Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA sets new policy limits on onboard waiting during delays

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2007, 9:19 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by dfwmusicman
Simply just for the record, it was indeed AA1420, but at LIT on June 1,1999.

As a passenger on 1420, I can say for certain that there's no doubt we shouldn't have landed...I would have much rather diverted to MEM or circled for a period of time rather than experience what happened. No amount of time saved by trying to get the plane there regardless of the impending weather dangers is worth the consequences that our pilots' actions caused that night. I know the passengers stranded in AUS & elsewhere had some incredible hardships, and I'm thankfully AA is trying to do something about it. Similar to what others have said, however, it will be interesting to see how AA handles this type of situation the next time it occurs!
Thanks for your response dfwmusicman - it must have been one heck of an experience to have been in that plane, and not one that most of us can fully comprehend - my experiences were mere irritations by comparison.

Do you have an opinion on the present working hour rules? Do you think the crew on AA1348 should have been replaced long before it was purely on safety grounds, even if it resulted in the flight being cancelled?
Old Feb 10, 2007, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by bernardd
Put simply ...
Or not.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stranded passenger
AND YES, WE DO NEED A PASSENGER'S BILL OF RIGHTS!!!
This is one of the "rights" you're demanding:
Compensate “bumped” passengers or passengers delayed due to flight cancellations or postponements of over 12 hours by refund of 150% of ticket price.
Is there an exception here for anavoidable weather delays?
Old Feb 11, 2007, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by inlanikai
I guess you don't fly to NRT.
I agree but this is also very diffrent. These flights serve everyone on the plane and had food and beverage for that purpose.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
Hmmmmm.

I have flown ~800,000 miles in the last four years and have yet to experience more than a 2 hour wait on the plane. I had around 80 segments last year that either originated or terminated in one of DFW/ORD/STL.

You say they are common! Are you sure you are not exaggerating?

Originally Posted by bernardd
Exactly - it's a basic fact of geography - I'll get my geologist sister to give you the lecture if you like? The mid-west is far and away the most vulnerable - 8 of 10 lengthy weather waits / diversions I can remember were associated with DFW, ORD or STL. Also one each due to summer thunderstorms in DC and winter snow in Boston. No great surprises there.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 9:47 pm

Exactly. This is the United States of America, the country with one of the lowest CPM to fly anywhere in the world. I would like it to stay that way.

Government regulation usually increases cost to the consumer. If the product is acceptable without regulation, then regulation is to be avoided. 4 hours seems reasonable to me in extreme circumstances considering the alternatives.

Most delays labelled as weather are caused by weather, but often indirectly. You are wrong claiming otherwise.

Originally Posted by Deltahater
I disagree.. this is the United States of America. Telling me that I have to anticipate and accept 4 hour waits at DFW due to beancounter mentality and fear of unions and lawsuits if things get bumpy is unacceptable to me. Note that very few of these delays are REALLY caused by weather. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that only the US is blessed with rough weathers at time. It might be time to take a look at how other countries handle these situations. You don't think Finland has it rough in Feb? Or Taiwan during Monsoon season?

2hours is enough...
Old Feb 11, 2007, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by ncdecolover
Having been a passenger on one of the aforementioned 67 planes that sat on the tarmac for more than three hours on 12/29, I have to say that I think $500 is highly inadequate compensation
I disagree!

1) The average passenger paid far less than $500.

2) The average passenger makes $500 or less/day.

3) AA did not cause the weather problem and technically owed you nothing. They fulfilled their contract 100% and giving passengers significanlty more than they paid for their tickets in vouchers seem fair for that.

I would not be apposed to AA giving more, ie either a ticket refund in addition to the voucher or 25K/50K miles in addition to the vouchers. But to call it "highly inadequate compensation" seems unfair to me.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wanaflyforless
If the product is acceptable without regulation, then regulation is to be avoided.
IMHO any product where there is a chance in a million that you will be held prisoner for 8+ hours without food, toilets, and restricted liquids is NOT acceptable to me.
4 hours seems reasonable to me in extreme circumstances considering the alternatives.
Agreed. Let's put it into law. Similar arguments to yours were laid out in 1999 to avoid regulation and the facts of AUS show that "self-regulation" FAILED. It will FAIL again.

Airlines need will put the cost of breaking the LAW into the equation when they make decisions--on staffing, on what planes to assign to gates, on what compensation to give out. There are no consequences whatsoever for another AUS to take place--and you could be subject to it.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3) AA did not cause the weather problem and technically owed you nothing. They fulfilled their contract 100% and giving passengers significantly more than they paid for their tickets in vouchers seem fair for that.
Completely wrong. Read the FACTS before responding; I suggest Google. Weather caused diversion to AUS, but AA had in its power to bring that flight to a gate and yet it chose to leave it out on the tarmac with malfunctioning toilets etc. At the same time the available AA gates were repeatedly used for other flights (so they wouldn't miss revenue), and other (non-AA) gates at the airport were available (it would have costed AA money to rent one to get the people of the flight out).

