Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Any chance for congratulatory upgrade for newlyweds? ORD-NRT J-F?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any chance for congratulatory upgrade for newlyweds? ORD-NRT J-F?

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2008, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by videomaker
You're saying a TA at a small American Eagle outpost can upgrade someone to F international, with no status or any other reason to upgrade, just because he/she wanted to? That's interesting.

BTW, how long ago were you working for Eagle when you were handing out the upgrades like that? Just curious, since many of us assume they're not handing out "honeymoon op-ups" as often as they used to because of the current rules with status, etc.
Videomaker, you point out another interesting question. How does AA know you really are on a honeymoon? Maybe all couples should claim to be honeymooners?

I seem to recall that PanAm had a honeymoon perk that could be arranged through travel agents, but I was too young to know much about it.
Old May 12, 2008, 9:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dayone
With all due respect, I believe that this is absolutely horrible guidance. It fosters the myth that op-ups are negotiable and creates a nightmare for station managers who will now have to deal with falsely empowered passengers.
I have no idea what AA's current rules and regs are for what Station Managers can and cannot do, but you don't know either so it is possible they can.

If they can, why shouldn't OP ask?
Old May 12, 2008, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by bdemaria
There is such as a thing as disagreeing w/o being disagreeable. You think the OP should get an op up simply b/c he is recently married.
Originally Posted by moldavian
No. I think that the airline achieves quite a bit by showing good will on an occasional basis. And, I think that an elite shows good will on an occasional basis by "suffering" through a one hour flight in coach so that a sick elderly woman can ride home in comfort.

It doesn't happen often, but if I were in the departure lounge talking to a nice couple leaving on their honeymoon I would offer them my F seat. I know that my wife would do the same - without hesitation. Would it kill any of you to do this once in awhile? Last year I gave away my paid F seat on a Hawaii flight. I still got home. I don't get to fly much anymore so I don't see as much of F as I once did. But, I would do it again in a heartbeat.
From where does all this hostility towards elites originate?
Old May 12, 2008, 9:21 pm
Suspended

No. I think that the airline achieves quite a bit by showing good will on an occasional basis. And, I think that an elite shows good will on an occasional basis by "suffering" through a one hour flight in coach so that a sick elderly woman can ride home in comfort.

It doesn't happen often, but if I were in the departure lounge talking to a nice couple leaving on their honeymoon I would offer them my F seat. I know that my wife would do the same - without hesitation. Would it kill any of you to do this once in awhile? Last year I gave away my paid F seat on a Hawaii flight. I still got home. I don't get to fly much anymore so I don't see as much of F as I once did. But, I would do it again in a heartbeat.
OP and yourself can do as you wish. I trade seats from time to time, but flying 250,000 miles per year I won't be giving up my F or J seats. Usually I am working or sleeping, and usually I have meetings or family obligations when i get off the plane.

Would it kill you not to tell me about what to do when I fly?
Old May 12, 2008, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
How does AA know you really are on a honeymoon? Maybe all couples should claim to be honeymooners?
Maybe that's why the OP was asking about this.

Originally Posted by azmojo
Maybe showing up in a tux and bridal gown would help.
Old May 12, 2008, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA Advantage, Priority Club Gold, eleVAte, Worldperks
Originally Posted by videomaker
You're saying a TA at a small American Eagle outpost can upgrade someone to F international, with no status or any other reason to upgrade, just because he/she wanted to? That's interesting.

BTW, how long ago were you working for Eagle when you were handing out the upgrades like that? Just curious, since many of us assume they're not handing out "honeymoon op-ups" as often as they used to because of the current rules with status, etc.
Any American or American Eagle (actually any airline ticket agent) agent can change the class of travel with a few keystrokes. On the day of departure the available premium seats are free game as far as upgrades go. Prior to day of departure, premium agents in the hubs and AA revenue management monitor the premium seats closely and if a passenger is upgraded without permission from an AA executive, your station manager is called and you have to explain yourself to him/her, but as I said on the day of departure anyone could care less. That being said however, NO ticket agent is just going to give out premium seats just because. The pax will have to have a compelling reason (honeymoon) to stand any chance of getting an upgrade. If the ticket agent feels the reason is good enough they will go to their direct supervisor who will be the one to approve/deny the upgrade and document the approval for the upgrade in the pax record.

As for your second question, I worked for American Eagle from 07/2006-12/2007 as a lead agent. I never did have anyone request a transpacific upgrade. Most couples on their honeymoon were going to europe or the bahamas instead.
Old May 12, 2008, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
I have no idea what AA's current rules and regs are for what Station Managers can and cannot do, but you don't know either so it is possible they can.

