Search

Avis AA 25th Anniversary Promo

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2006, 9:51 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Brendan
Wow! I never saw the 'per rental' wording. I consistently thought that it was once only. In May I reserved an Avis rental for Aug., then found a cheaper rate at Hertz. As a 15-year AAdvantage member who got his (=my) 3750 bonus last week for a June rental, maybe I should rent from Avis after all !
It's too late now...the rental had to be booked in May. You should have been reading this thread religiously in May...all kinds of discussion of the number of times

Cheers.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 9:59 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Brp, I did book in May for Aug., but I just read the T&Cs:
"Offer valid on an Intermediate (Group C) through a Full Size four-door (Group E) car. Offer is valid on a qualifying rental of three or more days, including a Saturday night."

My rental is for only one or maybe 2 days . No soup 4 me!

At least we don't have to wait til Feb. 2007 for our bonuses as written here:
"Bonus miles will be calculated at the end of the promotion.[12-31-2006] Allow 6-8 weeks after the promotion ends for bonus miles to appear on your statement summary"
Old Jul 26, 2006, 10:25 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brendan
Brp, I did book in May for Aug., but I just read the T&Cs:
"Offer valid on an Intermediate (Group C) through a Full Size four-door (Group E) car. Offer is valid on a qualifying rental of three or more days, including a Saturday night."
I knew about that one...I just read the "maybe I should book Avis after all" comment as a thought to change a rental now for purposes of the bonus.

Cheers.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 11:33 am
SST

OK, EZMonnee, for those of us who have now had, say, three qualifying rentals (2 in May, one in June) and none of them have posted, how long should we wait before contacting someone, and WHO should we contact about getting our miles?
Old Jul 26, 2006, 7:43 pm

First of all, I want everyone to know that I am NOT going to fix their problems for them. I am not doing this as an employee, so I am not getting paid for this. I am simply providing a outlet for questions and issues to help clarify situations and make the rental process as hassle free as possible. Ive gotten quite a few PM's of people venting frustrations on this issue, when my only request was for information so I can help to pinpoint where the problem is happening to help the FT community.

I am a FT member and MR devotee just like the rest of you. I am not customer service. I am just now getting up to speed on this issue as I normally do not frequent this forum. You can all thank MileKing for bringing this to my attention yesterday afternoon. Since then I have been reading and getting acquainted with the issue, providing insight as I find it.

Originally Posted by youradvantagevoice
3. The AWD code K817125 triggers both the 25% discount and the mileage bonus. However, we discovered that when members input their Wizard number, for example, it was overriding the AWD code, so we added the CPN code MUAA067 to ensure the bonus miles would be received.
The more I think about it, the clearer it gets

, I see what hes trying to get at. MUAA067 WILL give you the miles.

So will K817125

Avis tracks particpation in this program via the AWD Code. (SEE Avis AWD 101 thread in avis forum). However if the AWD changes, Avis can track the promotion through the Coupon Code, as a backup.

though I cannot confirm this is the case, yourAadvoice seems to be right on here as an insider. So it is my expert opinion that you should ensure both coupon and awd is in the reservation. The AWD will give you the discount alone, but the miles are predicated on the following.

1> The customer properly presents the AWD Code,coupon,ffm number to the Agent.
2> The Avis agent properly ads the said information to the account if not already there.
3> The information is still there, and correct, at the end of the rental.

Third-to SST's question....

This is for everyone who has mileage problems. My honest suggestion regardless of promotion is this.

1> When you get your check in reciept, make sure your FFM number is on the receipt. If its not, your not going to get any miles, dont leave the counter until you have a receipt with your FFM number on it. Also, the final reciept will show the final posted AWD number. Check both before leaving the lot.

2> I am assuming that you guys are pros at obtaining miles through alternate means (non flight) and know the AA program well. When obtaining miles from Avis, or other rental companies, if your correct miles have not posted by the typical posting period, someone should be making phone calls or inquiries through AA and Avis.

3> For those of you who already have significantly eclipsed the mileage time intervalm,as in this case, make sure you hold on to all reciepts. Check your reciept. If there is a FFM fee of less than $2.00, you have every right to complain loudly. If the fee is there, the miles must be there or they must remove the fee.

Now in a bid to avoid a mass stampede of angry FT'ers, please be nice. The person on the end of the phone was not the person who caused this issue.

