FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Help, I need xxx Miles" and "by xxx" (consolidated - archival)
Old Jan 24, 2008, 6:47 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mooper

1) 8 500-mile stickers went into my account when I hit 1MIL. 8 more *and* 4 VIPs will go into my account when the 2MIL processes, or just the 4 VIPs?

Just the 4 VIPs at 2MM, no stickers.

2) I think I read VIPs are SWUs, or are they different?

I'm not as familiar with SWUs, but they sound similar. Used for international travel from any coach class to business, and from most business to first (if business is purchased). 3 Segments, same direction, for each one. That's the basics.

3) Stickers don't expire - I know that. Do VIPs/SWUs?

VIPs expire on the date indicated when they're given. I believe the the MM VIPs now will be good until 2/2009, maybe 2/2010.

4) Are the VIPs/SWUs showing electronically or just paper? Can I use them for anyone or give to a friend, or are they just for myself/companion?

Electronic, but not actually shown online. Can be used for others.

5) Will I get more stickers each year without fliying, or are stickers earned only from the 10K-flown-for-4-stickers deal?

Nope. gotta fly to get them.

6) I know that I need to request an upgrade when I reserve online (or call to do so), and I see that it calculates the number of stickers needed and will deduct them should I (and/or companion) get the upgrade. However, I read that there are also "complimentary upgrades" for Y/B fares. If I purchase one, will the online system still show the number of stickers required but just upgrade me and not deduct them should I get the upgrade, or is the display different for a Y/B fare in that it shows something different than the number of stickers required? Or, do the complimentary upgrades not work via online at all and require me to call? Im sure the system is logical, but Im confused by it.

It will show 0 stickers required...but you still have to actually request the upgrade, even if complementary.

Help appreciated.
Cheers.