Any chance for congratulatory upgrade for newlyweds? ORD-NRT J-F?

 
Old May 11, 08, 3:58 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Phoenix, AZ USA
Programs: AA Life Gold, Marriott Platinum Elite
Posts: 458
Any chance for congratulatory upgrade for newlyweds? ORD-NRT J-F?

So i'm now about a month away from my honeymoon starting Jun 19, PHX-ORD-NRT on AA in J, a 90k mile AAward flight. We were just married two weeks ago.

We're in J which is nice, but it would be great if I could get us into F somehow, where my bride truly deserves to be.

I'm no longer elite (on AA), so I know my only option really is probably to appeal to the gate agent's sense of kindness. We are a young, fun, and (if I say so myself) cute couple and we would make the F cabin look great if we were sitting up there.

The flight (153) is 1/3 to 1/2 full in J and F at the moment so I'm guessing there will be availability.

The other obstacle is that we will checkin in PHX, and have no need to see a GA in ORD, although we should have time to stop into the AC (1.5 hour layover).

I know it's a long shot, but there has to be a good strategy you all can help me come up with to finagle something here!
azmojo is offline  
Old May 11, 08, 4:12 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: lax
Posts: 3,662
Make sure to bring your marriage license, along with a blood sample and pre-nup agreement btw, congratulations!
skylady is offline  
Old May 11, 08, 4:15 pm
  #3  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 61,685
Well, the self-description makes for great reading, but I am afraid operational upgrades for non-elite passengers on a J cabin award to F are about as scarce as anteaters in Antarctica. Nonetheless, you are likely to get the NGBC setup in Business (~80% or slightly better due to how, anecdotally, AA seems to be scheduling these aircraft,) and they will most likely treat you nicely.

If you are not very familiar with Japan, you might want to check World Travel Guide's Japan Climate page for ideas on what to take / wear.

Congratulations! We met in Kamakura 43 years ago and married in Tokyo 42 years ago, flew an F award for our 40th.
JDiver is offline  
Old May 11, 08, 4:17 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Posts: 4,010
Congratulations!

Originally Posted by azmojo View Post
We are a young, fun, and (if I say so myself) cute couple and we would make the F cabin look great if we were sitting up there.
I wouldn't count on any of that to get you from J to F.
videomaker is offline  
Old May 11, 08, 4:20 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, NY
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Posts: 18,138
Originally Posted by azmojo View Post
It would be great if I could get us into F somehow, where my bride truly deserves to be.
If she truly deserves to be there then pay for it.

I find it funny that people see a honeymoon as an important enough occasion to believe the airline should upgrade them for free, yet at the same time not important enough for them to pay for that upgrade themselves.

If you want a reliable strategy then pay for it. Travelling in F was important for me on my honeymoon so I paid for it. I suggest you do the same to avoid disappointment.
Fraser is online now  
Old May 11, 08, 4:31 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Oxford, United Kingdom
Programs: OW Emerald/AA EXP, DL Plat, SPG Plat,
Posts: 4,868
Originally Posted by azmojo View Post
I know it's a long shot, but there has to be a good strategy you all can help me come up with to finagle something here!
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
If she truly deserves to be there then pay for it.

I find it funny that people see a honeymoon as an important enough occasion to believe the airline should upgrade them for free, yet at the same time not important enough for them to pay for that upgrade themselves.

If you want a reliable strategy then pay for it. Travelling in F was important for me on my honeymoon so I paid for it. I suggest you do the same to avoid disappointment.
Bravo, Fraser! Excellent points

Of course congratulations on tying the knot and beginning your life together--but is "finagle'ing" how you really want to start??

I couldn't agree more heartily with Fraser's take on this. Asking someone else to help you figure out how to game an airline to give you a handout, vs. you putting in the effort & work to get that for her yourself---seems like a no-brainer as to which is the more honorable "gift" for her. If putting her in F is that important, then that's yours not the airline's.

Thinking that you would make the F cabin look great by your presence???
skye1 is offline  
Old May 11, 08, 4:37 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New York City/NY22
Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Posts: 5,110
Where is Danielonn (sp?) today?
Landing Gear is offline  
Old May 11, 08, 4:38 pm
  #8  
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Louisville, KY
Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Posts: 57,285
Obtain 70k AAdvantage miles, redeposit J awards, get F awards.
Spiff is online now  
Old May 11, 08, 4:40 pm
  #9  
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 9,961
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
you are likely to get the NGBC setup in Business (~80% or slightly better
Probably closer to 100% by June 19.
dayone is offline  
Old May 11, 08, 4:41 pm
  #10  
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 9,961
Originally Posted by Spiff View Post
Obtain 70k AAdvantage miles, redeposit J awards, get F awards.
You beat me to it.
dayone is offline  
Old May 11, 08, 4:41 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: CLT
Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Posts: 6,550
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
We met in Kamakura 43 years ago and married in Tokyo 42 years ago, flew an F award for our 40th.
You should have "finagled" an upgrade from J instead.
planeluvr is offline  
Old May 11, 08, 5:19 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: RDU <|> MMX
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Posts: 6,351
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
If she truly deserves to be there then pay for it.

I find it funny that people see a honeymoon as an important enough occasion to believe the airline should upgrade them for free, yet at the same time not important enough for them to pay for that upgrade themselves.

If you want a reliable strategy then pay for it. Travelling in F was important for me on my honeymoon so I paid for it. I suggest you do the same to avoid disappointment.
Whoa people.

I don't think azmojo is trying to scam AA or anyone else out of anything, and it sounds as if he & his new wife will be perfectly happy flying over to NRT in J. A honeymoon is a special trip, and he's just curious if there are any 'strategies' for getting a nice gesture bump to F. There's absolutely no harm in that at all.

azmojo, as others have said, I wouldn't expect anything. But it never hurts to put a smile on your face and ask nicely. Congratulations.
JJeffrey is offline  
Old May 11, 08, 5:39 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Posts: 4,010
Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
I don't think azmojo is trying to scam AA or anyone else out of anything...
Really?

He did ask for a way to "finagle something." And the American Heritage Dictionary definitions of finagle include: "To obtain or achieve by indirect, usually deceitful methods; To cheat; swindle." AHD says the origin of the word is probably "fainaigue, to cheat."

I'm only going by what the OP said.
videomaker is offline  
Old May 11, 08, 5:55 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, spg gold, hhdiamond
Posts: 1,594
I would like to know why op thinks his bride deserves F..
no status,, award ticket but somehow being young and cute equals deserving First.

I can think of lots more deserving people.. like those with 100000 miles bis despite not being young and cute...

OP seems to feel a sense of entitlement that is undeserved.. best advise is to get more miles and get an F award or heaven forbid .. pay for it
nytango is offline  
Old May 11, 08, 5:55 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: RDU <|> MMX
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Posts: 6,351
Originally Posted by videomaker View Post
Really?

He did ask for a way to "finagle something." And the American Heritage Dictionary definitions of finagle include: "To obtain or achieve by indirect, usually deceitful methods; To cheat; swindle." AHD says the origin of the word is probably "fainaigue, to cheat."

I'm only going by what the OP said.
Thanks for clearing that up.
JJeffrey is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread