Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: How did you achieve Executive Platinum status?
100k EQ miles
42.14%
100k EQ points
35.71%
100 segments
17.86%
Other
4.29%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

How did you become Executive Platinum / EXP?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2008, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
So now that we've confirmed that one can make EXP PLT (sic) via miles, points or segments, does this thread serve any further purpose?
Old Feb 24, 2008, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Blumie
So now that we've confirmed that one can make EXP PLT (sic) via miles, points or segments, does this thread serve any further purpose?
It's a poll; don't you get it?

No doubt the findings will be published in some scholastic research paper.

For the purposes of the poll, I just woke up one morning in 2004 and felt this strange feeling of EXP-ness come over me. It's been there ever since. So there is at least a 4th way, aka the "immaculate qualification." Add in the EXP challenges, EXP comps, etc. and you have at least 6.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by vasantn

For the purposes of the poll, I just woke up one morning in 2004 and felt this strange feeling of EXP-ness come over me. It's been there ever since. So there is at least a 4th way, aka the "immaculate qualification." Add in the EXP challenges, EXP comps, etc. and you have at least 6.
My neighbor's mom's hairdresser's husband saw two EXPs giving each other the secret EXP handshake at DFW and now he's EXP too.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 7:51 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Blumie
Hell, yes. We've also learnt that it's possible to make it in two or even all three of those ways. Perhaps people could report on whether they were granted the status for two or three times as long. Also, is my best bet to get EXP PLT (sic) (TM) quickly (i) asking nicely, (ii) whining/threatening/ranting, (iii) being incredibly important [I'm one of the leading deputy assistant technical officers in my brother's firm], (iv) promising to spend mega-$$$ [e.g. $12,000+]??

Supplementary: how many people have actually got EXP and how likely is my DFW-YVR upgrade to clear on March 9? Also, which is better on a 777, 10B or 45D?
Old Feb 24, 2008, 7:56 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bdemaria
My neighbor's mom's hairdresser's husband saw two EXPs giving each other the secret EXP handshake at DFW and now he's EXP too.
Oooh, wow... But how did he recognise it if he wasn't EXP PLT (sic) (TM) himself at the time?

Pleeeze PM me wiv details of you're secret method before you start seling it on eBay.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 8:10 am
Original Poster

They used to have EXP challenges?

Im gonna probably try for segments/miles. Policy is to travel the cheapest logical fare, so EQPs might be impossible.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 10:01 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Put me down as yet another "immaculate qualification". I dunno exactly how it happens, except that I buy a lot of tickets on AA and they give me a shiny black-and-silver card each year. It's a fair swap.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 10:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, Qantas Gold, HHonors Gold, A|Club Gold, Marriott Silver, ICHG Gold
Made it (for the first time ever) by points last year. A lot of international business, supplemented by a return trip LHR-ADL mostly in discount WT+ on BA (a very cheap way to get 1.5 points/mile for long-haul).
Old Feb 24, 2008, 11:01 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I flew a lot, and boy are my arms tired.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 11:13 am

Programs: aa exp 1MM, alaska air, united, hhonors gold, spg gold
So there is at least a 4th way, aka the "immaculate qualification." Add in the EXP challenges, EXP comps, etc. and you have at least 6.
Actually there's another way but I haven't tried it.

You can buy it.

The company that is. Market capitalization is $5+B and I'm sure they would accept a good offer. And you could make it a condition of purchase that you get EXP status.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA PLT 6MM
I make EXP the old fashioned way, BIS miles, usually around 105,000 but never anywhere near $20K, more like $4,000.00.
That's cheap. 105,000 is the equivalent of 21 transcons at an average of $190 round trip for your $4000. I guess you must be getting there through cheap long haul international flights?
Old Feb 24, 2008, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by becket5
That's cheap. 105,000 is the equivalent of 21 transcons at an average of $190 round trip for your $4000. I guess you must be getting there through cheap long haul international flights?
There are several of us who have posted the breakdown - and I can't seem to find that thread. Cheap int'l fares (i.e 600.00 SFO-FCO) combined with transcons in the 300.00rt range.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 12:57 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
We've currently got about 65K miles booked for 2008 at around $3600. If we keep this up, we'd reach EXP for about $5500. We may have some more expensive trips later, but so far, so good.

Cheers.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A year ago, AA mistakenly published some $139 all-in IAD-LAX transcons. There were some sub-three cent LAX-FRA-DB train routings late last year and early this year. The list goes on and on. Quick responders often find three cent per qualifying mile mileage runs/mistakes.

Couple weeks ago, aa.com featured some mistakes (for just a couple hours) of $267 all-in for LAX-SJU connecting at JFK or BOS. More than 8,300 eqms. Very cheap.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp
We've currently got about 65K miles booked for 2008 at around $3600. If we keep this up, we'd reach EXP for about $5500. We may have some more expensive trips later, but so far, so good.

Cheers.
I think I'll come in around $5,000 myself this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.