FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Any chance for congratulatory upgrade for newlyweds? ORD-NRT J-F?
Old May 12, 2008, 10:35 pm
flyermatthew

Programs: AA - EXP 2.3 MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold, recovering UA Premier
Originally Posted by UncleDude
I would also like to bet that flights to Hawaii have more Honeymooners than EXP's.
That seems true to me. In five years of business (yes, really!) travel to Hawaii, I have never failed to clear a sticker upgrade. Only once have I failed to clear a sticker upgrade at the cutoff time for my status (72 hrs for most of them, as I was only PLT).

To make this relevant to the OP's question:

On my last trip to Hawaii, I was headed to LIH with my wife. I was working, she was having fun on my trip. She was on an Z award, but a last minute routing change on my part meant that she'd had to take a voluntary downgrade to coach LAX-LIH. Naturally, she was waitlisted for first.

When we got to LAX, I went up to the gate agent for the LIH flight. The passenger ahead of me said that she was on her honeymoon and wanted to know if she could get into F. The GA curtly said, "we don't do that any more." I asked if my wife was off the waitlist, and the GA smiled and said, "Mr. Flyermatthew, we've been expecting you. The seat came through about two hours ago."

So, like most have advised the OP, I would expect a curt denial, but you may get lucky.