Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin America tentatively approved. Effect on AA out of SFO?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2007, 8:38 am
Original Poster

"As we look ahead the specter of high fuel prices and intense competition from several new airlines (Virgin America, Skybus, EOS ... ) will likely make the second half of the year much more challenging," said Gerard Arpey, chief executive of AMR, in a letter to employees after the parent of American Airlines reported second-quarter results Wednesday.
http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...CE3370BB893%7D
Old Jul 19, 2007, 9:07 am

Programs: AA EP 4+ million miles, Ambassador+ Elite
Will AA Match Virgin America's fares?

What's your bet?

New York-Los Angeles ... $139 each way (starts August 29)
- New York-San Francisco ... $139 each way (starts August 9)

You can fly to either city in first class for $389 each way.

This sale is for travel 7 days a week through November 14.
To find the lowest fares, book 7 days in advance.

Main cabin passengers will experience mood lighting, leather seats with 32-inch pitch and lumbar support, a nine-inch TV screen with live TV and 25 movies, and have access to power outlets.

First class passengers will receive upgraded amenities and also sit in oversized seats with 55-inch pitch and built-in massage function.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 9:10 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Already discussed on first page.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=694890

Cheers.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 9:21 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM+, HHonors, Amtrak GuestRewards
Sfo

The rumor is that Virgin America is expected to occupy a smattering of gates in SFO's new international terminal, much as Jetblue now does. While SFO will renovate T2--the old international terminal--T2 has been closed for awhile, so it seems possible that renovation will take a bit more time rather than less, and VA could be expected to remain in the new international terminal for some time.

-Hayden
Old Jul 19, 2007, 9:25 am
Suspended

Couple of questions:
* Will F get lounge access?
* Will VX use a GDS; right now they're not in EF?
* The current First fare is restricted; anyone know the unrestricted price?
* Strikes me as odd that there are two AM flights SFO-JFK, and then nothing until 9pm.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 9:36 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
...if VX F (which looks in the pics comparable to AA 762 F - cant tell for sure until it goes live) is well-priced - i.e. - $1,500 - $2,000
O/w SFO-JFK restricted F on VX is currently selling for $389+ - don't know what non-restricted F is going for...if I had to guess I'd estimate it to be around $700+-$800+ (which would put the r/t cost in your estimation).
Old Jul 19, 2007, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM+, HHonors, Amtrak GuestRewards
AA concourse changes at SFO

A bit OT for this thread, of course Southwest will shortly begin service out of SFO, out of T1. Rumor is that it will displace Air Canada, which will relocate to a couple of AA's underused gates in T3 (or may at least share them with AA)--good news for Star Alliance fliers, who will no longer have to switch terminals when doing the United-Air Canada transfer. Maybe not the best news for AA travelers, who may see a busier security checkpoint and slightly busier concourse.

-Hayden
Old Jul 19, 2007, 12:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
My bet is that VX will cater towards younger fliers that probably travel several times a year but not enought to reach status. This airline like B6 will be the "cool" airline of the young, tech group.

However, paxs logging in more than 50,000 miles per year will probably stick with AA and other legacies on the NYC/LAX/SFO routes for the UPG perks and ability to redeem miles internationally on a wide host of other carriers.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
My bet is that VX will cater towards younger fliers that probably travel several times a year but not enought to reach status. This airline like B6 will be the "cool" airline of the young, tech group.

However, paxs logging in more than 50,000 miles per year will probably stick with AA and other legacies on the NYC/LAX/SFO routes for the UPG perks and ability to redeem miles internationally on a wide host of other carriers.
Seems like a reasonable analysis... I expect that the legacy carriers will slightly upgrade their amenities based on what VX offers and, of course, match fares. Needless to say, AA will be watching VX closely and have secret agents (seriously) counting the number of people getting on the VX flights.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 4:42 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by formeraa
Seems like a reasonable analysis... I expect that the legacy carriers will slightly upgrade their amenities based on what VX offers and, of course, match fares.
And it wouldn't hurt to throw some bonus miles our way for booking routes Virgin competes on.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA PLAT; Hilton Gold; Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge

I'm AA Plat and I just booked JFK-SFO on VX. Couple of things...