There was nothing weather-related about the 8 hour imprisonment. It took the Captain's willingness to violate company orders (he pulled into an open gate against AA's directive not to do so), something he could have done 8 hours earlier if AA management had not banned him from doing so.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by hillrider
IMHO any product where there is a chance in a million that you will be held prisoner for 8+ hours without food, toilets, and restricted liquids is NOT acceptable to me.
Okay, then don't fly. That's really your only option. Even with a law in place, the odds of it happening are still going to be greater than one in a million.

Agreed. Let's put it into law. Similar arguments to yours were laid out in 1999 to avoid regulation and the facts of AUS show that "self-regulation" FAILED. It will FAIL again.
It failed for less than 200 people. For the vast majority of people flying that day, the system worked just fine.

I am willing to expose 200 people to this every few years for the sake of not inconviencing the vast majorty. Any rational assessor of risk should be willing to do the same.

Note that the issue of being stuck on the plane for 8 hours is distinct from the lack of food/drink and working toilets issue.

Airlines need will put the cost of breaking the LAW into the equation when they make decisions--on staffing, on what planes to assign to gates, on what compensation to give out. There are no consequences whatsoever for another AUS to take place--and you could be subject to it.
But there are consequences -- that is what you are failing to understand. The passengers on the plane have several causes of action they can pursue against AA, mainly common law negligence and false imprisonment. If the passengers prevail, there will be worse consequences than what a law would prescribe (if you don't think that such a law would contain a liability cap then you you very naive). The potential liability is limitless and AA may well have to face a jury (juries) for their actions. I can assure you a jury, if the facts are as have been described, will be far harsher on AA than any law would be.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 10:37 pm

Completely wrong. Read the FACTS before responding; I suggest Google.
Excuse me; I did read the facts and do understand them.

The reason AA did not and could not fly as scheduled was weather. That was the intended meaning of my quoted comment.

Yes, AA was not forced by weather to keep that particular plane away from a gate as long as they did. Weather did force AA to not fly it to its destination.

I am not OK with the 8 hours but have a more positive view of AA's likelihood to do everything in its power to prevent a similar situation in the future (8 hours). Their new computer alerts contribute to this.

I do not find a chance in a million of a $500 voucher plus a boatload of AA miles after complaints because of a 8 hour dealy to be something worth fighting over.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am not OK with the 8 hours but have a more positive view of AA's likelihood to do everything in its power to prevent a similar situation in the future (8 hours).
You may not have been flying much in 1999. AA already has a promise currently in effect to do everything in its power to avoid these type of on-the ground delays. Specifically, AA in 1999 has
developed detailed contingency plans at every domestic airport to address these situations. In such events, we will make every reasonable effort to ensure your essential needs, such as food (snack bar, such as a Nutri-Grain), water, restroom facilities, and basic medical assistance, are met. Every American Airlines and American Eagle U.S. airport team has an operational contingency plan in place to address these needs, which includes coordination with the local airport authorities and other airlines serving the airport when appropriate. Each plan designates a local control point to coordinate activities of the local team and establishes an open communication line with our centralized System Operations Control center located at our headquarters.
That "promise" lacked any tooth or consequences and it was promptly discarded in face of cost-cutting and led to the AUS fiasco. My statement of fact is that there's nothing new about the current PR blitz that has not been already promised in 1999 and was already in effect in December when those passengers were trapped by AA for over 8 hours.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 11:04 pm

You may not have been flying much in 1999. AA already has a promise currently in effect to do everything in its power to avoid these type of on-the ground delays.
How much I flew in '99 is irrelevant.
Note, likelihood suffices for me.
Inconveniencing a few people every few years is not the end of the world.

As for consequences, PresRDC explained well the consequences in place.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PresRDC
But there are consequences -- that is what you are failing to understand. The passengers on the plane have several causes of action they can pursue against AA, mainly common law negligence and false imprisonment. If the passengers prevail, there will be worse consequences than what a law would prescribe (if you don't think that such a law would contain a liability cap then you you very naive). The potential liability is limitless and AA may well have to face a jury (juries) for their actions. I can assure you a jury, if the facts are as have been described, will be far harsher on AA than any law would be.
The tool is way too blunt for the situation. How much money in lawyer's fees to you need to put up for this? How many hours of your personal time do you need to dedicate to deposition, testimony, etc.? How much personal information are you willing to have end up in a public record as AA's lawyers try to make it look like that your time isn't worth much ? And then do it all over again in appellate court? How many months/years before you see anything?

What was the last case you can cite that has been won this way? The airline have huge attorney pools and will put a lot of resources to avoid setting a precedent; if you're an average American you have a $42,000 income to draw upon to mount your assault--and even if you find someone who's willing to take the case on contingency, you are still working full time and would strongly prefer keeping your private life private.

What we need is a deterrent for the airlines so they don't cut corners. The goal is prevention, not getting rich after being abused.

Last edited by hillrider; Feb 11, 2007 at 11:23 pm
Old Feb 11, 2007, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Inconveniencing a few people every few years is not the end of the world.
Then having a law that compensates those few people every few years should be completely acceptable. It's an American trait of compassion to protect the weak.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.