Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

"Help, I need xxx Miles" and "by xxx" (consolidated - archival)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Help, I need xxx Miles" and "by xxx" (consolidated - archival)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2008, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
I'm not needy for miles - I spend tons via my business - I just need help wtih this last push.

The stickers-for-miles transaction wouldn't make sense for me anyway, as I'll need the stickers I have for the upgrades I attempt in a couple of weeks. Trading them in would mean I need to buy more. As Dan5000 said, it seems unlikley that it would be a loophole to buy-and-convert rapidly.

Thanks yet again guys,.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
Originally Posted by nacirema
no matter what route you chose the miles won't post tomorrow,
While I'm not advocating it, I know that points.com swaps into at least one other airline (Midwest) will post on the same day. I've done it twice in the past.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
The stickers for miles exchange doesnt work in the dimension of 2500 each anymore !

This is a relict from the old days and disappeared together with good service onboard

You get 500 for each though which makes it even less attractive than flying domestic F !
Old Jan 24, 2008, 4:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Per the "Purchase Miles" rules page, you can purchase 40k miles per annum, and you can gift / be gifted to 40k per member per annum in combination, as corrected below by vasantn, and have 15k shared per annum to you. Would they "hit" by tomorrow? I doubt it; they all say "Please allow 72 hours for the miles to post to your account," and the most recent packet of miles to my grandniece took perhaps 48 hours.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 14, 2008 at 7:58 am Reason: edit per vasant's excellent correction
Old Jan 24, 2008, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Per the "Purchase Miles" rules page, you can purchase 40k miles per annum, and you can gift / be gifted to 40k per member per annum, and have 15k shared per annum to you. Would they "hit" by tomorrow? I doubt it; they all say "Please allow 72 hours for the miles to post to your account," and the most recent packet of miles to my grandniece took perhaps 48 hours.
this page says differently

buyAAmiles and giftAAmiles transactions are limited to a combined maximum of 40,000 miles, per account, per calendar year.

https://buy.points.com/AAdvantage/init.do?method=buy
Old Jan 24, 2008, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
The OP just missed the chance of a big transfer package...

Last year AA lifted in a promotion the limit up to 100K but I think it expired at the end of 2007.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Thanks for everything guys... I went with the 40K purchase from AA and ~31K SPG point transfer (26K plus 5K bonus)... my original inclination. Couldn't find anyone with enough miles to gift nor do the MRP idea, though they were both great suggestions.

Now, I apologize for the incredibly "newbie" nature of these questions, as I know the answers can be found elsewhere, but you'll save me a bit of time/research by answering. Although I'm an experienced flier on other airlines, I'm new to AA. Saying I am a "newbie 2MIL Lifetime Plat" is seemingly an oxymoron, but it is true because I earned primarily via business spending. Don't hate me for it, please! It's actually going to get AA a lot more revenue because I will now opt to fly them as often as possible because of the generous status offer. I happen to be 34 years old, so if I'm lucky enough that this truly turns out to be "Lifetime" (I know, it is "Lifetime of the program"), then I'll be a very happy and fortunate man. Onto the newbie questions... you guys who know all can probably fire off all the answers in 60 seconds, so I hope I'm not being too annoying by asking...

1) 8 500-mile stickers went into my account when I hit 1MIL. 8 more *and* 4 VIPs will go into my account when the 2MIL processes, or just the 4 VIPs?

2) I think I read VIPs are SWUs, or are they different?

3) Stickers don't expire - I know that. Do VIPs/SWUs?

4) Are the VIPs/SWUs showing electronically or just paper? Can I use them for anyone or give to a friend, or are they just for myself/companion?

5) Will I get more stickers each year without fliying, or are stickers earned only from the 10K-flown-for-4-stickers deal?

