Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Any chance for congratulatory upgrade for newlyweds? ORD-NRT J-F?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any chance for congratulatory upgrade for newlyweds? ORD-NRT J-F?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2008, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by meeshi
Airline Employee on a mileage desk for international carrier. Also worked the Congressional Desk in DC for members of Congress for 10 years. Rates Desk, Tariff desk and international ticketing and overrides.
So, it sounds like the NRT HKG upgrade you got, ahead of elite passengers, was based on you being an airline employee, like the person who gave it to you.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 11:52 pm

xxxxx

Last edited by meeshi; Oct 20, 2011 at 8:02 am Reason: xxxxx
Old Jul 11, 2008, 11:55 pm

xxxxx

Last edited by meeshi; Oct 20, 2011 at 8:03 am Reason: xxxxx
Old Jul 12, 2008, 12:26 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
Originally Posted by azmojo
Why does she deserve F? Because she's the most special person in the world... to me anyway. But does AA deserve the $4,000 difference in price? That's debatable and a subject for a different thread.
Every "bride" (whether new or after 50+ years) is supposed to be the most special person in the world to her guy. Does every couple "deserve" a freebie upgrade from J to F? Especially as it sounds like most of your "miles" for the award likely came from other than flying (?) ... maybe she deserves it, but it sounds chinsy of you.

And you deserve it over all of us who actually pay American for flying enough to earn/maintain elite flying status? You joined FlyerTalk in October 2003--what's your excuse? I have been PLT for three years now, but because I'm not married and allegedly not as cute as you two I don't deserve the upgrade even at half the sacrificial cost to AA (since I only need one seat)?

Does AA deserve the $4,000/upgrade is very much a subject for this thread. Lots of threads about the doom and gloom of the airlines not being able to make ends meet and spiraling towards bankruptcy, but you want AA to give up the $8,000 for the two upgrades you want but are not willing to pay for.

Many years ago that sometimes happened, but there are hoards of people who will happily lie through their teeth to try to score some freebies, and the airlines have figured out that their early attempts to be nice sometimes now just means loss of revenue to liars and irking their elite frequent fliers.

I notice you do not offer any proof that you are in fact married, nor how cute your bride is. (If you are in fact recently married--congrats.)

Bah-Humbug

Steve

Last edited by steve32; Jul 12, 2008 at 12:54 am
Old Jul 12, 2008, 8:06 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
So i'm now about a month away from my honeymoon starting Jun 19, PHX-ORD-NRT on AA in J, a 90k mile AAward flight. We were just married two weeks ago.
People...this is history! There were 181 posts before the OP's honeymoon. We don't need another 181 of post-honeymoon analysis and speculation as to whether the OP and his bride got the upgrade or not. Hopefully they had such a wonderful time that the issue of whether they flew in J or F will now seem quite insignificant.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 8:17 am

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
Is it possible that people not so "young and cute" might start getting downgraded...like didn't Hooters or some carrier start that policy a while back?
Or am I thinking Southwest and "young and sleazily provocative" or some such?
Old Jul 12, 2008, 9:57 am

Programs: AA - EXP 1.5 Million Miles, SPG Gold, hertz 5 star
what one could do is to bring the entire wedding party with them and pay for J tickets. If it's a large enough party, J could get overbooked and the happy couple could get an OP up.

clearly the beginning of a healthy union
Old Jul 12, 2008, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Life Gold, Marriott Platinum Elite
So the answer you all have been waiting for... we were NOT upgraded.

At check-in in Phoenix, there just wasn't a good way to bring up the honeymoon thing without just sounding like a DB so I didn't. The plane was quite full anyway, and I don't think there were a pair of F seats next to each other anyway. However, there was a lady lady that arrived at the J boarding line right behind us, and the GA asked and gave her an op-up. I don't know any of the circumstances behind this, but either the GA already knew her somehow, or it was kind of random.

As far as the flight over (and back), it was the best J service I've ever recieved! A stark difference from when I flew tons a few years ago. The biggest difference was that after dinner service they still walked the aisles every one and a while to provide more drinks, snacks, etc. It used to be that once dinner service was over you never seen them again until 2nd meal.

For the return, we checked in at NRT but again there just wasn't a natural way to bring up the fact that we were on honeymoon.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by AAJetMan
Is it possible that people not so "young and cute" might start getting downgraded...like didn't Hooters or some carrier start that policy a while back?
Or am I thinking Southwest and "young and sleazily provocative" or some such?

There was some hooplah on Southwest a few months back about young, attractive scantily clad women getting the boot from a flight because they were showing too much skin. They claimed it was because they were "too pretty". To hear them tell the story, you get the impression they were being rude with the cabin crew and that's why they got the boot.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 3:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
because they were "too pretty"
What's next? Getting exiled for being "too smart"?
Old Jul 12, 2008, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by meeshi
Airline Employee on a mileage desk for international carrier. Also worked the Congressional Desk in DC for members of Congress for 10 years. Rates Desk, Tariff desk and international ticketing and overrides.
Not, however, American Airlines.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 3:34 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
there just wasn't a good way to bring up the honeymoon thing without just sounding like a DB so I didn't. .

Post of the DAY!!! You made me laugh..just "guessing" at the 'DB'!
Old Jul 12, 2008, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
Originally Posted by IMH
Sounds as though you'll just miss out. According to someone I spoke to at AA, no more than 40 days may elapse between solemnification and first honeymoon flight for couples wanting to qualify for an upgrade under FCFC*.

The thinking seems to be that there's too great a risk of them no longer looking cute once they've been married for more than a few weeks.

* First Class For Cuties, AA's little-known visual enhancement program for premium cabins
:-: ^
Old Jul 12, 2008, 3:54 pm

I just want to try to get us in F. I wanted to hear people's success stories to find out what works.
Either you are the very first person on this forum to have ever asked about a freebie upgrade while on a honeymoon, or you weren't even motivated enough to do a search and read previous threads?

Sheesh,

Steve
Old Jul 12, 2008, 3:57 pm

Programs: EXP AA 5.7MM, Diamond HHonors, a bit of Marriott, a bit of United, a bit of this and that
So the answer you all have been waiting for... we were NOT upgraded.

At check-in in Phoenix, there just wasn't a good way to bring up the honeymoon thing without just sounding like a DB so I didn't. The plane was quite full anyway, and I don't think there were a pair of F seats next to each other anyway. However, there was a lady lady that arrived at the J boarding line right behind us, and the GA asked and gave her an op-up. I don't know any of the circumstances behind this, but either the GA already knew her somehow, or it was kind of random.

As far as the flight over (and back), it was the best J service I've ever recieved! A stark difference from when I flew tons a few years ago. The biggest difference was that after dinner service they still walked the aisles every one and a while to provide more drinks, snacks, etc. It used to be that once dinner service was over you never seen them again until 2nd meal.

For the return, we checked in at NRT but again there just wasn't a natural way to bring up the fact that we were on honeymoon.
Well, for those of us who followed this thread--with more or less attention--it was nice to see what it all came to. Thanks for the update. And congrats to getting married, etc.

My humble advice: Collect your miles by flying AA so that for your 10th anniversary, or whenever, you can go for an F award--while at the same time having done your part "saving" the airline by buying revenue tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.