Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA and Partner Airline Award info, rules (NOT for oneworld Explorer Awards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2013, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post, and edit this Wikipost to update.

FOR THE CURRENT, 2014, THREAD ON THIS TOPIC, PLEASE SEE: AA and Partner Airline Award info, rules (NOT for oneworld Explorer Awards) 2014 on

updated 20 Jan 2014
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA and Partner Airline Award info, rules (NOT for oneworld Explorer Awards)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2006, 7:14 am

cash would be around 350eur+tax, which is decent, w/1 free stopover in IST

Originally Posted by johnep1
You are not allowed a stopover if your trip is entirely within a zone (other than North America).

However, have you taken a look at how much the tickets you want would cost using cash? There are a lot of pretty cheap intra-Europe tickets, and I would think PAR-IST-ATH-PAR would not be too expensive. Just being able to stop in IST would cause me to pay for the ticket with cash instead of miles.
Old Mar 22, 2006, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by legend214
cash would be around 350eur+tax, which is decent, w/1 free stopover in IST
That's really about a push with using miles since you're looking at spending around $400 or 20,000 miles. If I really wanted the stopover, that would tip the scales towards the cash ticket for me.

IST is a great, and affordable, city.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 6:34 am

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
You can still use open jaws on intra-Europe awards, you could do PAR-IST/ATH-PAR then buy a IST-ATH one-way ticket ($150). Still maybe not the best use of miles however.

I just redeemed an intra-Europe RIX-LGW-KEF-LGW-BRU award for 20k, a good deal as the flights alone were running over $1100
Old Apr 3, 2006, 10:13 am

Programs: AA, Hilton, Hyatt
can one do stopover and openjaw on asia2 award?

I am trying to book a AA all partner award for the following itinerary, can one do a stopover and openjaw on Asia2 award?? (have searched for openjaw/stopover but couldn't seem to find good examples for itinerary...)

LAX - NRT (2 days stopover) - SIN (destination)
travel to HKG on my own
HKG(openjaw) - NRT - LAX

need to route through NRT back to LAX since I am meeting up w/ friends on way back. thanks!!
Old Apr 3, 2006, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by Helen123
I am trying to book a AA all partner award for the following itinerary, can one do a stopover and openjaw on Asia2 award?? (have searched for openjaw/stopover but couldn't seem to find good examples for itinerary...)

LAX - NRT (2 days stopover) - SIN (destination)
travel to HKG on my own
HKG(openjaw) - NRT - LAX

need to route through NRT back to LAX since I am meeting up w/ friends on way back. thanks!!
Yes, this is fine. You can stopover at the international gateway city (NRT) either on the outbound or on the return, but not both times. In addition, you may have an open jaw.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton, Hyatt
>>Yes, this is fine. You can stopover at the international gateway city (NRT) either on the outbound or on the return, but not both times. In addition, you may have an open jaw.

Thanks so much, JIMCHI! always good to know the rules before start calling..
Old Apr 3, 2006, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
Yes, this is fine. You can stopover at the international gateway city (NRT) either on the outbound or on the return, but not both times. In addition, you may have an open jaw.
And one could also add a domestic stopover at the gateway city.
Old Apr 29, 2006, 10:45 am

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
I'm booking an award ticket, MSY-YYZ. Would it be possible to stopover in LAX or is that too far out of the way?
Old Apr 30, 2006, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by tormapleaf
I'm booking an award ticket, MSY-YYZ. Would it be possible to stopover in LAX or is that too far out of the way?
I would guess this is okay.

Honestly, we should have a better place to post these type of questions. They are valid questions, and no one is reading this thread anymore...nor no one is going to read through all the old pages.
Old May 3, 2006, 11:38 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
I was just told the following itinerary was a no-go:
AUS-ORD-YYZ/open-jaw/ORD-NRT-PEK/dest/PEK-NRT-ORD-AUS
but AUS-ORD/stopover/ORD-NRT-PEK/dest/PEK-NRT-ORD-AUS is OK.

I've been able to do similar open-jaw itins before:
AUS-DFW-MIA-LIM/open-jaw/CUZ-LIM-UIO/dest/UIO-LIM-DFW-AUS

maybe because the start of the open jaw was the gateway?

Any way I could get in YYZ on this itinerary? No availability on CX or BA on the days I need, and JL doesn't fly to YYZ.

It may be a push anyway, and just buying a one-way to YYZ instead.

Last edited by hauteboy; May 3, 2006 at 11:45 pm
Old May 6, 2006, 4:45 pm

Would this be a vaild award?

TVC-ORD-MIA-SAL [end]

SAL-MIA-MCO [stop]

MCO-ORD-TVC

The AAgent told me it would not since MCO was not the gateway. Do you concur or see a way around this?

I guess I could just buy MIA-MCO...would it be valid then?
Old May 20, 2006, 11:32 am

deleted

Last edited by writetorich; Jun 11, 2006 at 10:02 pm Reason: no longer relevant
Old Jun 8, 2006, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Jon,

Have you considered moving this info into the wiki so changes can be logged and tracked and be made by multiple people (including volunteer editors), plus content can by hyperlinked and organized much more easily? I was completely unaware that it was being updated here.

I inadvertently already duplicated some info by posting award booking inventory that I had on my hard drive in the wiki here, but the rest of the info could go there as well.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 1:08 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hillrider
Jon,

Have you considered moving this info into the wiki so changes can be logged and tracked and be made by multiple people (including volunteer editors), plus content can by hyperlinked and organized much more easily? I was completely unaware that it was being updated here.

I inadvertently already duplicated some info by posting award booking inventory that I had on my hard drive in the wiki here, but the rest of the info could go there as well.
That's a nice lookin' wiki! Never saw it before. Feel free to copy and paste any of the info in the OP here to over there-- the easier to find the info the better (although I'm still pretty sure most people won't look )
Old Jun 11, 2006, 9:58 pm

where are these rules posted? and the miles required?

Originally Posted by CharlesMD
You can't fly LAX-HKG-LHR-YYZ-BOS-DFW-SFO and then SFO-YVR-LHR-NRT-LAX for example on the OW award because once you touch North America on the outbound you're not permitted to go back around the world. (??)

Last edited by writetorich; Jun 22, 2006 at 11:04 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.