

I was surprised when the Agent said she would put in a request to see if they would open up an extra seat so we would both be upgraded. She said sometimes you get an 'instant' answer, but she did not (it was Saturday - fwiw). I asked if I would get an email and she said NO.

She said check back in a couple of hours. I did. No answer. Checked again later. No answer. Checked backed 6 hours later. No answer. THAT agent said to check back late Monday (flight is Wednesday -- 72 hours out). First is half empty for SNA-DFW.

Q's:
Is there no way to know without continually calling back?
What is the typical timeframe to get an answer?
Why did the first agent say to check in 2 hours and the other to check in 2 days?

Thanks
Update:
I did not call back again today. I kept checking online. Tonight (mon) after 9 pm, I saw that our second seat had been released ^ I was unable to select a new seat tho, so I called for that.

Very happy that we both got our upgrade. I DO have ExpertFlyer. Never not a notice that a seat had become available.

Anyway, upgrade is set. Now I only have to worry about that 40 minute connection @ DFW
Old Aug 24, 2010, 2:23 pm

Hello,
I took an offer of $300 for a VDB today and I was wondering what my upgrade situation is. My original routing was SBA> LAX > DFW > LGA. At SBA, the ticket agent told me that I was first on the upgrade list. I took the VDB at LAX and the GA rebooked me for LAX > STL > LGA. I mentioned that I was #1 on the upgrade list for DFW > LGA and she said she'd put me on the list for the upgrade list for STL > LGA. She said there were still 5 spots in First and 1 Plat was ahead of me.

I figured I had done well...$300, and I bumped down one spot on the upgrade list. Then I looked at my receipt, and I saw that I was booked into Y rather than Q (where I had originally been booked). I went on AA.com and checked my upgrade requests, and the status reads like this for the STL > LGA flight:

"500 mi upgrades required per person: 0. Request upgrade? (unchecked)"

I also noticed that my receipt was marked "INVOL"...So did she book it like an IDB to help me out? Am I on the upgrade list or not? What's up with the 0 stickers thing? Did she book me into full fare Y and I don't need to request an upgrade?

I got antsy and decided to submit the upgrade request online anyway. So hopefully I didn't screw anything up! I'm on the LAX > STL flight now, and the STL > LGA flight doesn't leave for about 4 more hours.

Oh, one more question...where do I get my baggage? I checked a bag in SBA, so I assume they didn't take it off the LAX > DFW plane since that would have taken too long. I figured they'd just route it to LGA, but where do I pick it up at LGA? At the baggage claim for my arriving flight, as usual? The flight I was originally sched on (DFW > LGA) is arriving 1 hr before my new flight.

Thanks

Last edited by lobo411; Aug 24, 2010 at 2:33 pm
Old Aug 24, 2010, 6:24 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by lobo411
"500 mi upgrades required per person: 0. Request upgrade? (unchecked)"

I also noticed that my receipt was marked "INVOL"...So did she book it like an IDB to help me out? Am I on the upgrade list or not? What's up with the 0 stickers thing? Did she book me into full fare Y and I don't need to request an upgrade?
Elites get complimentary sticker upgrades when booked in Y, but you still need to request it, just like EXPs do. Because you switched to another flight, you have to rerequest the upgrade, but my understanding is that you should retain your request time automatically (this often happens when there is a schedule change). Why it did not show as checked when the GA told you she put you on the list, I don't know.

Originally Posted by lobo411
Oh, one more question...where do I get my baggage? I checked a bag in SBA, so I assume they didn't take it off the LAX > DFW plane since that would have taken too long. I figured they'd just route it to LGA, but where do I pick it up at LGA? At the baggage claim for my arriving flight, as usual? The flight I was originally sched on (DFW > LGA) is arriving 1 hr before my new flight.
Did the GA in LAX ask you if you had checked bags? At any rate, if it doesn't arrive with you on your flight, yes, check at the baggage claim desk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.