Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin America tentatively approved. Effect on AA out of SFO?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2007, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
However, paxs logging in more than 50,000 miles per year will probably stick with AA and other legacies on the NYC/LAX/SFO routes for the UPG perks and ability to redeem miles internationally on a wide host of other carriers.
I would agree with it for more than 100k miles.

I suspect based on routing (i.e., the alternatives satisfy your needs) AA will lose a non-trivial amount of PLTs too let alone GLDs and many more after thay have already made that level and cannot make it to next. Upgrades are rare unless EXP on those routes and the coach product difference is just too much to ignore. With online checking, at the airport benefits aren't all that enticing.

One thing that will keep some people on AA (or UA for that matter) is that the FF programs are just about the only way to leverage company's money for personal use later on. Same reason why business travelers keep paying huge amounts of company money to hotel stays.

Just like it has happened in large brand hotel stays, for self-employed people the cost savings from not flying legacies can often be used to get the same rewards and often more by paying for it (i.e., run your own loyalty program - one loyal to yourself )
Old Jul 19, 2007, 10:15 pm

Programs: AA PLAT; Hilton Gold; Hertz #1 Gold
AA has now matched the JFK-SFO-JFK. ^

$298 all in
Old Jul 19, 2007, 11:24 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by n5177c

$298 all in

Decent ex-IAD as well ($287 base, $328 all in)
Old Jul 20, 2007, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not true. VX (Virgin America) charges $40 if you want to do a change, while AA charges $100. This is not a match in my book.

Also, AA did not match VX's promo business class fare, and its version of matching VX's lowest business class fare ($449++) requires 14 days advance purchase.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 4:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I used UA for $149.80 all inc RT for a F/Su

Just to keep my UA miles from expiring and add a little to the measly balance that I have.. I booked IAD-SFO-IAD for $149.80 for my family to go to the Cal game. Leaving Friday evening returning Sunday morning.. perfect times and everything.. I'll give up some EXP miles when the competing fare on AA was in excess of $300 each.. in essence this fare will be less than half of what I'd pay on UA.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 7:03 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling

$298 all in
I don't see any availablility in August.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 9:53 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat 2MM
Originally Posted by schriste
I checked same day turnarounds on 21 Sep and 28 Sep and got the $298 for JFK-SFO-JFK. I didn't check August.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 11:20 am

Programs: AA Plat, CO Gold
Originally Posted by schriste
Looks like AA's $278+ fare starts Aug 29, ends Nov 14 (according to Travelocity).
Old Jul 20, 2007, 12:38 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by acf573
Looks like AA's $278+ fare starts Aug 29, ends Nov 14 (according to Travelocity).
Even fares for more ideal (for me) times (the Friday redeye and the Sunday evening return- to actually spend some time there) were pricing at $338 all-in. Not too shabby for preferred flight times.

Cheers.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 12:53 pm
SST

Have two flights SFO-LAX coming up. AA: no bonus miles. VA: Two tickets bought. If I were AA, I'd start competing with SOMETHING. The novelty alone will drive some of us over for a while (I have NO chance of making EXP this year).
Old Jul 20, 2007, 1:12 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SST
Have two flights SFO-LAX coming up. AA: no bonus miles. VA: Two tickets bought. If I were AA, I'd start competing with SOMETHING. The novelty alone will drive some of us over for a while (I have NO chance of making EXP this year).
One can hope. We saw what AA was able to do in this arena with the Dallas Fly3/Fly6 promos & how their fares, AAdvantage miles, & even their AAdmirals Clubs hopped into play. But, if SFO is not now nor ever will be a major contender for them, they probably won't do much.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 1:14 pm
GSR

Programs: AA 2MM
They will probably throw some bonus miles at it if United does.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by GSR
They will probably throw some bonus miles at it if United does.

Other than a double mile promotion don't see much. At least for Y paxs, AA cannot compete with new 320s with state of the art technology/entertainment (AA with their 20 year plus 767s). On the F/J side, AA never attempted to really compete against UA's premium product. But again I think that VX is really chasing the B6 crowd.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by wrose99
According to Farecompare, AA just matched on SFO-LAX and SFO-JFK (in coach at least).
They matched LAX-JFK as well.

I am inclined to give them a try and probably will.

Peace!
Old Jul 20, 2007, 6:29 pm

Programs: Some more than others
AA has also matched VX in business for LAX-JFK (eff 8/29) with fares starting as low as $389 OW.

Since I've already requalified for EXP this year, I'm giving VX a try, see how their F compares with AA's J and F on the trans-cons.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.