6) I know that I need to request an upgrade when I reserve online (or call to do so), and I see that it calculates the number of stickers needed and will deduct them should I (and/or companion) get the upgrade. However, I read that there are also "complimentary upgrades" for Y/B fares. If I purchase one, will the online system still show the number of stickers required but just upgrade me and not deduct them should I get the upgrade, or is the display different for a Y/B fare in that it shows something different than the number of stickers required? Or, do the complimentary upgrades not work via online at all and require me to call? Im sure the system is logical, but Im confused by it.

Help appreciated.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by mooper
1) 8 500-mile stickers went into my account when I hit 1MIL. 8 more *and* 4 VIPs will go into my account when the 2MIL processes, or just the 4 VIPs?
Just the 4 eVIPs.

The same.

Yes. If you earn them in 2008, they will expire at the end of February 2010.

4) Are the VIPs/SWUs showing electronically or just paper? Can I use them for anyone or give to a friend, or are they just for myself/companion?
They are electronic and cannot be viewed online. You may use them for anyone.

5) Will I get more stickers each year without fliying, or are stickers earned only from the 10K-flown-for-4-stickers deal?
Only from flying.

6) I know that I need to request an upgrade when I reserve online (or call to do so), and I see that it calculates the number of stickers needed and will deduct them should I (and/or companion) get the upgrade. However, I read that there are also "complimentary upgrades" for Y/B fares. If I purchase one, will the online system still show the number of stickers required but just upgrade me and not deduct them should I get the upgrade, or is the display different for a Y/B fare in that it shows something different than the number of stickers required? Or, do the complimentary upgrades not work via online at all and require me to call? Im sure the system is logical, but Im confused by it.
The system knows all. It will show 0 stickers needed.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 6:47 pm

for 2mm you get 4 e-vips only

same

yes

neither, aa keeps track of e-vips on file and you need to be on top of it.

you get 4 stickers for every 10k revenue miles

Help appreciated.
y/b will still need to be requested on line/ telephone but it will show as zero stickers needed.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 6:47 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum

Just the 4 VIPs at 2MM, no stickers.

I'm not as familiar with SWUs, but they sound similar. Used for international travel from any coach class to business, and from most business to first (if business is purchased). 3 Segments, same direction, for each one. That's the basics.

VIPs expire on the date indicated when they're given. I believe the the MM VIPs now will be good until 2/2009, maybe 2/2010.

Electronic, but not actually shown online. Can be used for others.

Nope. gotta fly to get them.

It will show 0 stickers required...but you still have to actually request the upgrade, even if complementary.

Help appreciated.
Cheers.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
Per the "Purchase Miles" rules page, you can purchase 40k miles per annum, and you can gift / be gifted to 40k per member per annum, and have 15k shared per annum to you. Would they "hit" by tomorrow? I doubt it; they all say "Please allow 72 hours for the miles to post to your account," and the most recent packet of miles to my grandniece took perhaps 48 hours.
Originally Posted by nacirema
this page says differently

buyAAmiles and giftAAmiles transactions are limited to a combined maximum of 40,000 miles, per account, per calendar year.

https://buy.points.com/AAdvantage/init.do?method=buy
nacirema is correct. The 40K limit is a combined limit for the buy and gift programs.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Answered all the q's without going to the next page. Wasted effort. Edited for WAY too much info for the OP.

Last edited by oneant; Jan 24, 2008 at 6:52 pm Reason: Edited for stupidity.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 6:54 pm

I think its only 500 miles per upgrade now.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 7:11 pm

Don't even think about eBay !

delted.

Last edited by Boston_Bulldog; Jan 24, 2008 at 7:23 pm
Old Jan 24, 2008, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by Boston_Bulldog
I do hope that you haven't and/or NOT thinking of buying miles via eBay as that's a big-time no-no (see AA advantage rules prohibiting buying, selling and or bartering miles etc outside of AA) --and can jeopardize every mile you have acquired thus far as well as anything you get from an eBay seller.
no need to shout,

besides i thought we were all on the same page. the op will buy 40k miles from aa and transfer spg points to aa, all according to rules

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.