First try this link and get a copy of your final reciept/rental agreement.

https://www.avis.com/AvisWeb/custome...entalAgreement

And if your rental agreement doesnt have the right AWD and Right FFM Number, call 800 customer service and have them correct it.

If your number is not on there, you could add it here, or call 800# support.

http://www.avis.com/AvisWeb/customerservice/RequestPastRentalAgreement?ACTION=ADD

4> For future rentals yet to occur, check your reservations, DO NOT MODIFY ONLINE, but check them online.

https://www.avis.com/AvisWeb/custome...MVCReservation

and verify the right information is in the rental. Make special note of FFM Number, AWD Code, Coupon Code etc etc.

Originally Posted by SST
OK, EZMonnee, for those of us who have now had, say, three qualifying rentals (2 in May, one in June) and none of them have posted, how long should we wait before contacting someone, and WHO should we contact about getting our miles?

Last edited by ezmonee; Jul 26, 2006 at 10:20 pm
Old Jul 26, 2006, 7:47 pm

As a point of source, if AA says "per rental" then AA must honor it. The terms and conditions of the promotion are on the AA.Com website, therefore all bonus miles are the direct result of AA Adding the miles to your account, not Avis. Once a qualifying rental event occurrs, Avis notifies AA and then AA Credits miles, not Avis. It is Avis' duty to have your FFM Number in the file and the valid AWD and coupon if properly presented by the customer.

But for the record, According to the T&C, it clearly says per rental, whether corrected after the fact or not.

Originally Posted by brp
Actually, it is good to hear this from the Avis side. All along AA have been saying that it is per rental. I even got am email from AAdvantage CS explicitly mentioning this. Previously (earlier in this thread), people had indicated that Avis were telling them it was one time, period, contradicting AAdvantage (which had it right). Good to see that you guys are now with the program as well ^

Cheers.

Last edited by ezmonee; Jul 26, 2006 at 10:19 pm
Old Jul 26, 2006, 10:31 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ezmonee
As a point of source, if AA says "per rental" then AA must honor it. The terms and conditions of the promotion are on the AA.Com website, therefore all bonus miles are the direct result of AA Adding the miles to your account, not Avis. Once a qualifying rental event occurrs, Avis notifies AA and then AA Credits miles, not Avis. It is Avis' duty to have your FFM Number in the file and the valid AWD and coupon if properly presented by the customer.

But for the record, According to the T&C, it clearly says per rental, whether corrected after the fact or not.
You made me go through the whole thread to find it, but I did . here is where we seem to have some contradiction from Avis. I agree about who posts the miles, but Avis is involved, and there seemed to be some confusion there.

As for the AAdvantage T&C...it did not, at the beginning, say that it was per rental. It didn't say either way, which also lead to confusion. It was later changed to be more clear.

Just reporting based on what I read here

Cheers.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 10:49 pm

avis employees were most likely provided a copy of the T&C at the beginning of the promotion and not updated until AA updated and redistributed to Avis. Since Avis was not the Genesis of the program, and the language was modified due to obvious confusion on AA's own team in relation to their partners. The error was in AA's language.

And when it comes to "bonus" mile promotions, the only miles paid for by Avis are the 50 per day. Any other bonus miles is paid for by AA as AA gets a comission for each rental generated by the promotions. Avis does not pay for those miles, those are miles generated by AA to get you to rent under their AWD code to obtain their comission.

The common misconception is that Avis and other rental car companies approach the Airlines. While this may be the case, the decision on which rental company is featured on AA's promotion is based upon the compensation package presented to AA. AA acts like a Travel Agent and gets a comission on each transaction. What they do to entice people to use their program is up to them.

I hope this clears up misconceptions of "ball dropping" or "getting with the program" on this issue.

Originally Posted by brp
As for the AAdvantage T&C...it did not, at the beginning, say that it was per rental. It didn't say either way, which also lead to confusion. It was later changed to be more clear.

Just reporting based on what I read here

Cheers.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 10:52 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hope this clears up misconceptions of "ball dropping" or "getting with the program" on this issue.
Indeed it does. Thanks for the clarification ^. (Given the option, I have no trouble believing that AA's wording was the genesis of the issue )

Cheers.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 3:00 pm
Original Member

car class changed, 2 days 23 hours charged

ezmonee some advice please....

