Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: How did you achieve Executive Platinum status?
100k EQ miles
42.14%
100k EQ points
35.71%
100 segments
17.86%
Other
4.29%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

How did you become Executive Platinum / EXP?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2008, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA; Marriott; SPG; HH
Segments for me - first year was about 106 segments, last year was about 113.

...I now know why the caged bird sings.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP-OW Emerald-3 MM-Lifetime Platinum-ADM Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Miles or Points

Some years its miles, others its points. Depends on how many last minute international trips I get in Y or B.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA Gold
I've been Gold consistently since, circa, '99. I just made Plt this year. This was done by purchasing the lowest, non-refundable fare possible and simply accruing miles. Last year, I flew ~53k miles. I would have never made it on points.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP 0.72MM
Just about to lose my first EXP card, i did it last time on miles/points. I got about 114k in miles and 122k on points or something. Last year was no an AA year so only got around 20k in miles. This year i'm hoping to get to EXP again asap. Got nothing booked but already have 16k in the bank towards it.

Chris
Old Feb 25, 2008, 6:10 pm

Last year I made it on Points, Miles, then Segments. This year it will be Segments, Points, Miles.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

I was expecting most of the people to say "segments", but the FT community isnt as cheap as I thought :P

Looks like the business class travelers make it on points/miles, and almost everyone has some sort of international travel in it, which would make it easier to reach EXP on miles.

Maybe I should make another poll on how many people make EXP solely based on 90% or more of their travel within the US... if any.
Even if I travel every week for the rest of the year (~ 45 flights = 90 segments non stop + some multi-segments = maybe 100 total), its seems pretty hard to do it solely traveling in Y with 1.0 or 0.5 EQP.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
I did it on miles this past year, making EXP for the first time. My only overseas trip was to England, hardly a big mile run.

Based out of BDL, I figure I have to get to the West Coast at least 12 times a year to have any shot. So for me, about 90k plus is domestic, and brother, I EARNED EXP.

I will say this though, EXP is to Platinum, what Platinum is to no status. I hope to NEVER go below EXP again.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by swmrnbk
Last year I made it on Points, Miles, then Segments. This year it will be Segments, Points, Miles.
I've only made it on miles, never with points or with segments.

2007 summary:

Points - 80,168
Miles - 106,293
Segments - 49
Old Feb 25, 2008, 8:12 pm

Programs: Marriott, AA EXP, United, Alaska, AirTran
Segments

I did it on 124 segments. Got lots of experience going through security.

Mrs runarut did it on miles, q-points, and segments.

I aspire to do it on q-points. Maximum benefits with minimum hassle.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by vrbaba
Maybe I should make another poll on how many people make EXP solely based on 90% or more of their travel within the US... if any.
Even if I travel every week for the rest of the year (~ 45 flights = 90 segments non stop + some multi-segments = maybe 100 total), its seems pretty hard to do it solely traveling in Y with 1.0 or 0.5 EQP.
Originally Posted by runarut
I did it on 124 segments. Got lots of experience going through security.
Mrs runarut did it on miles, q-points, and segments.
Sheesh, qualifying by segments sounds truly miserable. I can't imagine doing segment MRs given today's ATC/WX/MX nightmares...what happens with IRROPS if you have a 12-segment domestic MR? OMG!

Originally Posted by runarut
I aspire to do it on q-points. Maximum benefits with minimum hassle.
Yep, that's the easiest way! (and how I did it last year)

Keep an eye out for "good deal" Y/B fares and book a bunch of international ones. Bumps up your EQPs pretty darn fast. Also, you can upgrade for 10k each way (with no copAAy) and save your eVIPs.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
So now that we're five pages deep, would anyone care to sum up what we've learned from this thread?
Old Feb 25, 2008, 10:47 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Blumie
So now that we're five pages deep, would anyone care to sum up what we've learned from this thread?

I've been flying alot and my arms are tired.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 11:56 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Blumie
There are 7 different ways to become EXP.

Cheers.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Please don't. I'm sure Blumie would be willing to pay you not to.
If you have 100 total segments, why would it be hard to do "solely traveling in Y with 1.0 or 0.5 EQP?"
Old Feb 26, 2008, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vasantn
If you have 100 total segments, why would it be hard to do "solely traveling in Y with 1.0 or 0.5 EQP?"
I was speculating what it will take to get to those 100 segments (not that I will be flying them) -- involves traveling every week for the rest of the year with multiple segments on multiple weeks... ouch . I am sure people like me like to take a break, and since work is flexible I can work from home for some of the weeks.

I am planning a trip or 2 to DEL or BOM, so if I can get cheap L or 1.0 EQM fares to it, it will help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.