If they can, why shouldn't OP ask?
I pity the agent that summons his station manager to deal with a passenger who wants to get a free upgrade on a flight three days away out of another city.
Old May 12, 2008, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA GLD, soon-to-be PLT in 2 weeks!
If you can't get in F then join the mile high club.
Old May 12, 2008, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA/CO/UA Marriott
Deleted

Last edited by moldavian; May 12, 2008 at 10:16 pm
Old May 12, 2008, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
I am so sick of "elites" and their stupid "entitlemnets." They are the same people that wouldn't give up their seat up front to a Marine on his way back to Iraq. They moan and groan when they have to move from 2A to 2B because a woman wants to sit next to her husband. They get mad when an elderly man is in line to board with first class even though he is in group 5. I could go on and on... Leave the OP alone as he is far more worthy of many of you elites out there. Not to stereotype, but a lot of you (elites) need to readjust your attitudes. Just my 2 cents.
So in your opinion putting in $$$$ on a regular basis to AA by flying thousands of miles is insignificant when compared to something like "We are a young, fun, and (if I say so myself) cute couple and we would make the F cabin look great if we were sitting up there."

Again why should a honeymoon flight be entitled to a free upgrade?
Old May 12, 2008, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA/CO/UA Marriott
Originally Posted by shadesofgrey1x

Again why should a honeymoon flight be entitled to a free upgrade?
Who said anything about being entitled to a free upgrade? It is a kind gesture, a gift, whatever you want to call it given by an airline employee. It doesn't happen often as we all know... I think that it is safe to say that it is quite rare. So, I think that it is ok when it happens. I also think that it is even better when a passenger does it for a fellow passenger.
Old May 12, 2008, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by jtrader
Gee people here are awfully harsh. I don't think there is anything wrong with OP's question. He doesn't seem to have a sense of entitlement, just wants to know the chances.

I'd agree with others that the chances aren't very good, but it doesn't hurt to let the GA know it's your honeymoon.

I would definitely email the concierge in your hotels in advance with any requests you have and to let them know it is your honeymoon. There is a good chance they'll do something special for you.
The airline should upgrade all of the elites, before it considers upgrading a honeymoon couple. 1/2 of marriages end in divorce. I'd prefer they at least not feel entitled until their 25th anniversary.
Old May 12, 2008, 10:28 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
Who said anything about being entitled to a free upgrade? It is a kind gesture, a gift, whatever you want to call it given by an airline employee. It doesn't happen often as we all know... I think that it is safe to say that it is quite rare. So, I think that it is ok when it happens. I also think that it is even better when a passenger does it for a fellow passenger.
If the OP did not feel any sense of entitlement then why would they even pose the query in the first place? Look up the definition of entitlement what they are are seeking fits the bill.

When a PAX does it for another PAX that fits the definition of an act of charity and it is totally their perogative to do so. But, again what difference should a honeymoon flight make with respect to a free upgrade? The OP thinks it should make a difference, otherwise, the thread would be titled " good looking young couple seeks free J to F upgrade just for the asking, chances?????"

This whole business of trying to equate a honeymoon upgrade with a F seat for the sick or elderly is sheer nonsense.
Old May 12, 2008, 10:35 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 2.3 MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold, recovering UA Premier
Originally Posted by UncleDude
I would also like to bet that flights to Hawaii have more Honeymooners than EXP's.
That seems true to me. In five years of business (yes, really!) travel to Hawaii, I have never failed to clear a sticker upgrade. Only once have I failed to clear a sticker upgrade at the cutoff time for my status (72 hrs for most of them, as I was only PLT).

To make this relevant to the OP's question:

On my last trip to Hawaii, I was headed to LIH with my wife. I was working, she was having fun on my trip. She was on an Z award, but a last minute routing change on my part meant that she'd had to take a voluntary downgrade to coach LAX-LIH. Naturally, she was waitlisted for first.

When we got to LAX, I went up to the gate agent for the LIH flight. The passenger ahead of me said that she was on her honeymoon and wanted to know if she could get into F. The GA curtly said, "we don't do that any more." I asked if my wife was off the waitlist, and the GA smiled and said, "Mr. Flyermatthew, we've been expecting you. The seat came through about two hours ago."

So, like most have advised the OP, I would expect a curt denial, but you may get lucky.
Old May 12, 2008, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are approximately 3 million marriages per year in the US alone. . .

That is about 80 thousand marriages every single day.

Last edited by birdstrike; May 12, 2008 at 11:31 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.