My points didn't post either but if I pull up the receipts I see some issues.

The rental was for a Class C and the original receipt showed Class C
when I turned it in. But if I pull up the rental online, it shows as a Class W
(They substituted a Suzuki SUV )

Also it was a preferred select rental for 5/4/06 7:15 pm return 7:15 pm on
5/7. I picked it up around 6:45 on 5/4/06 and returned it at 6:45pm on 5/7
I wanted to make sure it was 3 days (I thought the time would should as
6:45 or later).

The receipt shows I picked it up at 8:00 pm and returned at 6:44pm so it
has 3 days charge and 2 days 23 hours rental.

My impression was that I was early picking the car up and they would update the time of rental but I guess they just handed me the contract and the time wasn't updated since it was an express????

Do I have any hope of getting the bonus points ? Who do I contact Avis customer service or AA or forget it since it'll take forever to explain to someone who isn't familar with the promotion. I'm stubborn for point credits
but this seems touchier than just missing codes or points.

Thanks for the advice and appreciate your efforts to help guide us!

Take Care! Bill
Old Jul 27, 2006, 10:39 pm

This is another example of why we should be looking over the receipt. Avis does, in general, update the time properly. But apparently the person who gave you the contract or checked you out at the gate (depending on location) did not note the ACTUAL time of pickup.

You could have fixed that before you left (as pickup time is editable on preferred contracts only), but when the car contract closes more than 24 hours ago, the only recourse to fix the timing error is to void the contract, redo the entire thing, and put in the correct times. In that case, you wouldnt get the points either because the new redone contract was not booked within the time period for booking a reservation.

I have heard that Avis promotions will grant the points/mileage as long as the rate code you are on reflects the intent of the promotion. Does that mean the same thing for AAdvantage? I do not know. A weekly 25$ off coupon works as long as you rent a car 4 days and 4 hours, becauae at 4 days and 4 hours the rate switches to weekly.

In your case, you may or may not. The specific issue is "did Avis credit you with 50x3=150" advantage miles for that trip? If not, then its my guess you will not get the bonus miles without some sort of intervention. Through AA's own language, you will be getting "bonus miles on top of your 50 miles per rental day". SO if you dont get the 50 miles per day, or you didn't get 150 rental miles, the chances of your bonus miles coming through are nil.

Originally Posted by billhallNY
ezmonee some advice please....

My points didn't post either but if I pull up the receipts I see some issues.

The rental was for a Class C and the original receipt showed Class C
when I turned it in. But if I pull up the rental online, it shows as a Class W
(They substituted a Suzuki SUV )

Also it was a preferred select rental for 5/4/06 7:15 pm return 7:15 pm on
5/7. I picked it up around 6:45 on 5/4/06 and returned it at 6:45pm on 5/7
I wanted to make sure it was 3 days (I thought the time would should as
6:45 or later).

The receipt shows I picked it up at 8:00 pm and returned at 6:44pm so it
has 3 days charge and 2 days 23 hours rental.

My impression was that I was early picking the car up and they would update the time of rental but I guess they just handed me the contract and the time wasn't updated since it was an express????

Do I have any hope of getting the bonus points ? Who do I contact Avis customer service or AA or forget it since it'll take forever to explain to someone who isn't familar with the promotion. I'm stubborn for point credits
but this seems touchier than just missing codes or points.

Thanks for the advice and appreciate your efforts to help guide us!

Take Care! Bill
Old Jul 27, 2006, 11:16 pm
Original Member

yes the 3*50 posted fine. Do I contact AAdvantage or Avis customer service to try to get the points credited? Thanks!
Old Jul 28, 2006, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by billhallNY
yes the 3*50 posted fine. Do I contact AAdvantage or Avis customer service to try to get the points credited? Thanks!
if avis posted the 3*50, my next step would be to check with AA. Granted I havent taken this Grail hunt myself, but I do believe, based on my expert knowledge, that this is the next prudent step.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 5:13 am

I had a 2 day 18 hour rental and received the bonus so I don't think there is an issue there.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 5:28 am

if avis posted the 3*50, my next step would be to check with AA.
My suggestion would be to send it directly to Avis. I believe once AA receives it, they will turn around and send to Avis for an approval, and will not post any miles without their approval. I have missing Avis bonus miles and have I sent mine directly to Avis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.