1. They were cheap ($300)
2. Flying AA wouldn't help me towards ExecPlat
3. I already have so many miles in my AA account I don't really know what to do with them.
4. Their planes look really really nice.

Further more, two of my colleagues who are loyal CO flyers also booked on VX.

I figured we'll give 'em a try. If they team up with Virgin Blue, then ^.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by 1AAFlyer
What's your bet?.
According to Farecompare, AA just matched on SFO-LAX and SFO-JFK (in coach at least).
Old Jul 19, 2007, 6:59 pm
asl

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
And I would imagine they will use the Virgin Clubhouse at JFK and SFO so the on the ground experience will beat UA and AA as well.
I doubt it. I managed to slog through a fair bit of the DOT documentation a few months ago, and Virgin *America* is severly limited on how it interacts with Virgin *Atlantic*.

That being said, now that the operating certificate it issued and ignoring terminal location issues, I imagine Virgin Atlantic could "sell" access for Virgin America's premium passengers on a per-passenger, fair-market value rate.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 7:00 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
Couple of questions:
* Will F get lounge access?
* Will VX use a GDS; right now they're not in EF?
* The current First fare is restricted; anyone know the unrestricted price?
* Strikes me as odd that there are two AM flights SFO-JFK, and then nothing until 9pm.
To the first point, a VX employee confirmed in another thread that VX F pax *will* get VS clubhouse lounge access in airports where they share the same terminals. This would include SFO (both VX and VS use Int'l Terminal A), JFK (Terminal 4) and IAD (Concourse B).

In airports where there is no dedicated VS lounge, they are making arrangements with existing lounge operators. Here's to hoping that means the CO lounge in T6 and not tthe RCC in T7.

- T
Old Jul 19, 2007, 7:07 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP 75k, AA EXP, Subway Sub Club
Originally Posted by n5177c
I'm AA Plat and I just booked JFK-SFO on VX.
Ditto. As an SFO-based AA Plat who often travels to NYC on his own dime (read: "stuck in Y"), JetBlue and now Virgin America are the biggest threats to my remaining a loyal AA passenger. Yes, I am part of that "young, tech group" that those two other carriers apparently targets. Yet despite all the other benefits that B6 and now VX can offer, I've remained with AA on this route--and oftentimes frustratingly so--because of my preference to fly out of SFO than OAK or SJC. The Admirals Club also helps.

With B6 and VX now flying out of SFO, it will be nearly impossible for me to remain loyal to AA on this route. I suspect that AA will end up losing mid-tier flyers like me--semi-frequent travelers (but not EXPs who can compete for upgrades), confined to Y for whatever reason, yet willing to pay for convenience (but not too much!).

Generally, I think everyone would agree that B6's and now VX's Y seats (especially the live sat. TV aspect) are heads-and-shoulders better than the AA 767 Y seat--even on those very rare occassions that my upgrades to J clear on this route. (and I actually have had generally positive experiences with AA's GAs and FAs).

AA's advanced booking ticket prices are rarely any lower than B6's--or VX's apparent pricing, it seems. And not enough to justify AA's subpar Y cabin.

And when traveling on a couple hours' notice, B6 is so drastically cheaper that I am rarely able to fly AA. Traveling on business, I can't justify the signfiicantly higher cost to a client. Traveling on my own dime, the miles can't justify the ridiculous price increase. Who cares about redeeming miles on international trips when I could have bought the award ticket outright with the money I saved on a single fare?

Which leads to broader issues. Were I not so dependent on the SFO-MIA non-stop and AA's selection of SFO-RDU connections, flying SFO-JFK on another airline would lead me to move my loyalty elsewhere. For those without any need for MIA or RDU, precisely that may happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.