Any chance for congratulatory upgrade for newlyweds? ORD-NRT J-F?

Old May 11, 08, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Life Gold, Marriott Platinum Elite
Any chance for congratulatory upgrade for newlyweds? ORD-NRT J-F?

So i'm now about a month away from my honeymoon starting Jun 19, PHX-ORD-NRT on AA in J, a 90k mile AAward flight. We were just married two weeks ago.

We're in J which is nice, but it would be great if I could get us into F somehow, where my bride truly deserves to be.

I'm no longer elite (on AA), so I know my only option really is probably to appeal to the gate agent's sense of kindness. We are a young, fun, and (if I say so myself) cute couple and we would make the F cabin look great if we were sitting up there.

The flight (153) is 1/3 to 1/2 full in J and F at the moment so I'm guessing there will be availability.

The other obstacle is that we will checkin in PHX, and have no need to see a GA in ORD, although we should have time to stop into the AC (1.5 hour layover).

I know it's a long shot, but there has to be a good strategy you all can help me come up with to finagle something here!
Old May 11, 08, 4:12 pm

Make sure to bring your marriage license, along with a blood sample and pre-nup agreement btw, congratulations!
Old May 11, 08, 4:15 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Well, the self-description makes for great reading, but I am afraid operational upgrades for non-elite passengers on a J cabin award to F are about as scarce as anteaters in Antarctica. Nonetheless, you are likely to get the NGBC setup in Business (~80% or slightly better due to how, anecdotally, AA seems to be scheduling these aircraft,) and they will most likely treat you nicely.

If you are not very familiar with Japan, you might want to check World Travel Guide's Japan Climate page for ideas on what to take / wear.

Congratulations! We met in Kamakura 43 years ago and married in Tokyo 42 years ago, flew an F award for our 40th.
Old May 11, 08, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Congratulations!

Originally Posted by azmojo View Post
We are a young, fun, and (if I say so myself) cute couple and we would make the F cabin look great if we were sitting up there.
I wouldn't count on any of that to get you from J to F.
Old May 11, 08, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
It would be great if I could get us into F somehow, where my bride truly deserves to be.
If she truly deserves to be there then pay for it.

I find it funny that people see a honeymoon as an important enough occasion to believe the airline should upgrade them for free, yet at the same time not important enough for them to pay for that upgrade themselves.

If you want a reliable strategy then pay for it. Travelling in F was important for me on my honeymoon so I paid for it. I suggest you do the same to avoid disappointment.
Old May 11, 08, 4:31 pm

Programs: OW Emerald/AA EXP, DL Plat, SPG Plat,
I know it's a long shot, but there has to be a good strategy you all can help me come up with to finagle something here!
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post

I find it funny that people see a honeymoon as an important enough occasion to believe the airline should upgrade them for free, yet at the same time not important enough for them to pay for that upgrade themselves.

If you want a reliable strategy then pay for it. Travelling in F was important for me on my honeymoon so I paid for it. I suggest you do the same to avoid disappointment.
Bravo, Fraser! Excellent points

Of course congratulations on tying the knot and beginning your life together--but is "finagle'ing" how you really want to start??

I couldn't agree more heartily with Fraser's take on this. Asking someone else to help you figure out how to game an airline to give you a handout, vs. you putting in the effort & work to get that for her yourself---seems like a no-brainer as to which is the more honorable "gift" for her. If putting her in F is that important, then that's yours not the airline's.

Thinking that you would make the F cabin look great by your presence???
Old May 11, 08, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Where is Danielonn (sp?) today?
Old May 11, 08, 4:38 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Obtain 70k AAdvantage miles, redeposit J awards, get F awards.
Old May 11, 08, 4:40 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
you are likely to get the NGBC setup in Business (~80% or slightly better
Probably closer to 100% by June 19.
Old May 11, 08, 4:41 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Spiff View Post
Obtain 70k AAdvantage miles, redeposit J awards, get F awards.
You beat me to it.
Old May 11, 08, 4:41 pm

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
We met in Kamakura 43 years ago and married in Tokyo 42 years ago, flew an F award for our 40th.
You should have "finagled" an upgrade from J instead.
Old May 11, 08, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post

Whoa people.

I don't think azmojo is trying to scam AA or anyone else out of anything, and it sounds as if he & his new wife will be perfectly happy flying over to NRT in J. A honeymoon is a special trip, and he's just curious if there are any 'strategies' for getting a nice gesture bump to F. There's absolutely no harm in that at all.

azmojo, as others have said, I wouldn't expect anything. But it never hurts to put a smile on your face and ask nicely. Congratulations.
Old May 11, 08, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
I don't think azmojo is trying to scam AA or anyone else out of anything...
Really?

He did ask for a way to "finagle something." And the American Heritage Dictionary definitions of finagle include: "To obtain or achieve by indirect, usually deceitful methods; To cheat; swindle." AHD says the origin of the word is probably "fainaigue, to cheat."

I'm only going by what the OP said.
Old May 11, 08, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, spg gold, hhdiamond
I would like to know why op thinks his bride deserves F..
no status,, award ticket but somehow being young and cute equals deserving First.

I can think of lots more deserving people.. like those with 100000 miles bis despite not being young and cute...

OP seems to feel a sense of entitlement that is undeserved.. best advise is to get more miles and get an F award or heaven forbid .. pay for it
Old May 11, 08, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by videomaker View Post
Really?

He did ask for a way to "finagle something." And the American Heritage Dictionary definitions of finagle include: "To obtain or achieve by indirect, usually deceitful methods; To cheat; swindle." AHD says the origin of the word is probably "fainaigue, to cheat."

I'm only going by what the OP said.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Search this Thread